Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
873 posts
457 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mikebc wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:05 pm
Are you 100% sure on that one pike18? I had applications in for 2 zones and no one ever said it wasn't allowed.

Regarding a promotion to FT/PT, no you can't turn it down. You'll be backfilled to a station within your zone (usually 2 weeks at a time) until you bid on a position to own. You can choose not to bid if you don't like the depots that have open RLC positions, unless they assign you a position when you get your designation (which does happen, but it's rare). Backfill positions will guarantee you get a 2-4 week route, as opposed to being low RLC in station who will be getting daily assignments. Once that 2 week backfill expires they'll send you to another station for 2-4 weeks.

If you really don't like a station you're backfilled into you can try to take your vacation and/or personal days immediately to wait out a bid cycle. You will get a percentage of your 3 weeks holiday and 5 personal days based on how long is left in the "year" (holidays re-roll on April 1st, personal days re-roll on July 1). You can also go on leave without pay if the supervisor approves it.

edit: *2-4 weeks I think.
Yes, 100%. I originally had an application submitted with two different zones and it was denied. I had to resubmit with the zone I belonged to as a casual. This is why I transferred from Oakville to Hamilton as a casual before I was hired. Oakville’s casuals belong to GTA West, so I could only apply for FT-LC there unless I transferred casual call lists to Hamilton.
May 2, 2012
873 posts
457 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:47 pm
I have added PT LC already. Here is my question. If I am hired on, and all my casual status was spent in Stoney Creek, can I be sent to Oakville or anywhere that needs me? Coming in from Niagara to Stoney Creek every day wasn't bad, but if I am all of a sudden sent to Oakville, that would be a long drive, ever single day. Can I turn down FT till a position comes up in a depot of my choosing?

I am guessing not, but I thought I would ask.
You could be, but realistically you would probably end up being auto-assigned to either Depot 1 or Burlington until you successfully bid on a position.

When you are hired, you’re classified as “unassigned” where you backfill positions (usually in between bids for a month) until you secure a walk or relief position.

If work volume is the highest priority until you’re hired, you may want to look into transferring depots to depot 1. It’s notoriously undesirable and can be challenging due to the urban and high business nature of the walks, but there’s always lots of casuals in house. We’re going through a restructure in Feb, so I’m not sure that will affect staffing levels.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4824 posts
1523 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:13 pm
......and they're still a rip-off
I thought 49$ monthly for 20gb data plan was an ok deal with the discount
Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
55 upvotes
I'm considering putting in a transfer to LC from casual P04 to get full-time faster, so I was looking for weight vests online to go walking with to be somewhat prepared. Funnily enough, everywhere I look says how bad they are on the knees, hips and joints when you wear them for long periods of time.

My question is: How're you multi-year LC's doing physically? Can you feel your body wearing down significantly? I've talked to some of the ex-LC's at my depot that have transferred to P04, most of them told me I shouldn't transfer to LC in its current state but part of me still likes the idea if I can prepare myself as much as possible before-hand.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1985 posts
528 upvotes
dilbertojonesy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:21 am
I'm considering putting in a transfer to LC from casual P04 to get full-time faster, so I was looking for weight vests online to go walking with to be somewhat prepared. Funnily enough, everywhere I look says how bad they are on the knees, hips and joints when you wear them for long periods of time.

My question is: How're you multi-year LC's doing physically? Can you feel your body wearing down significantly? I've talked to some of the ex-LC's at my depot that have transferred to P04, most of them told me I shouldn't transfer to LC in its current state but part of me still likes the idea if I can prepare myself as much as possible before-hand.
They're no worse than gaining that weight and walking around with it. Head to the gym and do exercises that will strengthen the muscles that will help offset the additional weight's impact on joints/knees.
For this reason, you will never see the big body builders jogging/running.

What is the max weight that you expect to have on those bags? 30lbs? 80lbs?
Jan 13, 2013
354 posts
177 upvotes
Vancouver
airmail wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:45 am
There's no way that's Canada wide.
May 22, 2015
817 posts
980 upvotes
Vancouver
PT makes footwalks better for you as you can shorten your loops if needed. Old system footwalks were much worse IMO. Also, routes are now more mixed and the trend is moving towards more boxes anyway.

People get knee and back issues after 30 years, not 3. I would ignore what most of the old guard tells you because yes, it did use to be much better, but hanging onto those memories isn't doing anyone favours. We're not going back, this is the job now. Most of the senior LCA's who moved inside have never done PT or tried it and didn't stick with it long enpugh to learn it. They're not the best test for what's good - you need hours and seniority, you need to do what's best for you.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
airmail wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:45 am
Wow. Never seen anything close to that on those networks. More details?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 4, 2016
116 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:23 am
PT makes footwalks better for you as you can shorten your loops if needed. Old system footwalks were much worse IMO. Also, routes are now more mixed and the trend is moving towards more boxes anyway.

People get knee and back issues after 30 years, not 3. I would ignore what most of the old guard tells you because yes, it did use to be much better, but hanging onto those memories isn't doing anyone favours. We're not going back, this is the job now. Most of the senior LCA's who moved inside have never done PT or tried it and didn't stick with it long enpugh to learn it. They're not the best test for what's good - you need hours and seniority, you need to do what's best for you.
I'm 3 years in and i got knee, hip, and back pain.... Face With Tears Of JoyI'm still in my 20's too Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
May 22, 2015
817 posts
980 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm thinking you would've had the same pain on an old system footwalk too then. Not everyone can do the job, it's not physically easy on you but your body should be able to handle a few years of it while you gain seniority to get onto a mobile.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
dilbertojonesy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:21 am

Go for long walks and get your legs used to being sore afterwards, coz that's how you'll feel every day.

As mentioned before, you don't have to overburden yourself with weight, you learn to make shorter loops and carry less.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2015
817 posts
980 upvotes
Vancouver
I wouldn't go with a weight vest as that puts weight on your shoulders and back. You need to get 70%+ of the weight on your hips if you're going to be carrying longterm.

I would just wear your uniform (if you have one) and go into a local depot (if you're not in one already) and ask if they have a spare satchel in their clothes pile. Fill up 4 2L pop bottles with water and you're at 25 lbs which is honestly more than you'll carry for 99% of your loops.

Most of your time as a term will not be spent doing footwalks. Just going for a 15 km walk (with no weight, at a brisk pace) is more important than struggling along with weight. As Hugh said, your legs will be sore from the distance not the weight.
Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
55 upvotes
vodka wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:29 am
They're no worse than gaining that weight and walking around with it. Head to the gym and do exercises that will strengthen the muscles that will help offset the additional weight's impact on joints/knees.
For this reason, you will never see the big body builders jogging/running.

What is the max weight that you expect to have on those bags? 30lbs? 80lbs?
Thx - It's always been a struggle for me to gain weight so I'm not used to it but I'll definitely build up some muscle before switching.

I had heard 30-40lbs but that could have been exaggerated.
May 2, 2012
873 posts
457 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:57 am
Wow. Never seen anything close to that on those networks. More details?
I have the 30% discount with 6GB on Rogers and it’s costing me almost $80 after tax in Ontario. I imagine it depends on the device “tab” or whatever each company calls it as well as which province you’re in. Ontario tends to be one of the more expensive I believe.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:23 am

Yep, ignore the senior advisors, the key is to live healthy, exercise at least 3 times a week cause the job will be much easier if your in better shape. Keep your weight under control and don't drink too much.

20 years now, I balance my load so that I seldom carry more than 30 points of call. Body feels fine, some winter days I certainly feel it, but the rest of the year it's no problem.

Just don't be a hero and carry too much at once, doesn't save anytime, just will wear down your body.

It's a good job, once your out of the depot you have complete independence which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

Postieman, Crazyhorse75