Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
791 posts
416 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:19 pm
Well after a solid December run, my assignment expired on Jan 5 and I have been benched in Hamilton this week it seems. I hear Monday was terrible all over, but I guess not terrible enough to bring in help. Hoping more hours come soon.

Also, is there a quick way of checking hours worked? I guess I just need to add up hours via the paystubs and see how close I am to the 480. Can't wait to get some uniform stuff as doing laundry every second day to not stink, really stinks :p
Monday at depot 1 was just a regular Monday including full coverage of Cogeco addressed admail.

there was a IWW picket line last night in front of the Millen plant, so mail and parcels were super light. I would be by your phone for the next couple days.
Oct 11, 2018
163 posts
96 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:00 pm
Monday at depot 1 was just a regular Monday including full coverage of Cogeco addressed admail.

there was a IWW picket line last night in front of the Millen plant, so mail and parcels were super light. I would be by your phone for the next couple days.
Thanks, Pike. I am at Millen and was totally unaware of the picket line. Hopefully I'll get a call soon.
May 2, 2012
791 posts
416 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:33 pm
Thanks, Pike. I am at Millen and was totally unaware of the picket line. Hopefully I'll get a call soon.
Once the snow flies, I’m sure you’ll be fine
Nov 12, 2017
181 posts
178 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:47 pm
I believe what's happened is during December they weren't "staffing to workload", they were just staffing +n per depot based on what the staffer needed. Now that we're no longer in "holiday volumes" and weekend delivery is over they're back to base level staffing where they'll only call in terms to fill a specific slot. Except they stopped weekend delivery way too early and we're still way behind (monos still double stacked waiting to be processed since Monday).

Anyway.. your paystub might show your "YTD" (year to date) hours worked, or at very least, your YTD earnings, which you can divide by your hourly rate. The earnings shown will be pre-tax so it should be straightforward.
850hrs for my first full year :/
could be worse, but it certainly cannot be my only source of income.
Oct 11, 2018
163 posts
96 upvotes
leyland1989 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:58 am
850hrs for my first full year :/
could be worse, but it certainly cannot be my only source of income.
Yikes! That averages out to two days per week in a year. Where are you based out of?
Oct 11, 2018
163 posts
96 upvotes
Anyone know if CP has a policy in place outlining when it isn't safe to work due to extreme temperatures? If -65 celsius with the wind were to hit, that really isn't safe to work outdoors in. Same for the summer when temps have reached near 50 degrees with humidity.

Not trolling, asking a legitimate question.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1484 posts
1078 upvotes
at the chiropractors
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:27 am
Anyone know if CP has a policy in place outlining when it isn't safe to work due to extreme temperatures? If -65 celsius with the wind were to hit, that really isn't safe to work outdoors in. Same for the summer when temps have reached near 50 degrees with humidity.

They usually say to keep warming up and hand out "hand warmers". There is no set temperature limit although you can stop delivering anytime when you feel that it is no longer safe to work , under some article in the contract...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
404 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver
If it doesn't feel safe, don't do it. That's a worksafe standard which trumps anything in the CP collective agreement.

Generally you'll cut down to 1 flyer section and parcels if things are bad. On really bad days during our annual forest fires thats what we have the option of doing.
Apr 7, 2013
810 posts
457 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote:

Here any extreme conditions result in the option of doing flyer section and scannables. Icy streets don't get delivered until sidewalks are treated.
Oct 11, 2018
163 posts
96 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:29 am
Here any extreme conditions result in the option of doing flyer section and scannables. Icy streets don't get delivered until sidewalks are treated.
I'd hope they bring in terms to help with any backup of mail resulting from unsafe delivery conditions. Hardly fair to route owners if they are solely responsible for clearing backlogs themselves.
May 22, 2015
404 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver
Basically you get a spare section to sort in what you didn't deliver, if you're bringing back 2.

Realistically you're doing all your CMB's and if you're on a full CMB route you're probably going to be doing your whole route and carding oversize / PCI's into the box (since driveways and sidewalks won't be "safe"). You shouldn't need too much help clearing any backlog because you've got so much spare sort time and only clearing door-to-door or drive-and-deliver on its flyer day.

If we're talking about heat, generally you're okay skipping a section (with supervisor approval) - just say hydrated and covered. TBH I did my full footwalk route when we had our smoke advisory, we even had the big Ikea catalogues in summer 2017. That wasn't fun, but you're not outside for 8 hours a day like some other jobs so I don't think we have much room to complain. Businesses still need mail and people still need their bills, we can't cut our delivery everytime it's uncomfortable outside (though many do, and it bothers me). I'm not trying to escalate a crab bucket mentality, but some employees really do take advantage of "health and safety" related hazards. Other jobs don't get the option to take half days, we shouldn't abuse it.
Nov 12, 2017
181 posts
178 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:01 am
Yikes! That averages out to two days per week in a year. Where are you based out of?
Eastern Ontario.
Spring and Fall can go without a single call for months, or get called in once to pay the Union due.
May 2, 2012
791 posts
416 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:

As others have mentioned, workplace safety is a constant self-evaluation. If you have taken reasonable precautions and something feels unsafe, don’t do it and advise a supervisor. The CA clause is 33.13 if you get pushback.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1484 posts
1078 upvotes
at the chiropractors
How is everybody's parcel volume? I am getting more now, than before Christmas, and waaaaaay more scannables/customs items. Something smells fishy.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11126 posts
2590 upvotes
GTA
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:20 pm
How is everybody's parcel volume? I am getting more now, than before Christmas, and waaaaaay more scannables/customs items. Something smells fishy.....
Same with me, although yesterday was light as hell.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

FrankW77994, roderickvc