Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
55 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:23 am
PT makes footwalks better for you as you can shorten your loops if needed. Old system footwalks were much worse IMO. Also, routes are now more mixed and the trend is moving towards more boxes anyway.

People get knee and back issues after 30 years, not 3. I would ignore what most of the old guard tells you because yes, it did use to be much better, but hanging onto those memories isn't doing anyone favours. We're not going back, this is the job now. Most of the senior LCA's who moved inside have never done PT or tried it and didn't stick with it long enpugh to learn it. They're not the best test for what's good - you need hours and seniority, you need to do what's best for you.
Thanks for the comments. The ex-LC's were a mix of full-time and part-time that have moved to Full-time P04 - From 7-15 years experience. There are many transferring in and taking the P04 full-time positions when they open up in my city so that's why I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to move forward.
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:22 am
I would just wear your uniform (if you have one) and go into a local depot (if you're not in one already) and ask if they have a spare satchel in their clothes pile. Fill up 4 2L pop bottles with water and you're at 25 lbs which is honestly more than you'll carry for 99% of your loops.

Most of your time as a term will not be spent doing footwalks. Just going for a 15 km walk (with no weight, at a brisk pace) is more important than struggling along with weight. As Hugh said, your legs will be sore from the distance not the weight.
Good idea about the satchel. I thought it was mainly supported by your shoulders but I guess your whole core will carry the load. Going to go on some epic walks in preparation. I know I probably sound like a wimp but it's a risk moving to LC from P04 because I probably won't be able to transfer back to P04 anytime soon as I will be behind all of the other LC's in the transfer list - so I need to put myself in the best position to succeed.

Once you hit permanent Part-time/Full-time, does your seniority change to when you got Part-time/Full-time or does it stay with the date you were first hired as a casual?

Thanks.

edit: just realized PT stands for Postal Transformation lol
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:29 am
Just don't be a hero and carry too much at once, doesn't save anytime, just will wear down your body.
This! No supervisor or anyone else is going to pat you on the back for overburdening yourself. And if you take a fall and injure yourself you will have to face an interrogation.

Do you have an pre-existing injuries or conditions?
When I started as LC I was in good shape (aside from being on the wrong side of 40) and did push myself a bit like most newbies until I figured out how to deliver more efficiently. A couple of years ago I was injured in a car accident and have back and shoulder pain. I'm in physio every week and do a strict regimen of daily stretches and exercises but I'm still usually sore at the end of the day unless it has been a light day.
I shorten my loops to carry as little as possible, leave the oversize/overweight parcels for Assisted Delivery (team) and will even use a hand cart for those heavy catalog days. I'm still usually exhausted at the end of the day (500+ call footwalk, all door-to-door).
Initially I tried working inside on the accommodated duty list but I found that work was actually worse for my condition so I went back outside where I can be more active and doing less lifting and carrying.
I might try and bid on a route that has more panels or CMBs to ease my workload but I really prefer door-to-door with the ability to easily deliver parcels, meet customers and just being outside.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
966 upvotes
Vancouver
How many months do you have as a casual? Are you in a region/zone that has a plant? In cities with major hubs, people transfer to P04 to bypass the LC waitlist for FT. At least in Vancouver, you go work at the plant if you want fulltime as fast as possible as the churn there is constant. Are you sure LC is hiring faster than IA in your zone?

edit: Seniority is based on your original hire date as a term, *once you make it to permanent status*. For a while during the hiring freeze, as a term, I had more seniority than fulltime reliefs who took the quick route through the plant then transferred to LC. It sucks when people like that come in, with 2 years less service, but they get first pick because they're permanent and you're still waiting your turn like an idiot. Most of the time I'd be forced to take these people out and retrain them, in their cushy long term cover that I was next in line for, because they took the quick route. You can't hate on people for working the loophole intentionally left open in the system, but damn if people didn't give group hoppers the cold shoulder until they proved they were capable employees.
Feb 4, 2016
116 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:23 pm
How many months do you have as a casual? Are you in a region/zone that has a plant? In cities with major hubs, people transfer to P04 to bypass the LC waitlist for FT. At least in Vancouver, you go work at the plant if you want fulltime as fast as possible as the churn there is constant. Are you sure LC is hiring faster than IA in your zone?

edit: Seniority is based on your original hire date as a term, *once you make it to permanent status*. For a while during the hiring freeze, as a term, I had more seniority than fulltime reliefs who took the quick route through the plant then transferred to LC. It sucks when people like that come in, with 2 years less service, but they get first pick because they're permanent and you're still waiting your turn like an idiot. Most of the time I'd be forced to take these people out and retrain them, in their cushy long term cover that I was next in line for, because they took the quick route. You can't hate on people for working the loophole intentionally left open in the system, but damn if people didn't give group hoppers the cold shoulder until they proved they were capable employees.
I got it perm in Vancouver in like 6 months though.. and ft perm in 2 months and this was 3 years ago. Vancouver as well.
Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
55 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm about 10 months seniority (was a Christmas casual before that but that doesn't count). I work in the plant as a P04 but get hardly any hours from Feb to July. The turnover for LC's is insane where I am so even with only a years seniority it's possible to get full-time LC pretty quickly vs the years it would take in the plant. There are people with 10+ years experience who are too low to get on the day shift in the plant. If I transfer to LC, it will definitely be taking the quick route but the alternative is being on-call P04, mainly getting calls for nightshift and only for a third of the year because I ended up near the bottom when they mass-hired temps last year.
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kehfun wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:01 am
I'm 3 years in and i got knee, hip, and back pain.... Face With Tears Of JoyI'm still in my 20's too Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
I'm almost 4 years, I got knee, hip, back pain too, but am able to recover during the weekends, lol..
Feb 4, 2016
116 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:37 pm
I'm almost 4 years, I got knee, hip, back pain too, but am able to recover during the weekends, lol..
Weekends not enough for recovery anymore Face With Tears Of Joy. Usually play hockey on the weekends. Don't know how to recover any quicker anymore. Need unlimited massage benefits.....
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
kehfun wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:40 pm
Weekends not enough for recovery anymore Face With Tears Of Joy. Usually play hockey on the weekends. Don't know how to recover any quicker anymore. Need unlimited massage benefits.....
If it's that bad u need to look for a CMB route.
Feb 4, 2016
116 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:31 am
If it's that bad u need to look for a CMB route.
Don't know. To me I think I own a pretty cushy apartment walk. It just has the most walkarounds in the depot Face With Tears Of Joy. No rushing or anything and I'll be done relatively early. Just carrying them flyers suck. Think I have like 1800POC
Oct 26, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
Damn thats not bad at all. I didnt know about the employee discounts until I overheard some coworkers talking about it recently. Im paying $49 a month for 5 gbs of data with Fido. I thought I was getting a deal, mind you this was just as I was being hired by the company, Im going to see if they can reconfigure my plan. Does these discounts apply to part-timers?
Oct 26, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:28 am
I'm not trying to escalate a crab bucket mentality, but some employees really do take advantage of "health and safety" related hazards. Other jobs don't get the option to take half days, we shouldn't abuse it.
Having worked some other union jobs, I am surprised at the amount of 'thats health and safety issue-throw-my-hands-up and walk away' that happens at CP. Daily morning meetings with LJOSH (or whatever the acronym is) about 'ok guys its cold out there, no running near the pool, etc..' I appreciate the safety net, and its great to know that someone has got your back but at what point does the whole H&S apparatus become cumbersome and unwieldy and over involved and you bet people are going to take advantage. "I cant see over my end of aisle cart, Im putting in a work refusal" Ive been working inside for the past month or so, and its mostly the inside workers I hear complaining. The first wave LC route owners are grinders and I never hear them grieve.

Just something that Ive noticed coming from other jobs where nit picking for health and safety issues as opposed to knuckling down and gettin 'er done would probably get you canned or benched.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
966 upvotes
Vancouver
We have an older, smaller fellow.. probably early 60's.. who covers our evening RPO run position. Since that's a 5 hour PT position he has a standing agreement to come in 3 hours early and run sections or parcels as his extension. It works for him because he has 3 hours to do a section, and he needs that extra hour. The amount of young(er), physically able people I see nudge a "heavy" parcel and walk away saying "Oh I'll just get Jamie to do it" blows my mind. They're fully capable of doing it themselves but instead they'll push it off to someone else who is less physically capable than themselves. H&S is only used to pass the buck, who cares if it means someone else has to do it.

The same goes for when a large section of door-to-door is frozen over and hasn't gone out in a week. The route owner refuses to do it so they just throw it on a term to get it done. The term thinks they're getting a good deal because they were given 4 hours to do 150 calls.. wow sweet! Then they slip on the first call. That's not what H&S standards are for.
Sep 19, 2004
459 posts
120 upvotes
hi all, I'm a new hired fulltime LC and I have a quick question, are the group 1 positions in the plant?

I am on relief, my supervisor told me to try to bid a walk but definitely don't expect getting it in your first 1 or 2 years. I feel stressful working unfamiliar routes constantly. So if positions in group 1 are in the plant, do you guys think it's a good idea to transfer to group 1? what do they do there? btw I work in Toronto.

thanks in advance.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
966 upvotes
Vancouver
If you know a route and you don't mind it then bid. Don't bid on any route just to be a route owner. Supervisors tell you to do this to fill holes in their wave, but it's not in your best interest in your first few years. And heeeeere's why...

As an RLC you get an extra $.80/hr to do exactly what an LC route owner does. If you bid onto a walk and you want to transfer back to RLC because it's crap (and any walk you get as a 1-2 year will be garbage), your annual raise will reset. Meaning if your annual $1 raise comes every July 1st (as an RLC), you bid onto a route in September, then hate it and bid back to an RLC position in June, bam, you've lost 11 months of raise accrual. If it's a garbage walk which you have a shot at winning, chances are you'd end up covering it long term as an RLC at a higher rate anyway. If you are the lowest seniority route owner in the station and you lose a walk in a restructure, chances are you'll be forced back into an RLC role - there goes your annual raise as well.

Plus, as relief, there's the chance that you might get a high seniority walk due to injury, etc. Bid into a notoriously bad station and all of a sudden a 5 year RLC has first pick. Being an RLC going into a restructure is a good thing, you stand to get a nice long term walk from the beginning.

As for group 1, no, P04 positions (clerks and IA's) in depots are group 1 as well. LCA's (the people who put out parcels, mail, flyers and XX) are "inside" but they're still group 2. There are very few group 1 positions available in depots, most are high seniority and the rest are backfilled by people being accommodated for injuries. So yes, the bulk of the positions are available in the plant. You won't be getting a dayshift position for years though, get ready to work graveyard shifts in the parcel dock.

Just put in your time, take every week long vacation cover you can and hopefully you'll get a long term absence cover soon. If you're still getting day-to-day assignments as an RLC I'd consider moving to a lower seniority station. Unfortunately part of the job is slogging through crap for the first few years, there's really no way around it unless you get lucky.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)