Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sep 19, 2004
459 posts
120 upvotes
it's very helpful. looks like I should stay as relief for a while.

Thank you so much!
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mikebc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:23 pm
If you know a route and you don't mind it then bid. Don't bid on any route just to be a route owner. Supervisors tell you to do this to fill holes in their wave, but it's not in your best interest in your first few years. And heeeeere's why...

As an RLC you get an extra $.80/hr to do exactly what an LC route owner does. If you bid onto a walk and you want to transfer back to RLC because it's crap (and any walk you get as a 1-2 year will be garbage), your annual raise will reset. Meaning if your annual $1 raise comes every July 1st (as an RLC), you bid onto a route in September, then hate it and bid back to an RLC position in June, bam, you've lost 11 months of raise accrual. If it's a garbage walk which you have a shot at winning, chances are you'd end up covering it long term as an RLC at a higher rate anyway. If you are the lowest seniority route owner in the station and you lose a walk in a restructure, chances are you'll be forced back into an RLC role - there goes your annual raise as well.

Plus, as relief, there's the chance that you might get a high seniority walk due to injury, etc. Bid into a notoriously bad station and all of a sudden a 5 year RLC has first pick. Being an RLC going into a restructure is a good thing, you stand to get a nice long term walk from the beginning.

As for group 1, no, P04 positions (clerks and IA's) in depots are group 1 as well. LCA's (the people who put out parcels, mail, flyers and XX) are "inside" but they're still group 2. There are very few group 1 positions available in depots, most are high seniority and the rest are backfilled by people being accommodated for injuries. So yes, the bulk of the positions are available in the plant. You won't be getting a dayshift position for years though, get ready to work graveyard shifts in the parcel dock.

Just put in your time, take every week long vacation cover you can and hopefully you'll get a long term absence cover soon. If you're still getting day-to-day assignments as an RLC I'd consider moving to a lower seniority station. Unfortunately part of the job is slogging through crap for the first few years, there's really no way around it unless you get lucky.
How is bid after restructure work? Do everyone in the station bid according to seniority (include all walk owners and RLCs in that station)?
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Another question, do we get $0.00 pay on that day when we use our personal day?
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:23 pm
If you know a route and you don't mind it then bid. Don't bid on any route just to be a route owner. Supervisors tell you to do this to fill holes in their wave, but it's not in your best interest in your first few years. And heeeeere's why...

As an RLC you get an extra $.80/hr to do exactly what an LC route owner does. If you bid onto a walk and you want to transfer back to RLC because it's crap (and any walk you get as a 1-2 year will be garbage), your annual raise will reset. Meaning if your annual $1 raise comes every July 1st (as an RLC), you bid onto a route in September, then hate it and bid back to an RLC position in June, bam, you've lost 11 months of raise accrual. If it's a garbage walk which you have a shot at winning, chances are you'd end up covering it long term as an RLC at a higher rate anyway. If you are the lowest seniority route owner in the station and you lose a walk in a restructure, chances are you'll be forced back into an RLC role - there goes your annual raise as well.

Plus, as relief, there's the chance that you might get a high seniority walk due to injury, etc. Bid into a notoriously bad station and all of a sudden a 5 year RLC has first pick. Being an RLC going into a restructure is a good thing, you stand to get a nice long term walk from the beginning.

As for group 1, no, P04 positions (clerks and IA's) in depots are group 1 as well. LCA's (the people who put out parcels, mail, flyers and XX) are "inside" but they're still group 2. There are very few group 1 positions available in depots, most are high seniority and the rest are backfilled by people being accommodated for injuries. So yes, the bulk of the positions are available in the plant. You won't be getting a dayshift position for years though, get ready to work graveyard shifts in the parcel dock.

Just put in your time, take every week long vacation cover you can and hopefully you'll get a long term absence cover soon. If you're still getting day-to-day assignments as an RLC I'd consider moving to a lower seniority station. Unfortunately part of the job is slogging through crap for the first few years, there's really no way around it unless you get lucky.
Has anyone ever grieved that annual raise thing? That seems way outside the spirit of the agreement. I would never have bid to be a route owner if I knew my raise would be pushed back a few months and then pushed back again if I changed walks or bid back to relief. It doesn't make any sense why that would be the way it works. Also, literally no one has ever told me that that is the way it works.

One small quibble with what you wrote.. it's 54 cents more per hour. Not 80. 19.86 vs 20.40.

I'll be honest though. I regret bidding onto a walk. I like never not knowing what I'm doing but at this point I have seniority on basically every RLC and term in my depot. That extra $40 a check would make a real difference. It is tough though. I start at 8.. I'm really good at my walk. Over christmas, I probably made more than that $40 because I had tons of time to do OT that I might not have had on unknown walks. I'm leaning to having made the wrong choice though. I was on a long term abscence that I actually liked. We will likely have a restructure before the end of next year and I'm the lowest seniority route holder. Now, apparently over 50% of walks in station are over assessed so maybe that won't make a difference.. but who knows.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, it has been grieved many times. You get "1 raise" per year, therefore taking a pay cut from RLC to LC doesn't change your raise date -- but LC back to RLC will reset it.

What's really messed up is when you're first given permanent you're given LC rate. When you get your RLC position, bam, there's your raise. If you call payroll (AccessHR?) they'll confirm it, it's not a secret.

For this reason I personally think its a good idea to stay RLC until you're at max rate. Or at least be very choosy in what you bid on, because owning a bad route isn't doing the average employee any favours unless floating is absolutely driving them crazy.

The union is well aware this is going on. The union doesn't care about new employees. Look at all those terms hired after 2013 who went 4 years without a raise during the hiring freeze - was there any mention of retro top ups for them in the contract demands? There was an offer (from CP) to give new hires annual raises after 1000 hours, but for that group hired in those 4 years? Nothing.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:13 pm
Yes, it has been grieved many times. You get "1 raise" per year, therefore taking a pay cut from RLC to LC doesn't change your raise date -- but LC back to RLC will reset it.

What's really messed up is when you're first given permanent you're given LC rate. When you get your RLC position, bam, there's your raise. If you call payroll (AccessHR?) they'll confirm it, it's not a secret.

For this reason I personally think its a good idea to stay RLC until you're at max rate. Or at least be very choosy in what you bid on, because owning a bad route isn't doing the average employee any favours unless floating is absolutely driving them crazy.

The union is well aware this is going on. The union doesn't care about new employees. Look at all those terms hired after 2013 who went 4 years without a raise during the hiring freeze - was there any mention of retro top ups for them in the contract demands? There was an offer (from CP) to give new hires annual raises after 1000 hours, but for that group hired in those 4 years? Nothing.
So, going from rlc rate (which I was getting as a term) down to full time rate and then back up to rlc counts as a raise?

How the hell does that get through the grievance process?

Also, a year is a very well defined term. It can’t be one raise a year if they are putting you up and down and then calling it a raise.

In my situation, I guess it makes sense for me to wait until the date I was made permanent and then maybe go back to rlc. That way I would still get my raise.
May 2, 2012
871 posts
454 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mikebc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:13 pm

I admit, im on the old pay scale, so I’m not overly familiar with it, but regarding CUPW’s attitude towards it, this was in CUPW’s global offer to CPC:

“The elimination of the wage charts for employees hired after February 1, 2013 and the introduction of new wage charts with the lowest rate being 85% of the top rate and a 3% increment each year.

Temporary employees will progress through the wage charts based on working 1,000 hours in a fiscal year.”

Retro pay would be nice for employees in that range, but is it a reasonable request this far removed from when it was agreed to (forced) by us?
May 22, 2015
804 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
If you go back through your paystubs you should see that your annual raise doesn't coincide with the day you got permanent. My raise came in May even though I got fulltime in March because I went a month before winning an RLC position. This should be the same for anyone, there will be a gap based on how long you were backfilling (as you get the LC rate as a backfill). You also won't get 2 rates on 1 paycheque, if your raise falls 2 days into a pay period you'll get the lower rate applied to that whole cheque.

When I said "1 raise per year", I meant per 12 month cycle. If you go to a higher wage within that 12 month cycle then the countdown resets (this only applies to rates in the chart, not premiums like nightshift).

AccessHR's number is 1 877 807 9090. They can tell you when you get your annual raise. You should know your raise date anyway, incase you wanted to go back to RLC then you'd need to wait for your annual pay bump before doing so. It also means that if you're going into a restructure and you think you might lose your route, you'd need to bid onto a route in another station to preserve your raise countdown.

Articles 35.02-04 covers how "acting" works, 35.08(a) is the actual article referenced in the declined grievances.

Promotion: (... when moving to a higher paying position...) "The anniversary date for pay increments will change to the effective date of the movement to the new function."
Last edited by mikebc on Jan 13th, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11574 posts
2978 upvotes
GTA
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:30 pm
Another question, do we get $0.00 pay on that day when we use our personal day?
8 hours pay if you're full time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
85% of top rate and 3% per year would be really nice.

Like really nice.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11574 posts
2978 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:45 pm
We will likely have a restructure before the end of next year and I'm the lowest seniority route holder. Now, apparently over 50% of walks in station are over assessed so maybe that won't make a difference.. but who knows.
If that's true about the over assessed walks, then there's an excellent chance you'll be gaining walks. Our cut in flyer pay is making them include time value for prepping flyers. Our station is very like yours in terms of over assessed walks and we're gaining 5 full-time walks very soon, they're built, just waiting to bid.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:28 am
If you go back through your paystubs you should see that your annual raise doesn't coincide with the day you got permanent. My raise came in May even though I got fulltime in March because I went a month before winning an RLC position. This should be the same for anyone, there will be a gap based on how long you were backfilling (as you get the LC rate as a backfill). You also won't get 2 rates on 1 paycheque, if your raise falls 2 days into a pay period you'll get the lower rate applied to that whole cheque.

When I said "1 raise per year", I meant per 12 month cycle. If you go to a higher wage within that 12 month cycle then the countdown resets (this only applies to rates in the chart, not premiums like nightshift).

AccessHR's number is 1 877 807 9090. They can tell you when you get your annual raise. You should know your raise date anyway, incase you wanted to go back to RLC then you'd need to wait for your annual pay bump before doing so. It also means that if you're going into a restructure and you think you might lose your route, you'd need to bid onto a route in another station to preserve your raise countdown.

Articles 35.02-04 covers how "acting" works, 35.08(a) is the actual article referenced in the declined grievances.

Promotion: (... when moving to a higher paying position...) "The anniversary date for pay increments will change to the effective date of the movement to the new function."
Such **** bullshit.

So I got hired and then received a pay reduction, and then a pay bump back to what I was making and that counts as a raise. Pretty annoying.

Like everything else, not covered in training, not told to you by anyone.

The corporation have real scumbag tactics and are not on our side. On the other hand, the union should have a booklet or something for new hires that spells out this kind of stuff in plain language. I would never have changed from relief if I had of known this.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:59 am
If that's true about the over assessed walks, then there's an excellent chance you'll be gaining walks. Our cut in flyer pay is making them include time value for prepping flyers. Our station is very like yours in terms of over assessed walks and we're gaining 5 full-time walks very soon, they're built, just waiting to bid.
Yea, another depot in our zone ended up adding 3-5 walks and they are a much smaller depot than ours.

I worry about them starting a night sorting system which might cut walks, however. I just have to make it to Fall roughly which is when I won my first relief position after becoming full time. So about 9 months.

How long does a restructure take? Another depot in our zone is just starting one so I’d guess that we might be after that.

Edit: also my walk is overassessed right now.. i guess it’s roughly half an hour over per week because that’s how much extra I get paid. We have like 70 walks. If that’s the average, then maybe it won’t add that many walks. Unless new flyer time values aren’t actually included in our current walk time values until a restructure.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11574 posts
2978 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:28 pm

How long does a restructure take? Another depot in our zone is just starting one so I’d guess that we might be after that.

Restructures usually take a few months, lots of variables. 70 walks is quite a lot, so could take 3/4/5 months.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:22 pm
Such **** bullshit.

So I got hired and then received a pay reduction, and then a pay bump back to what I was making and that counts as a raise. Pretty annoying.

Like everything else, not covered in training, not told to you by anyone.

The corporation have real scumbag tactics and are not on our side. On the other hand, the union should have a booklet or something for new hires that spells out this kind of stuff in plain language. I would never have changed from relief if I had of known this.
^^^This!

There are a ton more things we should know as new hires that aren't related to how to do the job. Nobody told us any of that, and without this group, I would have never known. A summary of important union related topics would have helped, or perhaps the day we spent with the rep could be extended to include other topics unrelated to H&S and more related to how pay structures and groups work.

Having said that, are terms allowed to claim EI for times when we are benched?