Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Feb 4, 2016
108 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:23 am
PT makes footwalks better for you as you can shorten your loops if needed. Old system footwalks were much worse IMO. Also, routes are now more mixed and the trend is moving towards more boxes anyway.

People get knee and back issues after 30 years, not 3. I would ignore what most of the old guard tells you because yes, it did use to be much better, but hanging onto those memories isn't doing anyone favours. We're not going back, this is the job now. Most of the senior LCA's who moved inside have never done PT or tried it and didn't stick with it long enpugh to learn it. They're not the best test for what's good - you need hours and seniority, you need to do what's best for you.
I'm 3 years in and i got knee, hip, and back pain.... Face With Tears Of JoyI'm still in my 20's too Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
May 22, 2015
398 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm thinking you would've had the same pain on an old system footwalk too then. Not everyone can do the job, it's not physically easy on you but your body should be able to handle a few years of it while you gain seniority to get onto a mobile.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11121 posts
2585 upvotes
GTA
dilbertojonesy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:21 am
I'm considering putting in a transfer to LC from casual P04 to get full-time faster, so I was looking for weight vests online to go walking with to be somewhat prepared. Funnily enough, everywhere I look says how bad they are on the knees, hips and joints when you wear them for long periods of time.

My question is: How're you multi-year LC's doing physically? Can you feel your body wearing down significantly? I've talked to some of the ex-LC's at my depot that have transferred to P04, most of them told me I shouldn't transfer to LC in its current state but part of me still likes the idea if I can prepare myself as much as possible before-hand.
Go for long walks and get your legs used to being sore afterwards, coz that's how you'll feel every day.

As mentioned before, you don't have to overburden yourself with weight, you learn to make shorter loops and carry less.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2015
398 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
I wouldn't go with a weight vest as that puts weight on your shoulders and back. You need to get 70%+ of the weight on your hips if you're going to be carrying longterm.

I would just wear your uniform (if you have one) and go into a local depot (if you're not in one already) and ask if they have a spare satchel in their clothes pile. Fill up 4 2L pop bottles with water and you're at 25 lbs which is honestly more than you'll carry for 99% of your loops.

Most of your time as a term will not be spent doing footwalks. Just going for a 15 km walk (with no weight, at a brisk pace) is more important than struggling along with weight. As Hugh said, your legs will be sore from the distance not the weight.
Apr 6, 2018
65 posts
46 upvotes
vodka wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:29 am
They're no worse than gaining that weight and walking around with it. Head to the gym and do exercises that will strengthen the muscles that will help offset the additional weight's impact on joints/knees.
For this reason, you will never see the big body builders jogging/running.

What is the max weight that you expect to have on those bags? 30lbs? 80lbs?
Thx - It's always been a struggle for me to gain weight so I'm not used to it but I'll definitely build up some muscle before switching.

I had heard 30-40lbs but that could have been exaggerated.
May 2, 2012
791 posts
416 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:57 am
Wow. Never seen anything close to that on those networks. More details?
I have the 30% discount with 6GB on Rogers and it’s costing me almost $80 after tax in Ontario. I imagine it depends on the device “tab” or whatever each company calls it as well as which province you’re in. Ontario tends to be one of the more expensive I believe.
Apr 7, 2013
807 posts
449 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote:
PT makes footwalks better for you as you can shorten your loops if needed. Old system footwalks were much worse IMO. Also, routes are now more mixed and the trend is moving towards more boxes anyway.

People get knee and back issues after 30 years, not 3. I would ignore what most of the old guard tells you because yes, it did use to be much better, but hanging onto those memories isn't doing anyone favours. We're not going back, this is the job now. Most of the senior LCA's who moved inside have never done PT or tried it and didn't stick with it long enpugh to learn it. They're not the best test for what's good - you need hours and seniority, you need to do what's best for you.
Yep, ignore the senior advisors, the key is to live healthy, exercise at least 3 times a week cause the job will be much easier if your in better shape. Keep your weight under control and don't drink too much.

20 years now, I balance my load so that I seldom carry more than 30 points of call. Body feels fine, some winter days I certainly feel it, but the rest of the year it's no problem.

Just don't be a hero and carry too much at once, doesn't save anytime, just will wear down your body.

It's a good job, once your out of the depot you have complete independence which I thoroughly enjoy.
Apr 6, 2018
65 posts
46 upvotes
mikebc wrote:

Thanks for the comments. The ex-LC's were a mix of full-time and part-time that have moved to Full-time P04 - From 7-15 years experience. There are many transferring in and taking the P04 full-time positions when they open up in my city so that's why I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to move forward.
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:22 am
I would just wear your uniform (if you have one) and go into a local depot (if you're not in one already) and ask if they have a spare satchel in their clothes pile. Fill up 4 2L pop bottles with water and you're at 25 lbs which is honestly more than you'll carry for 99% of your loops.

Most of your time as a term will not be spent doing footwalks. Just going for a 15 km walk (with no weight, at a brisk pace) is more important than struggling along with weight. As Hugh said, your legs will be sore from the distance not the weight.
Good idea about the satchel. I thought it was mainly supported by your shoulders but I guess your whole core will carry the load. Going to go on some epic walks in preparation. I know I probably sound like a wimp but it's a risk moving to LC from P04 because I probably won't be able to transfer back to P04 anytime soon as I will be behind all of the other LC's in the transfer list - so I need to put myself in the best position to succeed.

Once you hit permanent Part-time/Full-time, does your seniority change to when you got Part-time/Full-time or does it stay with the date you were first hired as a casual?

Thanks.

edit: just realized PT stands for Postal Transformation lol
Jul 6, 2017
154 posts
118 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:29 am
Just don't be a hero and carry too much at once, doesn't save anytime, just will wear down your body.
This! No supervisor or anyone else is going to pat you on the back for overburdening yourself. And if you take a fall and injure yourself you will have to face an interrogation.

Do you have an pre-existing injuries or conditions?
When I started as LC I was in good shape (aside from being on the wrong side of 40) and did push myself a bit like most newbies until I figured out how to deliver more efficiently. A couple of years ago I was injured in a car accident and have back and shoulder pain. I'm in physio every week and do a strict regimen of daily stretches and exercises but I'm still usually sore at the end of the day unless it has been a light day.
I shorten my loops to carry as little as possible, leave the oversize/overweight parcels for Assisted Delivery (team) and will even use a hand cart for those heavy catalog days. I'm still usually exhausted at the end of the day (500+ call footwalk, all door-to-door).
Initially I tried working inside on the accommodated duty list but I found that work was actually worse for my condition so I went back outside where I can be more active and doing less lifting and carrying.
I might try and bid on a route that has more panels or CMBs to ease my workload but I really prefer door-to-door with the ability to easily deliver parcels, meet customers and just being outside.
May 22, 2015
398 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
How many months do you have as a casual? Are you in a region/zone that has a plant? In cities with major hubs, people transfer to P04 to bypass the LC waitlist for FT. At least in Vancouver, you go work at the plant if you want fulltime as fast as possible as the churn there is constant. Are you sure LC is hiring faster than IA in your zone?

edit: Seniority is based on your original hire date as a term, *once you make it to permanent status*. For a while during the hiring freeze, as a term, I had more seniority than fulltime reliefs who took the quick route through the plant then transferred to LC. It sucks when people like that come in, with 2 years less service, but they get first pick because they're permanent and you're still waiting your turn like an idiot. Most of the time I'd be forced to take these people out and retrain them, in their cushy long term cover that I was next in line for, because they took the quick route. You can't hate on people for working the loophole intentionally left open in the system, but damn if people didn't give group hoppers the cold shoulder until they proved they were capable employees.
Feb 4, 2016
108 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:23 pm
How many months do you have as a casual? Are you in a region/zone that has a plant? In cities with major hubs, people transfer to P04 to bypass the LC waitlist for FT. At least in Vancouver, you go work at the plant if you want fulltime as fast as possible as the churn there is constant. Are you sure LC is hiring faster than IA in your zone?

edit: Seniority is based on your original hire date as a term, *once you make it to permanent status*. For a while during the hiring freeze, as a term, I had more seniority than fulltime reliefs who took the quick route through the plant then transferred to LC. It sucks when people like that come in, with 2 years less service, but they get first pick because they're permanent and you're still waiting your turn like an idiot. Most of the time I'd be forced to take these people out and retrain them, in their cushy long term cover that I was next in line for, because they took the quick route. You can't hate on people for working the loophole intentionally left open in the system, but damn if people didn't give group hoppers the cold shoulder until they proved they were capable employees.
I got it perm in Vancouver in like 6 months though.. and ft perm in 2 months and this was 3 years ago. Vancouver as well.
Apr 6, 2018
65 posts
46 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm about 10 months seniority (was a Christmas casual before that but that doesn't count). I work in the plant as a P04 but get hardly any hours from Feb to July. The turnover for LC's is insane where I am so even with only a years seniority it's possible to get full-time LC pretty quickly vs the years it would take in the plant. There are people with 10+ years experience who are too low to get on the day shift in the plant. If I transfer to LC, it will definitely be taking the quick route but the alternative is being on-call P04, mainly getting calls for nightshift and only for a third of the year because I ended up near the bottom when they mass-hired temps last year.
Sep 27, 2015
91 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kehfun wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:01 am
I'm 3 years in and i got knee, hip, and back pain.... Face With Tears Of JoyI'm still in my 20's too Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
I'm almost 4 years, I got knee, hip, back pain too, but am able to recover during the weekends, lol..
Feb 4, 2016
108 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:37 pm
I'm almost 4 years, I got knee, hip, back pain too, but am able to recover during the weekends, lol..
Weekends not enough for recovery anymore Face With Tears Of Joy. Usually play hockey on the weekends. Don't know how to recover any quicker anymore. Need unlimited massage benefits.....

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

RSMC1234, stalbert1