[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11583 posts
2983 upvotes
GTA
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:43 pm

Having said that, are terms allowed to claim EI for times when we are benched?
Yes. You won't get paid for the first two weeks of not working, call it a deductible. But you'll only have this the first time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2015
812 posts
977 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm almost certain they need the proper form from HR saying they're laid off (not sure what T# it is, maybe just an ROE), no?

edit: okay you don't need an ROE, but it will delay the process.

edit: also, minimum hours required worked in the last 52 weeks before you are eligible:
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... .html#h2.2

It's worth a shot to apply but I don't think many terms qualify.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:46 pm
I'm almost certain they need the proper form from HR saying they're laid off (not sure what T# it is, maybe just an ROE), no?

edit: okay you don't need an ROE, but it will delay the process.

edit: also, minimum hours required worked in the last 52 weeks before you are eligible:
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... .html#h2.2

It's worth a shot to apply but I don't think many terms qualify.
I was fully employed at my last job will the middle of October and then gained employment with CPC as a casual and started training at the beginning of November. Surely my last job qualified me with enough hours worked for EI. I did take EI last year due to paternity leave, but that shouldn't change anything with what I would be claiming right now.
May 22, 2015
812 posts
977 upvotes
Vancouver
You should be fine then, since they'll average your last 26 weeks and give you 55% of that. If you hadn't been working that'd be one tiny payout.

Just be ready to do all the math 3 times and bend over backwards to walk them through it, because they're either hiring inept people or mandating them to feign stupidity so people get frustrated and drop their claim. They must use the same hiring pool as WorkSafe.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Where are you on the seniority list now?
May 2, 2012
872 posts
455 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:43 pm
^^^This!

There are a ton more things we should know as new hires that aren't related to how to do the job. Nobody told us any of that, and without this group, I would have never known. A summary of important union related topics would have helped, or perhaps the day we spent with the rep could be extended to include other topics unrelated to H&S and more related to how pay structures and groups work.

Having said that, are terms allowed to claim EI for times when we are benched?
I kept an open EI claim the entire time I was a term. After the two week waiting period, I just input hours which I worked on the bi-weekly reports. If I didn’t work, I received EI, if I worked, I got paid.

In my four years as a casual, there was only one year I didn’t work the minimum number of hours for entitlement. Besides that it was a pretty simple process and allowed for some stability through extended work shortages.
May 22, 2015
812 posts
977 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's a code for $20 off $100 (includes clearance and sale items) at SportChek. Just say something if you use it, it'll only work once.

65UY24OJ6WXCJT63SD
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:13 pm
You should be fine then, since they'll average your last 26 weeks and give you 55% of that. If you hadn't been working that'd be one tiny payout.

Just be ready to do all the math 3 times and bend over backwards to walk them through it, because they're either hiring inept people or mandating them to feign stupidity so people get frustrated and drop their claim. They must use the same hiring pool as WorkSafe.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Where are you on the seniority list now?
I am not sure, TBH. If I get called in this week, where would one find that information?
Dec 8, 2017
92 posts
31 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:13 pm
I am not sure, TBH. If I get called in this week, where would one find that information?

If you have not worked for 7 consecutive days you can apply for EI. I believe you can your request ROE on ESS.
You do not have to be officially laid off to request it. ( google interruption of earnings)

If you do apply for EI you will be expected to look for FT employment They will also look at your previous ROE to see why you left your previous employment. If you quit to get a on call position at CP, it might be questioned.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
Postie2 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:05 am
If you have not worked for 7 consecutive days you can apply for EI. I believe you can your request ROE on ESS.
You do not have to be officially laid off to request it. ( google interruption of earnings)

If you do apply for EI you will be expected to look for FT employment They will also look at your previous ROE to see why you left your previous employment. If you quit to get a on call position at CP, it might be questioned.
Restructuring and position eliminated.
Dec 8, 2017
92 posts
31 upvotes
Also the waiting period is now only one week instead of 2 but I think it still takes at least a month before you see any money.
Aug 21, 2010
193 posts
60 upvotes
toronto
question
- i sent off 100 parcels for customers this past friday at 7pm ...and was hoping customers would get the parcel today..no luck.....i find out all parcels are at the canada post depot near the shoppers where i sent the parcels from...if canada post wants to be competitive,,shouldnt they have someone pick up parcels on the weekend to send to gateway...
is this normal procedure
thanks
Apr 12, 2011
665 posts
534 upvotes
Etobicoke
your best bet wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:03 pm
question
- i sent off 100 parcels for customers this past friday at 7pm ...and was hoping customers would get the parcel today..no luck.....i find out all parcels are at the canada post depot near the shoppers where i sent the parcels from...if canada post wants to be competitive,,shouldnt they have someone pick up parcels on the weekend to send to gateway...
is this normal procedure
thanks
You sent them out at 7pm. The cutoff time is 5pm. I know some RPOs get pickups/dispatches on weekends, but not all of them. Canada Post is still competitive, since you used them.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
your best bet wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:03 pm
question
is this normal procedure
thanks
For people who know more, Is that normal that they go to the depot and not to the plant?

I’d say that Canada post is competitive because of price mainly. Other options are better if money is no object. I’m sure some delivery company can do out of business hours pick ups. 7 pm is just too late for us though. Why didn’t you send them out during business hours or phone and ask during business hours so you could avoid this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

flameboy54