Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11582 posts
2983 upvotes
GTA
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:58 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... h=e990de5f

Lol, it would have been faster to attempt delivery then card at the door if no answer. We do hire some people lacking respect for our customers.
What a dumbass. Makes us all look bad.

Never once in my time at CP have I done shit like this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:00 pm
What a dumbass. Makes us all look bad.

Never once in my time at CP have I done shit like this.

Me neither, and the moron would have saved time by just delivering the damn parcel in the first place.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 3:49 pm
Interesting you were benched today. There were a couple of guys in my row that needed help with their volume, but were told no help was available. They ended up bringing back what they couldn’t get done by 4pm.

Are you locked in to only working at Millen? Or are you able to go work at other depots? Might be worth a conversation with staffing when they call you next unless they’re solely using eclipse now.
I have worked at Millen except for one day at Pritchard. I think they have the green light to call in from wherever but they have to exhaust their list first, maybe? I'll call staffing tomorrow.
Mar 11, 2016
153 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:04 pm
Me neither, and the moron would have saved time by just delivering the damn parcel in the first place.
This lazy postie in the video reminds me of one RLC that was deliverying my own street years ago.

The RLC dumped DNC cards in the mailbox (didn't ring the bell, but someone was home at the time btw) for a couple of passports. When I caught him the next day and asked what's the deal with carding yesterday...His reply was '...no car in your driveway, so I figured you were not home..' I have a garage btw...lol.
RFD4LF. 😎
Apr 8, 2015
43 posts
17 upvotes
East York, ON
stalbert1 wrote:
How is he a moron? If 9 out of 10 times that idiot that orders crap online on a daily basis is never home (and being a letter carrier we all get that one POC where they get packets/parcels daily but no one is ever home) so whats a postie like him going to do? Ofcourse hes going to auto card anything that goes to that house, the postie is actually kind enough not to leave the parcels back in the depot where it goes directly to the rpo, If anything the postie is actually smart to just card it right away and be off to his next delivery. That person who exposed this postie was probably home ONCE! in the entire year and just decided to embarass this poor postie because she caught him ONCE. I SWEAR THE WORLD WE LIVE IN are filled with hypocrites like you guys, you all do the samething, just havent got caught yet.
Aug 22, 2010
222 posts
105 upvotes
heartsdales wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:15 pm
How is he a moron? If 9 out of 10 times that idiot that orders crap online on a daily basis is never home (and being a letter carrier we all get that one POC where they get packets/parcels daily but no one is ever home) so whats a postie like him going to do? Ofcourse hes going to auto card anything that goes to that house, the postie is actually kind enough not to leave the parcels back in the depot where it goes directly to the rpo, If anything the postie is actually smart to just card it right away and be off to his next delivery. That person who exposed this postie was probably home ONCE! in the entire year and just decided to embarass this poor postie because she caught him ONCE. I SWEAR THE WORLD WE LIVE IN are filled with hypocrites like you guys, you all do the samething, just havent got caught yet.
Are you the guy in the video?

People like him gives the rest of us who actually do our jobs properly a bad image.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
heartsdales wrote:
People who do shady shit always assume everyone else does the same thing and are hypocrites. It’s bs.

I can see some exceptions. If an intercom system sucks and the names aren’t arranged in a logical order.. I get it. Generally though, egregious autocarding like this should be fireable. Customers hate it.

Of course, that will never happen. For that to happen, Canada post would actually have to enforce something that might lead to people finishing later and then paying more overtime.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
heartsdales wrote:
You're an idiot. Carrier spent more time the way he handled the parcel , if he had brought the package and the RPO card with him it would have been quicker. His method was inefficient time wise and made us all look like lazy morons.

Most of us do the job properly, those who are unable to do this need to be dismissed.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:27 pm
People who do shady shit always assume everyone else does the same thing and are hypocrites. It’s bs.

I can see some exceptions. If an intercom system sucks and the names aren’t arranged in a logical order.. I get it. Generally though, egregious autocarding like this should be fireable. Customers hate it.

Of course, that will never happen. For that to happen, Canada post would actually have to enforce something that might lead to people finishing later and then paying more overtime.
And cupw would have to stop supporting crap employees who do this. But cupw loves crap.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:30 pm
And cupw would have to stop supporting crap employees who do this. But cupw loves crap.
It’s the unions job to protect ALL employees. No one understands this. Every time a cop beats someone up, people think their union should just abandon them even though it is their literal job to have all their members back in a situation like this.

Same reasoning applies here. Canada posy should be rigorously trying to maintain quality and the union should be rigourously protecting members. Only one side is doing their job.. for the obvious reason.. this way saves money.

If you think the system is too weak to fire people then they should give something away in negotiation to make it stronger. They don’t because they don’t want to.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:29 pm
You're an idiot. Carrier spent more time the way he handled the parcel , if he had brought the package and the RPO card with him it would have been quicker. His method was inefficient time wise and made us all look like lazy morons.
Exactly! He didn't "auto card" the package he took just as much, probably more time to card it than deliver it. This makes him an idiot in my book.
As for auto-carding, I have a few calls where I know they won't be home to sign and have made verbal agreements with them to card such items at the depot. This way I can get them on the first RPO run and they can get the item the same day, versus me attempting a delivery in the afternoon, carding it and the customer having to wait until the next day to get it at the RPO.
These customers also live within a five-minute walk from the RPO.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
While I was on assignment and had the same walk for 5 weeks, there was one lady with an auto immune disorder who was confined to using a walker and had limited mobility. This lady ordered a ton of merch from the internet which all had to be delivered. Over the Christmas holidays, unbeknownst to me, she took a few days away to spend with her parents (I found this out after), but rather than card her items since she wasn't there, I simply classified them as held, customer request, and attempted delivery the next business day. When I brought them up to her unit the day after boxing day, she was elated that her carrier "thought outside of the box" and actually did her a favour by not carding the items. It would have been harder for her to get to the RPO than it would have been for me to make a small effort to attempt delivery twice.

Why do people have to make this job so hard? It's quite simple when you follow the rules, as well as apply a little common sense and a little courtesy.
Sep 20, 2018
88 posts
85 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:

Yeah, would have made more sense to pull up on their driveway and attempt delivery!
May 2, 2012
872 posts
455 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:29 pm

Most of us do the job properly, those who are unable to do this need to be dismissed.
I don’t often agree with you, but here we are! I have two or three POCs which are never home and always get tons of wish registers. It takes the exact amount of time to walk up to the door, ring the bell/knock and then fill out the DNC while you’re waiting. That’s the exact process the CMS describes.
Apr 12, 2011
665 posts
534 upvotes
Etobicoke
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:18 pm
While I was on assignment and had the same walk for 5 weeks, there was one lady with an auto immune disorder who was confined to using a walker and had limited mobility. This lady ordered a ton of merch from the internet which all had to be delivered. Over the Christmas holidays, unbeknownst to me, she took a few days away to spend with her parents (I found this out after), but rather than card her items since she wasn't there, I simply classified them as held, customer request, and attempted delivery the next business day. When I brought them up to her unit the day after boxing day, she was elated that her carrier "thought outside of the box" and actually did her a favour by not carding the items. It would have been harder for her to get to the RPO than it would have been for me to make a small effort to attempt delivery twice.

Why do people have to make this job so hard? It's quite simple when you follow the rules, as well as apply a little common sense and a little courtesy.
Just want to point out that in this case, you didn't follow Canada Post policy and instead used common sense, and everyone was happy in the end. However, things could have went differently. The customer could have checked the tracking, called your supervisor and complain that 'they never put in a customer request to hold items'. Or you could have called in sick the next day, and then your route doesn't get covered and these packages get delayed, instead of being available at the RPO. Again, customer could complain and all of sudden your common sense courtesy backfires and you're getting interviewed.

I believe it's fine to bend the rules and use some common sense, especially when you know your route and customers. But I have been interviewed for leaving a 'do not safe drop' outside a customers condo door, even though the customer asked for me to leave it there. In the end, the customer called to complain that the package went missing. Since the package was a Do Not Safe Drop that the shipper specifically asked for, it was never up to the package receiver (MY customer) to decide if they wanted me to leave it outside their door or not.

I had always helped this customer by dropping parcels outside their door, and each time I would buzz them and they would ask me to, never had a problem. I should have known that eventually my efforts to make life easier for my customers would bite me.Supervisors were practically interrogating me as if I had been safe-dropping every single parcel for the last few months, and from then on I had to be super careful to deliver each parcel properly according to CP procedure. Use common sense, and try to be courteous, but also watch your back!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

Otrosky101, deardragonfly, digisave