[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11120 posts
2584 upvotes
GTA
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:30 pm
Another question, do we get $0.00 pay on that day when we use our personal day?
8 hours pay if you're full time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
158 posts
91 upvotes
85% of top rate and 3% per year would be really nice.

Like really nice.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11120 posts
2584 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:45 pm
We will likely have a restructure before the end of next year and I'm the lowest seniority route holder. Now, apparently over 50% of walks in station are over assessed so maybe that won't make a difference.. but who knows.
If that's true about the over assessed walks, then there's an excellent chance you'll be gaining walks. Our cut in flyer pay is making them include time value for prepping flyers. Our station is very like yours in terms of over assessed walks and we're gaining 5 full-time walks very soon, they're built, just waiting to bid.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
704 posts
371 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:28 am
If you go back through your paystubs you should see that your annual raise doesn't coincide with the day you got permanent. My raise came in May even though I got fulltime in March because I went a month before winning an RLC position. This should be the same for anyone, there will be a gap based on how long you were backfilling (as you get the LC rate as a backfill). You also won't get 2 rates on 1 paycheque, if your raise falls 2 days into a pay period you'll get the lower rate applied to that whole cheque.

When I said "1 raise per year", I meant per 12 month cycle. If you go to a higher wage within that 12 month cycle then the countdown resets (this only applies to rates in the chart, not premiums like nightshift).

AccessHR's number is 1 877 807 9090. They can tell you when you get your annual raise. You should know your raise date anyway, incase you wanted to go back to RLC then you'd need to wait for your annual pay bump before doing so. It also means that if you're going into a restructure and you think you might lose your route, you'd need to bid onto a route in another station to preserve your raise countdown.

Articles 35.02-04 covers how "acting" works, 35.08(a) is the actual article referenced in the declined grievances.

Promotion: (... when moving to a higher paying position...) "The anniversary date for pay increments will change to the effective date of the movement to the new function."
Such **** bullshit.

So I got hired and then received a pay reduction, and then a pay bump back to what I was making and that counts as a raise. Pretty annoying.

Like everything else, not covered in training, not told to you by anyone.

The corporation have real scumbag tactics and are not on our side. On the other hand, the union should have a booklet or something for new hires that spells out this kind of stuff in plain language. I would never have changed from relief if I had of known this.
Dec 13, 2016
704 posts
371 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:59 am
If that's true about the over assessed walks, then there's an excellent chance you'll be gaining walks. Our cut in flyer pay is making them include time value for prepping flyers. Our station is very like yours in terms of over assessed walks and we're gaining 5 full-time walks very soon, they're built, just waiting to bid.
Yea, another depot in our zone ended up adding 3-5 walks and they are a much smaller depot than ours.

I worry about them starting a night sorting system which might cut walks, however. I just have to make it to Fall roughly which is when I won my first relief position after becoming full time. So about 9 months.

How long does a restructure take? Another depot in our zone is just starting one so I’d guess that we might be after that.

Edit: also my walk is overassessed right now.. i guess it’s roughly half an hour over per week because that’s how much extra I get paid. We have like 70 walks. If that’s the average, then maybe it won’t add that many walks. Unless new flyer time values aren’t actually included in our current walk time values until a restructure.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11120 posts
2584 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:28 pm

How long does a restructure take? Another depot in our zone is just starting one so I’d guess that we might be after that.

Restructures usually take a few months, lots of variables. 70 walks is quite a lot, so could take 3/4/5 months.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
158 posts
91 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:22 pm
Such **** bullshit.

So I got hired and then received a pay reduction, and then a pay bump back to what I was making and that counts as a raise. Pretty annoying.

Like everything else, not covered in training, not told to you by anyone.

The corporation have real scumbag tactics and are not on our side. On the other hand, the union should have a booklet or something for new hires that spells out this kind of stuff in plain language. I would never have changed from relief if I had of known this.
^^^This!

There are a ton more things we should know as new hires that aren't related to how to do the job. Nobody told us any of that, and without this group, I would have never known. A summary of important union related topics would have helped, or perhaps the day we spent with the rep could be extended to include other topics unrelated to H&S and more related to how pay structures and groups work.

Having said that, are terms allowed to claim EI for times when we are benched?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11120 posts
2584 upvotes
GTA
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:43 pm

Yes. You won't get paid for the first two weeks of not working, call it a deductible. But you'll only have this the first time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2015
393 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm almost certain they need the proper form from HR saying they're laid off (not sure what T# it is, maybe just an ROE), no?

edit: okay you don't need an ROE, but it will delay the process.

edit: also, minimum hours required worked in the last 52 weeks before you are eligible:
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... .html#h2.2

It's worth a shot to apply but I don't think many terms qualify.
Oct 11, 2018
158 posts
91 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:46 pm
I'm almost certain they need the proper form from HR saying they're laid off (not sure what T# it is, maybe just an ROE), no?

edit: okay you don't need an ROE, but it will delay the process.

edit: also, minimum hours required worked in the last 52 weeks before you are eligible:
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... .html#h2.2

It's worth a shot to apply but I don't think many terms qualify.
I was fully employed at my last job will the middle of October and then gained employment with CPC as a casual and started training at the beginning of November. Surely my last job qualified me with enough hours worked for EI. I did take EI last year due to paternity leave, but that shouldn't change anything with what I would be claiming right now.
May 22, 2015
393 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
You should be fine then, since they'll average your last 26 weeks and give you 55% of that. If you hadn't been working that'd be one tiny payout.

Just be ready to do all the math 3 times and bend over backwards to walk them through it, because they're either hiring inept people or mandating them to feign stupidity so people get frustrated and drop their claim. They must use the same hiring pool as WorkSafe.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Where are you on the seniority list now?
May 2, 2012
791 posts
415 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:43 pm
^^^This!

There are a ton more things we should know as new hires that aren't related to how to do the job. Nobody told us any of that, and without this group, I would have never known. A summary of important union related topics would have helped, or perhaps the day we spent with the rep could be extended to include other topics unrelated to H&S and more related to how pay structures and groups work.

I kept an open EI claim the entire time I was a term. After the two week waiting period, I just input hours which I worked on the bi-weekly reports. If I didn’t work, I received EI, if I worked, I got paid.

In my four years as a casual, there was only one year I didn’t work the minimum number of hours for entitlement. Besides that it was a pretty simple process and allowed for some stability through extended work shortages.
May 22, 2015
393 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's a code for $20 off $100 (includes clearance and sale items) at SportChek. Just say something if you use it, it'll only work once.

65UY24OJ6WXCJT63SD
Oct 11, 2018
158 posts
91 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:13 pm
You should be fine then, since they'll average your last 26 weeks and give you 55% of that. If you hadn't been working that'd be one tiny payout.

Just be ready to do all the math 3 times and bend over backwards to walk them through it, because they're either hiring inept people or mandating them to feign stupidity so people get frustrated and drop their claim. They must use the same hiring pool as WorkSafe.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Where are you on the seniority list now?
I am not sure, TBH. If I get called in this week, where would one find that information?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

pike18