Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:35 pm
Just want to point out that in this case, you didn't follow Canada Post policy and instead used common sense, and everyone was happy in the end. However, things could have went differently. The customer could have checked the tracking, called your supervisor and complain that 'they never put in a customer request to hold items'. Or you could have called in sick the next day, and then your route doesn't get covered and these packages get delayed, instead of being available at the RPO. Again, customer could complain and all of sudden your common sense courtesy backfires and you're getting interviewed.

I believe it's fine to bend the rules and use some common sense, especially when you know your route and customers. But I have been interviewed for leaving a 'do not safe drop' outside a customers condo door, even though the customer asked for me to leave it there. In the end, the customer called to complain that the package went missing. Since the package was a Do Not Safe Drop that the shipper specifically asked for, it was never up to the package receiver (MY customer) to decide if they wanted me to leave it outside their door or not.

I had always helped this customer by dropping parcels outside their door, and each time I would buzz them and they would ask me to, never had a problem. I should have known that eventually my efforts to make life easier for my customers would bite me.Supervisors were practically interrogating me as if I had been safe-dropping every single parcel for the last few months, and from then on I had to be super careful to deliver each parcel properly according to CP procedure. Use common sense, and try to be courteous, but also watch your back!
I hear you and agree. On this particular occasion, the first thing I did when I got back was inform my supervisor. They were okay with it. The lady actually called CP and voiced her appreciation.

I wouldn't do that for any POC, but knowing this lady and her plight, I was fairly certain I was doing her a tremendous favour for which made her life a ton easier.
May 22, 2015
805 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
The big one we saw a few years ago was people asking their carrier to sign off or holding China Registers and put them in the CMB. This is when the R codes started arriving en masse, much much worse than it is today. They didn't use to track so you could just hold them and they'd disappear. There was an understanding that registration wouldn't scan them, carriers wouldn't scan them, they'd just go in the box and everyone's happy. We probably got signatures for 90% of them, but there was leaway if you were running late, no one was home or you got permission from the receiver.

One day some newer terms started carding all these registers and complaints started coming in, people are asking why they need to go pick up their $1 USB cord when it used to go in the box. Gears start turning, it gets escalated to the superintendent, then the manager. Supervisors start getting in trouble for not rolling out the education package for scanning non-barbershop R code packets. Well, shit rolls down hill... 24's and worse were handed out. PDT logs got pulled and exposed a lot of people signing off on these but also for domestic signatures, including passports. Not pretty. The days of "carrier verified, X" in the signature box were done.

Always cover your back. If you're holding an item, write the reason in "other". The customer can't see what you write, but a customer service rep can. Or just card it. Or run it past a supervisor.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1631 posts
138 upvotes
onatrio
curious..what is your outside delivery time...when we used to have door to door at our depot ..mine was 3- to 3 and a half hours outside delivery time,,and than when we had a restructure and lost half our routes and went all cmbs..now my outside delivery time is 4 and a half to 5 hours..also due to they added a rpo clearance at the end of my route for convenience sake for shoppers..too much parcels gathering up...
thanks
and if its a walking route or cmb
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:51 pm
The big one we saw a few years ago was people asking their carrier to sign off or holding China Registers and put them in the CMB. This is when the R codes started arriving en masse, much much worse than it is today. They didn't use to track so you could just hold them and they'd disappear. There was an understanding that registration wouldn't scan them, carriers wouldn't scan them, they'd just go in the box and everyone's happy. We probably got signatures for 90% of them, but there was leaway if you were running late, no one was home or you got permission from the receiver.

One day some newer terms started carding all these registers and complaints started coming in, people are asking why they need to go pick up their $1 USB cord when it used to go in the box. Gears start turning, it gets escalated to the superintendent, then the manager. Supervisors start getting in trouble for not rolling out the education package for scanning non-barbershop R code packets. Well, shit rolls down hill... 24's and worse were handed out. PDT logs got pulled and exposed a lot of people signing off on these but also for domestic signatures, including passports. Not pretty. The days of "carrier verified, X" in the signature box were done.

Always cover your back. If you're holding an item, write the reason in "other". The customer can't see what you write, but a customer service rep can. Or just card it. Or run it past a supervisor.
I was covering a walk and saw a passport in a panel. At the time I thought it was pretty dumb to take the chance.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:30 pm
And cupw would have to stop supporting crap employees who do this. But cupw loves crap.
Guys like that are the Unions “bread and butter”, they survive on junk.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
“If I see one of the doorbell activated cams I don't press it. I knock loud and/or ring the regular bell.“

Same here. The other day was doing OT and was as you can imagine very busy and with no time. I knock and ring the door bell, no one home to sign for the registered letter that I had, while carding the guy speaks from the doorbell cam and tells me to leave it at the door, told him that it’s a signature letter and cant leave it, then he keeps on talking and can’t even listen properly to what I was saying... just quit answering, finished carding the signature and continued my delivery.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:44 pm
“If I see one of the doorbell activated cams I don't press it. I knock loud and/or ring the regular bell.“

Same here. The other day was doing OT and was as you can imagine very busy and with no time. I knock and ring the door bell, no one home to sign for the registered letter that I had, while carding the guy speaks from the doorbell cam and tells me to leave it at the door, told him that it’s a signature letter and cant leave it, then he keeps on talking and can’t even listen properly to what I was saying... just quit answering, finished carding the signature and continued my delivery.
I noticed this with new apartment building and their comm panels that connected to cell phones. They would start to negotiate with you...try to tell you they're just on their way home so please wait one minute, they're going to call their spouse to come meet you etc.
Now it's happening at houses too thanks to these stupid doorbell cams. Sorry I've got other customers who also want their mail and packages.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:29 pm
You're an idiot. Carrier spent more time the way he handled the parcel , if he had brought the package and the RPO card with him it would have been quicker. His method was inefficient time wise and made us all look like lazy morons.

Most of us do the job properly, those who are unable to do this need to be dismissed.

I'm sure we've all been in spots that would look bad but have innocent explanation...like that's just coffee you spilled on your lap.
There could be a number of legitimate reasons why he just carded it- it is entirely possible it got buried under stuff and he realized he was wasting too much time looking for it, and fairly confident it would turn up eventually ( everythings all rush, you're learning to organize and....you know, stuff happens.
It is only fair to allow someone to speak in their defense before judgement and condemnation
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
https://www.cupw.ca/en/cupw-canada-post ... r%E2%80%9D

Another head slap to our union. 1000's of hours of forced overtime. Apparently these ding dongs are so locked up in their hotel rooms that nobody told them that the company voluntarily stopped forced overtime.... Unbelievable....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:20 pm
They've rotated so much they forgot what country their in.
They should block the plants in the USA. That will teach Canada Post a lesson!!!!
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 4 guests)

ashbridge12, sunvv, timetotellthetruth