Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 8, 2017
64 posts
21 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:13 pm
I am not sure, TBH. If I get called in this week, where would one find that information?

If you have not worked for 7 consecutive days you can apply for EI. I believe you can your request ROE on ESS.
You do not have to be officially laid off to request it. ( google interruption of earnings)

If you do apply for EI you will be expected to look for FT employment They will also look at your previous ROE to see why you left your previous employment. If you quit to get a on call position at CP, it might be questioned.
Oct 11, 2018
166 posts
101 upvotes
Postie2 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:05 am
If you have not worked for 7 consecutive days you can apply for EI. I believe you can your request ROE on ESS.
You do not have to be officially laid off to request it. ( google interruption of earnings)

If you do apply for EI you will be expected to look for FT employment They will also look at your previous ROE to see why you left your previous employment. If you quit to get a on call position at CP, it might be questioned.
Restructuring and position eliminated.
Dec 8, 2017
64 posts
21 upvotes
Also the waiting period is now only one week instead of 2 but I think it still takes at least a month before you see any money.
Aug 21, 2010
89 posts
35 upvotes
toronto
question
- i sent off 100 parcels for customers this past friday at 7pm ...and was hoping customers would get the parcel today..no luck.....i find out all parcels are at the canada post depot near the shoppers where i sent the parcels from...if canada post wants to be competitive,,shouldnt they have someone pick up parcels on the weekend to send to gateway...
is this normal procedure
thanks
Apr 12, 2011
606 posts
444 upvotes
Etobicoke
your best bet wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:03 pm
question
- i sent off 100 parcels for customers this past friday at 7pm ...and was hoping customers would get the parcel today..no luck.....i find out all parcels are at the canada post depot near the shoppers where i sent the parcels from...if canada post wants to be competitive,,shouldnt they have someone pick up parcels on the weekend to send to gateway...
is this normal procedure
thanks
You sent them out at 7pm. The cutoff time is 5pm. I know some RPOs get pickups/dispatches on weekends, but not all of them. Canada Post is still competitive, since you used them.
Dec 13, 2016
706 posts
373 upvotes
your best bet wrote:
question
is this normal procedure
thanks
For people who know more, Is that normal that they go to the depot and not to the plant?

I’d say that Canada post is competitive because of price mainly. Other options are better if money is no object. I’m sure some delivery company can do out of business hours pick ups. 7 pm is just too late for us though. Why didn’t you send them out during business hours or phone and ask during business hours so you could avoid this?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11129 posts
2591 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:29 pm
Is that normal that they go to the depot and not to the plant?
Yes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 20, 2016
74 posts
51 upvotes
your best bet wrote:
question
is this normal procedure
thanks
might also be a scanning issue- I recently had an Express order I received within about 40 hrs of ordering...but the tracking number provided still showed that Canada Post accepted the shipment, and nothing after that...even after I signed for the thing.
I think a lot of standard procedures were allowed to fall by the wayside with the large influx of new people to help with xmas, ( just to keep things moving) ....but have not been picked back up entirely by all as of yet.

the OP is correct to expect the level of service paid for.
Dec 13, 2016
706 posts
373 upvotes
raamman wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 3:59 am
might also be a scanning issue- I recently had an Express order I received within about 40 hrs of ordering...but the tracking number provided still showed that Canada Post accepted the shipment, and nothing after that...even after I signed for the thing.
I think a lot of standard procedures were allowed to fall by the wayside with the large influx of new people to help with xmas, ( just to keep things moving) ....but have not been picked back up entirely by all as of yet.

the OP is correct to expect the level of service paid for.
I’d be very surprised if he didn’t.
Apr 30, 2015
776 posts
557 upvotes
York, ON
Some of the busier rpos do have clearance from transportation over the weekend. Clerk at the rpo should be clear about the cutoff if you ask them.
Jul 2, 2018
108 posts
84 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:58 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... h=e990de5f

Lol, it would have been faster to attempt delivery then card at the door if no answer. We do hire some people lacking respect for our customers.
Wow... "Usually there's nobody home, that's why." Ugh...

Living in a condo apartment building, I am fortunate to not have to deal with this. All parcels are either in our CMB in the lobby if they will fit, or are left with security for us to pick up at our leisure. We can even send lettermail from here, there's a slot on the mail room door. I almost feel spoiled when I see videos like that!
May 22, 2015
404 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver
My RSMC cards everything even though he knows I'm a postie and I've made a little nest for him to safedrop in. Our CMB is literally in front of our house. We started flexing everything (my wife and I probably combine for 4-5 packages a week) and he asked we stopped ordering during his volume count.

Not all posties are good posties.
Apr 7, 2013
812 posts
461 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:23 am
My RSMC cards everything even though he knows I'm a postie and I've made a little nest for him to safedrop in. Our CMB is literally in front of our house. We started flexing everything (my wife and I probably combine for 4-5 packages a week) and he asked we stopped ordering during his volume count.

Not all posties are good posties.
Very true. What was the point of the postie carding in advance? Didn't save any time and was also poor customer service. I just don't understand his logic.