Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1971 posts
428 upvotes
Separate LC sort and delivery coming to our facility.
Apr 7, 2013
856 posts
490 upvotes
LONDON
Thrasher wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:52 am
Separate LC sort and delivery coming to our facility.
Where? Night routers?
Jul 6, 2017
164 posts
128 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:36 am
Very true. What was the point of the postie carding in advance? Didn't save any time and was also poor customer service. I just don't understand his logic.
So weird. Didn't save him any time at all. What was the point? I could have understood if he was on a footwalk and his satchel was full, or if it was a large heavy parcel and he knocked first before bringing it out, but to park in front of the house, walk up to the door without the package and then card it is just stupid!
I did scan through the comments for a bit of a laugh. The usual "I have a lazy postie who hasn't delivered a package in 10 years even though I'm home very day sitting right by the door..." BS is rampant but I really got a kick out of the property damage comment!
Someone complained that their postie broke their Xmas wreath. I had so many wreaths blocking mail slots and I got so sick of scratching my hands trying to slide the mail in (or not being able to see the slot at all with no porch lights on) that I just started putting the mail under the door mat with a little note "please do not block mail receptacle with wreath".
It was almost as bad as Halloween decorations!
I really hate those nest cams though. Even though I do my job right (in my opinion anyway), video footage opens the door to misinterpretation. I've had a customer call in to complain that they had video footage of me not attempting a package, which was total BS. They just didn't get to the door before I wrote out the card and left.
If I see one of the doorbell activated cams I don't press it. I knock loud and/or ring the regular bell.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1971 posts
428 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:08 am
Where? Night routers?
I will post an update when I find out more.
May 22, 2015
460 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
Just an anecdotal quip.. I always start writing the card immediately after I ring the doorbell. Once I'm done writing I'll put on the sticker, scan it then ring the doorbell again. I'll look over my shoulder on the way back to the truck, then again as I'm pulling out. The whole process gives the person about a minute, which I think is a reasonable amount of time to get off your couch and to the front door. It's also satisfying to slowly rip the card in half (while maintaining eye contact, of course) when they open the door late (I guess late is relative to my expectation versus theirs).

Anyway, I once had someone comment on how bad it is for the environment for me to be wasting so many cards, to which I said "management says my time is worth more than these cards, they don't want to pay me overtime to stand around" (since it literally is, our time is worth about 45 cents a minute whereas the card is worth half a cent). I got a spiel about how environmentally unconscious I was being, meanwhile they were getting priority deliveries (which are so much worse, environmentally, than a regular parcel order). Not to get started on the amount of waste generated by shipping in general. Just a shake my head moment I guess.
Last edited by mikebc on Jan 15th, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 11, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
Hamilton has a posting for another 130 terms being hired, and that's in addition to the 130 they wanted to hire when I was applying. I am still benched, but I guess the corp has some predictions and they need to grow their pool of terms for whatever they think is coming down the pipe.

I hear volume was heavy for Hamilton and Niagara yesterday. Is this the beginning of bill season?
May 2, 2012
815 posts
426 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:13 pm
Hamilton has a posting for another 130 terms being hired, and that's in addition to the 130 they wanted to hire when I was applying. I am still benched, but I guess the corp has some predictions and they need to grow their pool of terms for whatever they think is coming down the pipe.

I hear volume was heavy for Hamilton and Niagara yesterday. Is this the beginning of bill season?
Interesting you were benched today. There were a couple of guys in my row that needed help with their volume, but were told no help was available. They ended up bringing back what they couldn’t get done by 4pm.

Are you locked in to only working at Millen? Or are you able to go work at other depots? Might be worth a conversation with staffing when they call you next unless they’re solely using eclipse now.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11193 posts
2636 upvotes
GTA
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:58 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... h=e990de5f

Lol, it would have been faster to attempt delivery then card at the door if no answer. We do hire some people lacking respect for our customers.
What a dumbass. Makes us all look bad.

Never once in my time at CP have I done shit like this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 7, 2013
856 posts
490 upvotes
LONDON
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:00 pm
What a dumbass. Makes us all look bad.

Never once in my time at CP have I done shit like this.

Me neither, and the moron would have saved time by just delivering the damn parcel in the first place.
Oct 11, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 3:49 pm
Interesting you were benched today. There were a couple of guys in my row that needed help with their volume, but were told no help was available. They ended up bringing back what they couldn’t get done by 4pm.

Are you locked in to only working at Millen? Or are you able to go work at other depots? Might be worth a conversation with staffing when they call you next unless they’re solely using eclipse now.
I have worked at Millen except for one day at Pritchard. I think they have the green light to call in from wherever but they have to exhaust their list first, maybe? I'll call staffing tomorrow.
Mar 11, 2016
126 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:04 pm
Me neither, and the moron would have saved time by just delivering the damn parcel in the first place.
This lazy postie in the video reminds me of one RLC that was deliverying my own street years ago.

The RLC dumped DNC cards in the mailbox (didn't ring the bell, but someone was home at the time btw) for a couple of passports. When I caught him the next day and asked what's the deal with carding yesterday...His reply was '...no car in your driveway, so I figured you were not home..' I have a garage btw...lol.
Apr 8, 2015
35 posts
5 upvotes
East York, ON
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:04 pm
How is he a moron? If 9 out of 10 times that idiot that orders crap online on a daily basis is never home (and being a letter carrier we all get that one POC where they get packets/parcels daily but no one is ever home) so whats a postie like him going to do? Ofcourse hes going to auto card anything that goes to that house, the postie is actually kind enough not to leave the parcels back in the depot where it goes directly to the rpo, If anything the postie is actually smart to just card it right away and be off to his next delivery. That person who exposed this postie was probably home ONCE! in the entire year and just decided to embarass this poor postie because she caught him ONCE. I SWEAR THE WORLD WE LIVE IN are filled with hypocrites like you guys, you all do the samething, just havent got caught yet.
Aug 22, 2010
191 posts
79 upvotes
heartsdales wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:15 pm
How is he a moron? If 9 out of 10 times that idiot that orders crap online on a daily basis is never home (and being a letter carrier we all get that one POC where they get packets/parcels daily but no one is ever home) so whats a postie like him going to do? Ofcourse hes going to auto card anything that goes to that house, the postie is actually kind enough not to leave the parcels back in the depot where it goes directly to the rpo, If anything the postie is actually smart to just card it right away and be off to his next delivery. That person who exposed this postie was probably home ONCE! in the entire year and just decided to embarass this poor postie because she caught him ONCE. I SWEAR THE WORLD WE LIVE IN are filled with hypocrites like you guys, you all do the samething, just havent got caught yet.
Are you the guy in the video?

People like him gives the rest of us who actually do our jobs properly a bad image.
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
heartsdales wrote:
People who do shady shit always assume everyone else does the same thing and are hypocrites. It’s bs.

I can see some exceptions. If an intercom system sucks and the names aren’t arranged in a logical order.. I get it. Generally though, egregious autocarding like this should be fireable. Customers hate it.

Of course, that will never happen. For that to happen, Canada post would actually have to enforce something that might lead to people finishing later and then paying more overtime.
Apr 7, 2013
856 posts
490 upvotes
LONDON
heartsdales wrote:
You're an idiot. Carrier spent more time the way he handled the parcel , if he had brought the package and the RPO card with him it would have been quicker. His method was inefficient time wise and made us all look like lazy morons.

Most of us do the job properly, those who are unable to do this need to be dismissed.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

pike18, ahnaatjai