Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1571 posts
130 upvotes
onatrio
in my situation...we had a restructure 4 years ago..... we had 20 walking routes and than we converted to cmbs and we lost 10 routes..
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:17 am
Does restructuring usually create new walks requiring more FT staff?

Asking for a friend...
Jan 16, 2019
1 posts
Hey everyone I was a Christmas temp for this Christmas season that ended on the 15th. I got a call today to come in for an interview to become a casual tomorrow morning. Is there any specific questions I should be prepared to answer? Such as how to deal with co-workers arguing and so on? Any help is much appreciated.
Sep 19, 2004
407 posts
56 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:20 pm
Taking a volume count in a depot then redesigning all the routes with updated values. It happens every 5 years or so. All the routes get re-bid in order of seniority.
thanks.

I think every 5 years would be too long.

I'd prefer cp estimates daily average volume of a route, and if volume is high or weather is bad on specific day then call in temp to help. we don't need this restructure in this way.
Jan 5, 2014
226 posts
246 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Another failed parcel delivery story, two in the last week. I bet it was COD...

I wish the media would do stories about other businesses and the random f*** ups by their employees. I'm sure every single one of them has had an issue with someone at some point.

I found another key in the front door, alerted the owner who was super thankful. I'm good for one of these a month it seems. Also matched up a birthday card with a wrong address and have continued to knock again when I see a competitor has left a parcel at the door. Many people come home from the rear.

Love how everyone in the comments area thinks we all need to be fired and are lazy. Imagine living your life hoping for the misfortune of 50k people.

I'm at about 22k steps now. Let me know what the target is for non lazy if you come across it folks. According to Samsung health in the top 1% of 1.8 million users in around 17k or so. I don't do squat outside work, very few of those steps are non work steps. So much hate.

Why do I keep reading comments?... sigh.

Hope everyone is making it ok. I hear we have another 4 to 6 weeks before we find out what is up with a contract. We all know how hard we work it's a shame the union and the company itself doesn't care to promote that message in an effective way.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
Slotstuffer wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:17 pm
Another failed parcel delivery story, two in the last week. I bet it was COD...

I wish the media would do stories about other businesses and the random f*** ups by their employees. I'm sure every single one of them has had an issue with someone at some point.

I found another key in the front door, alerted the owner who was super thankful. I'm good for one of these a month it seems. Also matched up a birthday card with a wrong address and have continued to knock again when I see a competitor has left a parcel at the door. Many people come home from the rear.

Love how everyone in the comments area thinks we all need to be fired and are lazy. Imagine living your life hoping for the misfortune of 50k people.

I'm at about 22k steps now. Let me know what the target is for non lazy if you come across it folks. According to Samsung health in the top 1% of 1.8 million users in around 17k or so. I don't do squat outside work, very few of those steps are non work steps. So much hate.

Why do I keep reading comments?... sigh.

Hope everyone is making it ok. I hear we have another 4 to 6 weeks before we find out what is up with a contract. We all know how hard we work it's a shame the union and the company itself doesn't care to promote that message in an effective way.
Never read the comments it's too depressing. Reality is, our customers love us if we do the job correctly and are polite - but every depot has at least 1 person who couldn't care less about doing decent work. These people get questioned by supervisors but with union help they never seem to get the boot.

Sucks, cause 95% of us who give a damn look bad because of a few.
Oct 11, 2018
200 posts
117 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:18 am
We just had one a year and a half ago. And our volume count starts in three weeks
I finally got called in to take out 2/3 after an LC came down sick and had an easy 5 hour shift. Eclipse called me at 12:40 for a 1pm start, and I drive from Niagara to Hamilton. Needless to say, I called my supervisor and told them I'd be a bit late, they were cool with it.

When I got back to the depot, I got to talking to the evening supervisor and asked them about restructure and she hadn't heard anything about it. She did admit that she is just a relief supervisor and usually hears about things last.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:45 pm
Never read the comments it's too depressing. Reality is, our customers love us if we do the job correctly and are polite - but every depot has at least 1 person who couldn't care less about doing decent work. These people get questioned by supervisors but with union help they never seem to get the boot.

Sucks, cause 95% of us who give a damn look bad because of a few.
Bull **** shit. I see people constantly get away with stuff in my depot that they shouldn't get away with. As long as you don't go into OT, supervisors don't care at all. They love those people. They are always back early and if they do do something egregious AND get caught publicly, they can be safely thrown under the bus even though they've been doing it forever... if they really really have to.

I will say it again because you are either too dumb or too much of a troll to understand it. IT ISN'T THE UNION OR ANY UNIONS JOB TO ENFORCE DISCIPLINE OR WEED PEOPLE OUT. ITS THEIR JOB TO PROTECT ALL MEMBERS.

It's Canada Post that did the cost benefit analysis and figured out that fast and no OT is better for the bottom line. No union does this job for the company. Not the police, firefighters.. **** no one. Stop pedalling this nonsense.

I absolutely believe that you are one of those guys who gets pissed that criminals get represented by lawyers. You obviously don't understand processes that are deliberately set up to be adversarial.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:12 pm
Bull **** shit. I see people constantly get away with stuff in my depot that they shouldn't get away with. As long as you don't go into OT, supervisors don't care at all. They love those people. They are always back early and if they do do something egregious AND get caught, they can be safely thrown under the bus even though they've been doing it forever... if they really really have to.

I will say it again because you are either too dumb or too much of a troll to understand it. IT ISN'T THE UNION OR ANY UNIONS JOB TO ENFORCE DISCIPLINE OR WEED PEOPLE OUT. ITS THEIR JOB TO PROTECT ALL MEMBERS.

It's Canada Post that did the cost benefit analysis and figured out that fast and no OT is better for the bottom line. No union does this job for the company. Not the police, firefighters.. **** no one. Stop pedalling this nonsense.
Please stay away from the ledge Mr.

Cupw is there for the crap employees, I'm sure the poor guy in the video had total support from the union as do the whiners who scam health and safety rhetoric to get their route done by casuals on heavy or extreme weather days.

Now breathe, relax. It'll be ok, they're there for you too......
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:20 pm
Please stay away from the ledge Mr.

Cupw is there for the crap employees, I'm sure the poor guy in the video had total support from the union as do the whiners who scam health and safety rhetoric to get their route done by casuals on heavy or extreme weather days.

Now breathe, relax. It'll be ok, they're there for you too......
I don't know, man. People who don't understand simple concepts frustrate me.

I guess ignorance is bliss and god, you must just be so **** happy all the time. Just skipping around with this dumb smile on your face. Must be great.
May 2, 2012
816 posts
428 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:16 pm
I finally got called in to take out 2/3 after an LC came down sick and had an easy 5 hour shift. Eclipse called me at 12:40 for a 1pm start, and I drive from Niagara to Hamilton. Needless to say, I called my supervisor and told them I'd be a bit late, they were cool with it.

When I got back to the depot, I got to talking to the evening supervisor and asked them about restructure and she hadn't heard anything about it. She did admit that she is just a relief supervisor and usually hears about things last.
Was this at Millen, or Depot 1? Only Depot 1 is having the restructure as far as I know.
Sep 19, 2004
407 posts
56 upvotes
Another question: can a new hired LC apply for /transfer to po4 position during probation period? I don’t know if po4 fits me but the daily stress of relief lc is suffering.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
sunvv wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 12:07 am
Another question: can a new hired LC apply for /transfer to po4 position during probation period? I don’t know if po4 fits me but the daily stress of relief lc is suffering.
Are you a term? If so, you can't. I don't think there is a probation period after being hired permanently unless you get hired very early.
Nov 12, 2017
189 posts
185 upvotes
sunvv wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 12:07 am
AFAIK, you need to pass your 480hrs before being able to transfer to another call list, then it is 1 year of occupancy requirement.
be aware PO4 has much fewer hours, even if you're being called to work every night. only ~20-24 hrs

Oh, almost forget to mention that day shift does not exist and it will take you 15+ years of seniority to even have a chance to bid a backfill on the shift.
but of course it's all depending on the location.
Nov 12, 2017
189 posts
185 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 12:58 am
Are you a term? If so, you can't. I don't think there is a probation period after being hired permanently unless you get hired very early.
I think you can transfer call list between group 1 and 2. A few of my colleagues went to LC from PO4, I guess it's all depending on the staffing requirement, the staffer send out a email once every few months to ask if any on-call PO4 is interested in LC position.
I suppose it is much easier for PO4 to switch into LC than vice versa.
Oct 11, 2018
200 posts
117 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:53 pm
Was this at Millen, or Depot 1? Only Depot 1 is having the restructure as far as I know.
Ah yes, it was Millen.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 2 guests)

tarjet, kehfun, RSMC1234, stalbert1