[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1971 posts
428 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:30 am
Umm, I think your depot might be the outlier. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I've heard a restructure costs ~$1 million to implement.
I heard a restructure costs about $70-80K to implement. I guess that's how reliable rumours are :-D
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1971 posts
428 upvotes
Seems like there is a proposal to convert one of the facilities in Calgary into separate sort and delivery. The new position will be called Day Routers. All they will be doing is sorting manual mail (flats) and tying out.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
Thrasher wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 8:42 am
Seems like there is a proposal to convert one of the facilities in Calgary into separate sort and delivery. The new position will be called Day Routers. All they will be doing is sorting manual mail (flats) and tying out.
Easy job if it pays the same as letter carriers make.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15929 posts
612 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
iirc there are already day sorters at some facilities in the gta, I tried bidding but high seniority people are taking it cause its same pay as lc and you get to stay inside and work day hours
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1971 posts
428 upvotes
Day Routers might be a good idea for the people actually owning that position. But for the letter carriers delivering their sorted mail on walking routes it will be a nightmare.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1505 posts
1099 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Thrasher wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:46 am
Day Routers might be a good idea for the people actually owning that position. But for the letter carriers delivering their sorted mail on walking routes it will be a nightmare.
I agree with this. I would bid on the router position. NOT because I want the inside job, but because I wouldn't want the resulting nightmare !!!!!
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 11, 2018
200 posts
117 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:13 pm
You should be fine then, since they'll average your last 26 weeks and give you 55% of that. If you hadn't been working that'd be one tiny payout.

Just be ready to do all the math 3 times and bend over backwards to walk them through it, because they're either hiring inept people or mandating them to feign stupidity so people get frustrated and drop their claim. They must use the same hiring pool as WorkSafe.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Where are you on the seniority list now?
So I found out I am number 18 out of 22 terms at the depot. Not great. I love the job but may have to start looking elsewhere. That's hard to look at.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4584 posts
1262 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thrasher wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:46 am
Half the routes don’t even make sense if you were to tie it out the corporate way. Obviously the 2 bundle system is here to stay.
When will cupw start representing the urban side??? Anyone know?
May 22, 2015
470 posts
657 upvotes
Vancouver
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:58 am
So I found out I am number 18 out of 22 terms at the depot. Not great. I love the job but may have to start looking elsewhere. That's hard to look at.
Most Christmas hires will have the same mindset, at this point it's just a waiting game to see if there's movement above you, apply for EI or as you said, to move on.

There should be a zone seniority list to give you a better idea of where you stand. Things are always slow until around Spring Break (end of March iirc) when people start taking vacations again.
Oct 24, 2017
105 posts
124 upvotes
About having many crap working at CP, in my opinion it starts with the hiring process. For example instead of having that computer quiz done at home, CP should have people to do it at the plant. For example if my understanding of English isnt good, or if I don’t know the difference between a square from a rectangle then, at home, I can just ask my husband, wife or kids to help me, at the plant you are on your own...
The hiring process done properly can eliminate lots of “weed”, but the union is to blame as well, it’s unbelievable the protection they give to weed like workers, they become like parasites just dragging around and sucking the system.
May 22, 2015
470 posts
657 upvotes
Vancouver
The probation process has no teeth. Supervisors just let people coast to 480 then they're stuck with then because its easier than do the paperwork to fire them.

Now that the timeframe for FT is 6 months to a year, we're now getting perm RLCs who have never sorted a walk. Backfills only capable of doing 3/4 routes after 2 weeks on the walk. These are the baddies that just squeaked through and weren't fired when they should've been. Now we're stuck with them. Forever. We can only do so much to try and show them that their work ethic is garbage - for one guy we will not do his parcels or spare section on OT. Management's attitude is "he's a backfill, he won't be here forever, let his new station deal with him". Yes, but he was a term here for 4 months prior, this is their own doing.
Oct 11, 2018
200 posts
117 upvotes
I want to try and hold on, but life gets in the way sometimes and I need to be a provider for my wife and children. My wife does work, but she can't be the sole breadwinner in the house, we simply can't afford that.

6 months to FT would be great, a year, not so much. I was lucky in my position with CP that I had the same walk for 5 weeks, and although there were days I got help with parcels due to volume, I still sorted, pulled according to header, and collated my own flyers for next day delivery. I take pride in being one of the terms who "gets it", but as mentioned, I need to be able to pay bills.

We socked some away for a rainy day but how far we can stretch it out with full time (or even PT) hours has yet to be seen.

I want this job, but the uncertainty of hours up till PT/FThas me worried.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:58 am
Half the routes don’t even make sense if you were to tie it out the corporate way. Obviously the 2 bundle system is here to stay.
When will cupw start representing the urban side??? Anyone know?
Cupw represents Palestine,Cuba and lousy employees, that's it. Those who actually deliver mail and work hard need not bother cause your just dues to them.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:17 am
About having many crap working at CP, in my opinion it starts with the hiring process. For example instead of having that computer quiz done at home, CP should have people to do it at the plant. For example if my understanding of English isnt good, or if I don’t know the difference between a square from a rectangle then, at home, I can just ask my husband, wife or kids to help me, at the plant you are on your own...
The hiring process done properly can eliminate lots of “weed”, but the union is to blame as well, it’s unbelievable the protection they give to weed like workers, they become like parasites just dragging around and sucking the system.
Yes, it’s unbelieveable the protection they give uniformly to all members who pay dues. As is their role. As is their role. As is their role.

Jesus Christ.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:56 am
I want to try and hold on, but life gets in the way sometimes and I need to be a provider for my wife and children. My wife does work, but she can't be the sole breadwinner in the house, we simply can't afford that.

6 months to FT would be great, a year, not so much. I was lucky in my position with CP that I had the same walk for 5 weeks, and although there were days I got help with parcels due to volume, I still sorted, pulled according to header, and collated my own flyers for next day delivery. I take pride in being one of the terms who "gets it", but as mentioned, I need to be able to pay bills.

We socked some away for a rainy day but how far we can stretch it out with full time (or even PT) hours has yet to be seen.

I want this job, but the uncertainty of hours up till PT/FThas me worried.
This might be a dumb idea but could you transfer to a nearby zone?

I accidentally put myself near the middle/top of a term list by transferring to a zone whose training was a week after mine. I was ahead of every term trained at the same time.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Helidaz