Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 13, 2013
269 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver
My dad worked for CP back in the day and he said they always used to change over to winter tires. He was shocked that they no longer do.
Jan 13, 2013
269 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver
When is the union presidency up for election? It seems like Mike has been there forever (a bad sign, since he hasn't). I'd hope we get some candidates that are more in touch with the needs of LCs.

I've worked with people in different depots who would make excellent representatives, and would be willing to run, except for the fact that the prez has to reside in Ottawa. Yet another archiac stance by CUPW. How many great potential candidates are we losing because we can't use technology to communicate?
Apr 12, 2011
615 posts
457 upvotes
Etobicoke
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 8:54 pm
It’s driving that I’m worried about. It literally isn’t safe to drive in non winter tires in the snow. It’s madness.
Like someone else mentioned, my transit is actually pretty decent in the snow.
Driving without winter tires is, for the most part easy to do. Just because you have snow tires on, doesn't mean you can all of a sudden stop on a dime and plow through 2 feet of snow.

If your CP vehicle has BALD tires, report that immediately to your supervisor and get some new ones. Especially if you drive a RWD panel van.
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:23 pm
My dad worked for CP back in the day and he said they always used to change over to winter tires. He was shocked that they no longer do.
I highly doubt Canada Post has ever put snow tires on their fleet. Maybe in some areas where it's snow and ice for 8 months of the year, but in Toronto/Vancouver? Unlikely. Toronto Police don't even have snow tires on most of their fleet.
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
Today wasn’t that bad. I cut some loops but delivered 80% of mail and all scannables and flyers.

Apparently we are getting a ton of snow tonight so tomorrow could be more interesting.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11192 posts
2636 upvotes
GTA
fishscale4sale wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:17 pm
Like someone else mentioned, my transit is actually pretty decent in the snow.
Mine has snows on the back only lol. Lots of us stuck on a hill last big snowfall in Toronto, lol.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
195 posts
115 upvotes
More snow/freezing rain/rain in the forecast for souther Ontario tomorrow. Should be fun fun!

@pike18 I was at Depot 1 again today. There was about 10 terms there ready to take out mail and they sent us out in cabs because there were no trucks to be had. Then we came back after delivering what we could carry out and grabbed our trucks and loaded them up with parcels and the rest of the mail. I wonder why the corp didn't put in for some rentals to help out with the volume count and the resulting mail that always gets delayed by a day.

I'm all for old-school cabbing it but it's a little hard to do parcels and a full route without a truck :)
May 2, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:03 pm
More snow/freezing rain/rain in the forecast for souther Ontario tomorrow. Should be fun fun!

@pike18 I was at Depot 1 again today. There was about 10 terms there ready to take out mail and they sent us out in cabs because there were no trucks to be had. Then we came back after delivering what we could carry out and grabbed our trucks and loaded them up with parcels and the rest of the mail. I wonder why the corp didn't put in for some rentals to help out with the volume count and the resulting mail that always gets delayed by a day.

I'm all for old-school cabbing it but it's a little hard to do parcels and a full route without a truck :)
The sad thing is that I think there are a bunch of rentals on hand. It’s a disaster in there. My trip’s mail from Wednesday-Friday went out on the weekend, but my volume counter didn’t finish until about 1130 (I’m 1st wave). I have a full 3-wing double flip, but that’s still pretty unreasonable. I didn’t end up getting on the street until almost 12:30 and got back around 20:30 last night. I’ll gladly take the overtime when I can, but a lot of people can’t, which is why you see two full sections of routes coming back every day. They’re done the count after this week, so hopefully it goes back to normal soon.

In the meantime, it looks like you’ll have plenty of work:)
Dec 23, 2011
195 posts
131 upvotes
toronto
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:03 pm
Today wasn’t that bad. I cut some loops but delivered 80% of mail and all scannables and flyers.

Apparently we are getting a ton of snow tonight so tomorrow could be more interesting.
Now that terms are getting wages increases faster than fulltimers, any possibility of switching from ft back to on call employment?

For me there is zero reason to be fulltime now.
Apr 30, 2015
791 posts
582 upvotes
York, ON
pike18 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:41 am
The sad thing is that I think there are a bunch of rentals on hand. It’s a disaster in there. My trip’s mail from Wednesday-Friday went out on the weekend, but my volume counter didn’t finish until about 1130 (I’m 1st wave). I have a full 3-wing double flip, but that’s still pretty unreasonable. I didn’t end up getting on the street until almost 12:30 and got back around 20:30 last night. I’ll gladly take the overtime when I can, but a lot of people can’t, which is why you see two full sections of routes coming back every day. They’re done the count after this week, so hopefully it goes back to normal soon.

In the meantime, it looks like you’ll have plenty of work:)
How do they handle volume counts when mail is being brought back?
Jan 13, 2013
269 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver
fishscale4sale wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:17 pm
I highly doubt Canada Post has ever put snow tires on their fleet. Maybe in some areas where it's snow and ice for 8 months of the year, but in Toronto/Vancouver? Unlikely. Toronto Police don't even have snow tires on most of their fleet.
Well , they did in the Fraser Valley, where the weather isn't much different than Vancouver. He set up the contracts with the local garages himself.
Oct 11, 2018
195 posts
115 upvotes
fishhunting wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:44 am
Now that terms are getting wages increases faster than fulltimers, any possibility of switching from ft back to on call employment?

Pardon the ignorance but how are we getting wage increases faster? Not.trolling, genuinely curious.
Oct 11, 2018
195 posts
115 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:15 am
How do they handle volume counts when mail is being brought back?
They put it on a cart and offer it up to terms the next day. The same mail will never be counted twice.
Jul 6, 2017
163 posts
124 upvotes
fishhunting wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:44 am

Regardless of wage issues, you can't do this.
I looked into this because a zone I want to transfer to is actually hiring new casuals but as full time I've been waiting nearly a year for a position.
It's too bad we can't revert to casual until our preferred position comes up. I'd just like to move and stay employed!
May 22, 2015
456 posts
634 upvotes
Vancouver
Terms aren't getting raises faster. The proposed change would be that terms would qualify for an annual raise if they worked 1000 hours (approx 20 hours a week). Currently terms do not get raises until they are fulltime. However most zones have a fulltime hire time of around a year anyway, so it's a fluff change. During the hiring freeze some terms went 3+ years without a raise, which is when a change like this would have actually made a difference.

So I'm not sure what he's talking about. As FT you get a lot of unquantified / QOL benefits that terms do not - pension, guaranteed hours, first choice of walks (a relief with less seniority than a term still has first pick), options to change stations, medical/dental, vacation, personal days... Why anyone would revert is beyond me, unless they really want that 4+4+2% in lieu payment for vacation, benefits and pension.
Oct 11, 2018
195 posts
115 upvotes
Say a term of 10 years finally wants to go FT and they do their paperwork and get hired on, would they then have seniority over a FT person with a more recent hire date?

Also, what happens when I eventually get hired on as either PT or FT LC? I am automatically a relief carrier? To one depot?

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 1 guest)

mikebc, KaleMerrier, CalamityY, trellaine201, stalbert1