Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:44 pm
They gave me an emergency car safety kit for having perfect attendance. 2 weeks later I got a 2-4 for refusing forced OT.
wear that 24 as a badge of honor- you stood up for yourself
lead by example
Oct 26, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
Sweet, I will find the Union Hall number. I know theres a small desk where there is a Union 'bulletin' board.
Apr 30, 2015
850 posts
643 upvotes
York, ON
clairebrownell636800364953295997 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi everyone:

I'm a reporter with Maclean's magazine, working on a story about the increase in recreational drugs being sent through the mail. This is my author page: https://www.google.com/search?q=claire+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

I'm not getting very far by asking for a response from Canada Post through official channels, so I was hoping some people on here who work there might be able to help me figure out what the process is when you identify a package you think contains a dangerous or illicit substance. I'm interested in both the official process (what you're trained to do) and what actually ends up happening in practice, if they're different. I'm also interested in whether or not you were aware of the huge increase in drugs being delivered through the mail — especially fentanyl, which can be deadly in very small amounts — and the fact Canada Post is the shipping method of choice because police don't have the power to seize packages in transit.

This is mostly for background — there's only so much I can do with responses posted on a forum from people whose identities I haven't verified. But if there's anyone who's sufficiently concerned about this or has a horror story you want to put on the record (I can keep your identity a secret), I encourage you to email me at claire dot brownell at macleans dot rogers dot com.

Thank you and stay safe in the snow!
Nothing personal but after the many garbage articles Maclean's published about us being overpaid and lazy there's no way in hell I would ever contribute to that publication.
May 22, 2015
805 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
I haven't noticed an increase in drugs. Aside from the odd stinky weed package its hard to tell what we're delivering.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
tarjet wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:43 pm
Nothing personal but after the many garbage articles Maclean's published about us being overpaid and lazy there's no way in hell I would ever contribute to that publication.
Exactly. Maybe they should try writing an article about how lazy arse homeowners who don't maintain their sidewalks are contributing to the highest injury rates in almost any sector...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4822 posts
1523 upvotes
Winnipeg
SamPickles wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:47 pm
Quick question folks, as a Part Timer PO4, my hours are 2am-10am on Monday and 4am-8am Tuesday through Friday. I am often extended to at least 6 hours, but it varies each day. When they offer overtime, i.e. come in 2 hours early, like today (Wednesday), I came in at 2am, am I just being paid regular 'extended hours' (straight pay) and not overtime (time and a half) pay? Ive heard both that, no regardless of hours worked in a shift, if you come in early for overtime, you get paid time and a half for those two hours you worked before your technical start time. Someone else told me, no no, come in at your regular start time, and you are guaranteed two hours extended after 8am (your technical finish time).

Why would I come in two hours before my shift, as opposed to coming in at my regular start time and be guaranteed 2 hours extended, if its the same pay.

God its hard getting a straight answer from anyone in management. Nary a shop steward / union rep to be found and only the uninformed opinions of my coworkers to go on. Thanks for being a second opinion guys/dolls.[/b]
Overtime is paid after 8hours regardless before or after your regular shift
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
clairebrownell636800364953295997 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:06 pm
Hi everyone:

I'm a reporter with Maclean's magazine, working on a story about the increase in recreational drugs being sent through the mail. This is my author page: https://www.google.com/search?q=claire+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

I'm not getting very far by asking for a response from Canada Post through official channels, so I was hoping some people on here who work there might be able to help me figure out what the process is when you identify a package you think contains a dangerous or illicit substance. I'm interested in both the official process (what you're trained to do) and what actually ends up happening in practice, if they're different. I'm also interested in whether or not you were aware of the huge increase in drugs being delivered through the mail — especially fentanyl, which can be deadly in very small amounts — and the fact Canada Post is the shipping method of choice because police don't have the power to seize packages in transit.

This is mostly for background — there's only so much I can do with responses posted on a forum from people whose identities I haven't verified. But if there's anyone who's sufficiently concerned about this or has a horror story you want to put on the record (I can keep your identity a secret), I encourage you to email me at claire dot brownell at macleans dot rogers dot com.

Thank you and stay safe in the snow!
we are advised to be watchful for damaged mail that might be leaking - much is sent without proper labeling to help identify the contents to reduce risk to public- when it does happen, a supervisor is alerted and determines best procedure eg. the damaged mail is put into a plastic bag as appropriate; an area might be quarantined for cleanup or evacuated for haz mat investigation.
customs has the responsibility to screen out incoming mail
I think it is important to respect people's privacy- I never inquire or remark to the receiver about their mail- it could be 14 welfare checks to the same address with variations on the homeowners name. We are not the stassi
Sure, we may all fall victim to a fiendish plot by the proc to poison us by flooding our postal service with fentanyl leaking packets- but as an alternative to having to deliver in full haz mat gear, there's not much we can practically do about it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4673 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
Does Canada Post get a lot of people who quit during the winter time? I would imagine that a lot of people would probably apply in the spring or summer, but when the weather goes to -20 seriously reconsider the job, especially if they don't have a wife/kids/mortgage...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4822 posts
1523 upvotes
Winnipeg
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 8:51 pm
Does Canada Post get a lot of people who quit during the winter time? I would imagine that a lot of people would probably apply in the spring or summer, but when the weather goes to -20 seriously reconsider the job, especially if they don't have a wife/kids/mortgage...
Turnover is huge
May 22, 2015
805 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
They don't do as much hiring in the winter/spring based on what I've seen, but they will hire whenever their staffing list is short on people. Seasonal hiring starts mid Fall and most contracts end mid January AFAIK. Most people quit within the first 3 months regardless of weather, so if you make it past 3 months you're probably going to hang around for a while. I rarely train people during the winter so I'm pretty sure they overstaff for that season then offer a lot of the seasonal hires a permanent contract in lieu of hiring and training a new horde of casuals off the street.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:45 am
I'd guess they'd transfer you before bumping someone to full time there though, right? I hope that's how it works.
I'm pretty sure that would be the case. They go down the list of transfer requests by seniority, then I imagine they would look at terms applying for full time.
This is why it takes much longer to get FT in small towns vs big cities.
I'll probably have to accept a PT position just to get in there and wait until my number comes up for FT.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:56 am
Pre-Eclipse everything was done by phone, that system only came online around 2016. I wouldn't think too much about it, maybe Eclipse has already cycled today and they're just picking up where it left off (without having it cycle through everyone who has already declined today). If everyone lets it go to voicemail instead of picking up and declining I imagine it could take hours to get down to you, whereas a phone call from a human is instant.
After not being able to accept the assignment, Eclipse called me for a daily. All I am saying is that we were told, and from what I experienced, was that assignments are offered up on Wednesday evenings through Eclipse.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
Hey @pike18 it turns our I played soccer with one of the shop stewards 15 years ago, and we just reconnected today. Small world. So far, I am liking Depot 1. Not sure why it has such a bad rep.

Now if I could only figure out who you are...haha. PS: Walk 23 is pretty great.
Apr 24, 2018
46 posts
27 upvotes
SamPickles wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:47 pm
Quick question folks, as a Part Timer PO4, my hours are 2am-10am on Monday and 4am-8am Tuesday through Friday. I am often extended to at least 6 hours, but it varies each day. When they offer overtime, i.e. come in 2 hours early, like today (Wednesday), I came in at 2am, am I just being paid regular 'extended hours' (straight pay) and not overtime (time and a half) pay? Ive heard both that, no regardless of hours worked in a shift, if you come in early for overtime, you get paid time and a half for those two hours you worked before your technical start time. Someone else told me, no no, come in at your regular start time, and you are guaranteed two hours extended after 8am (your technical finish time).

Why would I come in two hours before my shift, as opposed to coming in at my regular start time and be guaranteed 2 hours extended, if its the same pay.

God its hard getting a straight answer from anyone in management. Nary a shop steward / union rep to be found and only the uninformed opinions of my coworkers to go on. Thanks for being a second opinion guys/dolls.[/b]

straight time up to 8 hours, after 8 and up to 10 hours 1.5, after 10 hours double time plus meal allowance. extended hours can be offered before or after shift when required, if offered extended before shift you cannot decline and work extended after unless the supervisor agrees. in other words you work what is offered not what you want, you can also decline extended if you want and work you regular shift only
Feb 12, 2019
3 posts
2 upvotes
raamman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 7:20 pm
we are advised to be watchful for damaged mail that might be leaking - much is sent without proper labeling to help identify the contents to reduce risk to public- when it does happen, a supervisor is alerted and determines best procedure eg. the damaged mail is put into a plastic bag as appropriate; an area might be quarantined for cleanup or evacuated for haz mat investigation.
customs has the responsibility to screen out incoming mail
I think it is important to respect people's privacy- I never inquire or remark to the receiver about their mail- it could be 14 welfare checks to the same address with variations on the homeowners name. We are not the stassi
Sure, we may all fall victim to a fiendish plot by the proc to poison us by flooding our postal service with fentanyl leaking packets- but as an alternative to having to deliver in full haz mat gear, there's not much we can practically do about it.
This is a great and extremely quotable answer and I wish I could use it. Any chance you would be willing to verify who you are so I can (again, just for my own information, not to be published)? You can email or text/call me if so at 647-278-5361 (do not do this from a work device or using work wifi)

Thread Information

There are currently 16 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 13 guests)

Postieman, Progatron, rangeroad07