Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 19, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
Quick few questions since I’m still new - I am a relief LC when the staffing supervisor is handing out assignments should it be chosen based on seniority or can they just say you get walk X? 4 of us reliefs were sent from our regular depot to help at another and when we showed up we were assigned our walks no choices, yet at our regular depot our staffing supervisor let’s us pick based on seniority

Also is forced OT still going on? If I don’t finish a walk I’m assigned can I bring the mail back or can they tell me it has to be delivered ?
Dec 21, 2007
747 posts
340 upvotes
moncton
ocallaghand wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 11:20 pm
Today, Eclipse called me at 9:40am for a 10am shift. After the snow storm, the roads were a little dicey. I live 35 minutes away on a good day so I called our staffing sup. All good, she understood and I put in 9 hours. Common courtesy goes a long way. It's also a two way street.
From what I understand you have an hour to get there but they have to pay you from the time stated. So in your scenario as long as you get there before 10:40 hey have to pay you from 10:00. Though this is for inside, rules might be different for outside.
May 22, 2015
509 posts
693 upvotes
Vancouver
zeelctoronto wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:04 pm
Quick few questions since I’m still new - I am a relief LC when the staffing supervisor is handing out assignments should it be chosen based on seniority or can they just say you get walk X? 4 of us reliefs were sent from our regular depot to help at another and when we showed up we were assigned our walks no choices, yet at our regular depot our staffing supervisor let’s us pick based on seniority

Also is forced OT still going on? If I don’t finish a walk I’m assigned can I bring the mail back or can they tell me it has to be delivered ?
Forced OT isn't going on. Much to management's annoyance.

When you get sent out, if you all arrive at the same time, you should get choices. In the case of (likely) no one knowing what walks are good and the staffer not wanting to wait for the last guy to straggle in, he probably just assigned walks based on your seniority. As in he knows what walks are better than others and he just gave you them in that order.

If I was sent out I wouldn't want to wait for someone to straggle in for picks. At that point it's practically emergency, which is first come first served. I wouldn't sweat it either way. If you don't like being sent out you should tell your staffer to call you when they know there's no work. It'll give you the option to stay home instead of having a shitty day.
Oct 11, 2018
216 posts
125 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:31 pm
From what I understand you have an hour to get there but they have to pay you from the time stated. So in your scenario as long as you get there before 10:40 hey have to pay you from 10:00. Though this is for inside, rules might be different for outside.
I never heard of that before. I signed in for 10:30am. I'll ask about that next time.
May 22, 2015
509 posts
693 upvotes
Vancouver
I haven't heard of that either. Generally you clock in when you're supposed to and sign out for 8 or whatever is agreed upon. Start times and finish times don't really mean anything for LCs, we're not "hourly" in that sense.

I'm amazed that RLCs are getting sent out. Ours are always locked in to LTA or at least weekly bids and we're chronically short staffed. We're the station people get sent to.
Mar 22, 2012
567 posts
277 upvotes
By the River
Lets say you are told to be at a depot at 9am. If they don't have work and send you home you automatically get 3 hours.
If they overstaffed and they need you at another depot, your day started at 9am and you make sure when you arrive at the other depot that they know you will be signing in for 9am....whatever time you arrive.
I've had to argue with supervisors about this but always won because they knew I was right.
Sometimes they called the other depot to make them put an hour or so in their system, either way the time you are told to be there is your start time.
May 22, 2015
509 posts
693 upvotes
Vancouver
He's talking about getting called in off the bench for a 10 am start with 30 mins notice though. I'd sign in when I got there and put in for 8 hours unless told otherwise.
Oct 11, 2018
216 posts
125 upvotes
icexman83 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 7:11 pm
Go to intrapost and look for the Resources tab. Click on that and look for regional pages. Select the region and you will be able to see bids, and results for that region. Sometimes it’s not up to date though.
I've been looking around for the regional pages you mentioned, but I can't seem to find anything. Any idea where in Resources it's located? TIA.

EDIT: I found it, thanks so much.
Jan 13, 2013
287 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
icexman83 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 7:11 pm
Go to intrapost and look for the Resources tab. Click on that and look for regional pages. Select the region and you will be able to see bids, and results for that region. Sometimes it’s not up to date though.
Thanks for that info. In the entire West region, Edmonton was the only depot to have postings listed. Why does CP even offer such a resource if no one participates in it? Maybe we need more vice presidents to help run our ESS.
Oct 11, 2018
216 posts
125 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 9:16 am
Thanks for that info. In the entire West region, Edmonton was the only depot to have postings listed. Why does CP even offer such a resource if no one participates in it? Maybe we need more vice presidents to help run our ESS.
Same. No Hamilton, only GTA.

Oh well.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4623 posts
1286 upvotes
Winnipeg
Union is going around with a petition on night routers.
Too focused on rural, so they forgot that in the negotiations.
Adding another hour onto the routes will be great
Aug 21, 2010
101 posts
37 upvotes
toronto
is that in favour or against
airmail wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 10:03 am
Union is going around with a petition on night routers.
Too focused on rural, so they forgot that in the negotiations.
Adding another hour onto the routes will be great
Jan 13, 2013
287 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
A new transfer RLC came into our depot and she did not look the part of an LC: Dumpy, tired-looking, overweight, and moves around the office like cold molasses. I reserved judgement on her performance because looks can be deceiving.

Well they weren't in this case. She delivers mail for about 9 days before it's determined she can't do the route. Now she sits on her ass all day counting flyers and blocking mail between smoke breaks. She would be at the bottom of the seniority list taking the worst daily assignments but now someone with more seniority than her will get last picks.

Why do useless people apply for this job? Oh that's right ; we completely cater to them.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 5:47 pm
A new transfer RLC came into our depot and she did not look the part of an LC: Dumpy, tired-looking, overweight, and moves around the office like cold molasses. I reserved judgement on her performance because looks can be deceiving.

Well they weren't in this case. She delivers mail for about 9 days before it's determined she can't do the route. Now she sits on her ass all day counting flyers and blocking mail between smoke breaks. She would be at the bottom of the seniority list taking the worst daily assignments but now someone with more seniority than her will get last picks.

Why do useless people apply for this job? Oh that's right ; we completely cater to them.
Never should have been hired in the first place, now if we had an efficient company they would fire her.