Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 13, 2013
355 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver
stalbert1 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 5:50 pm
Never should have been hired in the first place, now if we had an efficient company they would fire her.
I've heard several accounts from peer trainers who strongly recommend to not hire the bad ones. CP ignores these warnings and the trainer gets to watch their predictions come true as their career progresses.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 6:53 pm
I've heard several accounts from peer trainers who strongly recommend to not hire the bad ones. CP ignores these warnings and the trainer gets to watch their predictions come true as their career progresses.

you'd rather let joe blow have a say in someones employment ?
how long do you think it will take before someone abuses that authority ?

focus on your own work, not someone else
May 22, 2015
850 posts
1024 upvotes
Vancouver
raamman wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:02 pm

And this is what's wrong with the company. Keeping on people incapable of doing a full day's work makes the rest of us have to work harder to catch up. A station is allotted X hours of overtime per year, once that runs out it's slim pickings and each hour needs to be okayed by higher ups. Staffing gets audited, superintendents get chewed out by the zone manager and it all flows downhill. Maybe you haven't seen that yet, but things get tense around the end of the fiscal year when the Christmas numbers come back and the station went way over on hours. When you have someone that doesn't want to work the station isn't magically awarded another term to cover their slack. Each new build determines how many RLC routes will be housed in the station as well. If you have a bad RLC not doing their job then that station is effectively down a relief for the duration of that build.

I have yelled in my superintendent's office that several of my trainees SHOULD NOT BE HIRED. Like, been willing to take a 24 over it because I feel that strongly. It's just clear that after a week with them there is no chance they will ever be a successful carrier and they'll just be a drag on resources, assuming they don't kill someone first. Since we're the lowest seniority station they always wind up coming back here and the staffer and I just shake our heads as I take out the OT section(s!) they left behind. Don't get me wrong, I like working OT but there are some people who I just won't do it for out of principle, even if it hurts my paycheque.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
raamman wrote:

Then why do they have to write a report on how the trainee did?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
raamman wrote:

You don't weigh the report 100%. You take into account how their reports have lined up with future performance before.

It is a really keen insight into the work ethic of a new employee. You can also, put them through several mentors in their probation and then get a balance of those reports.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
When you transfer to a certain zone can you put conditions on that transfer?

Like can I only take a transfer to a certain depot? Basically, I live near a depot in a different zone and I'd like to walk to work.
Sep 19, 2004
461 posts
122 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 8:40 pm

Like can I only take a transfer to a certain depot? Basically, I live near a depot in a different zone and I'd like to walk to work.
I think you can transfer to the zone, then bid for your desire depot.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
Did everyone get Costco in their letter mail?

As I was finishing a loop a guy way at the other end of the block starts yelling at me and waving a letter. I would have ignored it but a bunch of neighbors were out and all started pointing at him saying "He needs you! Hurry!"
So I go back to the start of the block and the guy hands me the letter and says "No one named Treasure Hunter liver here."

...I was not happy.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
sunvv wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 9:52 pm
I think you can transfer to the zone, then bid for your desire depot.
So, you get transferred in as a relief to any available spot and then bid to the depot you want? Or, do you get approved as a transfer and then bid from your own zone?

The first one, I kind of don't want to do. I like my own walk right now and would only move to be guarunteed closer to home i think.
Jan 13, 2013
355 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 10:00 pm
So, you get transferred in as a relief to any available spot and then bid to the depot you want? Or, do you get approved as a transfer and then bid from your own zone?

The first one, I kind of don't want to do. I like my own walk right now and would only move to be guarunteed closer to home i think.
Yeah, it's the first one and it sucks. I'm considering the Eastern Zone (if that's what it's called). I could end up anywhere from Chilliwack and Maple Ridge before I bid out. Not too fond of that.

They can/do make exceptions and might work with you if you need to get your affairs in order (ie sell your house) before going over, but I don't know if you can bid on positions during that grace period.

I'll just have to talk to staffing when the transfer becomes available and see how accommodating they'll be.
May 2, 2012
877 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
airmail wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 10:03 am
Union is going around with a petition on night routers.
Too focused on rural, so they forgot that in the negotiations.
Adding another hour onto the routes will be great
That’s not a collectively bargained topic. That’s a work process, just like postal transformation. The only thing that can be argued about it is what you mentioned, the overburdening aspect. Overburdening is probably the single most topic these negotiations on the urban side
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 8:40 pm

As mentioned before, you bid into the zone, which initially puts you as 'unassigned'. They will then assign you to a position within that zone, usually on a route that's going up for bids, so 4 weeks or whatever. You can then bid in the next round. If you can afford the time off, you can take unpaid leave until you get into your desired depot.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 19, 2017
59 posts
40 upvotes
VanMailMan wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 9:58 pm
Did everyone get Costco in their letter mail?

As I was finishing a loop a guy way at the other end of the block starts yelling at me and waving a letter. I would have ignored it but a bunch of neighbors were out and all started pointing at him saying "He needs you! Hurry!"
So I go back to the start of the block and the guy hands me the letter and says "No one named Treasure Hunter liver here."

...I was not happy.
OMG...priceless! Live & learn, I carded a parcel once, then went on my loop to deliver mail. That home owner returned as I was a few houses away & called out to me...I never acknowledged his calls till a neighbor on a balcony closer to me also tried to flag me down. I just waved off the neighbour & told him I would be back later after my loop. Did not know & did not care if he heard me, lol...my transit was parked right in front of his house so should be evident I was coming back! Funny part was that home owner was nowhere to be found when I got back to my transit.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

MattC74520