Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
Ask them if they have any inside work available (p04) then if you get inside just put in for a transfer.
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 8:03 pm
I saw the person come in to the building with a bunch of packages on a cart, go directly to the mail room, put notices and letters in the boxes, and leave with all the packages. Face With Look Of Triumph
You buzz first from outside. It's not actually that unusual to get no answers with several packages. I had 4 for one building today and no one answered.
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
Vancouver is looking for transfers? Is it worth calling staffing and offering to transfer if they can put me in a specific depot?

Also, what does 'vancouver' mean here. Would that be every zone in vancouver?
Aug 21, 2010
110 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
curious if any of yous got pulled over with your transat...curious if police just give warnings to yous as being a cp driver
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt in a school zone (I was delivering to the school). BC has a "milkman exemption" where if you're doing frequent stops and not going over 40 km/h you don't need to fasten your seatbelt. I did manage to talk my way out of a ticket. Its odd that I always wear a seatbelt driving into a school because it sets a poor example for the kids if they see you not buckling, that was just the single day I forgot and got caught for it. The cop "let me off with a warning", in my opinion I didn't break any law, but whatever.
220 (4) A person in a motor vehicle being driven or operated on a highway must, if the motor vehicle has properly attached to it a seat belt assembly for the seating position occupied by that person, wear the complete seat belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to a person

(c) who is actually engaged in work that requires him or her to alight from and re-enter the motor vehicle at frequent intervals and who, while engaged in that work, does not drive or travel in that vehicle at a speed exceeding 40 km/h,
Note: This is not a national driving rule so a supervisor can still write you up for no seatbelt. Even in BC.

I've never been hassled for stopping in a no stopping zone (but I still do it if there's nothing else available). Apparently you just let the truck get ticketed and let CP pay or fight it. If you go out to confront the officer the ticket goes against you (not the vehicle) and CP won't fight it for you.
May 2, 2012
842 posts
439 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mikebc wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 9:40 pm
I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt in a school zone (I was delivering to the school). BC has a "milkman exemption" where if you're doing frequent stops and not going over 40 km/h you don't need to fasten your seatbelt. I did manage to talk my way out of a ticket. Its odd that I always wear a seatbelt driving into a school because it sets a poor example for the kids if they see you not buckling, that was just the single day I forgot and got caught for it. The cop "let me off with a warning", in my opinion I didn't break any law, but whatever.

Note: This is not a national driving rule so a supervisor can still write you up for no seatbelt. Even in BC.

I've never been hassled for stopping in a no stopping zone (but I still do it if there's nothing else available). Apparently you just let the truck get ticketed and let CP pay or fight it. If you go out to confront the officer the ticket goes against you (not the vehicle) and CP won't fight it for you.
Check your municipal by-laws for parking. In Hamilton, we can park anywhere we want because we’re classified as emergency vehicles.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5031 posts
2490 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 7:59 pm
You buzz first from outside. It's not actually that unusual to get no answers with several packages. I had 4 for one building today and no one answered.
So far, I talked to 3 Canada Post delivery people. One directly comes to the door and leaves packages, no buzzing or any BS. One, who would not buzz at all, is apparently the regular person, but is now on vacation. One, who buzzes, covering for the regular person, agreed to leave packages at my door without buzzing.
Apr 30, 2015
808 posts
595 upvotes
York, ON
We really are not supposed to leave packages in a hallway of an apartment building. Its way too common for those to get stolen and it's also a fire hazard.
Jul 6, 2017
186 posts
144 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 5:03 am
One, who buzzes, covering for the regular person, agreed to leave packages at my door without buzzing.
Probably a newbie who doesn't realize they are facing discipline if they get caught doing this. I bet you told them "the regular person always does it".
Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
I'm not sure if its true or not but I heard there's an archaic law still in the books that we can run red lights if you have a priority parcel in the truck. I guess that ties into being classified as emergency vehicles in some jurisdictions.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4659 posts
1312 upvotes
Winnipeg
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 11:28 am
I'm not sure if its true or not but I heard there's an archaic law still in the books that we can run red lights if you have a priority parcel in the truck. I guess that ties into being classified as emergency vehicles in some jurisdictions.
Lol, back in the war days for the Queens mail
They just haven’t updated the laws.
You should test that law with that Priority Dope delivery
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5031 posts
2490 upvotes
VanMailMan wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 11:25 am
Probably a newbie who doesn't realize they are facing discipline if they get caught doing this. I bet you told them "the regular person always does it".
So I assume you’re one of those delivery people who only leaves notices without actually attempting delivery? :lol: Why is there even an option to choose Delivery Preference: Front Door if they’re not supposed to do it? Why is the other person leaving them at the door? They both said they can’t leave packages without talking to me, and now that they did talk to me, they will leave the packages at the door.
Last edited by hvwozq on Mar 21st, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4659 posts
1312 upvotes
Winnipeg
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 11:35 am
So I assume you’re one of those delivery people who only leaves notices without actually attempting delivery? :lol: Why is there even an option to choose Delivery Preference: Front Door if they’re not supposed to do it? They both said they can’t leave packages without talking to me, and now that they did talk to me, they will leave the packages at the door.
Leave at door is for houses only
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, I'd be even less likely to safedrop if a homeowner stalked me down like it was expected to be a regular thing. Where do I draw the line? Am I now safedropping TVs? Laptops? Is OP even home or just too lazy to answer the door? When he complains that someone didn't safedrop something now the regular carrier gets in shit. I hate seeing carriers being put in this situation as well, the relief probably doesn't want to rock the boat but would definitely feel uncomfortable doing it. You know for sure if it was stolen OP would be filing a complaint and stringing up that carrier, for doing him a favour. We have these rules so everything is done uniformly, expecting someone to break rules because well the other guy always does it isn't fair. I've been bit by a dog that usually gets treats from the route owner, **** that.

It's easier for me to buzz and card, and that's what management wants us to do, so I'd do that. I'm not hiking up a stairwell with a package to open myself up to discipline. If you're not home, that sucks for you. Use Flex or ask your building manager for a parcel locker.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

VanMailMan