Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 30, 2019
102 posts
45 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 6:32 pm
That would be amazing.
Count me in too, CUPW naturally will ensure it doesn't happen.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1722 posts
1279 upvotes
at the chiropractors
The main problem that I have with 10 hour days is that the "extra" hours in each day is all going to be the part that is hardest on your body. Walking/delivering. If they made it where you spent the first part of your shift sorting packets/inside work, for an hour or two, then it would be perfect. How about that? No depot support anymore, the inside work is done along with delivery! One group of employees....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 17, 2019
3 posts
mikebc wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 9:12 am
Maybe. It's pretty lucky to pick up an LTA like that right out of the gate.
There is work every day and I'm grateful to have it, but my team lead says that I may not have a job if I go on this already paid for trip. Who should I be asking for the time off? My team lead? The Superintendent is the one who said okay then changed his mind. Is there a formal process?
Oct 19, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
If you're on an assignment as a temp and you need to be released from it, you tell your staffing supervisor up until the friday before and that is that. Don't listen to anyone else. You're not a full time worker and get all the benefits that come with that status. They will just offer the assignment to the next person on eclipse. And eclipse will call you again when another assignment pops up. Don't give no sob stories, or tell them 3 months in advance, they don't need to know anything. You're just a temp and you pay union dues so you have protection.
May 2, 2012
878 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
deardragonfly wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 8:10 pm
There is work every day and I'm grateful to have it, but my team lead says that I may not have a job if I go on this already paid for trip. Who should I be asking for the time off? My team lead? The Superintendent is the one who said okay then changed his mind. Is there a formal process?
You’ll get a lot of mixed advice here because every station is so different. Your best option is to speak directly with someone from your local and document all the conversations you’ve had to this point.
Dec 21, 2007
845 posts
389 upvotes
moncton
deardragonfly wrote:
Oct 19th, 2019 9:48 am
Thanks for the reply. Have never been called. At completion of training was told to wait for a call and if I didn't receive one, just report to depot that I did my training at . I have been back there every day since. Somehow my status is now temporary and position is simply Letter carrier (relief)
I was told in training, by another relief carrier and by my team lead that it shouldn't be a problem . In fact the supervisor verbally told me that they would just "bench" me for that time and then came up to me and said "not possible". I'm young, new and don't know my way around the system. What do you recommend I do?
If you're not ever getting called then you don't have to worry about eclipse. Just keep doing what you're doing and go on your trip. Attendance warning letters are generated by eclipse so it sounds like you may not have to worry about that. And even if you get an attendance warning letter as long as you go back to taking most shifts you'll be fine.
May 22, 2015
861 posts
1025 upvotes
Vancouver
If he's backfilling an LTA then taking his vacation will be counted as a no-show and he'll be disciplined or fired. He needs to ask the staffing supervisor what his status is, we're not getting enough information to determine what he's covering. Is he locked in or day to day? How did he get an LTA without ever accepting it over Eclipse?

If he is backfilling then he needs to submit the leave request in writing and get it signed off on by the staffing supervisor (not the superintendent) as soon as possible. If the request is denied (in writing) then he needs to address that with a union rep and decide if he wants to call in the morning(s) of and use the urgent leave angle or just cancel the trip. Using urgent leave after you've requested the time off is a risky move.

He could also call his staffing liaison and talk it out with them. Maybe he can be released from his backfill early.

Still need more information. I can understand why they don't want to give him a vacation if it's during Christmas, since then every term above him will ask for the same. I've always thought they need to black out or reduce Christmas time holiday slots for this reason, the rule of thumb is you don't get time off in December as a term.
Feb 7, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
How many driving infractions is okay? How often does CPC pull up our drivers abstract?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11613 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
ILoveToronto wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 5:29 pm
How many driving infractions is okay? How often does CPC pull up our drivers abstract?
They had us all get our own a few months back, so they don't pull them without your permission. I was also told once that if you're allowed drive by the mto, cp will allow you to drive, regardless of points etc.

Only difference is if you're applying for the job, I believe you'd be allowed two on your abstract, but depends on what they were too. I don't think they'd look too kindly on a pair of careless driving offences.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 7, 2017
7 posts
Hello everyone,

I have got an offer from Canada post as a sorting clerk. It’s a temp position on call basis with no guarantee of hours. It’s for 8 weeks long. Just wondering if anyone knows on how we get notified about available hours. Will we get to know to show up to work on same day or any less time given??
Also just wondering how many hours we get per week roughly given it’s a busy holiday season...
any other details related to sorting clerk would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance...
Sep 19, 2004
462 posts
122 upvotes
Seriously? Cp would rather hire someone to play my manual than hire more carriers?

No offence here, I think temp gets call from eclipse. Getting a call or not depends on your seniority. If you are lucky you may cover short term or long term leave.

now it is approaching the busiest season of a year, you should be able to work everyday till the new year.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1722 posts
1279 upvotes
at the chiropractors
My favorite part of the night? Lisa Raitt getting turfed. She was the one in charge of Canada Post when the cons screwed us over.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
861 posts
1025 upvotes
Vancouver
I think a sorting clerk just processes packets and turnaround for 8 hours a day. IE. my nightmare, the reason I will take personal time off instead of getting modified inside. No offense to OP but it's funny that they hire for that position, I know a few carriers who would happily take a tumble to ride the Reg train through Christmas.
Last edited by mikebc on Oct 22nd, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2019
109 posts
53 upvotes
Strong liberal minority that can be propped up by the bloc or the NDP on a case by case basis. That actually has a chance of lasting a while.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

mikebc, Progatron