Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
3010 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
mailman655 wrote: Any help??

I feel down and hurt myself this week while delivering at a home. I was told to be off for 5 to 7 days and then to go back and do light duties. The next day I get a call asking if I want to come in to work. Luckly the homeowner saw me fall. I would like to know if I will get paid for the time I am off?
Are you a temp? Within the last 52 weeks have you accumalated a lot of hours?
Did you fill out a WSIB form? as this is a workplace injury.
Curious did you fall as a result of ice?
Too bad about the fall.
????????oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso????????
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
yes I am a temp. Terrible when we don't have any benefits. I completed a wsib form through work and my doctor did as well. Haven't received anything as of yet in the mail. I feel because of ice and the homeowner saw me. I had my clets on my feet, but they didn't help. I don't know how many hours I have accumulated but I have been working off and on as a temp.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
mailman655 wrote: Hi quick question what is a ft P04? and is this position in the depot
I work in a smaller post office but the PO4's there work on the dock loading and unloading trucks, sort and scan parcels, some flats etc for the letter carriers . Also the retail clerks selling the stamps etc are also PO4's but that is a tough position to get as a lot of the times that job is offered to injured workers.
I'm really not sure what else they do in the large depots.
Feb 12, 2013
3 posts
hi everyone. been perusing through this thread and i'm really appreciating the valuable information here. thanks to everyone for posting.

just a few questions, and forgive me if i'm being redundant...

1. i know cut off is 8pm. does that mean we have to be BACK AT THE STATION by 8pm? i wasn't sure, i kept delivering mail until about 7:45 at which point i just focused on getting my pci's out. i didn't get back to the station until around 9....supervisor wasn't too thrilled about that.

2. what is the deal with the one day assignments? is that just because my seniority is really low (i'm not even sure what number i am)? i've been reading here that staffing is supposed to call you on the friday to set you up for the next week. i think i even remember hearing that in lc school. i've been getting daily calls at around 11, and they're always for different walks. it's getting to a point where i'm dreading their calls. :(

3. how do i succeed at this job without running myself into the ground. honestly, i feel like i can't take breaks. matter of fact, i don't take breaks. i always feel like if i take even 10 minutes, that i'll just fall that much more behind. it doesn't help that i'll get to the station at around noon and still have to sort. by the time i finish sorting it's already 2-3pm.

siiiiiiigh
Nov 27, 2009
32 posts
1 upvote
Does Canada Post ever hire entry level positions in Vancouver?..
I've been checking and never see any postings up
Sep 2, 2011
283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I am currently a term PO4 in C&D West (Final Sort @Gateway). What is the procedure to trasfer to LC term list? I emailed a request to a local Union vice president as per her instructions, but that was 3-4 months ago, and I still haven't heard anything...

Thank you
Dec 7, 2012
70 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
mailman655 wrote: Any help??

I feel down and hurt myself this week while delivering at a home. I was told to be off for 5 to 7 days and then to go back and do light duties. The next day I get a call asking if I want to come in to work. Luckly the homeowner saw me fall. I would like to know if I will get paid for the time I am off?
When I was a term, you got paid because you still worked light duties inside the station sorting the turnaround, final sort or BCS or XX mail. Because assignments were five days minimum, you did the remainder of your assignment inside. Now, if your assignment ended, if your seniority meant people lower than you were working, you still got to work inside doing light duties. Some term LCs stayed on modified duties until they became regular emoloyees!

Now because of PT, many positions that injuried carriers once did are gone. If regular employees now have an unpaid waiting period for short term disability (i.e. we don't get sick days anymore), I don't think you'd be paid.

You might also get interviewed for your injury and the blame put on you; it happens.
Dec 7, 2012
70 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
exMOHAX wrote: Hi,

I am currently a term PO4 in C&D West (Final Sort @Gateway). What is the procedure to trasfer to LC term list? I emailed a request to a local Union vice president as per her instructions, but that was 3-4 months ago, and I still haven't heard anything...

Thank you

You have to contact PCR (Production Control & Reporting) at either Gateway or SCLPP. Terms are allowed to change classifications if there's room. You have to stay on the term list for that classification for a year.

If you're in West C & D, why don't you just transfer to the Gateway PO4 list? If Gateway hasn't been divided into east and west yet, you'd just transfer to Gateway; if split up it'd be TWPP (west) and BMF (east). If you do, I'd recommend going on the BMF (bulk mail facility) list because most terms at Gateway physically work in the east half of Gateway.
Jan 24, 2013
80 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond
Hey Noob
1. If cutoff was 8 I would be back there at 8 ready to go home.
2. Dont know anything bout that these days.
3. Time my friend. It does get easier. Most important thing is your own health.
Pace yourself, take your breaks, and claim the ot you earn.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Noob
For a couple years CP would only call temps in for a 5 day assignment or more. They would force FT letter carriers to work overtime to cover sections of vacant walks. CUPW recently won a grievance on this issue.

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/14449/la_id/1.htm

With CUPW winning this grievance, sorry to say there will be more one day assignments for people with low seniority. But on the other hand there will be less force backs for full time LC's.
As Utmost said take your lunch and breaks, and it does get better.
Feb 12, 2013
3 posts
Utmost12x2 wrote: Hey Noob
1. If cutoff was 8 I would be back there at 8 ready to go home.
2. Dont know anything bout that these days.
3. Time my friend. It does get easier. Most important thing is your own health.
Pace yourself, take your breaks, and claim the ot you earn.
sistereliza wrote: Noob
For a couple years CP would only call temps in for a 5 day assignment or more. They would force FT letter carriers to work overtime to cover sections of vacant walks. CUPW recently won a grievance on this issue.

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/14449/la_id/1.htm

With CUPW winning this grievance, sorry to say there will be more one day assignments for people with low seniority. But on the other hand there will be less force backs for full time LC's.
As Utmost said take your lunch and breaks, and it does get better.

understood.

thanks guys. this job is really testing my mettle. :confused:
Jan 12, 2013
15 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
Question:

Let's say you have your full-time or part-time status, but you don't bid on any routes because they're all pigs. What happens to you? Do you automatically become a relief LC assigned to a station or what?
Jan 31, 2012
63 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY
BACK TO WORK!

9 months of nothing then got the call today to work sunday night. And I just had 2 interviews for other jobs and have another job that starts in April.

Wow.
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
preston14 wrote: When I was a term, you got paid because you still worked light duties inside the station sorting the turnaround, final sort or BCS or XX mail. Because assignments were five days minimum, you did the remainder of your assignment inside. Now, if your assignment ended, if your seniority meant people lower than you were working, you still got to work inside doing light duties. Some term LCs stayed on modified duties until they became regular emoloyees!

Now because of PT, many positions that injuried carriers once did are gone. If regular employees now have an unpaid waiting period for short term disability (i.e. we don't get sick days anymore), I don't think you'd be paid.

You might also get interviewed for your injury and the blame put on you; it happens.
No reason to blame the carrier espically if the homeowner confirmed it.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3695 posts
1257 upvotes
GTA
sistereliza wrote: *snip*
Thanks for the help regarding comp time, sister! Another followup question to that. Say I am currently accumulating comp time, will I have to use it up before March 31st, 2013? I believe that's what it says under sap/ess. I just need some confirmation. I rather use it in the summer vs. accumulate it now, then either forced to use it or be paid out before said date. ;)
flea19 wrote: BACK TO WORK!

9 months of nothing then got the call today to work sunday night. And I just had 2 interviews for other jobs and have another job that starts in April.

Wow.
That's good! Lots of transformation going on at twpp/gateway - city finals. Several implementation dates have been announced. ~6 additional stations on Feb 15 + another ~8 on March 15. They're gonna have it all the L+M FSAs for GTA in here. Yikes!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
BeansInMyBindle wrote: Question:

Let's say you have your full-time or part-time status, but you don't bid on any routes because they're all pigs. What happens to you? Do you automatically become a relief LC assigned to a station or what?
You become 'unassigned' and are given assignments wherever you're needed, like a term. Since PT kicked in, LCs that lost walks are in this position. Generally you get longer assignments, like a few weeks or more. This is from what I've seen happen anyway.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

RuralMailGuy, OverallEffective