Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 22, 2012
480 posts
225 upvotes
By the River
I have asked this before, but anyone who lives in Winnipeg (or Montreal/Halifax) and has dealt with postal transformation the longest can tell us how everything is at the depots that would be great. Ottawa has just "gone live" and it is a disaster. Routes are impossible to finish, overtime on majority of routes everyday, mail coming back at 9pm, injuries, very low morale, mail sitting in the depot overnight, and stress leave through the roof. As a temp we get phone calls to come in and work anywhere from 9am-1:30pm. Half routes are taking 8hrs to complete.How is Winnipeg after 2 years? Have the supervisors given in to some things. Do they allow you to sort the sequenced mail into your frame? Has there been any changes since the implementation of "modern post" there? Please tell us there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3235 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
New Hire Starting Wage
wrote:Temporary employees already in the bargaining unit, (i.e. those employees currently covered by the provisions of Article 44) will maintain their current rate of pay as a temporary worker until February 1st, when the base rate increases. If they accept a promotion to a part-time or full-time regular position, they will not receive a cut in pay. So, for example, a temporary employee who accepts a promotion to regular part-time or full-time letter carrier position in March of 2013 will continue to make the same hourly wage and follow the pay increments currently contained in the collective agreement.
*thumbs up*
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thanks jaszy that is a relief. Has anybody in the east-toronto as a letter carrier been called in to work this week?
Oct 22, 2012
16 posts
11 upvotes
jaszy wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 12:25 pm
New Hire Starting Wage

*thumbs up*
See http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/14323/la_id/1.htm

The question is are we deemed to be "Temporary employees already in the bargaining unit, (i.e. those employees currently covered by the provisions of Article 44)" because we are not "indeterminate" or PT or FT. So what happens to us?

"If they accept a promotion to a part-time or full-time regular position, they will not receive a cut in pay. So, for example, a temporary employee who accepts a promotion to regular part-time or full-time letter carrier position in March of 2013 will continue to make the same hourly wage and follow the pay increments currently contained in the collective agreement."

Except why would CPC hire us at the higher wage; why not dismiss us and give newer terms (post Feb 1st 2013) the jobs at the lower wage? So another question is "do terms (who have their 480hrs) hired before Feb 1st 2013 have job security (ie cannot be fired/let go)? Will they continue to make their current wage if they are not indeterminate/PT/FT? Once they do get hired on as indeterminate or PT or FT LCs what wage will they make then?
May 2, 2012
588 posts
209 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
[QUOTE]The question is are we deemed to be "Temporary employees already in the bargaining unit[/QUOTE]

Yes, we are already in the bargaining unit and covered under Article 44 because we are CURRENTLY temporary employees.

[QUOTE]because we are not "indeterminate" or PT or FT. So what happens to us?[/QUOTE]

"Temporary employees already in the bargaining unit, (i.e. those employees currently covered by the provisions of Article 44) will maintain their current rate of pay as a temporary worker until February 1st, when the base rate increases."

"(a) Effective February 1, 2011, 1.75%;

(b) Effective February 1, 2012, 1.5%;

(c) Effective February 1, 2013, 2%; and

(d) Effective February 1, 2014, 2%."

So, it seems as though we would continue making $24.34 until Feb 1, 2013 at which point we would receive a 2% increase and again in 2014.

[QUOTE]Except why would CPC hire us at the higher wage; why not dismiss us and give newer terms (post Feb 1st 2013) the jobs at the lower wage? So another question is "do terms (who have their 480hrs) hired before Feb 1st 2013 have job security (ie cannot be fired/let go)?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone has received a clear answer on this yet. I would think since they have us classified as, "temporary" that they would be within their rights to dismiss current terms as they see necessary and then hire new temps under the new agreement. I think someone received a response from the Metro union rep that basically said current temps and future temps under the proposed agreement have no job security.

[QUOTE]Will they continue to make their current wage if they are not indeterminate/PT/FT?[/QUOTE]

Yes, as described above.

[QUOTE]Once they do get hired on as indeterminate or PT or FT LCs what wage will they make then?[/QUOTE]

"a temporary employee who accepts a promotion to regular part-time or full-time letter carrier position in March of 2013 will continue to make the same hourly wage and follow the pay increments currently contained in the collective agreement."
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4148 posts
1023 upvotes
Winnipeg
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 9:59 am
I have asked this before, but anyone who lives in Winnipeg (or Montreal/Halifax) and has dealt with postal transformation the longest can tell us how everything is at the depots that would be great. Ottawa has just "gone live" and it is a disaster. Routes are impossible to finish, overtime on majority of routes everyday, mail coming back at 9pm, injuries, very low morale, mail sitting in the depot overnight, and stress leave through the roof. As a temp we get phone calls to come in and work anywhere from 9am-1:30pm. Half routes are taking 8hrs to complete.How is Winnipeg after 2 years? Have the supervisors given in to some things. Do they allow you to sort the sequenced mail into your frame? Has there been any changes since the implementation of "modern post" there? Please tell us there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!
Still no light at the end of the tunnel. No sequenced mail allowed in the case. No music on the floor, no bluetooth or headphones, no crossing...etc

When modern post first hit Wpg, some walks didnt go out for days
Mar 22, 2012
480 posts
225 upvotes
By the River
airmail wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 10:55 pm
Still no light at the end of the tunnel. No sequenced mail allowed in the case. No music on the floor, no bluetooth or headphones, no crossing...etc

When modern post first hit Wpg, some walks didnt go out for days
Is everyone finishing their shifts in 8 hrs? Is mail coming back at 9 pm? has anyone been suspended? We are allowed music in the depot at least.
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
69 upvotes
WINNIPEG
On the TEMP side in Winnipeg, it is lots of what you said........calls after 11:00 to go in and get SOME work. I have only been properly scheduled ONCE in the last 12 months. sigh................
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4148 posts
1023 upvotes
Winnipeg
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 11:04 pm
Is everyone finishing their shifts in 8 hrs? Is mail coming back at 9 pm? has anyone been suspended? We are allowed music in the depot at least.
The majority are finishing in 8 hrs...but it has been 2 yrs
Suspensions are handed out like candy.
The music is a bonus
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10488 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
airmail wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2012 11:16 pm
The majority are finishing in 8 hrs...but it has been 2 yrs
Suspensions are handed out like candy.
The music is a bonus
I would presume people are filing a lot more grievences too then?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3235 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 4:24 am
I would presume people are filing a lot more grievences too then?
Ah yes, they keep on piling. We as a group have a couple ongoing now. Union is finally involved and monitoring the situation.
On a plant level, there are sections whereby supv/superintendents are generally lax. Other sections are very pushy-pushy.
The morale is so low in my business centre that people are bidding out en masse to other sections every time there is a monthly bid out (be it temporary-backfill or permanent).
Imagine being staffing/supervisor having to lose 1/3 of your workforce. I WONDER WHY? :facepalm:
Sep 13, 2011
303 posts
105 upvotes
I have been getting mixed messages from CUPW about the contract offer, if they recommend it or not. Lots of these explanations have something like "You decide" at the end. Like this:

The protection of the defined benefit pension plan has the biggest impact on our future once retirement occurs. However, it is up to you to decide.

In solidarity,

Denis Lemelin
National President and Chief Negotiator
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3235 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
I think ultimately the union wants us to votes yes as it is better than the old offer by CPC but in the end, it is our choice.
Either settle for this or bring in an arbitrator, which could potentially be worst than what is on the table.
Jan 24, 2011
133 posts
13 upvotes
hey guys what TYPE of MATH questions are on the GAT? I know there is division, multiplication , decimals, fractions, percentages, etc..

But SPECIFICALLY does anyone remember? I mean is there: long division? mixed fractions/improper fractions? what TYPE of decimals, what TYPE of percentage questions and what TYPE of ALGEBRA? ETC. thanks.
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
69 upvotes
WINNIPEG
vipersrule wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 8:32 pm
hey guys what TYPE of MATH questions are on the GAT? I know there is division, multiplication , decimals, fractions, percentages, etc..

But SPECIFICALLY does anyone remember? I mean is there: long division? mixed fractions/improper fractions? what TYPE of decimals, what TYPE of percentage questions and what TYPE of ALGEBRA? ETC. thanks.
Yes.