Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3354 posts
582 upvotes
GTA
Can someone kindly explain compensatory time off? Planning on converting OT hours to compensatory time.
Is it 1:1, ex: 2 hours OT = 2 hours compensatory OR is it based on the multiplier (1.5 to 2.0 times), ex: 2 hours OT @ 1.5x = 3 hours compensatory.

TIA!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1829 posts
309 upvotes
Hamilton
""15.32 Compensatory Time for Group 2 At the request of an employee, his or her overtime hours may be converted into compensatory time off rather than being paid. Compensatory time off will be granted at the written request of the employee and with the approval of the Corporation, provided service standards are maintained and no overtime payments result from granting such time off. Once the Corporation has approved the leave, it shall not be withdrawn within a five (5) working day period preceding the commencement of the compensatory time off
Compensatory time off not used by the end of the leave year will be carried over into the following leave year and will be granted on the basis of seniority if sufficient time is available in the vacation leave schedule in the following leave year. If not liquidated by the end of that leave year, then payment in cash will be made. However, an employee may request at any time payment in cash in lieu of compensatory time off. The Corporation will provide the local Union representative with the number of hours of all overtime worked in the previous month and an individual employee, upon request, will be provided with a monthly statement of the amount of overtime accrued for liquidation."""

From how I read it, its 1:1,. So if you take it off its str8 time and you loose the monetary value at getting it payed out at 1.5 x.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
jaszy wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 1:51 am
Can someone kindly explain compensatory time off? Planning on converting OT hours to compensatory time.
!

It is based on the multiplier (1.5 to 2.0 times), ex: 2 hours OT @ 1.5x = 3 hours compensatory. With your example and you look at your CT hours on ESS it would show 3 hours banked.
I know whenever I work OT it is automatically put in as CT as I have requested that. I also check ESS to make sure that it has been put in properly whenever I do work OT.
But it is getting harder to get the time off, they like to say no a lot on granting CT since they can.
ART.15 32 that CKG has kindly posted is one that is changed in the new CA. Now you can only carry over up to 5 days worth of CT each March and you have to put it in writing ( not sure when ) if you want to carry it over and if you don't you will automatically be paid out in April.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1829 posts
309 upvotes
Hamilton
ΔΔΔΔΔ Thanks Sistereliza''''my error I brought up the older copy 2007 as it is easier than the draft copy for reading.
With the payout it says with written notice all or some can be payed out at July 1, Oct 1, or Jan 1.
I can't paste it as my draft over won't allow copying.
Curious, where did you get the 1.5 multiplier?
Gotta THE CALL,,,,time to deliver in the rain....woohooo.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 8:40 am
ΔΔΔΔΔ Thanks Sistereliza''''my error I brought up the older copy 2007 as it is easier than the draft copy for reading.
With the payout it says with written notice all or some can be payed out at July 1, Oct 1, or Jan 1.
I can't paste it as my draft over won't allow copying.
Curious, where did you get the 1.5 multiplier?
Gotta THE CALL,,,,time to deliver in the rain....woohooo.
I guess I should not be surprised that you also have the draft version in your black phone as well. When the ART. talks about converting overtime hours it means hours at the overtime rate, either time and half or double.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1829 posts
309 upvotes
Hamilton
^^^^^Thanks good to know.
@@@I think today was far worse than xmas with all the snow storm mail.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
Staffing assigned me on a walk for 3 weeks, but the station staffing SPV called me to come in early to do different walk this week. I heard that this term SPV screwed up on walks, and i feel very upset.I would like to know what r my rights due to his fault.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11611 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
dealcatcher wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 12:58 am
Staffing assigned me on a walk for 3 weeks, but the station staffing SPV called me to come in early to do different walk this week. I heard that this term SPV screwed up on walks, and i feel very upset.I would like to know what r my rights due to his fault.
None.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 12, 2011
139 posts
71 upvotes
Hello,

First off, just want to say thanks for all the information in these posts. This thread has been an extremely valuable resource for a temp like myself. My questions are:

-My hire date has been exactly a year now, but work has been very slow since the fall. Is there a way to check out for sure that nobody is getting calls that have been hired after me? I have a suspicion that is the case.

-Is the HR 1-877 number any help for transfer information? Any transfer related advise would be appreciated.

-Finally, a few pages back someone mentioned to apply for FT even as a temp. Is this recommended? I haven't done this.

Many thanks.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
rangeroad07 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:06 am
Hello,

First off, just want to say thanks for all the information in these posts. This thread has been an extremely valuable resource for a temp like myself. My questions are:

-My hire date has been exactly a year now, but work has been very slow since the fall. Is there a way to check out for sure that nobody is getting calls that have been hired after me? I have a suspicion that is the case.

-Is the HR 1-877 number any help for transfer information? Any transfer related advise would be appreciated.

-Finally, a few pages back someone mentioned to apply for FT even as a temp. Is this recommended? I haven't done this.

Many thanks.
Check out page 288 here, there are many comments on filling out a transfer form. If you do not fill one out you will never get permanent, either full or part time.Your staffing person or sup should have these forms.

If you think people with less seniority are working ask your staffing person if there is someone working that you can bump, not sure if your local would have that info.
Maybe ones who are temps would have other ideas.
Jan 24, 2013
80 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond
You could only apply for FT if you wanted too but keep in mind if there is a FT vacancy it will be filled first by a FT wishing to transfer in from elsewhere and/or PT who have applied to go full time, all by seniority..so you might have a very long wait.

So...it would be most beneficial for you to apply for everything...PT FT MSC LC clerk po4 p05 ... everything.

If you had only applied for FT and another term junior to you gets that PT position because you never applied for it...that person will get the FT position before you when it comes up.

The key is to get 'indeterminate' (permanent) status as soon as you can.

So my advice would be to apply for everything, once you have your permanent status then you truly will have your 'foot in the door' as a permanent employee with the right to bid on whatever you want to.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11611 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
Utmost12x2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 2:24 pm
So my advice would be to apply for everything, once you have your permanent status then you truly will have your 'foot in the door' as a permanent employee with the right to bid on whatever you want to.
Good advice.

Just a question on the bolded part. Can a PT employee bid on a FT route? I've seen some routes that are complete dogs and nobody bids on them, if this is allowed and a PT won the bid, would they automatically become FT or still be PT, but just getting 40hrs?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 24, 2013
80 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 2:32 pm
Good advice.

Just a question on the bolded part. Can a PT employee bid on a FT route? I've seen some routes that are complete dogs and nobody bids on them, if this is allowed and a PT won the bid, would they automatically become FT or still be PT, but just getting 40hrs?
Nope.
But if no one bids on the route on the monthly bid listings the corp should be posting it for long term coverage which a PT could get and they would end up covering the route untill such time as someone does bid on it. But they would remain PT covering a FT vacant route

Just because a route is vacant doesn't mean there is a FT vacancy.

If there was a full time vacancy and a PT is promoted to full time, they could then be assigned to that 'dog' route until such time as they bid on their own position. They would have FT status inthat case.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
CouponKindaGuy wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 2:47 pm
Utmost12x2. Excellent advice!!!!

Now ive got a qood question:
If say someone has gotten past the probation time of 480 hrs because of non bargaining unit continious service within the last 6 months would this help with ranking or bidding in anyway?
Does it have an advantage in anyway? Or just woohoo one can order a uniform now?
Not sure what you mean by non bargaining unit. If they weren't paying CUPW dues and were doing something else for CP it might hurt and would definitely not help. Check that black phone with the little blue book ( gotta love that)
Look at Art.11:03 and Art.11:07
Reaching 480 really just means as you said woohoo you get a uniform.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1829 posts
309 upvotes
Hamilton
^^^Thanks again. After reading what I posted, I checked my tab with the bigger copy of the blue book and kinda figured, woohooo one can order a uniform.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Otrosky101