Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
On Monday my hours started from 6:40 and I didn't finish until 8:15pm. I was talking to a full-time and they said that staffing is having a hard time getting new temps to come in they had called more than 25 and nobody answered the phone. Working these hours is long and draining on your body.

Anybody have suggestion on a pair of gloves that keep your hands warm?
Mar 22, 2012
606 posts
334 upvotes
By the River
Hugh Jass wrote: Good.

It's getting ridiculous now. Last Tuesday and Friday and then again today. Too much.

One supervisor I talked to yesterday says he heard there's gonna be a hiring push very soon in GTA and until then it'll be tough. It's weird coz before Christmas this wasn't a problem at all. Problem seems to be people out with injuries etc.
Said the same thing in Ottawa in the fall....mass hiring. Not as bad as last year, but still unacceptable. Not even worth the trouble @ $19hr getting thrown into PT during the winter. Some have quit during a shift here. It was hard enough trying to break in under the old system, can't knock them for leaving under this one.
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
totally agree with you hugh jass, who wants to be out there at $19 hour in the cold and dark.
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
bit of a conundrum for cpc wouldn t you think ? hire more to do the the job, reduce the individual workload, the work gets done in time, less overtime, less wear and tear on the body, an emotionally happier workforce, less on the job injuries- a few more employed for government stats....jeeze, what is it that we are missing here ?
Mar 22, 2012
606 posts
334 upvotes
By the River
laszlozoltan wrote: bit of a conundrum for cpc wouldn t you think ? hire more to do the the job, reduce the individual workload, the work gets done in time, less overtime, less wear and tear on the body, an emotionally happier workforce, less on the job injuries- a few more employed for government stats....jeeze, what is it that we are missing here ?
Deepak trying to run a business, instead of a service.
Mar 13, 2010
304 posts
27 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: That's not the problem at all. I'd guarantee you that there'd still be thousands of applications if the position went up online.

I think they dont want to hire a bunch of people, knowing full well that they wont be needed in the future.
sure they will hv thousand applicants, but after a writing test, interview, driving test and a body checkup. it will probably left like 10%
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
laszlozoltan wrote: bit of a conundrum for cpc wouldn t you think ? hire more to do the the job, reduce the individual workload, the work gets done in time, less overtime, less wear and tear on the body, an emotionally happier workforce, less on the job injuries- a few more employed for government stats....jeeze, what is it that we are missing here ?
Sounds like the pre PT days
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
ivylai wrote: sure they will hv thousand applicants, but after a writing test, interview, driving test and a body checkup. it will probably left like 10%
Perfect then ;)
Jan 28, 2014
7 posts
ETOBICOKE
Hi, Can somebody tell how it is working as a postal mechanic with Canada post. I got a letter for fingerprints. how this process work?
thanks in advance.
Sep 13, 2011
304 posts
106 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: $19, I believe there's a raise every year to bring it to current LC rates of about $24.

60+

First off they hire temporary staff ( referred to as 'terms') with no guarantee of hours, then you apply for permanent part-time, then full-time.
My wife went directly from term to full-time LC, and skipped the PT. Having said that, looking back it would have been far wiser to put in for both perm PT and perm FT, since perm PT staff gets offered hours before terms do and you can still go to FT after that.

As far as timeline, for her it was just under 2 years. She could have went at the 1 year mark but didn't have papers in. People with less senority were called up in that time.

Part of the reason why it took this long was because there were a few (2 or 3 I think) term LC's with more senority who actually were from Winnipeg living here temporarily until they were made permanent, and then put in tranfers back to Winnipeg. Far as I know though, they are still here waiting for a transfer last I heard, even though they were made perm.

So I suggest if you can do it, consider a transfer to a city with a faster perm list. Although that point may be rather moot now that Chopra is on a mission to destroy Canada Post and make it Pitney Bowes new little ***** .
Sep 13, 2011
304 posts
106 upvotes
ivylai wrote: many people get those from community mail box
But lots of businesses (such as the one I work at) still recieve their revenue in form of cheques. My companies monthly gross revenue is north of 7 figures. My companies monthly expenditures is also 7 figures. In other words, crappy profit margins (whole other thread). I shudder at thinking of leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars laying in a CMB wondering what time the mail is going to arrive today, if at all. It's bad enough getting paid from customers at 30-60 days, losing a handful of cheques in one act of vandalism and theft would cripple me trying to figure out who chques were in there, cancelling them and requesting a second payment.

And yes, I wrote my MP and Harper.
Sep 13, 2011
304 posts
106 upvotes
Regarding forcebacks due to staffing shortage/massive injuries, ect.:

Funny how this has all occured immediately post-Postal Transformation. During a time of cutbacks, seems like they are spending more than ever with OT, injury management, WCB costs, ect, ect.

At what point does the Federal Gov't take Chopra out behind the woodshed? The evidence that this is a failure is no longer just circumstantial.

How was the bottom line when Letter Carriers sorted and tied out their own mail, jumped in their own car becuase they didn't want to use a Canada Post supplied taxi, deliver the mail in under 4-5 hours, and do it all the next day? And that was inefficient? Seems to me going all in trying to fix something that wasn't broken, has crippled this company, outright caused grief and distress amongst Canadians, and generally just screwed up things so bad. The goal is so blurry now on what they are trying to do.
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
Canuck000 wrote: But lots of businesses (such as the one I work at) still recieve their revenue in form of cheques. My companies monthly gross revenue is north of 7 figures. My companies monthly expenditures is also 7 figures. In other words, crappy profit margins (whole other thread). I shudder at thinking of leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars laying in a CMB wondering what time the mail is going to arrive today, if at all. It's bad enough getting paid from customers at 30-60 days, losing a handful of cheques in one act of vandalism and theft would cripple me trying to figure out who chques were in there, cancelling them and requesting a second payment.

And yes, I wrote my MP and Harper.
seriously appreciate your point of view on this- thx
Jan 28, 2014
3 posts
I have done the General Abilities test and the interview for Canada Post. Now I have the physical abilities test coming up. They were a little unclear in the email regarding the process to this point. If I am doing the physical test does that mean that I have the position on the condition that I pass the test?
Sep 2, 2011
283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
SteveL528 wrote: I have done the General Abilities test and the interview for Canada Post. Now I have the physical abilities test coming up. They were a little unclear in the email regarding the process to this point. If I am doing the physical test does that mean that I have the position on the condition that I pass the test?
You will also have to pass drving test if you applied for a letter carrier position
Sep 2, 2011
283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Question: in case there are OT splits available who gets priority in getting them, PT or FT LC's? I am not talking about forcebacks
Mar 13, 2010
304 posts
27 upvotes
exMOHAX wrote: Question: in case there are OT splits available who gets priority in getting them, PT or FT LC's? I am not talking about forcebacks
part time extend to 8 hrs then ft.
but some station hv some different rule than other. like pt lc in wave 3 cant do ot from wave 1 and 2 cause they start late.
Jul 14, 2013
171 posts
99 upvotes
Love the cat vs mailman vid! I have a nasty dog on the other side of a slot on the route I'm covering this week. I've been using the mail to open the slot and the moment the mail starts to go through the dog grabs it. Pretty sure it's shredded by the time the home owner gets home. If they had a storm door I wouldn't even bother with the slot!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

tarjet