Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
As a full timer i see on my May 8th stub I have paid as you state 385.47 for 5 months dues. I guess you have to contact your local as to the why and how to get the rebate.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
sistereliza wrote: As a full timer i see on my May 8th stub I have paid as you state 385.47 for 5 months dues. I guess you have to contact your local as to the why and how to get the rebate.
Our Local Union has yet to come clean as to the over charge. Then why would they with that kind of dollars. That's the reason I went to Ess. I hope you have better luck with yours.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3694 posts
1257 upvotes
GTA
sistereliza wrote: I think mine is OK.
Mine is the same.

EDIT: GTWY taking in TRANSFERS again after our massive sectional bids. 12 FT, 50 PT. One PT apparently has over 25 years seniority (lol). Not sure if s/he demoted himself but holy smokes, that's a lot of years under the belt.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
sistereliza wrote: I think mine is OK.
It can't be right because we have only gone through 4 months as far as pay months are concerned. If we all contact your Union Rep or Ess things will get handled much sooner.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
The $385.47 is for 5 months dues. I have already paid for the whole month of May.
Jan 75.87
Feb77.40
Mar.77.40
April 77.40
May 77.40

If they took off dues 2 pays in March for you I would think it is because you owed it for Jan or Feb. As long if the total is close to the 385.47 you have paid 5 months dues
Others might have different amounts paid due to a added local assessment.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
sistereliza wrote: The $385.47 is for 5 months dues. I have already paid for the whole month of May.
Jan 75.87
Feb77.40
Mar.77.40
April 77.40
May 77.40

If they took off dues 2 pays in March for you I would think it is because you owed it for Jan or Feb. As long if the total is close to the 385.47 you have paid 5 months dues
Others might have different amounts paid due to a added local assessment.
May Union dues are not due till May pay week. We just paid Union dues for The month of April. Everyone the same as far as Union dues go. I've paid the exact amount as full timers year to date. Union dues are never collected prior to the month they are due.

Now if the Union decide not to charge us for Union dues for May pay period (which will be for the next two pay periods) then we would be up to date. But for sure we will get deducted the Union dues next pay for May.

Sisterlisa, are you a Union Rep? Just wondering.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I think you need to re read the link I posted.

I read it as the May dues are taken off in the first pay in May for all employees. Even though Temps and Part timers are getting paid for April they are paying May dues the first pay in May.
If you do not work one day in May then you go to your union rep at the end of May tell them you have over paid dues for that month.

You must remember that union reps are just volunteers. It does not mean they know all. Anyone one can be a union rep even a temp. A rep is someone who is trying to help his fellow worker understand the collective agreement and make sure the employer is following the collective agreement.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
sistereliza wrote: I think you need to re read the link I posted.

I read it as the May dues are taken off in the first pay in May for all employees. Even though Temps and Part timers are getting paid for April they are paying May dues the first pay in May.
If you do not work one day in May then you go to your union rep at the end of May tell them you have over paid dues for that month.

You must remember that union reps are just volunteers. It does not mean they know all. Anyone one can be a union rep even a temp. A rep is someone who is trying to help his fellow worker understand the collective agreement and make sure the employer is following the collective agreement.
I guess the answer to my question is , your a union Rep. That's good to know really.

In reading your link, the Union can collect dues late in the month they are due, but never in advance. To play devils advocate, if they collected March 29th dues for April, for whatever reason, the they should of waited till the first pay week in May to collect Mays dues. Not collect again in April.

The more I think about it the more I think a fast one is being played.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Not sure why you think a fast one is being played. You have paid 5 months of dues in 5 months.
Your May 8th pay had a dues deduction for the month of May, right?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
golfhead4 wrote: I guess the answer to my question is , your a union Rep. That's good to know really.

In reading your link, the Union can collect dues late in the month they are due, but never in advance. To play devils advocate, if they collected March 29th dues for April, for whatever reason, the they should of waited till the first pay week in May to collect Mays dues. Not collect again in April.

The more I think about it the more I think a fast one is being played.
Does it matter though if by year end, you Pay what you should? Why not worry about the details when it's said and done rather than every pay?
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
pike18 wrote: Does it matter though if by year end, you Pay what you should? Why not worry about the details when it's said and done rather than every pay?
Well Pike18, I would personal prefer things to be in order on a monthly basis. I would hate for CP to miss a week of work, and then say we will make it up by year end. And then the next month they say the same thing. Just can't budget on those terms. This situation can be handled quickly without much fanfare.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I understand that they took off dues at the beginning and the end of March which might not sound right but when else did you pay dues this year?
Has it been more than 3 other times? It should be a total of 5 times including May 8's pay.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
sistereliza wrote: I understand that they took off dues at the beginning and the end of March which might not sound right but when else did you pay dues this year?
Has it been more than 3 other times? It should be a total of 5 times including May 8's pay.
I personally paid dues every month this year so far. And just to let you know that May 8th is our payment date for Aprils pay week. We have not gotten to Mays pay week. So therefore no Union dues are due for May.

It seems your having a problem understanding this. Pay week number 10 or 11 on your pay stub, will be the time they deduct dues for May? Because, we are getting paid for work done in that month. It's that simple. I hope you understand now.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
golfhead4 wrote: Well Pike18, I would personal prefer things to be in order on a monthly basis. I would hate for CP to miss a week of work, and then say we will make it up by year end. And then the next month they say the same thing. Just can't budget on those terms. This situation can be handled quickly without much fanfare.
I agree, except it seems that there is a grey area which allows for a little discretion as to when these dues are applied. So unless there is a month stretch without hours, I'm not overly concerned about it. I don't really buy the conspiracy theory myself.

The comparison to work hours doesn't really seem applicable because there isn't a set yearly amount being divided by months which were worked.

Good luck in your battle though, we all have to keep busy in the slow times.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
The best way for a temporary employee to determine if they have overpaid union dues is the use the Year-To-Date (YTD) total on their paystub. Divide the YTD total by the dollar amount of union due[[BUnion dues can be particularly difficult to understand for temporary workers due to the timing of dues deductions.Theoretically, the date of the paycheque for the deduction is the same for all workers. In other words, October dues should be deducted for ALL employees on October 10, 2013. The dates you are being paid for, for the most part (see next paragraph), are irrelevant for this deduction.

Temporary and part-time workers are paid two weeks in arrears and full-time employees are paid current. So, when deciding if you have been over-deducted union dues you should only concern yourself with the date of the cheque or the Pay Period (PP) number. Both of these items are just to the left of the pay dates on your paycheque.

The above is from the link I posted earlier.
From that I read it that you are paying dues for May in May event though your pay cheque is for hours worked in April. At least that is how i understand what they are saying.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
Sisterelisa, I think for yourself, since your full time your dues may be current. It looks like for Partime and Temps ,we are not paid yet for May, but full timers were. But since our pay stubs show the exact union dues collected, you are up todate and we are over charged. According to your link. Just check your upcoming pay stub for verification . The rest of us have to get our money back or a differal of dues. Pretty simple.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
golfhead4 wrote: Sisterelisa, I think for yourself, since your full time your dues may be current. It looks like for Partime and Temps ,we are not paid yet for May, but full timers were. But since our pay stubs show the exact union dues collected, you are up todate and we are over charged. According to your link. Just check your upcoming pay stub for verification . The rest of us have to get our money back or a differal of dues. Pretty simple.
I think the whole idea is that there is expected to be some flexibility on our end as to when the dues are exactly paid because our pay is so volatile. If there is a pay period in April which could be used for May's dues, than they're within their rights to charge it. If for some reason you don't work in may, then you would be eligible to have it reimbursed.

I would probably give it a month to work itself out and if it continues to be an extra deduction month to month, address it then.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16185 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
First day of work back from the weekend was terrible! PDTs/DIA or whatever were down all day. Was it just me or did anybody get that as well? I had like 4+ pages of IDB sheets by days end.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Apr 24, 2014
11 posts
1 upvote
Whitby
I just completed my training/orientation on thursday-friday of last week and was wondering if there is a delay on when you receive your first paycheck? I always hear of horror stories where it takes upwards to a month to receive it since it takes so long to get everything into the system (for what it's worth I had all my banking info submitted the same day). Also the trainers never really told us how we accept shifts as an On-Call employ, I asked some part timers while doing the training and from what they remembered it was at most a 10 minute window to call back and pray they still have room, is that the case?