Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sep 2, 2011
275 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
I am not sure... Can anybody answer this? Is Central part of C&D West?
Sep 2, 2011
275 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
sistereliza wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 4:31 pm
Just curious, can you be called in to work in all these offices , now as a temp?
Well, there are 4 different lists (East and West C&D, Gateway and SouthCentral) and you can only be on one of them as a temp. So someone working in West C&D can't work at South Central, etc.

I am not sure where Central stands... Never spoke to anyone working there
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
I was wondering since everyone is talking about transferring or changing locations, as a Temp po4, what location would be best for getting work. I have worked at South Central, and got transferred as a Christmas Casual to Gateway list. The kicker is I live in Oshawa, but I dont mind the travel. I just want the work. Any comments would be helpful. What do you think?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3353 posts
568 upvotes
GTA
golfhead4 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2013 4:18 pm
I was wondering since everyone is talking about transferring or changing locations, as a Temp po4, what location would be best for getting work. I have worked at South Central, and got transferred as a Christmas Casual to Gateway list. The kicker is I live in Oshawa, but I dont mind the travel. I just want the work. Any comments would be helpful. What do you think?
I can only comment on trends that I've been noticing at south central and gateway:

south central - Midnight shift casuals getting called often (3-4 times a week - minimum 5hr shift). Afternoon and day shift casuals rarely, mostly a 1-2 shifts during the weekend.

gateway - C&D/City final casuals getting called 5x a week (midnight and afternoon) minimum 25-28 hours. I don't know if these guys are 'regular casuals' or still on a contract basis. Regular Midnight shift casuals are always being assigned at mech s/l (mlocr) getting called 40 hours/week as of late. Afternoon and day shift casuals rarely, maybe 2-3x a week. Perhaps day shift casuals getting more hours than afternoon shift casuals.

Kind of slow at the moment in terms of volume. Lots of people on annual leave though.

golfhead4, are you "benched" at city finals - gateway?

==

To anyone planning on submitting a transfer form. Make sure that you receive a copy of the filled transfer form. It will be mailed to you by HR (or PC&R?). This is your copy and confirms that the transfer form has been accepted and inputted into the system.

Otherwise, submit another transfer form in a couple weeks time. You never know...
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
jaszy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2013 5:04 pm
I can only comment on trends that I've been noticing at south central and gateway:

south central - Midnight shift casuals getting called often (3-4 times a week - minimum 5hr shift). Afternoon and day shift casuals rarely, mostly a 1-2 shifts during the weekend.

gateway - C&D/City final casuals getting called 5x a week (midnight and afternoon) minimum 25-28 hours. I don't know if these guys are 'regular casuals' or still on a contract basis. Regular Midnight shift casuals are always being assigned at mech s/l (mlocr) getting called 40 hours/week as of late. Afternoon and day shift casuals rarely, maybe 2-3x a week. Perhaps day shift casuals getting more hours than afternoon shift casuals.

Kind of slow at the moment in terms of volume. Lots of people on annual leave though.

golfhead4, are you "benched" at city finals - gateway?

==

To anyone planning on submitting a transfer form. Make sure that you receive a copy of the filled transfer form. It will be mailed to you by HR (or PC&R?). This is your copy and confirms that the transfer form has been accepted and inputted into the system.

Otherwise, submit another transfer form in a couple weeks time. You never know...
Currently, our whole group are benched. Last year it lasted till October before most of us got called back. I have a tranfer form, and im just waiting to see what happens over the next month. Yes from city finals Gateway! Im thinking my senority will be better placed at South Central since they hired so many casuals since 2011. What do you think?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3353 posts
568 upvotes
GTA
golfhead4 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2013 6:37 pm
Currently, our whole group are benched. Last year it lasted till October before most of us got called back. I have a tranfer form, and im just waiting to see what happens over the next month. Yes from city finals Gateway! Im thinking my senority will be better placed at South Central since they hired so many casuals since 2011. What do you think?
I can't really give you a straight answer. I mean, most of the people working at City Finals are casuals, right? I suspect they are just filling up positions until they open it up other perm PT and FT LCs and PO4s coming from outside. OR maybe it is cheaper for the corporation to have casuals in vs those who are perm so the hours will continue? You may not be called in until possibly late fall to Christmas when they really need the people. How is/are the other casual group(s) doing in City Finals? Solid hours?

Did they really hire many casuals since 2011? I am not aware of that. Where was this? At South? ... Cause I was still at South about a year and a half ago and only saw new christmas casuals hired on a contract basis.

So uh...I think you may have a better chance getting hours either at South or Gateway vs. where you are at now in City Finals (AFAIK, still C&D). No plans going LC?

A little bit of news: Two PT PO4s just went FT here in Gateway. One from Gateway, the other from Metro West. Seniority? 1985 and 1986. :| Others with roughly the same senority also transferred in, all from outside (mainly FT LCs from Metro West). Tis a long wait, boys and girls.
Sep 2, 2011
275 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
OMG 1985, eh? I guess I'll get my part-time status around 2030.

By the way, there are less and less casuals in City Finals, and the hours have been cut as well...
Sep 2, 2011
275 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Jaszy, how does one become an LC? I am currently a PO4 (term), and sent several requests to the Union following their instructions, have been trying to follow up for the last 8-9 months without any response. Is there another route?

I appreciate the Union, but find communication with them extremely frustrating.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11578 posts
2982 upvotes
GTA
exMOHAX wrote:
Jul 13th, 2013 12:34 am
Jaszy, how does one become an LC? I am currently a PO4 (term), and sent several requests to the Union following their instructions, have been trying to follow up for the last 8-9 months without any response. Is there another route?

Don't.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
ask a supervisor for the transfer form and maybe a bit of help filling it out- some are better than others, some will help you more others wont you have to know who.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
There is a group that are getting pretty much steady hours as casuals at Gateway. Im sure there will be work but I dont know when. South Central I heard are going on a hiring spree soon. (like a month). If you work for South Central, what are the depots that are in the same list?

I really dont know how many they kept as casuals since 2011, but I expect that there would be more work for a permanant casual.

I would be happy with partime status and I think that would be at South Central than Gateway.

Doesnt Cp have a policy of offering casuals partime status at some time during the year?

Does anyone from South Central have any insight?
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
exMOHAX wrote:
Jul 13th, 2013 12:34 am

Dont bother with the Union!! They are useless!! They create more problems than fix. Go to staffing, or HR and request directly that you wish to become a letter carrier. A friend of mine did that, and he was running letters in a couple of weeks.
Dec 7, 2012
70 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
In Toronto, its going to be hard for terms because CP is over complement. There are too many surplus LCs after PT was implemented. The last terms who went directly from term to FT LC was in April 2012. Since then, no one has moved. Only FT LCs who demoted themselves to PT PO4 in plants back in March '13 and casual P04s who became PT PO4 in March '12.

There are many regular (FT/PT) employees in line for FT LC in the Toronto and Scarborough locals.
Just be patient, in '06 it only took a year to go from term to FT. Things will get better once the amount of employees that retire is greater than the number of positions deleted.
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
Po4 better shot at Gateway or South Central? i heard Gateway is the busiest?