Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 12, 2011
140 posts
71 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: lol, more than 3 sets of flyers. I have had more than 10 a day for weeks. About 15 sets for tomorrow (doing as 1/3rds).
And are you manage to do them all via double-bundle?

wow.
Jun 25, 2013
68 posts
22 upvotes
so….i'm sure you've all heard about this by now.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10 ... _wash.html

i honestly can't say that the thought to do this hasn't crossed my mind. especially lately! i just finished up two sets of admail bags, and now i've got another set of bags and crappy tire flyers for tomorrow ON TOP of all the other flyers! dios mio!!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote: so….i'm sure you've all heard about this by now.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10 ... _wash.html

i honestly can't say that the thought to do this hasn't crossed my mind. especially lately! i just finished up two sets of admail bags, and now i've got another set of bags and crappy tire flyers for tomorrow ON TOP of all the other flyers! dios mio!!
Wow. I just burn them ;)

One guy I trained with never did his HH. In the old system, he used to just keep them in his car but when we went pt, he used to smuggle them out in his lunchbox. He was fired eventually, we all knew why but he said he quit.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
exMOHAX wrote: Was delivering in Oakville again today, and there were streets where EVERY single house was receiving a scannable package. Turns out it was CMB keys. LOL, imagine delivering a scannable item to every house on the walk
Weren't LCs supposed to get 10 days to deliver these?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
AzN_RiverdaleC wrote:
I personally use the back2back method that I learned here from hugh which I believe he learned from someone else. It is the best! The key is small bundles. I don't advertise it because it feels like a special senior trick.
I don't think I was ever actually taught a way to do this. I always felt like the back to back method was as natural as it could be with two bundles. Depends on the walk, but if it's a straight forward suburb walk, I really see no need in casing sequenced.
Sep 2, 2011
283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
pike18 wrote: Weren't LCs supposed to get 10 days to deliver these?
Yea, it was one street only (about 30 houses). So tomorrow back to the same
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Hugh Jass wrote: One guy I trained with never did his HH. In the old system, he used to just keep them in his car but when we went pt, he used to smuggle them out in his lunchbox. He was fired eventually, we all knew why but he said he quit.
+1. Once the new system hit my buddy had like 12 sets of flyers and he was like "F this" and didn't touch em, by Wednesday his bunkers and overflow bunkers were overflowing so supervisor spoke to him and he said flyers are stupid, he took a binny, dumped all the flyers in the binny and took them out to the garbage bin outside and just dumped them there. Supervisor was like "wtf" so my buddy gave the 1 finger salute and never showed up for work Thursday and ever again. I was lucky, he had 12 sets and I had 5 sets for some reason.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Sep 2, 2011
283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: +1. Once the new system hit my buddy had like 12 sets of flyers and he was like "F this" and didn't touch em, by Wednesday his bunkers and overflow bunkers were overflowing so supervisor spoke to him and he said flyers are stupid, he took a binny, dumped all the flyers in the binny and took them out to the garbage bin outside and just dumped them there. Supervisor was like "wtf" so my buddy gave the 1 finger salute and never showed up for work Thursday and ever again. I was lucky, he had 12 sets and I had 5 sets for some reason.
my biggest one was 17 sets on a CMB walk (around 1100 POc's), Average weekly was 14-15 sets. Took me 1.5 hours to prepare them every day (around 350 POC's if you do it in thirds)
Feb 9, 2010
15 posts
3 upvotes
Hey guys, I was thinking about applying for the Temp Postal Clerk position at Richmond BC, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer.
1. Where exactly will I be working? Job page says Plant Operations, so I'm assuming it will be the Canada Post location that's supposedly near YVR Airport?
2. What kind if hours should I be expected to work? ie. morning, evenings, graveyard approximately 8 hours each day?
3. As it is an "on-call" position, would I be expected to show up for work as soon as I am called? (I live about an hour transit ride from the airport)
Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
exMOHAX wrote: my biggest one was 17 sets on a CMB walk (around 1100 POc's), Average weekly was 14-15 sets. Took me 1.5 hours to prepare them every day (around 350 POC's if you do it in thirds)
Originally they were going to invest in flyer collating machines, but instead they bought letter mail sequencers
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: Not sure where, but I think I read somewhere someone said that a wave 1 starts @ 10am?? Isn't 10am like a wave 2? and afternoons wave 3?

Also, I thought everywhere was PT and now we are slowly transitioning to CMB? There are still places that have the old system? I forgot all about the old system /w the bags and relay boxes.
BC is just now transitioning to PT. The last depot to become PT is happening August 2015 and people are scrambling to bid on vacant routes there to buy a little time. Not realising some of those routes have 60-80 parcels on Mondays (mobiles) while some foot walks have 1100-1400 calls.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
airmail wrote: Originally they were going to invest in flyer collating machines, but instead they bought letter mail sequencers
They tried collating machines..... surprise, surprise, they didn't work. At least in this case, they at least realized it before they bought 50 of them.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
rangeroad07 wrote: And are you manage to do them all via double-bundle?

wow.
I sort them all into my case and pull them with the manually sorted mail... In order to do it this way, your case strips have to be 100% accurate as to who doesn't want flyers. Pull in smaller bundles....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
exMOHAX wrote: my biggest one was 17 sets on a CMB walk (around 1100 POc's), Average weekly was 14-15 sets. Took me 1.5 hours to prepare them every day (around 350 POC's if you do it in thirds)
Most I had was about 25 sets for one day (doing 1/3rd of route system). By this, I also mean FULL sets, not a route with 10 businesses and not a set being a "business only" flyer. A lot of us wanted to pack it in that week.....
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
timetotellthetruth wrote: They tried collating machines..... surprise, surprise, they didn't work. At least in this case, they at least realized it before they bought 50 of them.
They would probably work if Cpc enforced the mail guidelines
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
airmail wrote: They would probably work if Cpc enforced the mail guidelines
Those machines were designed in Denmark and cost upwards of 6 figures $$. CPC did try them but like most people already mentioned, they don't work because the flyers have to be a certain thickness, texture, etc etc otherwise they will jam the machine.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1248 posts
90 upvotes
Nowhere
pike18 wrote: Depends on the walk, but if it's a straight forward suburb walk, I really see no need in casing sequenced.
It allows for criss-cross on light mail days which can save kilometres of walking once or twice a week also easier removal of dead walks. At least some of you guys are allowed the option. We get written up with threats of dismissal as soon as sequenced mail is seen anywhere near the case. I'm not saying I'd do it every day or even would want to but at least I'd like to have the option of putting some of it up on certain days if I so desire.
Just a count of hands... err +1's...
How many of you are at depots that allow casing of sequenced mail?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2497 upvotes
at the chiropractors
kev* wrote: It allows for criss-cross on light mail days which can save kilometres of walking once or twice a week also easier removal of dead walks. At least some of you guys are allowed the option. We get written up with threats of dismissal as soon as sequenced mail is seen anywhere near the case. I'm not saying I'd do it every day or even would want to but at least I'd like to have the option of putting some of it up on certain days if I so desire.
Just a count of hands... err +1's...
How many of you are at depots that allow casing of sequenced mail?
not allowed at our depot. We have one sup in particular that loves to look for anything that he/she can to get people in trouble for. I do have friends at other depots in my city that say that their supervisors don't care, and that it is done. I agree with pike though. I find sorting in your sequenced mail is a colossal waste of time. As for being able to take out dead walks etc.... after 1 day on my new route, I was already pulling my manual sort different than the chart, and I would just take out the respective mail out of my sequenced trays as I am out on my route. After you do it a few times, you know where to look in your sequenced trays, and it isn't a bother at all.....
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1248 posts
90 upvotes
Nowhere
timetotellthetruth wrote: I find sorting in your sequenced mail is a colossal waste of time. As for being able to take out dead walks etc.... after 1 day on my new route, I was already pulling my manual sort different than the chart, and I would just take out the respective mail out of my sequenced trays as I am out on my route. After you do it a few times, you know where to look in your sequenced trays, and it isn't a bother at all.....
I get this and I do this daily but there is no efficient way of criss-crossing with sequenced unless the loop is setup as a horseshoe and you can merge the bundles then pull from front and back.
Our depot has also threatened to ban any mail-manipulation / bundling at the end of isle carts which would push all organization out to the running vehicle (colossal waste of fuel in my opinion)
Another benefit would be merging and bundling your mobile businesses so they are grab-and-go since the sorting machine is incapable of putting breaker cards between each address.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
kev* wrote: How many of you are at depots that allow casing of sequenced mail?
Most stations turn a blind eye to it, while others openly allow it, esp ones that are walking routes only.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

dilbertojonesy, timetotellthetruth