Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Rw7777 wrote: Thanks for the heads up Hugh,I am in the last stage in my hiring.Passed all the necessary testing already.Just waiting for Documentation day.I will keep my current job.I already told my current boss I will be going on call /weekends if needed so at least I won't be running in the lost woods.

Good strategy. I've talked to a lot of temps recently, hungry to find answers. Most have been working away but one guy said there was a period of 8 months he never got a call, then one day out of the blue they called and said "go to xyz station", he had already got another job 6 months before. No way of knowing if/when they'll call. It's a crappy way to live but you have to have a backup plan.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 7, 2011
109 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
thecrw123 wrote: well my resting heart rate is in the mid 70's, and i was so nervous it went just over a 100 resting at the test before i even did anything. i was right though, my results seem to have stumped the computers as the physio place called me today and want to re-test me because of inconsistencies in my first test, (ie. my heart rate going down during the actual exercises). so back i go on monday. just checked twice as i typed. my resting heart rate was 75 bpm both times. so my nervousness added 35 extra beats at the test.

Hey bud,

The same thing happened to me with my heart rate prior to the test. When doing the test, try to hype yourself into thinking that YOU are demonstrating to the examiner each phase of the test. This should help keep your HR at bay.

Also, while performing the push/pull exercise do not exert too much pressure as I remember you saying that you registered 300lbs. of pressure doing the test. Doing so I can guarantee that your cardiac output will elevate, which they also monitor on the computer. Remember the test is also to measure consistency so it will be much hard to consistently match 300lbs. to say a quarter of that. Test are meant to simulate everyday tasks. IE pushing/pulling cart, opening and closing a delivery truck roll up door.

Before you do the step test, be sure not to rush yourself with the weighted post satchel walk. This test isn't timed and you should have your HR well under control. Remember CP is not looking for Olympic caliber athletes.

While I don't agree with the delivery of the test (HR), we must all pass it to be considered for the next stage.

Good luck and let us all know of your pass!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
thecrw123 wrote: well my resting heart rate is in the mid 70's, and i was so nervous it went just over a 100 resting at the test before i even did anything. i was right though, my results seem to have stumped the computers as the physio place called me today and want to re-test me because of inconsistencies in my first test, (ie. my heart rate going down during the actual exercises). so back i go on monday. just checked twice as i typed. my resting heart rate was 75 bpm both times. so my nervousness added 35 extra beats at the test.
is math proficiency one of the prerequisites? ;)
Sep 25, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
SURREY
eldiablo wrote: is math proficiency one of the prerequisites? ;)

it was 110 (just over the limit to start of 100). my resting rate yesterday was 75. 110-75=35.
Sep 25, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
SURREY
Insomniac1 wrote: Hey bud,

The same thing happened to me with my heart rate prior to the test. When doing the test, try to hype yourself into thinking that YOU are demonstrating to the examiner each phase of the test. This should help keep your HR at bay.

Also, while performing the push/pull exercise do not exert too much pressure as I remember you saying that you registered 300lbs. of pressure doing the test. Doing so I can guarantee that your cardiac output will elevate, which they also monitor on the computer. Remember the test is also to measure consistency so it will be much hard to consistently match 300lbs. to say a quarter of that. Test are meant to simulate everyday tasks. IE pushing/pulling cart, opening and closing a delivery truck roll up door.

Before you do the step test, be sure not to rush yourself with the weighted post satchel walk. This test isn't timed and you should have your HR well under control. Remember CP is not looking for Olympic caliber athletes.

While I don't agree with the delivery of the test (HR), we must all pass it to be considered for the next stage.

Good luck and let us all know of your pass!
the push pull up down thing is actually kind of tricky because it's a big metal pole with the sensor handles on it that doesn't move, so the natural human inclination when something doesn't move is to push harder until it does. but then if you baby it, it's hard to tell how much pressure you're actually putting on it because nothing is happening. it's like pushing up against a wall. so if you baby it too much you might go outside the 15% consistency range. don't know why they just don't have a 40 pound cart there that you can push for 3 seconds. they could easily also rig a door on some rails on the wall the same way they do the peg board to simulate the van door thing. would be alot easier and straightforward. wonder how they did it 20 years ago without all this fancy equipment.
Sep 28, 2011
40 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
***RE-POST***

So I ended up passing the GAT on Thursday and now have my interview TOMORROW afternoon . From what I've been reading about the interview step, it just seems like more a tool for them to just "trim off the fat" from the population that happened to pass the GAT.

Can anyone give me any tips/hints/advice on what to expect? Thanks in advance.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
AzHawk wrote: ***RE-POST***

From what I've been reading about the interview step, it just seems like more a tool for them to just "trim off the fat" from the population that happened to pass the GAT.
Isn't that the same of every interview for every job?

Can anyone give me any tips/hints/advice on what to expect? Thanks in advance.

It's quite informal actually. They ask you about your previous encounters with the public, how you handle working with 'problem' co-workers, have you worked with cash etc etc.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 28, 2011
40 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Hugh Jass wrote: Isn't that the same of every interview for every job?
lol I suppose so

It's quite informal actually. They ask you about your previous encounters with the public, how you handle working with 'problem' co-workers, have you worked with cash etc etc.

Hmmmm, doesn't sound too grilling. What do you mean by "they", though? On my interview card it says my interviewer is someone by the name of Bev Punko. Is there more than one person in the room?
Sep 7, 2011
109 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
AzHawk wrote: lol I suppose so

Hmmmm, doesn't sound too grilling. What do you mean by "they", though? On my interview card it says my interviewer is someone by the name of Bev Punko. Is there more than one person in the room?

Assuming you don't have a temper problem or are strung out on meds you shouldn't have any problems with the interview. I have heard some people having a panel of 2 interviewers. I only had 1 for myself and there were only 3/4 questions asked. It's a competency based interview so be sure to have plenty of examples on hand about situations when you encountered a problem, lead role in a project and so on.

What position have you applied for? When you wrote the GAT how many ppl aprx. were present? Just curious to see what the recruiting numbers are seeing how some of us (myself included) have been in the hiring process since the beginning of September.

Good luck!
Sep 28, 2011
40 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Insomniac1 wrote: Assuming you don't have a temper problem or are strung out on meds you shouldn't have any problems with the interview. I have heard some people having a panel of 2 interviewers. I only had 1 for myself and there were only 3/4 questions asked. It's a competency based interview so be sure to have plenty of examples on hand about situations when you encountered a problem, lead role in a project and so on.
That shouldn't be a problem then lol. Thanks for the tips though, I just want to be as best prepared as I can.

What position have you applied for? When you wrote the GAT how many ppl aprx. were present? Just curious to see what the recruiting numbers are seeing how some of us (myself included) have been in the hiring process since the beginning of September.

Good luck!

I've applied for temp LC. There were probably in the range of 100-120 people writing the test, of which, probably slightly less than half passed. How far along in the hiring process are you?
Sep 7, 2011
109 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
AzHawk wrote: That shouldn't be a problem then lol. Thanks for the tips though, I just want to be as best prepared as I can.

I've applied for temp LC. There were probably in the range of 100-120 people writing the test, of which, probably slightly less than half passed. How far along in the hiring process are you?

I've completed all the prerequisite stages; GAT/interview/physical/eye and drive test. It's a fairly long process my friend and I suggest that your prepare yourself to the best of your abilities by reviewing the last 15 or so pages of this forum. I've read every page here going back to June of 2007 and can honestly say that the information posted here will answer ALL your questions, provide you insightful tips and prepare you for the latter stages in the hiring process.

You'll find that notification for some stages take longer than others, waiting for test results can start playing with your psyche and that the order of stages varies from your peers.

Good luck with your interview and let us know how it turns out.

- At the interview can you inquire how many positions aprx. are available at this point? Cheers!
Sep 26, 2011
30 posts
1 upvote
HOLLAND LANDING, Ont…
AzHawk wrote: I've applied for temp LC. There were probably in the range of 100-120 people writing the test, of which, probably slightly less than half passed. How far along in the hiring process are you?

You must have been in same group as me, were you there at 8am? I was surprised with how many people failed!
Sep 17, 2011
31 posts
2 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Chrism3 wrote: You must have been in same group as me, were you there at 8am? I was surprised with how many people failed!

You'd be surprised how many pple can fail that GAT test,Added pressure that each section is timed.I'm sure if there was no time limit for each section more pple would succeed because it wasnt that difficult of a test.ok maybe the memory part was really tough ! :razz:
Sep 28, 2011
112 posts
SCARBOROUGH
can someone tell me what happens after you pass the eye and road test, do they tell you right on the spot?
Sep 7, 2011
109 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
mailman555 wrote: can someone tell me what happens after you pass the eye and road test, do they tell you right on the spot?

I would think that they generally do tell your results; at least they did for me. By the end of the test you should be gauge for yourself if you passed or not as it shouldn't come as a surprise if you hit the curb or can't read most of the lines.

When did you do your drive test?
Sep 28, 2011
112 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi, I haven't done my test yet still waiting for my physical abilities test results seem as though alot of people are in the same position. I have been waiting on pins and needles for my results. I went last monday but haven't heard back so I email and they told me they are back logged and I should hear something this week. How long did it take you to get your phy. ab results?
Oct 2, 2011
4 posts
ORANGEVILLE
mailman555 wrote: Hi, I haven't done my test yet still waiting for my physical abilities test results seem as though alot of people are in the same position. I have been waiting on pins and needles for my results. I went last monday but haven't heard back so I email and they told me they are back logged and I should hear something this week. How long did it take you to get your phy. ab results?

I also passed the GAT test and onto the physical. Unfortunatly, My family had the flu and I was under the weather taking the test but went in because the job was so important to me. I am anxiously awaiting my physical results. This opportunity is so important to me. I emailed them last week but did not get a response. Did you reply with email from their other emails sent for testings or did you find a specific email from canada post website. I feel that a week passing I may have missed my chance, but like you said alot of people are in the same boat. Thanks
Sep 11, 2011
18 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
I passed my eye and road test today. What a relief! it was kind of nerve racking as the instructor was fairly demanding.
There were about 5 of us there and all I know is that at least one person failed, not sure about the others. This test is not as easy as some have suggested.

For those of you comparing timelines, I wrote my GAT on Aug 24th in Mississauga, did my physical on Sep 1, and waited a full 21 days to hear back. I think my experience has taken a bit longer than other people on this board, but that doesn't matter much, as long as I don't get offered 18$/hr while others get offered 24$/hr.

Anyways I guess now it's 2 weeks training, anyone heard anything regarding the next step?

Cheers!
Sep 28, 2011
112 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi , when you say the driving test wasn't easy what do you mean? As for the other person, I actually emailed them and they told me they didn't have the results but hopefully this week would let me know. I am also really counting on this job and am anxiously awaiting.
Sep 28, 2011
112 posts
SCARBOROUGH
How did they contact you by email or phone? was it 21 business days? thanks for your help

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)