Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 12:43 am
So CPC sends out a letter to the staff (but missed a bunch of people) and then put the wrong address on it. Then we have discussions about whether the current problems at CPC have anything to do with management.... I would say it is unbelievable, but we all know it is totally believable.
someone probably assigned the task to a co op intern who was either afraid to ask for necessary guidance or took some initiative but got it wrong somehow- really though I would expect our union leadership to step up to the plate and ensure this kind of foul-up does not happen again.
Oct 12, 2011
139 posts
71 upvotes
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2014 6:59 pm
It keeps the mail drier then anything else, but the mail still gets wet. Would help if the satchel flaps were large enough to cover more then one bundle on each side.
Thats the one thing I found unbelievable when I first started...how poorly designed the satchels are.

Quick question: How 'mandatory' is it for staffing supervisors to follow the seniority list for call-in work? I have a feeling I've been picked over the last few weeks but have no way of saying for sure.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11633 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
rangeroad07 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 6:12 am
Thats the one thing I found unbelievable when I first started...how poorly designed the satchels are.

Quick question: How 'mandatory' is it for staffing supervisors to follow the seniority list for call-in work? I have a feeling I've been picked over the last few weeks but have no way of saying for sure.
Only way you can know is if you know someone behind you on the list got called and you didn't.

What makes you think this?
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
it does happen, one fellow I know who lives quite far out told me he got called in one really nasty day was told he got called in because so-and-so who lives much closer always takes too long and he despite his commuting distance is able to come in quicker. one of those time critical things, and human nature I guess. another fellow said it here about 2 years ago, when called just say yes- no questions or anything- just go. all things considered, dont expect the call lists to be audited by anyone.
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
How is the volume of mail and parcels this week?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11633 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
mailman655 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 3:21 pm
How is the volume of mail and parcels this week?
Parcels about average. Mail light.
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 3:30 pm
Parcels about average. Mail light.
Same here, very light. I was assuming that it was because we are in the middle of a Volume Count. ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1746 posts
1294 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Both mail and parcels will be light for a bit. We are going into the slowest period of the year (summer months). This is typical.

As for a volume count in the summer, God help you... you must be getting nothing at all. Don't worry though, in a couple weeks it will magically reappear!!!! (Along, of course, with the standard huge increases in route sizes...).
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Since we have been having so many rain days and the canadapost yellow cape is terrible. Any suggestions on what else as a letter carrier you can buy to wear?
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mailman655 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 11:39 pm
Since we have been having so many rain days and the canadapost yellow cape is terrible. Any suggestions on what else as a letter carrier you can buy to wear?
Gortex coat. Won't keep the mail dry though.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11633 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
pike18 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 12:24 am
Gortex coat. Won't keep the mail dry though.
+1.

Use a clear plastic bag to cover the mail. The bags used for damaged mail are pretty good, rip them along one side. Or just make smaller bundles/make shorter loops to minimize rain exposure for the mail.
Nov 24, 2014
19 posts
2 upvotes
Lloydminster, SK
I'm reading though the tread from the beginning since I'm trying to find out all I can. Just a lot of the info is from a few years ago and from the Toronto area. (only at page 17)

I want to know if anyone has any current information on the situation for a letter carrier in Lloyd. I hear they are actually short staffed here. There are 6 temp positions open and I don't have one yet but I'm wanting to know how things are.

Not only that, a woman I was working with in my current job told me a friend of hers works for CP and they are desperate for LCs. I don't know if this is true or not. mu co-worker left to move back home so I can't get info from her any more.

So, anyone know? I do know the lost office had told me once they are short staffed which is why we don't always get our mail. They short of rotate areas or something at time.just what it sounded like.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11633 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
Shaphina wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 11:29 am
I'm reading though the tread from the beginning since I'm trying to find out all I can. Just a lot of the info is from a few years ago and from the Toronto area. (only at page 17)

I want to know if anyone has any current information on the situation for a letter carrier in Lloyd. I hear they are actually short staffed here. There are 6 temp positions open and I don't have one yet but I'm wanting to know how things are.

Not only that, a woman I was working with in my current job told me a friend of hers works for CP and they are desperate for LCs. I don't know if this is true or not. mu co-worker left to move back home so I can't get info from her any more.

So, anyone know? I do know the lost office had told me once they are short staffed which is why we don't always get our mail. They short of rotate areas or something at time.just what it sounded like.
Keep your eyes open for a postie on the street and ask them. I'm sure they'd spare you ten seconds for a chat. I've been asked tons of times about jobs at CP.
Nov 24, 2014
19 posts
2 upvotes
Lloydminster, SK
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 1:17 pm
Keep your eyes open for a postie on the street and ask them. I'm sure they'd spare you ten seconds for a chat. I've been asked tons of times about jobs at CP.
I'll have to watch for them tomorrow, seeing as my they already came today. For whatever reason I didn't think of that.
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
Shaphina wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 1:28 pm
I'll have to watch for them tomorrow, seeing as my they already came today. For whatever reason I didn't think of that.
honestly, dont think about applying, just do it- you can waste as much time as you want investigating after you made your application

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Progatron