Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
timetotellthetruth wrote: Judy Foote appears to have some common sense. Maybe the Liberals will be on our side after all....
http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/fe ... propaganda
Obviously, the people that run CP are robots with no comprehension on how humans function.

"Sort, work, more parcels, use one hand to handle 3 objects, more work, why ot it's only -50?, more work, 2 days mail no ot plz, we appreciate you making us lots of money but we gotta cut your benefits, vacation, breaks so we get our bonuses."
Aug 17, 2015
88 posts
25 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
postiewiththemostie wrote: Or how about this one: I got to do a route with carry over (odds and ends from the previous day), 1500 POCs with 8 lettertainers of sequenced mail, 6 lettertainers of flyers (12 sets and 3 were oversize) and 82 parcels on what was supposed to be a "light day* all around...a good dozen keys on the walk set and the whole hot mess barely fit in the Transit. The route had a 7:30 start but because relief don't even start picking routes until 8am I got to it at roughly 10 past. Then the supervisor advises me to sort "really fast" so I can make up the time. I put in 2 hours OT and brought back an entire section and didn't feel an ounce of remorse.
Wow. Insane.

The sequenced mail has to be sorted into the case?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
I always sort sequenced into case except for apartment mail rooms and CMBs.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
...this isn't going to copy/paste well, but...

STATUS REPORT ON NEGOTIATIONS
JUNE 6, 2016
There have been developments since the last National Executive Board meeting held
on June 3, 2016, from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

IMPORTANT:
Please ensure the individuals making presentations at strike
vote meetings have the following information.
New information:

1) The employer has dropped its demand to apply the seven (7)-day waiting period to hospitalization and accident-related cases.

2) The employer has agreed to apply the 10% recovery
rule (clause 35.06) in
cases where
too many personal days
have been taken
for all of STDP.

3) Time limits for submitting medical information under the STDP:
(a) If submitted within 30 days following the start of the absence, the
entitlement is retroactive to the start of the absence;
(b) If submitted after 30 days, the entitlement
starts on the date the medical
information was submitted.

4) The employer dropped its demand to prohibit the use of annual leave during
the STDP waiting period if personal days are not sufficient.

5) The employer has improved its offer regarding physiotherapy, from
$800.00
excluding dependents, to
$1,250.00 including dependents
for the UPO; for RSMCs, the cap is $1,000 including dependents.

6) The employer has dropped its demand to increase the insurance contribution of active members from 5% to 25%.

7) The employer has modified its demand regarding the retired members’
contribution. It is now proposing 50% for everyone, instead of a percentage based on years of service, starting January 1, 2018 (UPO).

8) The employer has replied to our demand to increase the amount claimable for hearing aids. It is proposing $1,000.00 (currently $500.00 (UPO)

9) The employer has replied to our demand to increase the amount claimable for major dental care. It is proposing
$2,000.00 (currently $1,500.00). (UPO)

10) The employer has replied to our demand to increase the amount claimable
for medical coverage when travelling
outside the country. It is proposing
$250,000 (currently $100,000). (UPO)

11) The employer has modified its demand regarding the maximum weight for
unaddressed householders. It is now proposing a maximum of 500 grams,
not 1 kilogram.

12) We have achieved our demand regarding the global positioning and tracking
system. We obtained
protection against discipline. These
systems cannot be
used for disciplinary purposes.

13) We have achieved
our demand regarding
the pre-established time standards
for work performed by Group 3 and Group 4 members (e.g. Maximo
software). These standards
cannot be used for disciplinary purposes.

14) The employer has dropped its demand on the 12-hour shift for Groups 3 & 4.

--------------

While there are still many membership demands and employer rollbacks to deal
with, and some of the above items remain unacceptable, the employer has made
some movement since the start of the strike votes.
Please stress the fact that the strike votes are having an impact
and that we need a
strong strike mandate to get the employer to move further.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
Anyone know what the union is asking for as a pay increase?
Mar 22, 2012
606 posts
334 upvotes
By the River
postiewiththemostie wrote: Or how about this one: I got to do a route with carry over (odds and ends from the previous day), 1500 POCs with 8 lettertainers of sequenced mail, 6 lettertainers of flyers (12 sets and 3 were oversize) and 82 parcels on what was supposed to be a "light day* all around...a good dozen keys on the walk set and the whole hot mess barely fit in the Transit. The route had a 7:30 start but because relief don't even start picking routes until 8am I got to it at roughly 10 past. Then the supervisor advises me to sort "really fast" so I can make up the time. I put in 2 hours OT and brought back an entire section and didn't feel an ounce of remorse.
When I get something like that I go to the supervisors and ask for help....if they say that they don't have anyone else my next question is "at what time do I bring back the mail I'm unable to deliver?" Sometimes it works, other times I do the o.t and bring back the mail at the cut off time which changes from station to station....some are 8pm....some are 9pm. It took me many years at Canada Post to stick up for myself and realize that they don't care about you and you need to stand up for yourself, even if it means getting in trouble once in awhile from a supervisor who has control issues!!
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1176 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
when I was a casual i was on the old system for maybe no more than 3 months however i was then talked in to taking PT training of the old system for me. All my assignments were for Pt. I recall my first day after PT training i was called at 830am to go to a station which i got there at 930 am after fighting all the traffic. There was no route available, so I was told told to wait until 11am in case something would turn up. At 11:30 the dumb supervisor notice that a route has not gone out. So i get assigned to this for the day. Keep in mind I have been with CP only 3 months and this is my very first PT assignment. The mail when I was sorting seemed that it will never end. I finished sorting and tying out at about 2:30pm, only to find out there was a shortage of transits (no vehicles). I was told to wait again til one was available. At 3:30 a Lc comes back after finishing is route and i get his Transit. I remembered I delivered my first letter at 4pm.I was was so stressed because it was so late already I had close to 100 personal contacts to deliver. The problem was we just had a time change so by 530pm it started to get dark. So I decided i have had enough. I couldn't even do my SLB pickup. Got back at the station at 630pm. I found out the LC who owned the route was on stress leave and i would be on this pig route for at least a couple weeks. So I called in sick the next day. At that point i had made up my mind that i would quit. When I went in two days after the supervisor gave made me do 1/3 of the route and work the balance indoors until i got up to speed. I had alot of support from the supervisor at time and co-worker. So I decided to give it another shot.

Whenever i see a new temp i always tell them how I started and how difficult it can be, but to hang in there it will get better with practise. Then came CMB and at that point i realized what a crappy job this can be
Jan 5, 2014
289 posts
327 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
In the future that letter carrier will earn a dollar to fix that lock in the freezing cold with his handy mail pliers and parcel wrench.
May 24, 2016
32 posts
16 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Whenever i see a new temp i always tell them how I started and how difficult it can be, but to hang in there it will get better with practise. Then came CMB and at that point i realized what a crappy job this can be
Same experience for me, CMB change over killed the job, I notice most people in this thread from areas where this change hasn't happened yet complaining about walking with flyers and double bundle... but I would go back in a heartbeat even if I had to double bundle, be happy you haven't been changed over to CMB's yet.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
explorer11 wrote: when I was a casual i was on the old system for maybe no more than 3 months however i was then talked in to taking PT training of the old system for me. All my assignments were for Pt. I recall my first day after PT training i was called at 830am to go to a station which i got there at 930 am after fighting all the traffic. There was no route available, so I was told told to wait until 11am in case something would turn up. At 11:30 the dumb supervisor notice that a route has not gone out. So i get assigned to this for the day. Keep in mind I have been with CP only 3 months and this is my very first PT assignment. The mail when I was sorting seemed that it will never end. I finished sorting and tying out at about 2:30pm, only to find out there was a shortage of transits (no vehicles). I was told to wait again til one was available. At 3:30 a Lc comes back after finishing is route and i get his Transit. I remembered I delivered my first letter at 4pm.I was was so stressed because it was so late already I had close to 100 personal contacts to deliver. The problem was we just had a time change so by 530pm it started to get dark. So I decided i have had enough. I couldn't even do my SLB pickup. Got back at the station at 630pm. I found out the LC who owned the route was on stress leave and i would be on this pig route for at least a couple weeks. So I called in sick the next day. At that point i had made up my mind that i would quit. When I went in two days after the supervisor gave made me do 1/3 of the route and work the balance indoors until i got up to speed. I had alot of support from the supervisor at time and co-worker. So I decided to give it another shot.

Yeah that's pretty much as bad as it gets. But on the flip side, you can look back on that day every time you have ***** time and think, hey, at least i'm not leaving at 3:30
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
Crazyhorse75 wrote: When I get something like that I go to the supervisors and ask for help....if they say that they don't have anyone else my next question is "at what time do I bring back the mail I'm unable to deliver?" Sometimes it works, other times I do the o.t and bring back the mail at the cut off time which changes from station to station....some are 8pm....some are 9pm. It took me many years at Canada Post to stick up for myself and realize that they don't care about you and you need to stand up for yourself, even if it means getting in trouble once in awhile from a supervisor who has control issues!!
A few times when I was bouncing station to station every day during the slow time I felt so stressed and tired, I just told the supervisor I'm not working OT. As soon as my 8 hours are going to come up, the mail's coming back. I got a split taken off every time but I had to fight for it for sure. They tried every trick in the book to make me go out so they didn't have to deal with it. "go count your mail" "why are you going to bring back mail??" "you can't do that" etc...

Just have to stand there and say look, overtime is optional. I have things to do after work. See ya.
May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
hebsie wrote: ...this isn't going to copy/paste well, but...

While there are still many membership demands and employer rollbacks to deal
with, and some of the above items remain unacceptable, the employer has made
some movement since the start of the strike votes.
Please stress the fact that the strike votes are having an impact
and that we need a
strong strike mandate to get the employer to move further.
That's some great news and it looks like the fat cats at CP want to keep their job and bending a bit... Where did you get this information from?
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
BizarroRon wrote: Wow. Insane.

The sequenced mail has to be sorted into the case?
Only if it is from the previous day. We are PT now.
Got the same route today. It looked like a dog's breakfast when I started it yesterday. There was a tub full of miscellaneous mail: missorts, misdeliveries, odds and ends, expired holds and expired COAN's....it took me both yesterday and today to clean it up. Supervisor told me to cut off sortation so I could leave at a decent time. That meant load leveling about 50 U-Lines and a handful of manual sort letters. I also had about 250 manual sort short and long, and the whole time I am working on them, upwards of 75% of them looked machinable. Last time I asked one of the techs or engineers why this is happening they said if the short and long don't make the cutoff time for sequenced mail, we get it as manual mail. At this point I want to walk to the nearest wall and bang my head on it :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
postiewiththemostie wrote: Only if it is from the previous day. We are PT now.
Got the same route today. It looked like a dog's breakfast when I started it yesterday. There was a tub full of miscellaneous mail: missorts, misdeliveries, odds and ends, expired holds and expired COAN's....it took me both yesterday and today to clean it up. Supervisor told me to cut off sortation so I could leave at a decent time. That meant load leveling about 50 U-Lines and a handful of manual sort letters. I also had about 250 manual sort short and long, and the whole time I am working on them, upwards of 75% of them looked machinable. Last time I asked one of the techs or engineers why this is happening they said if the short and long don't make the cutoff time for sequenced mail, we get it as manual mail. At this point I want to walk to the nearest wall and bang my head on it :facepalm:
Chuck em back in missorts
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
ksimms3 wrote: That's some great news and it looks like the fat cats at CP want to keep their job and bending a bit... Where did you get this information from?
...my union President has me on his e-mail list
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hugh Jass wrote: Chuck em back in missorts
Don't they just come back as manual sort? Usually missorts don't get sequenced. Could be a lie but that is what I was told by several people from all walks of CPC life. However, some of the things people tell me are too hard to believe :razz:
Aug 17, 2015
88 posts
25 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
As a temp, if I want to submit my resignation, are they really going to hold me to the full two week notice?

A quiet Feb to April along with the labor strife was too much to bear.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
BizarroRon wrote: As a temp, if I want to submit my resignation, are they really going to hold me to the full two week notice?

A quiet Feb to April along with the labor strife was too much to bear.

Give them the notice they want and don't work the two weeks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)