Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jr. Member
Aug 27, 2014
147 posts
80 upvotes
Arviat, NU
bigbluesky wrote:
Mar 16th, 2016 10:02 pm
They're still squabbling over the colour of the drapes in the negotiation room, I think. ;)
Once they have decided that they can get to work on more stickers and buttons. The "Union Thug" buttons everyone got today sure speak to open minded negotiations!
Sr. Member
Apr 30, 2015
805 posts
595 upvotes
York, ON
HamIltonCasual wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 6:18 am
Just came from a presentation at Gateway by Dave Bleakney, the second VP for CUPW National.

CPC pushing for further cuts as we already know, cut benefits, cut paid lunch, reduced workforce and more casual labour.

Union pushing hard for more permanent full time positions as per appendix p, no loss to jobs, benefits or paid lunch. (Didn't highlight what gains they're looking on that front)

Postal banking is a huge one that he says they have the Liberal's ear on. The redacted report by Harper is a fiery issue with them. Apparently the Feds are aware of 600 municipalities that are formally asking for postal banking.

The liberals are also talking exclusive $1B/year delivery of marijuana once legalized by CPC because the liquor delivery model varies too much from province to province and they don't want mom and pop shops in charge.

What he says is to our advantage is that the Trudeau Liberal's intend to keep us public and want to grow us, hence the last two points.

Of note, in Winnipeg the RCMP is now investigating clear proof of two sets of books for accounting purposes, discovered when the Winnipeg police bought a former Canada Post site. One VP has already quit over this, and an executive that was at the time in charge of Winnipeg's postal transformation has been walked out of the building by authorities.

Finally, Deepak Chopra has not been available or responsive in the past few months, and it truly looks like he is banking on his $7 million parachute and to be fired by the liberals. Dave says that eliminating door-to-door delivery has gained us a groundswell of public and government support and added that aside from their hardline tactics, CPC really doesn't know what it will even be able to get away with in our contract negotiations as they feel also they do not have the government support and that we have the public support.
Thanks, lots of good info.
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2012
567 posts
277 upvotes
By the River
Wondering when the year end financial report will be coming out. It was a busy Christmas season!!
Sr. Member
Apr 30, 2015
805 posts
595 upvotes
York, ON
They usually post it in May, I'm sure there is a legal deadline they have to produce their annual report, and they will wait till the last hour to post it when negotiations are going on. My bet is the profit is going to be a monster.
Sr. Member
Mar 26, 2007
520 posts
174 upvotes
Scarborough
tarjet wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 9:23 am
They usually post it in May, I'm sure there is a legal deadline they have to produce their annual report, and they will wait till the last hour to post it when negotiations are going on. My bet is the profit is going to be a monster.
They could delay that release in excuse of on-going contract negotiation. The union should be on the attack mode by demanding that,the two books accounting scandals, and also bonus given to the levels of managements. The other thing is the way the company to use for calculating the pension short fall is not the industry standard....
To deliver MJ doors to doors is huge on profits and oppertunity
A initial deadline setting or strike vote at the right timing would be a good idea to speed up the processes
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1527 posts
1124 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 9:20 am
Wondering when the year end financial report will be coming out. It was a busy Christmas season!!
I believe that last year, it came out March 12. Being that we are in negotiations, they will try to delay the fact that they made monster profits again, and won't release it for as long as possible.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1527 posts
1124 upvotes
at the chiropractors
HamIltonCasual wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 6:18 am
Just came from a presentation at Gateway by Dave Bleakney, the second VP for CUPW National.

CPC pushing for further cuts as we already know, cut benefits, cut paid lunch, reduced workforce and more casual labour.

Union pushing hard for more permanent full time positions as per appendix p, no loss to jobs, benefits or paid lunch. (Didn't highlight what gains they're looking on that front)

Postal banking is a huge one that he says they have the Liberal's ear on. The redacted report by Harper is a fiery issue with them. Apparently the Feds are aware of 600 municipalities that are formally asking for postal banking.

The liberals are also talking exclusive $1B/year delivery of marijuana once legalized by CPC because the liquor delivery model varies too much from province to province and they don't want mom and pop shops in charge.

What he says is to our advantage is that the Trudeau Liberal's intend to keep us public and want to grow us, hence the last two points.

Of note, in Winnipeg the RCMP is now investigating clear proof of two sets of books for accounting purposes, discovered when the Winnipeg police bought a former Canada Post site. One VP has already quit over this, and an executive that was at the time in charge of Winnipeg's postal transformation has been walked out of the building by authorities.

Finally, Deepak Chopra has not been available or responsive in the past few months, and it truly looks like he is banking on his $7 million parachute and to be fired by the liberals. Dave says that eliminating door-to-door delivery has gained us a groundswell of public and government support and added that aside from their hardline tactics, CPC really doesn't know what it will even be able to get away with in our contract negotiations as they feel also they do not have the government support and that we have the public support.
Thank you for a very informative post. And seriously, if there are any Union reps reading these forums, why isn't this kind of information on your website, where most of the interested members are looking to find it?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1189 posts
316 upvotes
Westside
My interview today went exceptionally well. It was probably the best interview I've ever had to be honest. There was only 1 interviewer who was very nice and made me feel comfortable. A lot of situational and behavior questions that I was able to answer with ease. I wasn't told if I'm accepted although she did say the next training session would be sometime late April. I'm feeling hopeful anyway! Thanks to everyone on this forum for your advice and knowledge. It helped me greatly to prepare. Cheers, Happy St. Paddy's Day...
Member
Sep 2, 2011
275 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
datacat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 5:39 pm
My interview today went exceptionally well. It was probably the best interview I've ever had to be honest. There was only 1 interviewer who was very nice and made me feel comfortable. A lot of situational and behavior questions that I was able to answer with ease. I wasn't told if I'm accepted although she did say the next training session would be sometime late April. I'm feeling hopeful anyway! Thanks to everyone on this forum for your advice and knowledge. It helped me greatly to prepare. Cheers, Happy St. Paddy's Day...
Great job! Sincerely hope you get the job
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 21, 2013
803 posts
364 upvotes
Montreal
There needs to be a clean house of management at CPC, then we can get down to real negotiations. I'm all for negotiating a contract no matter the length of time. Just get rid of Dip***** and lets get down to business. It's the only way to actually negotiate because the offer CPC has already offered is ludicrous. With that crew still running the show, a strike is a looming.
Newbie
Feb 22, 2016
71 posts
24 upvotes
datacat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 5:39 pm
My interview today went exceptionally well. It was probably the best interview I've ever had to be honest. There was only 1 interviewer who was very nice and made me feel comfortable. A lot of situational and behavior questions that I was able to answer with ease. I wasn't told if I'm accepted although she did say the next training session would be sometime late April. I'm feeling hopeful anyway! Thanks to everyone on this forum for your advice and knowledge. It helped me greatly to prepare. Cheers, Happy St. Paddy's Day...
Grats man! I'm sure you'll get an offer. If you felt like you did well you probably did!


I start my on the job portion of my training next week. Does anyone have any advice for me? Things I should look out for or keep in mind? Thanks.
Sr. Member
Apr 30, 2015
805 posts
595 upvotes
York, ON
Firepower01 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 7:19 pm
Grats man! I'm sure you'll get an offer. If you felt like you did well you probably did!


I start my on the job portion of my training next week. Does anyone have any advice for me? Things I should look out for or keep in mind? Thanks.
Every station is different, what you learn may not necessarily be the way it's done at every station. It's way more important than the bs they feed you in class...
Newbie
May 16, 2006
69 posts
16 upvotes
Firepower01 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2016 7:19 pm
Grats man! I'm sure you'll get an offer. If you felt like you did well you probably did!


I start my on the job portion of my training next week. Does anyone have any advice for me? Things I should look out for or keep in mind? Thanks.
Try to understand why you are doing certain things. If the trainer is telling you to do something and you have no idea why or for what reason it is being done, make sure you ask why they are doing that.
Make sure your trainer is giving you time to sort by yourself (doesn't have to be the entire time, but maybe 10-15 minutes). Have them let you tie out (don't just stare at them telling you how to do it, try it yourself).
Yes you are there to be shadow them but you also want to feel how it is doing things by yourself, otherwise you'll be having a hard time your first day alone.

Also, the worst is having a trainer who sees you as an extra pair of hands and not teach you anything.
Newbie
Jul 6, 2015
17 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Good morning fellow postie's. I have about 6 hundred hrs in and finally need some gear what is the number and how do i go about it? Also I wanted to apply as a MSC I believe it is?
since I have my DZ licence? I'm mot to sure how to go about it..
Any feedback would be much appreciated..
Thanks again for all your answers from before..
Newbie
Aug 17, 2015
86 posts
24 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
Anyone here work at the Bridge plant in mtl? I'm thinking of transferring there and I'm wondering if there's a lot of work for temp on calls.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Flyhigh22