EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Jun 24, 2015
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
help.

So I was laid off April 6th 2015, applied for EI. Had a planned vacation April 10th - May 20th. Reported it as "out of country", didn't receive any benefits. But I actually ended up working while "away", via my computer. When I got back I finished my waiting period and started collecting EI. The company I worked for just mailed me 3 weeks worth of pay, the dates were while I was "out of the country" and not receiving any EI money.

My question is, do I have to report this money since I was not getting any money from EI, and if I do would it affect anything like pushing my waiting period since I had a claim?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
meplusone wrote: help.

So I was laid off April 6th 2015, applied for EI. Had a planned vacation April 10th - May 20th. Reported it as "out of country", didn't receive any benefits. But I actually ended up working while "away", via my computer. When I got back I finished my waiting period and started collecting EI. The company I worked for just mailed me 3 weeks worth of pay, the dates were while I was "out of the country" and not receiving any EI money.

My question is, do I have to report this money since I was not getting any money from EI, and if I do would it affect anything like pushing my waiting period since I had a claim?
If it is outside the waiting period, you are fine. No need to declare it.
Jun 24, 2015
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure because I did apply for EI on the 6th. But I guess the money earned was outside the waiting period.
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
Does anyone know the number of hours of training/Courses a person can take per week ?
i know you will need to fill out a form... but ive heard that under 9hours a week of schooling, you do not need to file a form? Would that mean that anything over 9 hours will need a form? and what is the max hours of schooling (evening/weeknds) can one take, keeping in mind that from during the day is reserved for jobs searching.
Thx
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
barginfreak wrote: Does anyone know the number of hours of training/Courses a person can take per week ?
i know you will need to fill out a form... but ive heard that under 9hours a week of schooling, you do not need to file a form? Would that mean that anything over 9 hours will need a form? and what is the max hours of schooling (evening/weeknds) can one take, keeping in mind that from during the day is reserved for jobs searching.
Thx
Quick answer is anything over 9 needs to be reviewed
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
clseea wrote: Quick answer is anything over 9 needs to be reviewed
Hmm...its just that its not indicated anywhere about the 9hour rule on their website, unless im missing something..,
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
barginfreak wrote: Hmm...its just that its not indicated anywhere about the 9hour rule on their website, unless im missing something..,
There are many things not listed. Otherwise everyone would know every little policy and loophole
Jun 28, 2015
1 posts
Weird situation. I was working as a contract worker (receiving consistent pay cheques) for a year and recently got a full-time job in December 2014. I was laid off in May and only accumulated 860 hours of insurable earnings (from the full-time job) and was unable to qualify for EI (less than 910 hours).

Does "If this is your first job or if you are re-entering the work force after an absence of two years" refer to entering the workforce receiving insurable earnings? Is there anything that can be done here?
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
clseea wrote: There are many things not listed. Otherwise everyone would know every little policy and loophole
Got it! :)
Nov 22, 2014
12 posts
Toronto, ON
If I file ei report tuesday and Wednesday is canada day. Wheb will I receive my pay. Friday or monday?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
mommyme06 wrote: If I file ei report tuesday and Wednesday is canada day. Wheb will I receive my pay. Friday or monday?
Could be either day.. Depends on your bank
Jun 29, 2015
2 posts
My psychiatrist unexpectedly took me off work for "severe anxiety and mood disturbance" last week. I applied for medical EI, however, my work needed me to work one day later that week as they didn't have enough notice to find someone else. Will I lose the EI for applying with my last day the 22nd, and then working the 26th?

Also, my leave from the doctor's note is to last 8-12 weeks before being reassessed. However, after that, she doesn't want me to return to the same job (as I have social anxiety disorder, autism, and other issues that make working in such a public job incredibly stressful to the point of frequent daily panic attacks.) Can I apply for regular EI after the medical EI if my doctor has advised me not to return to that job? I have never been on EI before, and have no idea how it works.
Jan 31, 2008
408 posts
38 upvotes
clseea wrote: Quick answer is anything over 9 needs to be reviewed
If I'm taking night courses (6-9p) should those be the reported? I'm not taking any atm but might later.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
bubble_tea wrote: If I'm taking night courses (6-9p) should those be the reported? I'm not taking any atm but might later.
Yes, anything you're taking should be reported initially
Jun 29, 2015
9 posts
Burnaby, BC
Hi!
I live in Alberta and I got laid off on May 14, 2015 after I had returned to work from my maternity leave on January 5. I got a few weeks of severance payment and applied for EI regular benefits right away. I got the message today that they are not able to establish a claim for me since I did not have the required number of insurable hours. As per the current unemployment rate in Alberta I understand that the required insurable hours are 700 hours. I have 672 hours worked since I returned from my mat leave. I am desperate now since I have been sending out job application since my last working day but with no success and I was really hoping to get EI until I find a new job otherwise we will be in a huge trouble financially.
The job market is extremely tough in Alberta especially in my area (I have experience in HR), we have 2 kids to provide for. I was working for the same companysince 2011, went on mat leave in 2014, returned to work in January this year and I just feel so unfair that I am not entitled to get EI because I have 28 hours less insurable hours worked that the required number of hours. I am thinking about to appeal and explain my personal situation but I am not sure if it's worth it or not. I am just really desperate. :( Do you think there is any chance for me if I appeal?
Thank you so much for your advice!
Christine
Dec 26, 2010
92 posts
9 upvotes
4 months postpartum mother was denied EI Mat because she had insufficient hours. I don't know if she would have qualified for EI sickness when she fell ill with complications from the pregnancy but she did go on her employer's short term disability. Is there anything she can go do be reconsidered for EI mat?
Dec 26, 2010
92 posts
9 upvotes
A separate question: Do you know what happens to people that apply for EI Sickness who are in the process of applying for CPP-D? Does EI Sick stop if/when they qualify for CPP-D?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
AuroraGrace wrote: My psychiatrist unexpectedly took me off work for "severe anxiety and mood disturbance" last week. I applied for medical EI, however, my work needed me to work one day later that week as they didn't have enough notice to find someone else. Will I lose the EI for applying with my last day the 22nd, and then working the 26th?

Also, my leave from the doctor's note is to last 8-12 weeks before being reassessed. However, after that, she doesn't want me to return to the same job (as I have social anxiety disorder, autism, and other issues that make working in such a public job incredibly stressful to the point of frequent daily panic attacks.) Can I apply for regular EI after the medical EI if my doctor has advised me not to return to that job? I have never been on EI before, and have no idea how it works.
1. No, but your earnings will be deducted dollar for dollar.
2. Yes,provided you've exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting and you're still able to work full time (just not at that job). You'll submit medical documentation and request to convert your claim to regular
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Christine38 wrote: Hi!
I live in Alberta and I got laid off on May 14, 2015 after I had returned to work from my maternity leave on January 5. I got a few weeks of severance payment and applied for EI regular benefits right away. I got the message today that they are not able to establish a claim for me since I did not have the required number of insurable hours. As per the current unemployment rate in Alberta I understand that the required insurable hours are 700 hours. I have 672 hours worked since I returned from my mat leave. I am desperate now since I have been sending out job application since my last working day but with no success and I was really hoping to get EI until I find a new job otherwise we will be in a huge trouble financially.
The job market is extremely tough in Alberta especially in my area (I have experience in HR), we have 2 kids to provide for. I was working for the same companysince 2011, went on mat leave in 2014, returned to work in January this year and I just feel so unfair that I am not entitled to get EI because I have 28 hours less insurable hours worked that the required number of hours. I am thinking about to appeal and explain my personal situation but I am not sure if it's worth it or not. I am just really desperate. :( Do you think there is any chance for me if I appeal?
Thank you so much for your advice!
Christine
How would it be fairer for you to qualify without the required amount of hours?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
rfddc wrote: 4 months postpartum mother was denied EI Mat because she had insufficient hours. I don't know if she would have qualified for EI sickness when she fell ill with complications from the pregnancy but she did go on her employer's short term disability. Is there anything she can go do be reconsidered for EI mat?
The requirements for sick are the same as maternity. If she doesn't have the hours for one she doesn't for the other

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)