Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
21 upvotes

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Every single day i see question about insurance
im license in every provice for home/auto

except for sask,bc,man since there public crown corporations

Please refrain from accident question as im not a claims adjuster

ill try my best to answer within a day :-0

I will not provide quotes
go to kanetix.com or insurancehotline.com
for a quote Thanks

No one has home insurance question :P
1134 posts
Hamilton
i got into a car accident during da summer and it was my fault cuz i was making a left. My inusrance is fked up now so I'm not planning to drive till I'm 25. I'm 20 by the way. Will my insurance be less when I hit 25 or will it still be da same if I start driving now? thx
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
21 upvotes
hi justlam

sorry about the accident

accidents stay on record for 6 years with insurance
and three years with tickets

age 25 your premium does go down as your class changes
class meaning driver class male over 25

if you dont have insurance for the next 5 yrs its ok
make sure you valid license till then

in ontario you dont need continous insurance like alberta,pei etc.

who was your insurance company

insurance is based on Where you live, car, age,

hope that helps you
Hamilton
i was wit royal & sun if i remember. so i haf to wait till i'm 26 to drive again :mad:
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2002
1025 posts
OTTAWA
I have one accident ( my fault ) and 2 ticket. My insurance have raised up to $1700/yr as compare to $1000 before those faults. If I am not buying any insurance and don't drive for 2-3 year. Will I get a lower amount after that? I am 29 yr old.
:: My Heatware ::
505 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks a lot! This should clear up some tingz.

I am 18 years old, turning 19 in the summer. I am going to (hopefully) buy a car (haven't decided which make but what I am considering I will post below) in June/July. I have my G1 from Ontario, which I got 2 years ago. I moved to Alberta and here they have another grading system for drivers. However, I'm sure my G1 will be valid and I plan to go to driving school mainly to save up on insurance and just get some "professional" driving experience and tips. I hope to get the Alberta equivalent of a G2.

Since I have no previous driving experience, how much would be monthly insurance be on a such cars as listed below? Also, I heard that young drivers must take doublesided insurance (both sides covered). Is that true?

Cars I am considering (I am 6'5, and I have yet to get in the cars, so height might be a factor):
1992-1993 Honda Accord
1994-1996 Honda Accord
1997-1998 Honda Accord
1997 Honda Civic (yeah, I know)
1994-1997 VW Jetta

I know my selection is mainly Accords, but thats because I probably won't fit in a Jetta or a Civic. Besides, Accords are great.

Thank you very much!

P.S. Does insurance vary depending on auto/5spd transmission?
i5-2500K|4.4GHz|Water2.0Extreme|Z68X-UD3H-B3|16GB.C9.1600MHz|HD7970|120GB.Solid3|WD+Seagate|HCP-1000W|White.Switch810|Zowie.Celeritas+EC2|Corsar.V2000|1440p.120hz.120fps
E6600|3.4GHz|P5N32E-SLI+|4GB.C4.1000MHz|GTX560|WD|Antec.Eco-450W|CM.case|Zowie.EC2|Razer.BWUBF3|ATHM50LE|1080p.60hz.60fps
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4284 posts
114 upvotes
Minimal Effort wrote:
Mar 6th, 2007 8:14 am
P.S. Does insurance vary depending on auto/5spd transmission?
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that also.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
21 upvotes
Hi Trinh

Having one accident and two tickets.

After three years when the two conviction drop off

your premium will be lower but not $1000 a year because that af accident
will be still on your record.

Remember insurance comapnies take tickest from date of conviction
not when you got pulled over and got it.

You can ask your insurance company when the tickets come off or go to a MTO to get a driver abstract.
621 posts
21 upvotes
Insurance doesnt base premium on the transmission type either 5spd or automatic.

Each vehicle in rated based on collison rating and Theft rating.

Color, transmission doesnt matter.

Hopefully that will answer your question
505 posts
22 upvotes
Minimal Effort wrote:
Mar 6th, 2007 8:14 am
Since I have no previous driving experience, how much would be monthly insurance be on a such cars as listed below? Also, I heard that young drivers must take doublesided insurance (both sides covered). Is that true[?QUOTE]

Please answer this to the best of your knowledge.. give me an estimate on insurance for a 96 accord.
i5-2500K|4.4GHz|Water2.0Extreme|Z68X-UD3H-B3|16GB.C9.1600MHz|HD7970|120GB.Solid3|WD+Seagate|HCP-1000W|White.Switch810|Zowie.Celeritas+EC2|Corsar.V2000|1440p.120hz.120fps
E6600|3.4GHz|P5N32E-SLI+|4GB.C4.1000MHz|GTX560|WD|Antec.Eco-450W|CM.case|Zowie.EC2|Razer.BWUBF3|ATHM50LE|1080p.60hz.60fps
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
21 upvotes
Hi Mininal effort,

In alberta is based on a grid system so the premium is regulated.

So your G1 then G2 is ontario

So with your G1 is class 07
and g2 will be a class 05 in alberta

For the cars you can get quote online
just say you have a class 05 license already to give you a idea as the quote are good for 60 days

rbcinsurance.com
tdinsurance.com

and you can play around with the number

For young drivers having double side insurance (meaning full coverage) is false.

Unless the car is being financed or leased then it needs full coverage.

In alberta you can get Third party liabilty only as stated above.
Having driving certficate will help you reduce premium
Hope that answer all your questions
505 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks it does.. but on TD site i got this

Our insurance quoter, which includes only a few general questions, was designed to give a quick response to the majority of people requesting insurance quotes. We have reviewed your driving record and the information you provided. We regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you with an online quote at this time as we require additional information

Although i filled everything out.. twice..
Jul 18, 2005
126 posts
Hello,
I recently got into a car accident and I was found to be at fault. My 03 maxima is a write off. I have another 01 honda accord. Both the cars are under my name. I have 3 other people under my policy (my wife and my 2 sons 23,25). I was payin $4000/yr for both the cars with TD.

We had another big claim this year when my son got into an accident (he was not at fault though) 2 months ago.

Now, I am looking for a new vehicle and I know my insurance is gonna sky rocket. I have few questions:

1. If i get a new car and stay with TD...would I be paying high premium (cuz of accidents) right away or that would come into affect at next renewal which is september.
2. If my premium is increasin from now..am i better of switchin insurance companies?
3. Should i buy the new vehicle under my wife's name and make my son (25) primary driver on it and my wife primary driver on honda ? I am not sure if thats going to make any difference.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
21 upvotes
Hi goleafs go

Sorry about that accident.

Right now with td insurance ask see what the star rating is for each driver
i presume ur either 5* out of max 7* assuming no other tickets or accidents
Ask td if that had any accident forgiveness or anything like that.

If you sons accident is not at fault then it wont effective the premium.

Ask td for quotes on different vehicles and from there you can decide.
it depends also on renewal if td will be higher if not shop around.

Wont matter if your son is prinicpal on the vehicle you buy.

as td would mostly likely rate it as

car 1) You son x
car 2) Wife son x

as td will put ur son 23 on the highest rate vehicle whichever vehicle that is

2) sometimes switching does help, but remember insurance companies give renewal discount, if you have more then one car and if you have home insurance.

3) if your accident was within the current policy term, your premium will not go up till renewal
7398 posts
685 upvotes
What would happen if a car was insured, but a family member in the same house who was not on the insurance got into an accident in that car?
× < >