Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Nov 25, 2011
2 posts
Toronto
Had a snow plow back into me on Christmas day(it's on dash cam). The vehicle was a John Deere tractor with no plates or insurance on board. I've got the driver's information and he provided phone number for the company to get the insurance information. Tried multiple times to get insurance information but the owner of the company is dodging.

I've opened a claim and am awaiting for parts to come in to get my car repaired. I'm with Sonnet in Ontario. Right now I'll be paying my deductible. The adjustor says that after repairs are done they will be reaching out to the company to collect.

Meanwhile I do have an OPP report, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

What are the chances of the insurance company successfully recovering the money? Should the onus be on me, the Insurance or the OPP to get that information from the other party?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
hard to say, have you checked rates with other companies & Brokers??? Neutral Face
iceman2015 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:24 pm
Hi all, just wanted to get any advice on current auto insurance.
Currently paying 260 per month on two cars with three drivers. Insurance is with co-op. Is this too high or can I find something cheaper? If cheaper, where can I find this online?

Thanks,
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
In Ontario, insurance companies don't subrograte, you claim under your own policy for your damages regardless of fault...right now, until the other party admits fault, you have paid your collision deductible in order to have the repairs done. As soon as your insurance company receives confirmation from the other insurance company that their insured was at fault, they will reimburse your deductible and the claim will be filed under your direct compensation portion of your policy, which usually has a 0 deductible.
couto607 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:20 pm
Had a snow plow back into me on Christmas day(it's on dash cam). The vehicle was a John Deere tractor with no plates or insurance on board. I've got the driver's information and he provided phone number for the company to get the insurance information. Tried multiple times to get insurance information but the owner of the company is dodging.

I've opened a claim and am awaiting for parts to come in to get my car repaired. I'm with Sonnet in Ontario. Right now I'll be paying my deductible. The adjustor says that after repairs are done they will be reaching out to the company to collect.

Meanwhile I do have an OPP report, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

What are the chances of the insurance company successfully recovering the money? Should the onus be on me, the Insurance or the OPP to get that information from the other party?
Nov 29, 2015
183 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 8:49 am
hard to say, have you checked rates with other companies & Brokers??? Neutral Face
Thanks Cosmic5 - not sure what broker would you recommend or where would I check rates - do you know of anything online I can check?
Nov 25, 2011
2 posts
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 8:52 am
In Ontario, insurance companies don't subrograte, you claim under your own policy for your damages regardless of fault...right now, until the other party admits fault, you have paid your collision deductible in order to have the repairs done. As soon as your insurance company receives confirmation from the other insurance company that their insured was at fault, they will reimburse your deductible and the claim will be filed under your direct compensation portion of your policy, which usually has a 0 deductible.
So, until the other company approaches the insurance and makes a claim, I'm SOL? Are you saying my insurance won't pursue the other party even after repairs have been made?

Should the OPP be doing something in this case? Failure to provide insurance is illegal no?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
yes
iceman2015 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:19 am
Thanks Cosmic5 - not sure what broker would you recommend or where would I check rates - do you know of anything online I can check?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
you are correct, ins companies in Ontario don`t go after the at fault parties ins for reimbursement, just admission of fault. As soon as your company receives confirmation of fault, you will get your deductible back.

You have some details so they, the police, can use to track down the owner of the vehicle - might take some time
couto607 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:51 am
So, until the other company approaches the insurance and makes a claim, I'm SOL? Are you saying my insurance won't pursue the other party even after repairs have been made?

Should the OPP be doing something in this case? Failure to provide insurance is illegal no?
Apr 20, 2009
145 posts
24 upvotes
couto607 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:51 am

If the tractor is not plated for on road usage, it would be insured under a property policy as opposed to an auto policy and would not have a pink slip and they don't have the same proof of insurance requirements as on road vehicles.

If the tractor was not an on road vehicle, DCPD would not apply and they can subrogate. The policy number of the other party is not required for a successful subrogation. If you have the contact info for the owner of the company who owns the tractor, they can send a subrogation demand which basically says you are responsible for this damage, please send this to your insurance company for handling or we will be pursuing legal action against you.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44457 posts
11348 upvotes
If there are three drivers and three cars in my household, and each driver is designated primary on each of the three cars, any one of us can still drive any of the cars, correct?
Apr 20, 2009
145 posts
24 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:36 pm
If there are three drivers and three cars in my household, and each driver is designated primary on each of the three cars, any one of us can still drive any of the cars, correct?

Correct, as long as there is no OPCF 28 (Reduction of coverage for named persons) on any of the vehicles. You would probably know if there was as you would have to request it.

If you are not in Ontario, the endorsement may be called something different but the number will likely still be a 28.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
yes. If they are insured with different companies, you must disclose each other to each others insurance company.
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:36 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44457 posts
11348 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 8:22 am
yes. If they are insured with different companies, you must disclose each other to each others insurance company.
Good morning and thanks. Just one policy from a single insurer covering three cars.

I guess I can assign the car covered only by liability insurance to the least experienced driver?

It seems perfectly legal to move drivers around and assign them to the vehicle combination which results in the lowest overall premium.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
The driver that drives the vehicle the most should be listed on it. however, saying that, each company has different rules, and may put the highest rated operator on the highest rated vehicle. Some companies will allow you to put whichever driver on any vehicle. Call your Broker and find out how your insurer will rate the vehicles & drivers. The reason they put the highest rated driver on the highest rated vehicle is to allow that driver to drive any vehicle listed on the policy.

alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 8:47 am
Good morning and thanks. Just one policy from a single insurer covering three cars.

I guess I can assign the car covered only by liability insurance to the least experienced driver?

It seems perfectly legal to move drivers around and assign them to the vehicle combination which results in the lowest overall premium.
Jan 24, 2015
72 posts
9 upvotes
York, ON
I'm a new building owner (stand alone triplex unit), I've had it for a year now, and when I initially got my broker to issue me a commercial property insurance quote, it was triple of what I was expecting (comparing to my friends with a similar situation). The broker told me that it was due to us (my partner) never having any prior experience as a commercial policy owner. Although I have commercial auto on my work truck, and a separate liability policy for my business. All my tenants have their own content insurance policy, including myself for the unit that I occupy. It is usual that the premiums are this high for new policy owners, and at what point could I see a decrease in premiums? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7730 posts
789 upvotes
Ontario
yes, when you have not had the same type of insurance before, there are no discounts to be applied plus there is no insurance history, so the company will rate accordingly. There also may be other factors such as type of building, amount of building coverage(and type of coverage), location, age of building, updates (roof/elec/plumbing/heating), rental income coverage etc. Perhaps look at other brokers and see how their quotes compare.
Steejn wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 12:33 am
I'm a new building owner (stand alone triplex unit), I've had it for a year now, and when I initially got my broker to issue me a commercial property insurance quote, it was triple of what I was expecting (comparing to my friends with a similar situation). The broker told me that it was due to us (my partner) never having any prior experience as a commercial policy owner. Although I have commercial auto on my work truck, and a separate liability policy for my business. All my tenants have their own content insurance policy, including myself for the unit that I occupy. It is usual that the premiums are this high for new policy owners, and at what point could I see a decrease in premiums? Thanks!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)