Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
Quotes can be good for approx 30 days..you should be getting your renewal approx 45 days ahead of the renewal date. You can start looking around approx month or so prior to the renewal then follow up with an updated quote once the renewal date gets closer.
Elfwood wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 2:14 pm
In GTA, I'm looking for home and auto insurance bundle for beginning of June renewal. I want to get it done as early as possible.

How early can I start getting quotes from different insurance companies? How long are insurance quotes valid for?

Thanks
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Jan 28, 2018
1 posts
Hey cosmic, I got my G in September, and just got into my second accident while visiting family in Alberta. Please, I need advice.

I've had BelAirDirect since September paying $233 a month. I drive around quite a lot, sometimes to Montreal, sometimes, Quebec City. But I seem to get into the wrong accidents in simple places. In November, I misjudged a turn in my parking lot, and ruined my OEM side skirt. I filed an at fault claim, paid $500 deductible and used my accident forgiveness. The agent told me I still have one partial forgiveness.

Well, while visiting family here in Edmonton, a snowstorm made roads very icy, hard and slippery. I was just pulling in behind a car behind a red light normally, very slowly, but while I'm pressing down on break, the car wouldn't stop at all. I was going very slow but still moving. I couldn't swerve anywhere and just rear-ended the SUV in front of me. Thank goodness the lady driver was alright. She was very nice and said she had a lot of trouble stopping too. She knew I was gonna hit her and that if roles were reversed, she would have hit me too. We exchanged e-mails like we should and on we went. We both kept slipping and sliding on the ice as we talked, and she even fell over once.

What do you think I should do? My front bumper is not that bad, there is damage, a CD sized piece broke off but its still driveable and not very noticeable. I do want to get it fixe though. I'm guessing the lady and we will exchange insurance. So what should I do? Call my insurance tomorrow, tell them what happened? What will partial forgiveness do for me?
Jan 29, 2018
1 posts
Which insurance companies recognize outside Canada experience and Zipcar insurance history?
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
35 upvotes
Ygiitk wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 5:21 pm
Which insurance companies recognize outside Canada experience and Zipcar insurance history?
Most insurers do, but documentation requirements will vary depending on company.

This was many years ago, but Allstate chose to recognize my zipcar history. I don't think too many companies out there do.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty much all insurance companies recognize insurance history from the USA as long as you provide an experience letter. I deal with a few that will also accept Zipcar. There are quite a few that will not accept zip car still.
Ygiitk wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 5:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
partial forgiveness? was the first at fault 25% or less your fault?

You may want to consider paying for the third parties damages out of pocket to keep it out of insurance; however, if she has already reported to her ins company, then the claim will be on your file.
MartinLuther04 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 3:28 am
Hey cosmic, I got my G in September, and just got into my second accident while visiting family in Alberta. Please, I need advice.

I've had BelAirDirect since September paying $233 a month. I drive around quite a lot, sometimes to Montreal, sometimes, Quebec City. But I seem to get into the wrong accidents in simple places. In November, I misjudged a turn in my parking lot, and ruined my OEM side skirt. I filed an at fault claim, paid $500 deductible and used my accident forgiveness. The agent told me I still have one partial forgiveness.

Well, while visiting family here in Edmonton, a snowstorm made roads very icy, hard and slippery. I was just pulling in behind a car behind a red light normally, very slowly, but while I'm pressing down on break, the car wouldn't stop at all. I was going very slow but still moving. I couldn't swerve anywhere and just rear-ended the SUV in front of me. Thank goodness the lady driver was alright. She was very nice and said she had a lot of trouble stopping too. She knew I was gonna hit her and that if roles were reversed, she would have hit me too. We exchanged e-mails like we should and on we went. We both kept slipping and sliding on the ice as we talked, and she even fell over once.

What do you think I should do? My front bumper is not that bad, there is damage, a CD sized piece broke off but its still driveable and not very noticeable. I do want to get it fixe though. I'm guessing the lady and we will exchange insurance. So what should I do? Call my insurance tomorrow, tell them what happened? What will partial forgiveness do for me?
Jan 30, 2018
1 posts
hello! thanks in advance for this thread. question:

If I had a speeding ticket 55 (not stunt) km over 2.5 years ago, but have not received any increases in premium (I have paid annually since the incident), if I purchase a new car and get a quote for a new rate, when I can do so without being impacted by the ticket. 3 years after?
Apr 20, 2009
162 posts
35 upvotes
rolandgarrosfan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:23 pm
hello! thanks in advance for this thread. question:

If I had a speeding ticket 55 (not stunt) km over 2.5 years ago, but have not received any increases in premium (I have paid annually since the incident), if I purchase a new car and get a quote for a new rate, when I can do so without being impacted by the ticket. 3 years after?

Tickets won't be rated once they are three years old. I'm assuming you didn't experience any increase in premium since the ticket because the company you were with didn't pull any recent reports on you. If you stay with the same company, they probably won't feel the need to pull a report just because you bought a new car and you probably won't get rated for it. If you decide to switch companies, you would be required to disclose the conviction and they would rate you for it.
Jul 30, 2012
2 posts
NORTH YORK
Wife has a pair of at-faults over the past six years. Her policy has been renewed since the second one... Tried to add her to my insurance, they said no. Can her insurer screw with us if we try to merge onto her provider?
May 3, 2008
623 posts
230 upvotes
Markham
Just received my insurance renewal and notice the multi vehicle discount dropped from 15% to 7.5%. Anyone else notice similar drop lately on their renewal?
Called in and was told its universal across all policy with my insurer. Talking about a couple hundred a year and wondering if all insurance companies are scaling back on the multi vehicle discount or just my insurer.
Feb 29, 2016
132 posts
9 upvotes
I got a ticket for distracted driving and the court hearing is on March 29th, 2018. If the officer shows up on that day, I will be convicted for sure and therefore my TD Insurance premium is bound to increase on the next renewal (Oct 2018). I was planning to switch from TD to another company in a few days so that the renewal won't happen till next March and therefore I would not be required to pay extra premium between Oct 2018 to Mar 2019.

Questions:
1. Is my thinking correct about avoiding the extra insurance premium by switching the companies?
2. Are there any companies which do not look at the driving record at the time of renewal (would switch to that company as I am planning to switch anyway)

Thanks in advance,
Rohan

@COSMIC5 @absolut123 @mafiastyles
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
applying to a new insurance company, they will definately pull an MVR, and if you have not been convicted of this since you are applying for new prior to march 29th trial date, it won't be listed. Most companies do not pull updated MVR's each renewal; however, you are required to advise your insurer of all convictions beit on application or during the term.
rohan1985 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:19 pm
I got a ticket for distracted driving and the court hearing is on March 29th, 2018. If the officer shows up on that day, I will be convicted for sure and therefore my TD Insurance premium is bound to increase on the next renewal (Oct 2018). I was planning to switch from TD to another company in a few days so that the renewal won't happen till next March and therefore I would not be required to pay extra premium between Oct 2018 to Mar 2019.

Questions:
1. Is my thinking correct about avoiding the extra insurance premium by switching the companies?
2. Are there any companies which do not look at the driving record at the time of renewal (would switch to that company as I am planning to switch anyway)

Thanks in advance,
Rohan

@COSMIC5 @absolut123 @mafiastyles
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
if she doesn't qualify to be added to your policy, I don't see any reason why you cannot be added to hers.. call her Broker and find out if this is a possibility
echoer wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 9:28 pm
Wife has a pair of at-faults over the past six years. Her policy has been renewed since the second one... Tried to add her to my insurance, they said no. Can her insurer screw with us if we try to merge onto her provider?
Jan 28, 2017
24 posts
20 upvotes
Tried searching for this, but 494 pages too much to go through even with keyword search.

What strategies are used to lower insurance rates in Ontario? I will be going over what I need, shopping around, but how can I negotiate a good rate?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12110 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jackisbuying wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:58 pm
Tried searching for this, but 494 pages too much to go through even with keyword search.

What strategies are used to lower insurance rates in Ontario? I will be going over what I need, shopping around, but how can I negotiate a good rate?
You don't give us much info to go buy, but here are some of the following suggestions:
  • Use a broker so you can get the best rate from that broker
  • Get all the discounts you qualify for. This means multi-line discounts and multi-vehicle discounts. If you're married and your spouse have their own vehicle, insure it with the same company to get that multi-vehicle discount.
  • Have two sets of tires and one of them are winters? Get the winter tire discount
  • Try and be as accurate as possible with your licensing dates. They play a factor in determining your insurance premiums. Don't lie either. If you have no idea when you got your licenses, get a driver's license history from Service Ontario.
  • Don't lie about your ticket convictions or claims or cancellations. If you forget about one, that's fine. But if I find out you have multiple claims, tickets, or non-payments and you didn't tell me, I feel like I cannot trust you.
  • If your vehicle has automatic emergency braking, see if the company offers an automatic emergency braking discount.