Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
7874 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario
They're really aren't any "strats" when shopping for a new rate.. as qeokilla mentioned.. try to combine your property with the auto, Calling a Broker will allow them to shop their markets for the best rate that suits your needs. A Broker has multiple companies in their office vs an agent who works for the company they are quoting and will never be able to shop around for better rates for you.
Winter tire discounts can be applied, but you must have them on the vehicle before usually Dec 1st and must keep them on til around March or April 1st to qualify.
If you are unsure of your lic dates, go to service ontario and request a drivers history report. This will give you the exact date of the G1, G2 and G
If you have physical damage coverage on your vehicle (collision & comp), perhaps increase the deductibles.
Some companies offer a discount if you pay in full vs monthly.. ie intact offer this discount.
jackisbuying wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:58 pm
Tried searching for this, but 494 pages too much to go through even with keyword search.

What strategies are used to lower insurance rates in Ontario? I will be going over what I need, shopping around, but how can I negotiate a good rate?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Sr. Member
Sep 12, 2017
885 posts
72 upvotes
How long are insurance lapses kept on file? While shopping for insurance, it appears I've had a 6 month lapse between feb.2008 to july.2008. Believe this was because one of the insurance companies canceled my policy when I tried to switch, because I did not disclose my mom had a parking lot accident a while back which I totally forgot about. This happened 9.4 years ago, do insurance companies keep this still on file? Does this make a big difference to insurance companies? I've been driving since 2005 so that would be 13 years of continuous insurance, if you start counting from the lapse it would be 10 years. Would this make a big premium difference when shopping for insurance, should I mention this fact when shopping for insurance?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
11876 posts
1768 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 2:27 pm
How long are insurance lapses kept on file? While shopping for insurance, it appears I've had a 6 month lapse between feb.2008 to july.2008. Believe this was because one of the insurance companies canceled my policy when I tried to switch, because I did not disclose my mom had a parking lot accident a while back which I totally forgot about. This happened 9.4 years ago, do insurance companies keep this still on file? Does this make a big difference to insurance companies? I've been driving since 2005 so that would be 13 years of continuous insurance, if you start counting from the lapse it would be 10 years. Would this make a big premium difference when shopping for insurance, should I mention this fact when shopping for insurance?
Insurance lapses are rated for the past 3 years. Based on what you posted, you're most likely fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3340 posts
776 upvotes
Had an accident, reported to police, have a police report and such, but didn't report it to the insurance company. It's been 15 months now. Didn't show up on my insurance renewal for some reason which was 9 months after the accident.

I imagine the time frame for them to cover the repair is gone and I should have it repaired and pay for it myself?
Sr. Member
Apr 4, 2017
600 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Any difference in pricing when you write driving for pleasure or work?

Will it go up if you say you need car for work? How many km? Premiums be affected based on your location?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
7874 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario
absolutely.. some companies use whats called "individualized rating" which means you're rated for exactly how your driving habits are and not lumped into a "group" and rated..
premiums are based on the vehicle, territory, use, driving record, ins history etc..
ysl5710 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 8:41 pm
Any difference in pricing when you write driving for pleasure or work?

Will it go up if you say you need car for work? How many km? Premiums be affected based on your location?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Newbie
Mar 2, 2015
19 posts
5 upvotes
When it's time to renew my insurance, does it make a difference if i inform them that i now have a child?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
7874 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario
only if they are old enough to drive and have a DL lic
AndrewL721 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 10:44 am
When it's time to renew my insurance, does it make a difference if i inform them that i now have a child?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Newbie
Jun 13, 2016
24 posts
6 upvotes
So I received a speeding ticket in August of 2017, its a minor conviction. My renewal is coming up in May and it appears they did not capture my conviction. Do I need to report my conviction? I'm insured with Sonnet and there is nothing indicating such on any policy documentation, website, FAQ, etc, no where that I can find. The only thing I've found is this article from 2010 indicating you do not, https://www.insurancehotline.com/6-comm ... -answered/

I also cannot find anything other then mandatory reporting of accidents on the FSCO page and based on the lack of concrete answers I'm assuming I'm in the clear not reporting the conviction unless I decide to switch insurers. If I'm wrong please cite where you got it from. Honestly the lack of information on this question is kind of shocking.
Newbie
Jun 14, 2016
85 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary
You don't have to report it. If the renewal documents that you've received do not have that conviction factored in then the company probably did not pull an abstract on your renewal. Or maybe they do know about it and because maybe you only have the one conviction, it's not chargeable.
Newbie
May 9, 2006
22 posts
1 upvote
Long time driver's license holder (>20 yrs), soon to be first time car owner!
What should I expect in terms of ballpark rates for auto insurance? (Looking at mid-sized wagon-like used cars, 10 years old or less, East Toronto.)
I've had an auto share membership for many years, but have not been on any auto insurance otherwise. Do insurance companies take this into account? If so, what would they be looking for?

To top it off, I'm also going to have 2 new drivers in the household (1 - teen, 2 - adult over 25) who will be undergoing full driver's ed courses. I guess they'll be added on as occasional drivers?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
7874 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario
having an auto share membership is good. A few companies will accept zip car as prior insurance.

Hard to say what the rate would be, all things like age, location, driving record, type of vehicle and use all are used to determine the rate. Having the drivers ed course for new drivers will definately help!
Ravenous wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 4:04 pm
Long time driver's license holder (>20 yrs), soon to be first time car owner!
What should I expect in terms of ballpark rates for auto insurance? (Looking at mid-sized wagon-like used cars, 10 years old or less, East Toronto.)
I've had an auto share membership for many years, but have not been on any auto insurance otherwise. Do insurance companies take this into account? If so, what would they be looking for?

To top it off, I'm also going to have 2 new drivers in the household (1 - teen, 2 - adult over 25) who will be undergoing full driver's ed courses. I guess they'll be added on as occasional drivers?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 26, 2011
1454 posts
270 upvotes
ottlife91 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:26 am
So I received a speeding ticket in August of 2017, its a minor conviction. My renewal is coming up in May and it appears they did not capture my conviction. Do I need to report my conviction? I'm insured with Sonnet and there is nothing indicating such on any policy documentation, website, FAQ, etc, no where that I can find. The only thing I've found is this article from 2010 indicating you do not, https://www.insurancehotline.com/6-comm ... -answered/

I also cannot find anything other then mandatory reporting of accidents on the FSCO page and based on the lack of concrete answers I'm assuming I'm in the clear not reporting the conviction unless I decide to switch insurers. If I'm wrong please cite where you got it from. Honestly the lack of information on this question is kind of shocking.
The correct answer is that when the insurance company asks whether you have any tickets, you are not supposed to lie. However, if they don't know about it, I would suggest just keeping quiet. Otherwise, if you report it to your broker, they're in a tough position because they're supposed to document it on file if they know.
Newbie
Apr 8, 2018
2 posts
He was doing a u-turn but he is claiming he was just taking a left. I was behind him, because he started the maneuver going to the right I tried passing him on the left. It's a one lane road but it's really wide. I ended up hitting the front left of his vehicle. What are my options now? Will I be put at fault?

Here is a diagram

https://imgur.com/a/2YHrO
Last edited by airgunit on Apr 9th, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Feb 19, 2017
268 posts
112 upvotes
I live in an Ontario home with two relatives. I was previously named a secondary driver on their insurance policy so that I could drive their vehicle (I did not have my own vehicle).

Now I own my own vehicle for which I will be the primary driver, and I have my own insurance. I will still be driving my relatives vehicle occasionally, and they will occasionally drive mine.

My broker says I no longer need to be listed as a secondary driver on my relatives' policy, and I don't need to have them as secondary drivers on my policy. She said it's sufficient to name them as other licensed drivers with their own insurance in the household on my policy, and name me a licensed driver in the household with my own insurance on their policy. I am trying to understand the difference between a secondary driver on a policy and a name licensed driver on a policy. I had thought that all semi-regular drivers had to be listed as secondary drivers on my policy since that might impact the policy premium, regardless of whether they have their own insurance.

If my relatives were to get in an accident driving my vehicle, wouldn't my insurance cover it (or vice versa if I were driving their vehicle)? Even if they have their own insurance? And therefore shouldn't they be named as secondary drivers on my insurance?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

User328820