• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2017 9:20 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE BECOME REALLY BUSY WITH SCHOOL I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS , SORRY ABOUT THAT, THERE SHOULD BE MORE THEN ENOUGH INFORMATION TO COVER ALL SCENARIOS.

Hey guys

I saw a lot of questions regarding parking tickets in Toronto, and thought I would make one convenient thread. I use to work for the City Parking Tag office and pretty much know everything there is to know about parking tickets and thought I lend myself to help the RFD Community.

FYI this is only for TORONTO parking tickets, not MISSISAUGA OR BRAMPTON, JUST THE GTA

Disclaimer: The process and information may change over time, use at your own discretion.

Some BASIC information.

PARKING TICKET PROCESS

1) Once you get that yellow ticket on your windshield (For example $30 ticket), you have exactly 15 days to pay the ticket or go to court.
2) Once the ticket has passed 15 days you will be sent a "Notice of IMPENDING Conviction� and the cost of the ticket is still the same ($30). Once you receive that you will have another 15 days to pay the ticket or send it for court.
3) Once the due date has been reached you will then receive a �Notice of FINE and DUE DATE� which means you have been convicted and it is too late to send to court. At this time they charge you an additional $16 in court fees (Eg. the $30 ticket is now $46). You will now have an additional 30 days to pay for the ticket.
[INDENT]a) If you still want to take it to court you have to go see a JP(Justice of the Peace) to reopen the case, in which he may or may not grant a reopening.[/INDENT]4) If you ignore that notice and do not pay for your ticket after you have been convicted and after the 30 days, the ticket is then forward to the MTO(Ministry of Transportation) in which they add their charge of $20 (eg. The $30 ticket -> $46-> $66 that is due) When is sent to the ministry you have three options
[INDENT]a) go to the ministry and pay the fine off as soon as you can
b) don�t pay the fine until you need to get your sticker renewed as the ticket will not increase any more
c) go to the parking office, request a print out($1/ticket) and then see the JP and request a reopening, which he may or may not grant[/INDENT].
5) When it is forwarded to the ministry, it will stay there until you need a sticker renewal for your car, at that time the ministry will ask for any outstanding parking tickets. If for whatever reason you do not need the sticker renewed, after about 2 years it eventually gets forwarded to collections.

COURT

To file a court date you have to appear in person to any of the Parking Tag Offices. Grab court document and fill out the former with the owners information. If you don't own the car but got the ticket you still have to put the owners information on top and put your name as the agent at the bottom. Not matter what they will get the notice for court.

When filling out the form, the question relating whether you want to challenge the officer's evidence, you should check yes , unless you are pleading guilty. It does not hurt for him to be there, but it may hurt if hes not there as if you challenge his word with a judge and you requested him to not be there then you will lose your case. If you check yes it is always better as if the officer does not show up you automatically win the case.

Court dates take anywhere between 6-8 months on average to recieve a court date. I have seen it where people have been waiting for more then 2 years, its just a process, but rest assured its not going away you will evenutally get your court date.

Make sure that if you move address after you set the court date to return to the office and change your address as it will not automatically update and you could potentially miss a court date.

Once you have set a court date you have up until the day before your trial to return to the office and pay off the ticket without going to court.

If you missed your court date, then you will be convicted and charged an additional $12.75 on top of your ticket.

If you cannot attend your court then you have upto 10 business days prior to the date to go to the office and file a motion to change the date.

If you cannot attend your court then you can send any representative over the age of 16 to attend for you.

There is ONLY DAY COURT there is NO night court.

SOME FACTS AND MISCONCEPTIONS

FACT � DON�T ignore parking tickets cause they will never go away, they will catch up to you eventually and usually a high price to pay.
FACT � Parking tickets NEVER affect your insurance
FACT � IF the officer issues you the ticket and doesn�t put it on your windshield, because you drove away, you are still going to get the ticket, it will be sent as a Notice of Impending Conviction, unless the officer decides to cancel it.
FACT � Only a judge can reduce parking tickets, not the parking tag staff.
FACT � Parking tickets can only be cancelled for valid reasons listed in the Cancellation section of this post. No matter how much you think you are innocent, the parking staff cannot cancel your ticket only a judge.

VALID REASON TO CANCEL A TICKET AT PARKING OFFICE

These reasons can be used to cancel tickets at the parking office, if the reason is not listed then it cannot be cancelled at the office, GO TO COURT.

1) The MAKE of your vehicle is incorrect. For example, it says you own a NISSAN, but really you own an INFINITI . Bring your valid ownership to the parking office and they will cancel it for you.
2) Missing Information. If there is any missing information such as PRICE, OFFENCE, OFFICER ID, OFFICER SIGNATURE, then the ticket can be cancelled.
3) HANDICAP sign. If you own a handicap sign you are exempt from certain situations not ALL. You are not exempt from NO PARKING/ NO STOPPING zones, LOADING ZONE. If anyone other then yourself was driving the car without you present.
4) The sticker EXPIRATION DATE stated on the ticket is incorrect, the ticket can be cancelled, bring valid ownership.
5) If you have a GREENP Parking Receipt, valid for the time you received the ticket, your ticket states the following offence then your ticket can be cancelled.
[INDENT]a.FAIL TO DISPLAY RECIEPT
b.FAIL TO DEPOSIT FEE IN THE MACHINE[/INDENT]
If it is any other offence the ticket will NOT be cancelled under any circumstance. For example, NO PARKING/STAND SIGNED PROHIBTED TIMES AND DAY is not a valid cancellation.

GENERAL CONSENSUS WITH PARKING TICKETS

Tickets for $15 under no circumstance should be sent to court. It is an utter waste of time, because the judge will laugh and make you pay the $15 anyways, plus you waste your own time, your wages, parking cost. Not worth it at all.

In my opinion tickets OVER $60 should be sent to court, anything else is simply not worth it as the judge will doc maybe doc half of the ticket off and the cost of fighting the ticket is not worth it.

�PARKING LONGER THAN 3 HOURS � OFFENSE EXPLANATION

This is a $15 ticket that is commonly issued and people have a hard time understanding the meaning of it.

In the CITY OF TORONTO, there is an UNSIGNED (Means no sign) BY LAW that states no vehicle can be parked longer then 3 HOURS on any City of Toronto street.

Parking Enforcement does not go looking around neighbourhoods to give these $15 tickets out, they have better fish to catch, they only issue tickets when SOMEONE complains that there are too many cars on the street.

CONCLUSION

I hope the above information is helpful and provides a base understanding for people with parking tickets. Because of the large amounts of issues that can arise I cannot list them here as this post is already long enough
3275 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2039 posts
42 upvotes
So I got a notice, and missed the due date :( so there's the extra $16 I guess... but how do I go about paying this? Also, would I have any grounds to fight the ticket if I never got the ticket (i.e. I ride a motorcycle, so if the ticket gets blown away or something, I would never know about it until I get the notice). I wouldn't remember much about where/when I parked so wouldn't have pictures as I never "got" the ticket.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
express.items wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 9:52 am
So I got a notice, and missed the due date :( so there's the extra $16 I guess... but how do I go about paying this? Also, would I have any grounds to fight the ticket if I never got the ticket (i.e. I ride a motorcycle, so if the ticket gets blown away or something, I would never know about it until I get the notice). I wouldn't remember much about where/when I parked so wouldn't have pictures as I never "got" the ticket.
The whole point of the "Notice of Impending Conviction" is to provide you notification of recieving a ticket in the event that the ticket does blow away. If you missed the due date on the Impending Conviction, then it will be the additional $16, and you can pay it at the parking office. If you are still before the due date then you can take it to court if you wish. When you get the notice in the mail it should indicate, the time, place and offence of when the ticket was issued.

GL
Aug 10, 2006
111 posts
Markham
Hi bmgraphix, first up thanks for giving us the low down on parking tickets. My father-in-law lives in a neighborhood that has a "too many cars on the street" problem and every once in a while Parking Enforcement (PE) comes along and goes on a ticketing spree. PE is probably called by one of the neighbors and sometimes our family gets tagged too. Since this is only a $15 ticket how do I take it to the JP and fight it? Also how do they know how long we've been there for? I don't think I saw them chalk the tires, do they do that anymore?

TIA, Rob.
Rob
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
robyyz wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 10:28 am
Hi bmgraphix, first up thanks for giving us the low down on parking tickets. My father-in-law lives in a neighborhood that has a "too many cars on the street" problem and every once in a while Parking Enforcement (PE) comes along and goes on a ticketing spree. PE is probably called by one of the neighbors and sometimes our family gets tagged too. Since this is only a $15 ticket how do I take it to the JP and fight it? Also how do they know how long we've been there for? I don't think I saw them chalk the tires, do they do that anymore?

TIA, Rob.

like i said in my post $15 are not worth it to go to court, you will never win a $15 ticket charge for 3 hour parking, my advice is put your car in your driveway, and not on the street, if there is no room on the driveway and there are alot of cars parking on the street talk to your Counsellor and get permit parking put out on the street. Just pay the ticket and move on. They either chalk the tires or record plates not sure as I don't know their procedures.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Court dates take anywhere between 6-8 months on average to recieve a court date. I have seen it where people have been waiting for more then 2 years, its just a process, but rest assured its not going away you will evenutally get your court date.
What about using Askov's ruling? Have you seen it applied and worked?
5) If you have a GREENP Parking Receipt, valid for the time you received the ticket, your ticket states the following offence then your ticket can be cancelled.
The poor souls in front of my office building can't read signs and always park in front of the pole where you can't park. They even pay for a ticket. What if after getting a ticket, someone backed up their car behind the pole where it is valid to park and take a picture of their car and the sign. Can they get away with this as evidence in court? Just curious. :)
This space for rent
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12208 posts
102 upvotes
So where can scooters park for free?

And is Green P parking free after 5 on weekdays, but not on weekends?
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Mr Nobody wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 11:48 am
What about using Askov's ruling? Have you seen it applied and worked?

The poor souls in front of my office building can't read signs and always park in front of the pole where you can't park. They even pay for a ticket. What if after getting a ticket, someone backed up their car behind the pole where it is valid to park and take a picture of their car and the sign. Can they get away with this as evidence in court? Just curious. :)
With regards to Askov's ruling, someone on the forum already provided the answer
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=345338
its the 2nd post

The way it usually works is when you get to court the prosecutor will ask you if you want to plead guilty, if you plead guilty the judge will issue you a lower fine, not that much lower. If you plead not guilty, the judge will look at the evidence and make a ruling, usually you can't get away with pictures of your car moved back, unless the camera time stamps you there during the valid time it MIGHT work not to sure
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
originalnutta wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 11:54 am
So where can scooters park for free?

And is Green P parking free after 5 on weekdays, but not on weekends?

I am not sure about scooters, I have never seen a parking ticket on a scooter before so I would not know. GreenP parking is only free if the sign posted says its free, every area is different.
Aug 17, 2008
854 posts
245 upvotes
bmgraphix wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 9:37 am

COURT

A Toronto star article from last June, suggested that if you apply for a court date, you likely won't ever get a date for a $30 parking ticket.

From the article:

"Anyone who receives a $30 Toronto parking ticket can almost certainly dodge the fine by applying for a court date"

"Chronic shortage of courtrooms and justices of the peace has forced court services to 'prioritize cases' that make it to court"

"with about 600,000 charges heard annually in city courts, the enormous number of trail requests for $30 tickets - the most frequently issued ticket -- is a 'pretty low' priority, says court services director Barry Randell."

The article suggests that only about 4,300 trail dates have been issued for over 250,000 requests since 2006 from drivers to contest $30 parking tickets, and that the backlog is getting larger.

Has the situation changed dramatically since last year?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
bmgraphix wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 12:05 pm
With regards to Askov's ruling, someone on the forum already provided the answer
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=345338
its the 2nd post
Which begs the next question: What reason will the judge give for no longer accepting Askov's ruling as precidence? "We are backlogged, so your constitutational right has been waived"? ;)
bmgraphix wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 12:05 pm
The way it usually works is when you get to court the prosecutor will ask you if you want to plead guilty, if you plead guilty the judge will issue you a lower fine, not that much lower. If you plead not guilty, the judge will look at the evidence and make a ruling, usually you can't get away with pictures of your car moved back, unless the camera time stamps you there during the valid time it MIGHT work not to sure
We can tweak the camera time stamps. :twisted: Someone please try this and report back. :D
This space for rent
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
111 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
multimut wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 1:36 pm
A Toronto star article from last June, suggested that if you apply for a court date, you likely won't ever get a date for a $30 parking ticket.

From the article:

"Anyone who receives a $30 Toronto parking ticket can almost certainly dodge the fine by applying for a court date"

"Chronic shortage of courtrooms and justices of the peace has forced court services to 'prioritize cases' that make it to court"

"with about 600,000 charges heard annually in city courts, the enormous number of trail requests for $30 tickets - the most frequently issued ticket -- is a 'pretty low' priority, says court services director Barry Randell."

The article suggests that only about 4,300 trail dates have been issued for over 250,000 requests since 2006 from drivers to contest $30 parking tickets, and that the backlog is getting larger.

Has the situation changed dramatically since last year?

you shouldnt always count on the paper for accurate statements. though its true there is a large amount of trial dates, you will certainly see a court date, where it be within the year or the next you will see it. the city had recently opened a brand new court house so it actually should be getting better

was reading an article in the paper about the strike lines, they said it would take 4-5 hours to do a parking ticket. that was totally incorrect, the lines were 10-30 mins max the large line was for parking tickets, goes to show that the paper isn't always accurate
Mar 29, 2009
689 posts
13 upvotes
San Francisco
I got a freaking ticket for $100, $100 DOLLARS for parking near a damn fire hydrant. WTF I mean the hydrant blended right into the background, it was not visible because it was about 1m from the sidewalk and I was parked a good 2-3m away from it. I am waiting for my court case.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2277 posts
87 upvotes
i'm starting to get some court dates for really old tickets (over 1 year).

for a parking ticket, if you request disclosure and they do not provide it, at the trial is that grounds for a stay or mistrial? should you follow up on the request or is that the prosecutors responsibility? i have proof of the requests.

also, if the court date is for a really old ticket (over 1 year old) and i want to file an 11b motion, should i go through the entire process (serve the prosecutor, attorney general, and court) or can i just walk into the court room and talk to the judge?

finally, can you appeal a charge in court? since this is municipal court, can it be appealed to a higher court?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3545 posts
305 upvotes
Gofishus wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 5:10 pm
I got a freaking ticket for $100, $100 DOLLARS for parking near a damn fire hydrant. WTF I mean the hydrant blended right into the background, it was not visible because it was about 1m from the sidewalk and I was parked a good 2-3m away from it. I am waiting for my court case.
I'm just curious what colour is the hydrant? Was it transparent? parking in front of a fire hydrant is serious for obvious reasons.

Hope you took a pic to prove it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel