Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1549 posts
65 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: We could do that but that's still just closing the barn door after the horses have already gotten out. By enforcing before the snow falls we get more vehicles off the road so we don't have to waste as much time digging them out and then towing them when the snow does arrive.
Fair enough, I see your point... but do you see my argument as well - your argument sounds like it would be ok for cops to suddenly start tasering people who are not co-operating with a simple inquiry on the street or when asked a question just to get them "trained" for later on, if they ever decide to resist an arrest or something.

Legally, I get it, the law is there, tag them and tow them, sure. But logically, you gotta ask yourself "why?"... oh well, I'll drop it, don't care that much (got a street parking permit already for 24 hour parking, so...)
Feb 4, 2009
3 posts
Hi,

I'm just confirming that if a parking ticket officer writes the wrong car name on your ticket for example if it was a nissan and he puts pontiac instead. given that the car name is clearly on the car. does that warrant the ticket being cancelled.

Facts.
- licence plate number is correct.
- car model was indicated as Toyota instead of Mazda, eventhough on the back of the Car it say "Mazda". the back of the care is where the office needs to look to get the sticker information anyways right?

I saw your earlier listing as this being a valid reason but just making sure.

thanks for all your help in advance.

jr
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
fantom wrote: Fair enough, I see your point...
Thanks. :rolleyes:
fantom wrote: but do you see my argument as well -
No, not really.
fantom wrote: your argument sounds like it would be ok for cops to suddenly start tasering people who are not co-operating with a simple inquiry on the street or when asked a question just to get them "trained" for later on, if they ever decide to resist an arrest or something.
That is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard. You are actually comparing a $35 parking ticket to a gross violation of a person's civil liberties? You are a complete tool if you actually believe that. In the last month that we have been enforcing the 2-6 by-law we have noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of vehicles left out on the street overnight. This proves that people are learning and all it took was a gentle nudge in the form of a $35 ticket. Much more efficient and effective than tagging somebody for $50 (Obstructing) and then towing their car for another $140. If I left my car out on the street I would much rather deal with the former than the latter. So would most other people.
fantom wrote: Legally, I get it, the law is there, tag them and tow them, sure. But logically, you gotta ask yourself "why?"... oh well, I'll drop it, don't care that much (got a street parking permit already for 24 hour parking, so...)
Mississauga doesn't have street parking permits.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
FlashEngineer wrote: While your answers to this person's questions may be valid and legally and technically sound, again you aren't addressing the logical issue at hand.
It seems to me that you only find logic in things that work in your favour. If they don't then obviously something must be wrong because surely you couldn't possibly be mistaken. :rolleyes:
FlashEngineer wrote: I hope you agree with me and say, not ALL laws that are passed into being active are absolutely 100% correct in terms of being logical/ethical or just plain making sense. Hence the one about the 2-6am, yeah you give your argument about general street cleaning and your "provisions". But honestly, on a nice day without any rain or snow, what does it hurt anyone to park. If it's snowing sure, but regardless you think giving tickets out to people before it snows will make a change. You've been in this occupation long enough to know there are ALWAYS people parking weather it's snowing or blizzard or whatever weather conditions. So why grief people more? Of course its' the "law" and plus government wants the extra money involved. Politics.
It is true that some laws may be flawed or even outright illogical, the No Parking 2am-6am by-law isn't one of them. Most, if not all, large municipalities in the province have some variation of it. If it were truly unfair, somebody would have challenged it successfully in a court of law and it would have been stricken down. That in turn would have set a precedent across the province and people could park on the street at night without getting tagged. Obviously that has not happened and since it's been in effect for decades in most cities, it probably never will. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically make it unfair or illogical. There are some laws that I don't agree with and if I can find a reason not to enforce them, I don't. However in the case of the "2-6" I have had to personally deal with the headaches that NOT having this law in place causes and I am finding out first hand that things are actually better with it on the books.
FlashEngineer wrote: One thing I don't understand is, why the laws made can't be more flexible or more complex instead of being such a static thing.
They're laws. They are not supposed to be flexible. They are like that so that enforcement is carried out equally and without bias. While I do have some small discretion as to how I go about enforcing some laws, the No Parking 2am-6am by-law is pretty straight forward.
FlashEngineer wrote: Sure the 60km/hr speed limit seems valid but if it's snowing 6 inches, I don't think going 60km/hr is safe for any vehicle. But yet it's legal right? Doesn't make sense. Laws should be more flexible and complex with more situational based rules.
You don't think the laws in this country are complex enough? You obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and that statement proves it. Incidentally, there are laws on the books to deal with people who drive too fast in poor weather even if they don't exceed the speed limit. Those people can be charged with careless driving. Is that complex and flexible enough for you?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
robertson_jake wrote: Hi,

I'm just confirming that if a parking ticket officer writes the wrong car name on your ticket for example if it was a nissan and he puts pontiac instead. given that the car name is clearly on the car. does that warrant the ticket being cancelled.

Facts.
- licence plate number is correct.
- car model was indicated as Toyota instead of Mazda, eventhough on the back of the Car it say "Mazda". the back of the care is where the office needs to look to get the sticker information anyways right?

I saw your earlier listing as this being a valid reason but just making sure.

thanks for all your help in advance.

jr
As long as the plate number is correct the error on the face of the ticket, in this case the make of the vehicle, can be amended in court by the prosecution.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1549 posts
65 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: That is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard. You are actually comparing a $35 parking ticket to a gross violation of a person's civil liberties? You are a complete tool if you actually believe that. In the last month that we have been enforcing the 2-6 by-law we have noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of vehicles left out on the street overnight. This proves that people are learning and all it took was a gentle nudge in the form of a $35 ticket. Much more efficient and effective than tagging somebody for $50 (Obstructing) and then towing their car for another $140. If I left my car out on the street I would much rather deal with the former than the latter. So would most other people.
I see... that's all you had to say. And no need to resort to calling each other tools, k? Geez...
Apr 14, 2004
308 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Heres my question, I got a $30 city of toronto ticket in a toronto community housing complex parking lot. There are no machines, you go to a tenant representative and get a pass with the information hand written on it (which I did). Its a very simple pass, just a piece of paper, almost like a photocopy. I parked in visitors parking like I am supposed to. I had the pass displayed clearly on the dash. I have done this process for years there and never had a problem. I park there maybe twice a month. The pass is supposed to be valid overnight until noon, but I got the ticket at about 1am when I was leaving.

If I take this to one of the 4 locations on the back of the ticket, can the office staff there cancel it if I take in the ticket and the valid pass? The pass is so simple though, no signatures, and not computerized by any means - not like a Green P pass at all. Or would I have to go to court? I cant be bothered with that, and dont have that kind of time. I dont like the principle when someone is innocent. Also the ticket on it says VP PP in the bottom box where the $ is. What is that? Its my first ticket ever, so I have no clue how this works.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
sandman804 wrote: Heres my question, I got a $30 city of toronto ticket in a toronto community housing complex parking lot. There are no machines, you go to a tenant representative and get a pass with the information hand written on it (which I did). Its a very simple pass, just a piece of paper, almost like a photocopy. I parked in visitors parking like I am supposed to. I had the pass displayed clearly on the dash. I have done this process for years there and never had a problem. I park there maybe twice a month. The pass is supposed to be valid overnight until noon, but I got the ticket at about 1am when I was leaving.

If I take this to one of the 4 locations on the back of the ticket, can the office staff there cancel it if I take in the ticket and the valid pass? The pass is so simple though, no signatures, and not computerized by any means - not like a Green P pass at all. Or would I have to go to court? I cant be bothered with that, and dont have that kind of time. I dont like the principle when someone is innocent. Also the ticket on it says VP PP in the bottom box where the $ is. What is that? Its my first ticket ever, so I have no clue how this works.
If it was a hand written ticket, you were likely tagged by a security guard certified to issue them. Take the ticket to the property management and they can contact the security company about getting it canceled. Keep records of who you talked to, when and what was said as well as copies of the ticket and the permit. The security company can request a supervisor review of the ticket from Toronto Parking Enforcement and determine if it warrants cancellation. If you had a valid permit issued by property management it will probably get canceled. The "VP" code you mentioned just refers to the location on the property where you were tagged. VP= Visitor Parking, LZ= Loading Zone, RP= Reserved Parking, etc.
Dec 7, 2009
8 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

I received a parking ticket back in nov 2008. It was a $30.00 ticket. Anyways, I set a trial date and in dec 2009, I received a notice of trial for January 2010. I set the court date, hoping that my ticket would get "lost" in the back log. ALAS!!..that was not the case.

I don't want to bother going to court now and I was wondering if I could pay the ticket online?. I did punch in the number A______ and it said that the set fine was 30 + 1.50 = 31.50. If I pay it online..do I still have to go to court?

What if I paid it online right now? and did not attend court? .. would I have to pay the fine and court costs again?

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
No, you can pay it now and be done with it. Don't go to court, no court fees will be added.

You may be able to file an 11b claim though as it's been 14 months until your trial date...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
wookie304 wrote: Hello,

I received a parking ticket back in nov 2008. It was a $30.00 ticket. Anyways, I set a trial date and in dec 2009, I received a notice of trial for January 2010. I set the court date, hoping that my ticket would get "lost" in the back log. ALAS!!..that was not the case.

I don't want to bother going to court now and I was wondering if I could pay the ticket online?. I did punch in the number A______ and it said that the set fine was 30 + 1.50 = 31.50. If I pay it online..do I still have to go to court?

What if I paid it online right now? and did not attend court? .. would I have to pay the fine and court costs again?

Thank you
Since you have already requested and received a trial date, you simply cannot pay it now and be done with it like another poster suggested. Certainly not online, anyways. If you paid it online today and skipped your court date in January, sometime in February or March you will likely receive in the mail a Notice of Conviction and fine due date even though you already paid the ticket. All the system will show is that you paid an outstanding parking ticket and no further action will be taken by the automated payment system. That includes notifying the courts that a trial is no longer necessary. Imagine the headache from trying to prove that you already paid the ticket. You will eventually be successful but why make your own life more difficult? Your best bet to deal with this is to attend one of the four Parking Tag Operations offices and explain to them what you want to do. If they let you pay it and are able to cancel the trial, great, if not then you have to go to court as you originally planned. What you do once you get there is up to you.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote: No, you can pay it now and be done with it. Don't go to court, no court fees will be added.
Wrong. See my reply above for an explanation.
Dec 7, 2009
8 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Fox1971 wrote: Since you have already requested and received a trial date, you simply cannot pay it now and be done with it like another poster suggested. Certainly not online, anyways. If you paid it online today and skipped your court date in January, sometime in February or March you will likely receive in the mail a Notice of Conviction and fine due date even though you already paid the ticket. All the system will show is that you paid an outstanding parking ticket and no further action will be taken by the automated payment system. That includes notifying the courts that a trial is no longer necessary. Imagine the headache from trying to prove that you already paid the ticket. You will eventually be successful but why make your own life more difficult? Your best bet to deal with this is to attend one of the four Parking Tag Operations offices and explain to them what you want to do. If they let you pay it and are able to cancel the trial, great, if not then you have to go to court as you originally planned. What you do once you get there is up to you.
Thank you for the response.. I will attend one of the parking tag offices
Dec 8, 2009
17 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I received a $60 parking ticket in Scarborough for "STOP ON/OVER SIDEWALK/FOOTPATH" Code No. 30. I forward parked at the end of my parent's driveway overnight and was partially over the sidewalk. Should I pay this ticket or is there any way of fighting it?
Dec 6, 2009
25 posts
2 upvotes
THX for the initial informative first post.

A question, not proposed as of yet:

Are "Unassumed Roads" subject to Parking Tickets? Got tagged w/ a 3 hour ticket on an Unassumed road, like that of a development / construction area.

$15, but still it is $15 + dozens & dozens of cars get tagged.

THX
Dec 6, 2009
25 posts
2 upvotes
As a side note just to clarify, as it was not exactly addressed:

Wrong License Plate number - The plate is B, ticket tagged as S.

Do I even have to bother?
And should I feel bad for to whoever that ticket gets sent to?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
ebelis wrote: I received a $60 parking ticket in Scarborough for "STOP ON/OVER SIDEWALK/FOOTPATH" Code No. 30. I forward parked at the end of my parent's driveway overnight and was partially over the sidewalk. Should I pay this ticket or is there any way of fighting it?
Pay it or see post #110.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
23G wrote: THX for the initial informative first post.

A question, not proposed as of yet:

Are "Unassumed Roads" subject to Parking Tickets? Got tagged w/ a 3 hour ticket on an Unassumed road, like that of a development / construction area.

$15, but still it is $15 + dozens & dozens of cars get tagged.

THX
Any public road is subject to enforcement even if it's unassumed. However, in Mississauga we don't generally do so unless curbs have been installed on the streets in question. I'm not sure what the policy is in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
23G wrote: As a side note just to clarify, as it was not exactly addressed:

Wrong License Plate number - The plate is B, ticket tagged as S.

Do I even have to bother?
It's your lucky day, it won't come back to you.
23G wrote: And should I feel bad for to whoever that ticket gets sent to?
You should feel a little bad. ;) However you're under no obligation to advise parking enforcement of the mistake.
Dec 6, 2009
25 posts
2 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: It's your lucky day, it won't come back to you.

You should feel a little bad. ;) However you're under no obligation to advise parking enforcement of the mistake.
Thx. Good to clarify, although I thought it was obvious. Good day Sir

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)