Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 6:17 pm
Jan 2, 2017
1 posts
Hi!

Made an account just to post and ask for advice. HELP please!
I was visiting my friends and parked in a neighborhood street with a 48 hr parking pass in downtown Toronto.
But, I didn't realize it was a ACCESSIBLE PARKING SPACE. There was no lines, just two signs with arrows.
The bigger issue is that there are 2 of these whopping 450$ tickets. They are exactly 24 hrs apart...
It was a honest mistake I just didn't see it. I know I don't have much of a case there, but I really can't afford to pay these tickets as a student.
I recieved my notice of trial. What should I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Please help! Thank you.

TLDR. broke student made a mistake and has two 450$ tickets to pay.
May 17, 2012
251 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
RobertS925356 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 12:50 am
Hi!

Made an account just to post and ask for advice. HELP please!
I was visiting my friends and parked in a neighborhood street with a 48 hr parking pass in downtown Toronto.
But, I didn't realize it was a ACCESSIBLE PARKING SPACE. There was no lines, just two signs with arrows.
The bigger issue is that there are 2 of these whopping 450$ tickets. They are exactly 24 hrs apart...
It was a honest mistake I just didn't see it. I know I don't have much of a case there, but I really can't afford to pay these tickets as a student.
I recieved my notice of trial. What should I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Please help! Thank you.

TLDR. broke student made a mistake and has two 450$ tickets to pay.
Seems like officers did it right on par being 24hrs apart.
Plea guilty to 1 and ask the other one to be dropped by the prosecutor (don't know if they can do it but its worth asking). Last time i was in Toronto parking Court Feb/Mar 2016 the judge specifically stated they no longer allowed to do anything about a fine and judge was giving people 6-12month to pay.
Sorry to say this but you might be on hook for $900 plus court fee. Also don't forger there are court fees when you take tickets to trial so it would be what ever judge says plus fees.
Jan 24, 2008
265 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Are there "unwritten" rules for Parking Enforcement to meet certain quotas?
Also, IMHO, Parking Enforcement officers seek easy targets, ie. unoccupied vehicles on side streets RATHER than occupied vehicles obstructing bike lanes, double parked on main streets, because of potential threat of confrontational drivers? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone else?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4793 posts
212 upvotes
Nwangmo wrote:
Dec 29th, 2016 11:29 am
Please help here.
I got a ticket for $40 PARK-SIGNED HWY-EXC PERMIT TIME from 15:10 to 16:17.

We park there all the time and never got a ticket all of a sudden this.

Please shed some lights. Thank you!
Need more details.

What does the sign say? Do you have a permit?

Seems like you need a permit to park during that time and you didn't have one.
Mar 11, 2007
76 posts
61 upvotes
I parked (less than 5 mins) on a residential sidestreet in downtown Toronto slightly onto the sidewalk because the opposite side parked cars were jutting out closer to the centre of the roadway due to ice on their side to prevent obstruction of traffic to pick up my elderly father. I placed my valid handicap sign clearly on the dashboard, to drive him to an appointment. The parking enforcement officer still placed a ticket (Stopover onto Sidewalk/Footpath) $150 fine while I was inside preparing my father for transport. Two days after, a few houses north along the same street, because there was no parking, a lone TORONTO POLICE CAR was parked over onto the same sidewalk just a few feet up...?? What the heck?. I took a photo that showed the Toronto Police Car parked 1/2 way onto the sidewalk (no lights/sirens). I went to the Toronto Parking Ticket office showing the photo and valid handicap permit. But I was told I had no case, that they would not cancel the ticket. Also, he told me that the Toronto Police Car would have been ticketed if it wasn't an emergency. Do I have a valid case? Should I bother going to court as the Toronto Parking Ticket agent was discouraging me? Thanks
Apr 23, 2014
554 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I recently got a parking ticket (City of Toronto yellow ticket) yesterday. I think I had parked for a few minutes longer than the prescribed time.

My question is- my car details is mentioned- but the parking infraction reason/code/amount is not marked. Shouldn't the infraction be mentioned in the ticket?

At the box where the comments should be- he/she has simply written NO (or NU)- tough to decipher it since the writing is really faded. This is not his/her initials because he/she has signed with a different initial (mentioning their officer number).

I initially thought it could be my lucky day, and just a warning without any fine. But then I realised, who am i kidding- if a person had taken the time to write a ticket with my car details and signed it, it can't be a warning.

What should be my next step? Should I call Toronto Parking and ask about the infraction?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2165 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
I got a ticket and my plate number is wrong. Payable?
Sep 13, 2011
908 posts
112 upvotes
i got a few outstanding parking tickets. when i go online to pay them, i can't. it doesn't give me an option to pay, is it because too long overdue? am i in trouble?
Jan 14, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
So I got a parking ticket on Dec 22 in Toronto and I submitted the dispute over email on Dec 22 itself. It is the 10th of Jan today and I have not heard back from the City. Does anyone know how long the city takes to reply for disputing parking tickets over email?

Thanks!
May 26, 2011
4 posts
VANCOUVER
I filled out an intent to appear with my name and I got a notice to appear with my dad's name and my nickname. I'm not sure how they got the names, maybe my insurance which is under my dad's name.

It would be nice to get off on a technicality because the court trial is stressing me out. I don't think it was entirely my fault because the signage wasn't clear. 2 other people tried to park there while I was looking at my ticket. It used to be a regular spot and now it is a handicapped loading zone but there is no road markings, just a little sticker on a sign that was one of many signs on the same post. I think the city should make it more visible that the space is reserved so the space is available as intended instead of taken 3-4 times a day by unknowing parkers.
Feb 3, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
Hi there,

I just logged in to the serviceontario website to apply for a plate sticker renewal.
Under defaulted fines, there's an outstanding balance of $86.

A few things:
1) I never received a parking ticket (yellow tag)
2) I never received a 'Notice of Pending Conviction' in the mail
3) I never received a 'Default of Fines' notice either

The serviceontario website contains no information regarding the outstanding amount, so I have absolutely no idea what this is even for?!

Any help?
May 17, 2012
251 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Fishee wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 1:01 pm
Hi there,

I just logged in to the serviceontario website to apply for a plate sticker renewal.
Under defaulted fines, there's an outstanding balance of $86.

A few things:
1) I never received a parking ticket (yellow tag)
2) I never received a 'Notice of Pending Conviction' in the mail
3) I never received a 'Default of Fines' notice either

The serviceontario website contains no information regarding the outstanding amount, so I have absolutely no idea what this is even for?!

Any help?
I heard (information not confirmed) but if you go in person to service ontario they might be able to tell you.
Jan 21, 2009
299 posts
hi guys two days ago i parked at the spot at my friends apartment and i never knew there was a sign there
but it was a fire exit which i cant even see and i got a ticket for $240 and i was so pissed : (
if i take it to court do u think they will reduce it to half atleast?
Oct 16, 2008
860 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys,

Accidentally put in the wrong license plate on my car when i was using the Green P app.... I paid and everything but I guess since the license plate in the app didn't match the (incorrect) plate number I put in their system.... I got a ticket.

Can this be fought? Never got a ticket before so would appreciate any help!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)