Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2017 6:08 pm
Feb 12, 2017
1 posts
Need advice,
So I just received a parking ticket for $50 for "Code No. 5- Park- Signed Highway - During Prohibited (Day/Time) on Alexander St which is a small side street off of Church St. Now I'm aware that this infraction is in regard to the sign that essentially reads no parking at anytime, but RIGHT beside that sign was another that said I could park there but for only 10 minutes (it's right outside of a school so I'm assuming that's why they allow 10 minutes). I left my car at appx. 8:40pm on a Sunday night and was back in my car by 9:00pm sharp, and the only time my ticket reads is 8:55pm. Should I pay a $50 ticket for leaving my car for 20 minutes in a spot that allows for 10 minutes of parking? Im not sure if it even has any relevance, but this was on a Sunday night following a snowstorm.
Feb 16, 2017
1 posts
I have tons of unpaid parking tickets that have had the administration fee of $56 added, so I guess it's too late to be able to re-open any of them. Is that correct? Also why are they adding $16 in court costs even though I haven't bothered disputing any of them for them to end up in court?

My question: can I just get new plates and sticker under an incorporated company, and register my next vehicle to the company? And then get insurance for the vehicle under the company name? Pros/cons?
Jun 17, 2010
17 posts
I was at a friend's place last night in Richmond Hill and when I left at about 2:30 am, I noticed a parking ticket for $75 on my windshield. It is for parking on a street between 1am-7am. Neither my friend nor me had any idea that parking ticket would be issued on a weekend.
It's a relatively new sub division near King Road and Bathurst. Can I fight this or just pay the fine?
Thanks in advance.
Nov 24, 2007
114 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I am just angry at the parking ticket I got today. Normally I would not fight a parking ticket but here is the story.

Got into TTC parking lot at Finch after prepaying $5. No parking available and after circling the parking lot for 20-25 minutes, I was getting late for my meeting in downtown so I parked at a spot which was unmarked, not fire access, not disabled and not hindering anyone. I had put a note in dash-board that I did not find a parking spot so I parked. Found 2 other people who just parked the car around me since they too did not get a parking spot. In all there were about 15 cars who could not find the parking. I exchanged phone numbers with the other two persons for witness purposes. Came back from downtown and saw a $30 ticket with "park vehicle on Municipal parking without consent".

If parking lot is full TTC should not allow more people to come in. It seems like a money grab. It seems like the most expensive parking $5+$30 = $35. I am thinking of fighting the ticket and if they do not reduce the fine, I will request an interpreter. Sorry, for my rant but I am just annoyed since I was better off just taking my car downtown.
Sep 24, 2006
749 posts
26 upvotes
Anyone receive a response lately from the disputes email? I got the auto reply saying up to 2 weeks right after I sent but today is exactly 2 weeks and ya dunno what is taking so long... Haven't paid waiting for the notice of impending and this email reply if it doesn't work will pay...
Feb 25, 2017
1 posts
Received a notice in the mail but thought it was junk mail. Opened the second one I received, stated parking fine was past due and cannot dispute the ticket now. Have to pay the fine when time to renew sticker. Problem is this enforcement officer must have wrote down the wrong plate number because I have never been on or even parked on the street ever. Not bitching bout the chance to dispute because it was my fault for not opening the mail. However how the hell can you prove you were never even in that area in case this crap happens again. Anyone get a parking ticket for no reason.
Mar 4, 2017
1 posts
I got the same parking ticket at Dan Lackie and Fort york. Parking signs around the area said paid parking enforced till 9pm Monday to Friday and I parked car at 11 : 30 pm on Friday and ticket in-fracture time stated 12:06 am. I did not cross the 3 hour parking limit so I dont understand why I got the ticket. Should I take this to court?
Nov 19, 2005
797 posts
94 upvotes
is OP still responding to questions?

My question is, has any one asked for "costs" after successfully fighting a parking ticket? i know in other courts costs are awarded to winning party, not sure if any one has bothered to request costs. in family courts, courts have awarded $100/hr to self reps ... so you could potentially come out far ahead if you end up winning.
Jan 23, 2017
4 posts
I got a traffic ticket for parking on a metered street parking after 4
Sign says not to park between 4 pm and 6pm that is during rush hour.
I did display my disability parking permit.
Ticket is for $150 and that hurts .
What are my options ?
Mar 13, 2017
2 posts
Hi guys. I got a ticket on queen st w on the other day for STAND VEHICLE - SIGNED HIGHWAY - TRANSIT STOP ZONE.
I'm new to Canada (from New Zealand), so I parked there and looked everywhere for signs to see if I could park there (I was about a street cars length away from the shelter), I didn't see any signs to say I couldn't park there.

Does anyone know the rules around parking near transit stop zones? Do I have a shot at defending against this ticket in court? Thanks!
May 17, 2012
250 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
rio1960 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 2:06 am
What are my options ?
Handicap Permit dose not excuse from that kind of parking violation.
Take it to court, request disclosure. You will most likely be offered a reduction- in fine.
That being said you will not need to attend court twice (1st time to file for court date and disclosure, 2nd time for the day of your trial)
Or see if you can fight it online.(never don't that but herd that process is starting and makes life easier to fight tickets)
Nov 19, 2005
797 posts
94 upvotes
AnthonyB822668 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:02 pm
Hi guys. I got a ticket on queen st w on the other day for STAND VEHICLE - SIGNED HIGHWAY - TRANSIT STOP ZONE.
I'm new to Canada (from New Zealand), so I parked there and looked everywhere for signs to see if I could park there (I was about a street cars length away from the shelter), I didn't see any signs to say I couldn't park there.

Does anyone know the rules around parking near transit stop zones? Do I have a shot at defending against this ticket in court? Thanks!
if you were in the transit zone then chances of winning are low, stopping/parking in transit, fire, handicapped zone are taken very seriously here.
Mar 13, 2017
2 posts
Thanks for the reply. When we parked we couldn't see any signs to say it was a transit zone, or a handicapped zone. As someone who is not from here, how am I supposed to know if it wasn't sign posted?
Oct 29, 2006
709 posts
234 upvotes
rio1960 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 2:06 am
What are my options ?
You sure the sign wasn't for no STOPPING between 4pm and 6pm? That's what the rush hour signs usually say. If that's the case, then your ticket is valid.
Last edited by philharmonic on Mar 15th, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6907 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
AnthonyB822668 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:06 pm
Thanks for the reply. When we parked we couldn't see any signs to say it was a transit zone, or a handicapped zone. As someone who is not from here, how am I supposed to know if it wasn't sign posted?
Post a link exactly where you got the ticket using google streetview. I think if you show it we can figure out why you got it and where the sign was.

The signs are posted, however it could be farther then you think, or occasionally faded or removed/knocked out unintentionally during the cities never ending construction. Fighting tickets used to be worth it even if you were guilty, not as much anymore.

You'll likely need to knock this ticket out of the travel budget unfortunately my kiwi friend. I've lived here most of my life and I got burned by a pretty nasty faded sign in the most industrial unpopulated areas of Toronto.

you might want to check out www.greenp.com and park in off street lots. They usually have specials after 6 pm that are really low, like $6 for 6pm-6am at city hall. Really can't be beat. There is tons of free parking on the streets of Toronto, but you need to be very careful.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel