Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Jan 4, 2009
118 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
rayray913 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2010 9:56 pm
searched on the net and find out a docments: Current Parking Ticket Cancellation Guidelines. and from the documents, one paragraph says:

4.0 CHANGE-OVER DATES - GPR
(Applies to regular and temporary permits)
Normal grace period is from 9:00pm the previous evening and extends to 9:00am of next morning. Give consideration for either side of the street during this 12-hour period. However, use judgement in this regard. For example, if tag issued is prior to noon and prior infraction history is minimal, then consideration to withdraw should be made after an explanation of the guidelines is given.

so what should I do when I go to the office, do I just need to mention this Guidelines and my reasons and asking for cancellation?

Any help would be appreciated!!
!

From what I understand this is still currently a valid document with guidelines that the Parking Ticket office staff use to decide if they can cancel a ticket or not. So it definitely will be to your advantage to mention it and have a copy there to point out the specific guideline to them. If they try to give you a run-around and tell you that the only thing you can do is request a trial to fight the ticket, be firm but polite, and ask them to cancel the ticket as per the guideline in the document. Ask to speak to their supervisor if necessary. Hopefully they'll be fair and will just follow the guideline when you point it out.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3112 posts
484 upvotes
Whitedart wrote:
Sep 6th, 2010 9:30 pm
What was the date, time and offence on the ticket?
Fox1971 guessed right. It was a Friday night in August around 9:30pm
Fox1971 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2010 11:54 pm
The signs are very clearly posted and if you read each of them one at a time you shouldn't have had a problem. You said you were parked Friday night to the right of the pole, correct? You didn't provide the exact time you were ticketed or for what offence but I'm going to guess that you were ticketed for "Stand Vehicle during prohibited days/times". The sign posted on the left side of the pole in the picture you linked to says "No Standing Apr 1-Nov 31 6pm-Midnight Mon-Fri". That time frame covers the entire month of August, the night of the week, Friday, and the prohibited times, you said it was night so I'm guessing it was after 6pm and before midnight when you were ticketed and towed. The arrows at the bottom of the sign indicate that the conditions listed apply to vehicles to both the left and right of the pole that the sign is attached to so it doesn't matter which side you parked on. I suspect you did what a lot of people do and just read the bottom sign indicating that Pay & Display Parking was carried out Mon-Fri 930am-330pm. That's where you probably stopped reading and assumed you were safe from enforcement. You were ticketed properly and if you take that picture to court thinking it will help you, you are wrong. All you will be doing is handing the prosecutor even more evidence he can use to convict you. The officer's notes will have detailed the position of the signs and what they said and he may even have pictures of his own to back him up. Bottom line is this: you screwed up and you are not going to win this case unless the officer fails to appear to give evidence and that is highly unlikely to happen.

I'm not disputing the fact that I didn't comply with the parking regulations. The signage may make perfect sense to you Mr. (or Ms.) Fox, but the rest of the citizens do not live and breathe parking regulations for a living. So you may be smart enough and have enough experience to know when to you can park in certain areas like here http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... ronto.aspx, but generally, the rest of us would probably agree that parking rules should be simpler.

And my question was whether the court would provide any leniency given the complexity of the parking instructions here... not whether I "screwed up".
Jan 4, 2009
118 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 12:02 pm
And my question was whether the court would provide any leniency given the complexity of the parking instructions here... not whether I "screwed up".

Based on my own experiences and observations fighting my own parking tickets, the only real leniency I ever see from the courts comes in the form of reduced fines for guilty pleas. In strictly legal terms it's a violation and any arguments that the signs/instructions are too complex or confusing wouldn't really enter into the case from a legal standpoint.

When you get to court the prosecutor will likely offer you a reduced fine if you plead guilty. I've seen it be as low as just 30% of the original fine but the actual amount will vary. If you decide to go ahead with this at some point during your trial after you enter your plea the Justice of the Peace will ask you if you have anything else to say or add. You could respectfully make a pitch then to reduce the fine even further based on an argument that the instructions are too complex. The JOP could reduce it even further if swayed by your statement or let it stand.

Or if you don't want to plead guilty and pay the likely reduced fine you can fight it using tactics others have posted about here or on sites such as ticketcombat.com
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3112 posts
484 upvotes
thansk chanman. the damage on the ticket itself isn't too bad.. $60.. compared to $180 for the tow/storage.. i was advised that i needed to get the ticket dropped to get refunded for the tow/storage.

i'll look into your suggestions though
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1787 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 12:53 pm
thansk chanman. the damage on the ticket itself isn't too bad.. $60.. compared to $180 for the tow/storage.. i was advised that i needed to get the ticket dropped to get refunded for the tow/storage.

i'll look into your suggestions though

chanman is right. those signs look OK to me so too bad you can't read them. there was a post a few months ago for parking on the opposite side of this street where there was no sign you could not park there at that time unless you walked 100m to the left. thats what I call challenging ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Fox1971 guessed right. It was a Friday night in August around 9:30pm
It wasn't hard to figure out.
poorwingman wrote:
I'm not disputing the fact that I didn't comply with the parking regulations. The signage may make perfect sense to you Mr. (or Ms.) Fox, but the rest of the citizens do not live and breathe parking regulations for a living.
But it appears you are disputing it on the grounds that the sign is too hard to understand. When you read a book or magazine do you read a whole page at a time or start at the top and read each sentence in order until you reach the bottom and turn the page? The same principal applies to street signs. Every day countless drivers have no trouble reading the signs and manage to park in downtown Toronto without getting a ticket. Don't generalize by claiming to know what "the rest of the citizens" are thinking because you are wrong.
poorwingman wrote:
So you may be smart enough and have enough experience to know when to you can park in certain areas like here http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... ronto.aspx, but generally, the rest of us would probably agree that parking rules should be simpler.
The signs depicted in that news story are crazy with restrictions when frankly I think a simpler sign would have been sufficient but that wasn't the case in your instance. The sign you posted the picture of was perfectly clear as I already explained. It has nothing to do with me being smart or having experience and everything to do with me being able to read and comprehend simple English. People are in such a hurry these days that they don't take the time to read carefully signs that could end up having an impact on their wallet. Instead they focus on the ones they think apply to them and ignore everything else instead of taking a few seconds to read each one carefully. I figured this much out from living in Toronto for most of my life and long before I started working as a parking officer. All you have to do is read each condition one at a time and ask yourself "Does that one apply right now?" It only would have taken a few seconds and saved you a huge hassle and expense. I agree that some parking rules are kind of complicated but that wasn't the case with you. Sorry, bub, you screwed up just like I said and blaming the signs won't change that once you get to court.
poorwingman wrote:
That's exactly what I did. I guess my answer was like a street parking sign.
Sep 25, 2008
23 posts
asdf
hi all,

I just received a massive parking ticket today ($450) while visiting the Toronto western hospital. Everything was packed but I found a spot on one of the side streets where there was a sign that said no parking between 8am to 6pm, which I didn't really read properly since I was in a rush (this was around 9:30am). But that's not what I'm trying to fight. There was another sign under this that was blocked by a tree branch which was for disabled parking. I'd be willing to pay for the no parking but in no way was the disabled parking sign visible. I have a picture of the sign (not sure how to post it) and it's fairly clear the sign is blocked. Let me know what you all think. I'm not looking to get everything knocked off but I just don't think it's fair to ticket me for a sign that was not visible.

thanks.
Sep 8, 2010
3 posts
286 cook rd
my boyfriend just got a parking ticket for $100 for parking by a fire hydrant. it was kinda our fault that we didnt see it there. however, the fire hydrant is located on a house's lawn at the Village at York University. now, reading the threats from before, i have realized that it is now allowed to issue parking tickets on private roads in townhouse or condo complexes, the village is composed of townhouse complexes. was it right for the parking officer to issue the parking ticket? is it worth it to fight it in court? help muchly appreciated.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
fencejack wrote:
Sep 8th, 2010 11:17 pm
hi all,

I just received a massive parking ticket today ($450) while visiting the Toronto western hospital. Everything was packed but I found a spot on one of the side streets where there was a sign that said no parking between 8am to 6pm, which I didn't really read properly since I was in a rush (this was around 9:30am). But that's not what I'm trying to fight. There was another sign under this that was blocked by a tree branch which was for disabled parking. I'd be willing to pay for the no parking but in no way was the disabled parking sign visible. I have a picture of the sign (not sure how to post it) and it's fairly clear the sign is blocked. Let me know what you all think. I'm not looking to get everything knocked off but I just don't think it's fair to ticket me for a sign that was not visible.

thanks.

There were actually two Accessible Parking signs, one at either end of the spot. Even if one was blocked you should have seen the other one. By your own admission you didn't exercise due diligence when you parked because you were in a rush and now you are dealing with the consequences. If you try and fight the ticket with the "it wasn't fair" defense, you will lose.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
katitijani wrote:
Sep 9th, 2010 2:29 am
my boyfriend just got a parking ticket for $100 for parking by a fire hydrant. it was kinda our fault that we didnt see it there. however, the fire hydrant is located on a house's lawn at the Village at York University. now, reading the threats from before, i have realized that it is now allowed to issue parking tickets on private roads in townhouse or condo complexes, the village is composed of townhouse complexes. was it right for the parking officer to issue the parking ticket? is it worth it to fight it in court? help muchly appreciated.

Yes, it was right for the officer to issue the ticket. If your boyfriend received a ticket for parking within 3 meters of a fire hydrant then the vehicle was not parked on a private road or lane. That ticket is only issued to vehicles parked on public streets. If you try and fight the ticket, you will lose.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1097 posts
38 upvotes
hi
i had parked in UFT and the fare was valid till 7.40. i was late in returning back and got a yellow ticket @ 8 for failing to pay . what are my optins here.
Oct 11, 2006
969 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
junkone wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 10:14 am
hi
i had parked in UFT and the fare was valid till 7.40. i was late in returning back and got a yellow ticket @ 8 for failing to pay . what are my optins here.

1) Pay
2) Put it on court and try to lower it
3) Get dismissed if the cop doesn't show and you chose to challenge his evident

I don't see how you can properly fight off the ticket.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4034 posts
16684 upvotes
TORONTO
I just got a notice for a $30 parking ticket I had contested.

Date of infraction is >1 year (May 2009) and the date of the trial is set in NOV and this was processed in AUG.

This was a shopping mall that had no clear markings of which spots/side was authorized parking .. I dont think its a valid excuse but is not 100% my fault either.

Advice?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
anon_s wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 3:26 pm
I just got a notice for a $30 parking ticket I had contested.

Date of infraction is >1 year (May 2009) and the date of the trial is set in NOV and this was processed in AUG.

This was a shopping mall that had no clear markings of which spots/side was authorized parking .. I dont think its a valid excuse but is not 100% my fault either.

Advice?

Are you sure there were no signs? Parking enforcement will not issue tickets on private properties unless the proper signs are in place. I have personally dealt with many people who approached me with a ticket in their hand insisting that there were no signs posted only to walk away red-faced when I point out the signs clearly posted near the car. Prosecutors will make deals for reduced fines in exchange for guilty pleas. If you try to fight it, when you lose you'll be on the hook for the full fine plus possibly court costs.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Lumpy755 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 6:22 pm
Hey there. Same situation as a recent poster (anon s) - Received $30 parking ticket in June 2009, asked for court date to dispute and just received notification of a Dec 2010 court time. I was rolling the dice that the ticket would get lost in the bureaucracy and the city wouldn't chase me down for $30.00. Snake eyes on that but thems the breaks. I have no creative defense or loopholes to pull out of my back pocket - I did what the ticket said I did.

Gambling is for suckers.
Lumpy755 wrote:
Question - Can I pay the ticket now and be done with it

Yes.
Lumpy755 wrote:
or am I locked into attending the hearing?

No.
Lumpy755 wrote:
What if I don't show to court - would they tack "admin fees" onto the original fine and what might those look like in?

Absolutely. In your case that would probably be an additional $12.75.
Lumpy755 wrote:
Finally - What's the likelihood of the court reducing my fine the day of the proceeding with a "guilty with explanation" type plea?
99.9% unless you acted like a dick to the PEO.
Lumpy755 wrote:
Appreciate your advice. Thanks!
You're welcome.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)