• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2012 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 5, 2008
45 posts
1 upvote

[Merged] Bad experience with Comwave

I just had a discussion with Comwave guys. I had signed up a NO-CONTRACT home phone plan for 20 bucks a month with 3 months free trial period.

Now after 3 months have expired, i decided the service was not good enough and i wanted to get rid of it. But i was told by customer service that I am on a 3 year contracts and I would be charged a cancellation fee of approx 750 dollars!!! i.e. 20 dollar plus tax for for each month of 3 years.

I had specfically asked on phone for no contracts since i didn't want to bind myself for any term as I might have to move soon. The customer service rep said they could do nothing else as it was in the fine print of invoices that this is a 3 year contract.

I am totally livid with these people. Anyways, i just wish to let others know about this and think twice before sigining with this company. Total scam. don't go by advertised discounted prices.
34 replies
Apr 23, 2009
888 posts
51 upvotes
Sounds like you signed a contract for 3 years and got the first 3 months free for signing that contract. Next time, read the fine print before you sign something.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2200 posts
451 upvotes
Lethbridge
We've been over this time and time again. In short, yes you got ****ed & yes, the sales guy screwed you by telling you something that was not. But it's still all on you for signing the documents in the end.

Also, I would like to point out:
rookie_cdn wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 2:50 pm
i decided the service was not good enough and i wanted to get rid of it.
rookie_cdn wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 2:50 pm
I might have to move soon

Contradictory rant is contradictory.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8214 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
Google just told me you aren't the first one to get scammed. Shoulda used it before signing up, not after.
Feb 23, 2010
89 posts
Well been using comwave's long distance for 2 yrs = never any problem

My sis had their home phone for 3 yrs = no major problems except minor technical issues

So yes, you have to be aware dealing with these companies like comwave, vonage but IMO they provide a service in a highly competitive market.
Banned
Nov 19, 2010
519 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Frugampion wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:04 pm

My sis had their home phone for 3 yrs = no major problems except minor technical issues

So yes, you have to be aware dealing with these companies like comwave, vonage but IMO they provide a service in a highly competitive market.

Did they also lied to you?

OP, this is why I always record my phone calls when I make a verbal contract over the phone, when they come up with bullcrap like this I play the recording to a manager/supervisor and tell him I'm going to contact a lawyer.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
45 posts
1 upvote
Well, i do read stuff before signing..but this was like we all know "on the phone" sign up. The emails they sent after signing up had a fine print about 3 years contract. Well even a Robbers charge only 400 dollars for cancellation of contract. Is there anything that can be done in this situation..any suggestions.

And I am not doing any contradictory rants, i had plans to move, that is why i didnt want to sign contracts. And they had 6 months free for a 3 year contract and 3 months without contract but at a higher price per month after that and ofcourse upfront admin cost that i paid.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
45 posts
1 upvote
Frugampion wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:04 pm

Well you have been lucky with their service. I think their phone service for the price is tolerable. Try calling their customer service sometime. I believe the idea is...to put the guy in contract, if he realizes and calls back to correct, its fine, we apologies for error, otherwise u might have a customer down for years..win win.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7024 posts
663 upvotes
GTA
Ellen Roseman in the Toronto Star did a story last week on Comwave and a similar story regarding a customer not knowing they were in a contract. I don't like the idea of being bound to a contract without signing anything. Even if reps are supposed to "verbally" advise people of the contract, do they do so? Who knows without paperwork.

http://www.thestar.com/article/897534-- ... fine-print

Tessie Guerra wanted to save money on her home phone bill. She set up an account with Comwave Telecommunications for $20 a month, including unlimited long-distance calls in Canada.

She cancelled seven months later, since she couldn’t transmit orders from her phone to her employer’s head office. That’s when she learned she had a three-year contract.

Comwave uses a technology known as VOIP (voice over internet protocol), which requires dependable internet service to work properly.

“We’re similar to wireless carriers, which all have three-year terms,” says Abe Benitah, vice-president of Toronto-based Comwave.

Company agents are trained to tell customers they’ll go into a contract automatically after a three-month free trial period, he said.

However, Comwave does not send customers any paperwork to sign. Everything is verbal.

“We deal with customers across Canada and the United States,” he says. “It’s not feasible to send letters back and forth.”

Benitah listened to Guerra’s recorded call last February. He said the person who took her order was “very clear” about disclosing that her plan had a three-year term.

“She then opted to transfer her existing telephone number (on her own) from her original carrier to Comwave and received six months of service absolutely free. She was emailed every step of the way.”

Guerra insisted that the telephone pitch was not very clear about the term. She saw nothing in the emails sent to her about a three-year obligation and early cancellation fees.

“A contract that is signed and approved is a true contract. This is what I do not have with them,” she says.

Comwave’s website shows its rates two ways, with a three-year term and with no contract. But to find the terms and conditions, you must click Legal and read through several thousand words of dense prose.

Section 2.09 says subscribers have to pay early cancellation fees of $20 (U.S.) a month for the remaining months left on their contracts.

Guerra was told to pay $562.91 or face collection action. She couldn’t afford the penalty.

Benitah agreed to close her account because she was a senior. After paying $135.74 for four months of service, she’s out of the contract.

I’ve had a few other complaints about Comwave in recent weeks.

Son Nguyen returned the modem because of poor phone reception. But Comwave insisted on a $600 fee to get out of a $20-a-month plan that was cancelled within the first six months.

Michael Pilling tried to cancel, but was told to call a special number that he could never reach. Now he’s been billed for two more months.

Richard Currie cancelled his month-to-month plan for long-distance and was told he’d paid in full. Then, he was threatened with collection for $2.26 outstanding – and after he paid that amount, his account was reinstated

Benitah apologized to Currie and closed his account as requested.

“We pay a tremendous amount of attention to customer satisfaction and retention,” he said.

But you may find some amenities are lacking with this low-cost provider.

You pay only by credit card or automatic debits from your bank account. You pay $2 a month to get paper statements in the mail (but email is free).

You can call a toll-free line, but there’s no email address or complaint form at the website. There’s a live chat service that doesn’t work.

Finally, Comwave is not a member of the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services, which other telecom providers have joined.

If you don’t know if the service will work for you, consider paying more and going on a month-to-month deal.
Aug 19, 2009
9 posts
Not sure if Scam but a bunch of incompetents for sure.
On Saturday I receive an email from them saying "Dear Comwave Customer, Your account remains past due despite several attempts to reach you. Your service has been temporarily suspended. It is imperative that you contact us immediately at 416-663-9600 or 1-877-474-6638 to arrange for payment and have your account re-activated, otherwise your account will be forwarded to Collections which may impact your credit rating."
I call them (waiting time was 23 min when someone decided to talk to me) and asked if they sent me a bill that is outstanding and how much is that I need to pay. In response they say this is just a notice sent to avoid people being on preauthorized payment getting charged for not having money in their account and I will receive my invoice tomorrow...
Ended up asking the guy to close my account. The SCR left me on hold for another 10 more minutes before I hung up.
May 5, 2009
391 posts
22 upvotes
Gamix wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:09 pm
Did they also lied to you?

OP, this is why I always record my phone calls when I make a verbal contract over the phone, when they come up with bullcrap like this I play the recording to a manager/supervisor and tell him I'm going to contact a lawyer.

how do you record your conversation??? what phone or device do you use i need 1 of those
Apr 23, 2009
888 posts
51 upvotes
rookie_cdn wrote:
Dec 1st, 2010 4:26 pm
Well, i do read stuff before signing..but this was like we all know "on the phone" sign up. The emails they sent after signing up had a fine print about 3 years contract. Well even a Robbers charge only 400 dollars for cancellation of contract. Is there anything that can be done in this situation..any suggestions.

And I am not doing any contradictory rants, i had plans to move, that is why i didnt want to sign contracts. And they had 6 months free for a 3 year contract and 3 months without contract but at a higher price per month after that and ofcourse upfront admin cost that i paid.

Clearly you didn't read your contract until you found out you would be charged a cancellation fee. If you would have actually read your contract when you originally agreed to it, then you would have noticed the '3 year term' and would have been able to cancel within the first 10 days without penalty.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8214 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
melvin905 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2010 11:52 am
how do you record your conversation??? what phone or device do you use i need 1 of those

I call from my iphone and use Recorder by Retronyms.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
45 posts
1 upvote
Adams06 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2010 3:26 pm
Clearly you didn't read your contract until you found out you would be charged a cancellation fee. If you would have actually read your contract when you originally agreed to it, then you would have noticed the '3 year term' and would have been able to cancel within the first 10 days without penalty.

I agree with you that if i had read the email ( i wouldn't call it contract as it was just like a spam welcome email without any formal wordings of contract, somewhere in fine print it said '3y' i guess its another plan to deceive rather then mentioning 3 year term or something) i would have been able to call them and cancel. but when i had insisted so hard that i want a non-contract term, i trusted them to sign me up for that only. And also i have now heard from calling them again that they automatically sign everyone up for 3 year contract unless you call them to cancel. How ridiculous is that..and the rep who signed up didn't even mention that.

I am still trying to get out of this with low hope but i just want other people to be aware and let your dear ones know about the scam they are running so that someone else do not loose their hard-earned money to bunch of crooks.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2492 posts
83 upvotes
i appreciate rant threads because people never seem to be accountable for their actions. always blame the company which 'screwed' them over. :lol:

OP, I hope you get out of the contract you signed.
× < >