Shopping Discussion

[Merged] BB and FS are closing 15 stores in Canada.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2013 12:31 am
Oct 8, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Matane

[Merged] BB and FS are closing 15 stores in Canada.

Just a fresh news.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... 0-workers/ -list of closed stores

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... osure.html

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/co ... asins-.php -french

BEST BUY
British Columbia
Queensborough
Nanaimo
Victoria
Langford (Westshore Town Centre)
South Surrey
Quebec
Lachenaie
Sherbrooke (SmartCentres Sherbrooke)

FUTURE SHOP
Ontario
Ancaster
Barrie South
Erin Mills
Quebec
Montreal (Forum Entertainment Center)
Laval (First Pro Ste-Dorothee)
Manitoba
Regent
British Columbia
West Kelowna
Alberta
Macleod, Calgary

thanks goflamesgo for the complete list.
215 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12890 posts
1104 upvotes
Good riddance
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2195 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
Why good riddance? Have you had bad experiences with BB or FS? I will be sorry if my local FS closes.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
Not very surprising considering there closing a bunch in the US too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5379 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I don't think the stores I frequently go to would close, but I have been to a few where it's basically dead even on the weekends ...
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7675 posts
808 upvotes
This isn't really surprising, you knew they were in trouble when they started offering hygiene products and bedroom furniture on their websites, and some of the Best Buy stores around here have just renovated to carry home appliance products which they never did before as they didn't want to compete with themselves (Futureshop) in that department.

They have an entire section in the Mississauga store that just sells coffee cartridges for the various coffee makers now.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8006 posts
1186 upvotes
London
I've often wondered how they can support a best buy right around the corner from a futureshop. I guess the answer is they can't.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5093 posts
1183 upvotes
Montreal
I am surprised by the closure of Futureshop Forum. The location was not perfect, but it was still pretty busy each time.... I could not say for other locations.

900 layoffs apparently.

No advance notice to employees is bad... (at least at Bestbuy Sherbrooke according to La Presse). they will give $$$ sure, but going to work and getting in front of closed doors ?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7675 posts
808 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jan 31st, 2013 11:19 am
I've often wondered how they can support a best buy right around the corner from a futureshop. I guess the answer is they can't.
Dual branding, saturate the market to keep competitors from getting in or driving them out. Most consumers are not aware that Best Buy owns Futureshop still.

I don't think that is hurting them that much anyway. Their main complaint for the past year is that consumers are now using their stores to check out products in person then going home to buy them online from another online retailer for a lower price. They can't compete with them on price due to the overheads of having to run a physical brick and mortar store.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1640 posts
677 upvotes
Calgary
Did they just close their brand new, large format concept store on MacLeod Trail in Calgary? It doesn't show up on the website any more. Only opened in August of 2011 in a new strip mall built for the store itself. The store itself wasn't that busy and relatively close to the Deerfoot Meadows store, but didn't think they would close it. If this was true, obviously this large format system with music instruments in their store isn't working for them. Good thing I picked up a clearance laptop from them last Sunday.

Still remember posting the grand opening thread not long ago....
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fs-calga ... a-1071102/
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1181 posts
305 upvotes
The Metro town BC store should Not be considered to be part of this as the entire mall is closing down :(
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Too much PMing by RFDers is eroding their profit margin :razz:
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Actually it's people using BB & FS to check out a product then buy it online for less.
Bill
× < >