Ongoing Deal Discussion

BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
canadaodyowner wrote: @Rockstead Dickson's regular price for Big Joe without the Kick Ash Basket is $2699. The purchase of any demo unit also includes a free taster's ticket ($40 value). AFAIK Kamado Joe has discontinued its Costco Roadshow in Ontario since 2017. If you check out Dicksonbbq on IG or FB, you'll see the lineup of bbq celebrities appearing at the shows.
It has been an expensive RFD week for me, first the iPad, now the Big Joe, the owner is a good guy, very helpful, I’ll be driving in to Montreal for the all day tasting and leaving with my Big Joe! Thanks for the reference.
Nov 17, 2004
452 posts
254 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: It has been an expensive RFD week for me, first the iPad, now the Big Joe, the owner is a good guy, very helpful, I’ll be driving in to Montreal for the all day tasting and leaving with my Big Joe! Thanks for the reference
Congrats on your purchase! btw, in case you didn't know, customers are treated royally at Dickson...
Click >here< for proof!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
:(

My 5 year old Broil King Signet 20 needs a new collector box and 1 burner but I can't get the damn screw out that holds the burner in place, tried WD-40 and vise grips but that sucker won't budge

I saw that the newer Signet models have burners that are much easier to get out, I guess they realized the flaw =/
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
BigJonsson wrote: :(

My 5 year old Broil King Signet 20 needs a new collector box and 1 burner but I can't get the damn screw out that holds the burner in place, tried WD-40 and vise grips but that sucker won't budge

I saw that the newer Signet models have burners that are much easier to get out, I guess they realized the flaw =/
That's just a #14 screw. It's screwed into the aluminum fire box and you can see the bottom of the screw from the rear of the bbq. Drill out the head. Once the head is off, you can probably just turn the screw body down from the rear of the BBQ. If not, just drill all the way down and replace the screw with one that is one size larger. It's not that hard.

I intentionally leave my burner screws about 1/4 turn loose to keep them from seizing. Mine is 3 years old and I have no issue removing the burners for cleaning once a year.

Imo, replace the burner screws with stainless #14 screws.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
turbo_slug wrote: That's just a #14 screw. It's screwed into the aluminum fire box and you can see the bottom of the screw from the rear of the bbq. Drill out the head. Once the head is off, you can probably just turn the screw body down from the rear of the BBQ. If not, just drill all the way down and replace the screw with one that is one size larger. It's not that hard.

I intentionally leave my burner screws about 1/4 turn loose to keep them from seizing. Mine is 3 years old and I have no issue removing the burners for cleaning once a year.

Imo, replace the burner screws with stainless #14 screws.

Thanks for the detailed answer, I'll take another look tomorrow

Update - I looked at the rear of the BBQ and the screws aren't accessible, I see where they should be but they aren't long enough to access

Update 2 - And they are off, now to wait for the replacement parts, burners were still under warranty :)
Last edited by Squirrel99 on Aug 16th, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
Looks like I'll need new cooking grids soon, thinking of getting stainless steel this time since the last replacement cast iron grids only lasted 2.5 years and I made an effort to take care of them better =/ The porcelain coating seems to chip extremely easily

I've read stainless is easy to clean but doesn't cook as well/doesn't taste as good?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
BigJonsson wrote: Looks like I'll need new cooking grids soon, thinking of getting stainless steel this time since the last replacement cast iron grids only lasted 2.5 years and I made an effort to take care of them better =/ The porcelain coating seems to chip extremely easily

I've read stainless is easy to clean but doesn't cook as well/doesn't taste as good?
Cooks fine. It's a myth that the goal is to have grill marks since even browning will be more tasty.
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique- ... d-not-flip

I've never heard of it affecting taste. Thicker ss obviously will put more grill marks on your food compared to super thin ones, so if you're used to grill marks, just get a thicker one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: Cooks fine. It's a myth that the goal is to have grill marks since even browning will be more tasty.
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique- ... d-not-flip

I've never heard of it affecting taste. Thicker ss obviously will put more grill marks on your food compared to super thin ones, so if you're used to grill marks, just get a thicker one.

I do like making nice grill marks on my steaks but I may be able to survive without them lol

It's 60-70 dollars vs 130 dollars though
Nov 17, 2004
452 posts
254 upvotes
some tips on maintaining CI cooking grids ... keep it well oiled at all times ... wrap in paper and store indoor if not used for extended period, e.g. winter or hot humid summer when you're away ...the perimeter of the cooking area tends to rust first, rotate the grids back to front, left to right, flip over, etc. , think tire rotation and mattress rotation for even wear, lol!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
canadaodyowner wrote: some tips on maintaining CI cooking grids ... keep it well oiled at all times ... wrap in paper and store indoor if not used for extended period, e.g. winter or hot humid summer when you're away ...the perimeter of the cooking area tends to rust first, rotate the grids back to front, left to right, flip over, etc. , think tire rotation and mattress rotation for even wear, lol!
I had cast iron grills on an old West Bend propane BBQ that I bought new for $200. I made sure the grills were alway coated in grease (either from the previous cook or vegetable oil) and that the BBQ was always covered in a vinyl cover that was water proof.
The grills outlasted the BBQ - and I had the BBQ for 20 years (Over the 20 years I replaced the burner 4 times, replaced the lava rock several times and then switched to ceramic briquettes, replaced the valves & regulator and at the bitter end, put the cooking chamber and controls on the base from a different BBQ when the West Bend base was so rotted out it wouldn't stand level - yet those cast iron grills were still perfect.
Last edited by plymouthhater on Aug 22nd, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 25, 2010
87 posts
62 upvotes
GTA
Lowes is discounting their Broil King BBQ's. I bought the Baron 440 online for $609 total. Includes taxes, free assembly and free delivery. Must add to cart to see the final pricing. Play around with your selected store when adding to cart, as the price seems change for whatever reason.
$40/5gb Public Mobile Customer
Dec 2, 2003
72 posts
37 upvotes
Waterloo
the_norm wrote: Play around with your selected store when adding to cart, as the price seems change for whatever reason.
What store did you order from?
Oct 25, 2010
87 posts
62 upvotes
GTA
elduderino wrote: What store did you order from?
I had selected the Maple store when i bought it. Pic of online order receipt attached.
Images
  • lowes receipt.jpg
Dec 2, 2003
72 posts
37 upvotes
Waterloo
the_norm wrote: I had selected the Maple store when i bought it. Pic of online order receipt attached.
That's an awesome find! I'm beginning to wonder if that was the discounted floor model at that location. But yours would have been an additional $90 off the current 10% discount promotion, which is amazing.
Oct 25, 2010
87 posts
62 upvotes
GTA
elduderino wrote: That's an awesome find! I'm beginning to wonder if that was the discounted floor model at that location. But yours would have been an additional $90 off the current 10% discount promotion, which is amazing.
I thought that might be the case too, but it was a closer store (Newmarket) that actually fulfilled the order. For what it's worth, when I bought the grill, the Newmarket store online price was showing me ~ $585. Might have been a Lowes website pricing error that they actually followed through on, so maybe i just got extremely lucky. The grill was just delivered fully assembled today and looks to be in mint condition. Whether it was a floor model or not, I'm pretty happy with it.
Dec 28, 2004
206 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
the_norm wrote: I thought that might be the case too, but it was a closer store (Newmarket) that actually fulfilled the order. For what it's worth, when I bought the grill, the Newmarket store online price was showing me ~ $585. Might have been a Lowes website pricing error that they actually followed through on, so maybe i just got extremely lucky. The grill was just delivered fully assembled today and looks to be in mint condition. Whether it was a floor model or not, I'm pretty happy with it.
I ended up going for this deal on the Barron 440 as well. I bought from the Vancouver location for $603 total (taxes and delivery included). They don't have any in stock at this time so they are ordering one in. I do have to wait until September before it arrives but as im not in a rush for it i dont mind, plus if a better deal pops up brother i will return this one.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)