BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
kool1 wrote: Did you get a code?
Sorry was at work, yes I did.
I tried it again, and pop up banner is still working and generating code, try M7V-D0NJ-JDG if you're buying over $1500.
Good luck.
Feb 8, 2008
176 posts
232 upvotes
Surrey
AirTimid wrote: My LP seems to be made in US. Where do you see manufacturing origin on box? It wasn't on mine.
There's a white sticker that wraps around the box. That says where it's made.

The LP seem to be hit and miss, most of the ones I saw were made in China other than a few at the beginning of the season.
Images
  • IMG_20200818_132056__01.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Xander_604 wrote: There's a white sticker that wraps around the box. That says where it's made.

The LP seem to be hit and miss, most of the ones I saw were made in China other than a few at the beginning of the season.
Even if the sticker says the unit was made in Trumpland(*), it's likely the parts came from China. So the stainless steel will be the same, i.e. no more or less prone to corrode, the burners will be the same, etc. Ultimately you're depending on the manufacturer's reputation to not cut corners and to stand behind the quality of their product.

That's no different from cars and other consumer goods that are made in Canada or USA. Assembly may be domestic but parts could come from almost anywhere on the planet. (How much of an Apple iPhone is actually made in the US?)

(*) With The Donald's MAGA mantra, if Weber makes the same model in both US and China, it's more likely their US production will end up in US retail while Chinese production will land in the Canadian retail channel.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 29, 2008
588 posts
892 upvotes
Mississauga
bylo wrote: Even if the sticker says the unit was made in Trumpland(*), it's likely the parts came from China. So the stainless steel will be the same, i.e. no more or less prone to corrode, the burners will be the same, etc. Ultimately you're depending on the manufacturer's reputation to not cut corners and to stand behind the quality of their product.

That's no different from cars and other consumer goods that are made in Canada or USA. Assembly may be domestic but parts could come from almost anywhere on the planet. (How much of an Apple iPhone is actually made in the US?)

(*) With The Donald's MAGA mantra, if Weber makes the same model in both US and China, it's more likely their US production will end up in US retail while Chinese production will land in the Canadian retail channel.
I agree. I mean look at broil king; it's made in North America and I'm pretty sure many people agrees that the weber made in China are better quality than most of the broil kings made in North America.
Feb 8, 2008
176 posts
232 upvotes
Surrey
bylo wrote: Even if the sticker says the unit was made in Trumpland(*), it's likely the parts came from China. So the stainless steel will be the same, i.e. no more or less prone to corrode, the burners will be the same, etc. Ultimately you're depending on the manufacturer's reputation to not cut corners and to stand behind the quality of their product.

That's a terrible example, the iPhone isn't claimed to be Made in the USA, the last time I bought an iPhone it said "designed in California, made in China."

Further to your claim: FTC regulations state in order for something to say "'made in the USA' means that all or virtually all the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin."
Feb 8, 2008
176 posts
232 upvotes
Surrey
RadioDude wrote: I agree. I mean look at broil king; it's made in North America and I'm pretty sure many people agrees that the weber made in China are better quality than most of the broil kings made in North America.
Quality Control of products vary company to company. It is very possible that the Chinese made Napoleon lex or Weber Genesis stand the test of time differently. No where did anyone say "All USA products are better than Chinese products."

For instance my previous BBQ was a Jackson Grill and I have found it to be a subpar product when compared to my similarly prices Broil King Imperial. I personally think the Weber Summit and Napoleon Prestige are superior to both of those products. Just because they are at the same tier doesn't make them the same quality or have the same durability. Place of manufacturer is a separate issue.

What I don't like is premium products, at premium prices, being manufactured to lower standards.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Any Broil King BAron 440 owners get new grates? Where do you source them?

After 5 years, mine are badly rusted on the underside.
May 22, 2013
92 posts
82 upvotes
Lump Charcoal 12lb equivalent
Dollarma $4
Black Diamond CharWood is 94% Carbonized Charcoal, meaning it burns cleaner and hotter than traditional lump charcoal, produces less smoke and sparks during start-up, and produces less than 3% recyclable ash. It is also reusable up to 5 times making it the lowest cost per grilling charcoal available.
review: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag113.htm
Images
  • Charwood.jpg
May 28, 2020
14 posts
Im kinda new to all of this. I was wondering what are the main differences between the Weber Sprit E-315 and Weber spirit II e-310. I noticed there are is no stock for the 310 but home depot is selling the e-315 for $699? Is that a good deal or should i wait for the E-310? Is the E-310 going back in stock anytime this year?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
ronaldcheung33 wrote: Im kinda new to all of this. I was wondering what are the main differences between the Weber Sprit E-315 and Weber spirit II e-310. I noticed there are is no stock for the 310 but home depot is selling the e-315 for $699? Is that a good deal or should i wait for the E-310? Is the E-310 going back in stock anytime this year?

Thanks!
Are they both Spirit II? The only functional difference is that the 315 has a closed cart whereas the 310 is open. I found this:

https://findbestgrill.com/weber-spirit- ... -vs-s-315/
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
ibbizz wrote: Lump Charcoal 12lb equivalent
Dollarma $4
Black Diamond CharWood is 94% Carbonized Charcoal, meaning it burns cleaner and hotter than traditional lump charcoal, produces less smoke and sparks during start-up, and produces less than 3% recyclable ash. It is also reusable up to 5 times making it the lowest cost per grilling charcoal available.
review: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag113.htm
where did you find this?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
May 22, 2013
92 posts
82 upvotes
Found this 2 days ago at a Dollarama. There is a reviewer on Amazon, July 20, who also found it at Dollarama so it's been around for awhile. YMMV
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Thoughts on https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbqs/c ... ner-606686 for $224.30? (clearance and $20 off $230) Just for replacing a bbq that has massive amounts of rust. Seems like a decent deal currently (and beats the pants off fire coming out of various places on the now mothballed bbq in the yard).

- side burner
- 4 main burners
- warming rack
Last edited by cloak on Sep 3rd, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 8, 2008
176 posts
232 upvotes
Surrey
If anyone is in to charcoal grills in the GVR. The Weber Original Kettle and Char Griller Premium Kettle are on pretty killer clearance.

link
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
cloak wrote: Thoughts on https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbqs/c ... ner-606686 for $224.30? (clearance and $20 off $230) Just for replacing a bbq that has massive amounts of rust. Seems like a decent deal currently (and beats the pants off fire coming out of various places on the now mothballed bbq in the yard).

- side burner
- 4 main burners
- warming rack
Charbroil is another box store last 3 years and fall apart BBQ.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
plymouthhater wrote: Charbroil is another box store last 3 years and fall apart BBQ.
Is there anything else within 50% more with the same features that is available?

The last time I inherited a 'last 3 years and fall apart' bbq I made it last 4.5 years with maintenance.. I was the third owner and it was stored outside 100 percent of the time (with a cover).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
The issue isn't only how long the BBQ lasts.

You also have to compare how well the unit cooks compared to more expensive models like Weber. That includes things like how hot it gets, how evenly it cooks, how well it distributes smoke and thus imparts BBQ flavour, etc. as well as how solidly it's built, how easy it is to clean and maintain, service, etc.

Have you Googled on this make/model for reviews? What do they say?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
cloak wrote: Is there anything else within 50% more with the same features that is available?

The last time I inherited a 'last 3 years and fall apart' bbq I made it last 4.5 years with maintenance.. I was the third owner and it was stored outside 100 percent of the time (with a cover).
I think this would be in the same class:

https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbqs/s ... -lp-821379

In the past, I got the feeling Sterling was a more budget version of Broil King. I believe some of the Sterling BBQ's are made in Canada. As @bylo mentioned, there are more things to look at when getting a BBQ aside from price. If your budget is $400-500, i'd look at all the interesting BBQs in that range. Then figure out what is critical to you. How much food do you need to cook? Do you need 4 burners? How often do you use a side burner, is it critical? How important is build quality and components? Warranty? Also, I find replacing components on cheaper BBQ's a waste of money. If you replace grills, flavorizer bars or burners, you're basically spending 50% cost of buying a new one.

This BBQ often goes on sale and seems to be recommended by lots of sites

https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbqs/b ... ll-1163278

In the end, you need to decide what you want out of the bbq. I personally got tired of replacing a cheaper BBQ every 3-4 years which I also hated using. This year we sprang for a more expensive option and i'm much happier using it. I also have piece of mind of a long warranty with a company that historically stands behind it's bbqs. Anyways, good luck.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

shaaazam