Ongoing Deal Discussion

BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
SoulBrotherNo3 wrote: I ordered the yet to be released (coming in May) Napoleon Phantom Prestige 500 RSIB.....check this baby out!!!
It's no deal but this thing looks so sweet.
If you're ordering the Prestige 500 RSIB, you may want to wait for this one.

Ordered from Classic Fireplace and BBQ a couple of weeks ago.
$1,849.
The regular Prestige 500 RSIB goes for $1,599. The extra $250 gets you cast stainless steel grates on the main grill and sear burner, nice upgrade even over the Pro, the entire matte black finish and the utility warming rack that you can cook chicken legs from without having to turn them.
Again, not a deal but this thing is quality and looks sweet if you're already considering the Prestige 500 RSIB.
Can anyone comment on the performance of the sear station (especially in NG)? I do a lot of sous vide steaks and my NG Broil King Regal is *ok* for searing but I'd like something that gets just un-Godly hot.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
SammySaver99 wrote: New here and looking for a new Natural Gas medium sized BBQ. See a few nice ones posted here but think I’m yet to find a winner. Thanks for the finds, keep em coming.

Sammy
Good idea to post a budget for better recommendations
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: Can anyone comment on the performance of the sear station (especially in NG)? I do a lot of sous vide steaks and my NG Broil King Regal is *ok* for searing but I'd like something that gets just un-Godly hot.
Would love to know this as well. I'm looking for any justification I can find to spend this much money on a propane bbq.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Tapout123 wrote: Can anyone comment on the performance of the sear station (especially in NG)? I do a lot of sous vide steaks and my NG Broil King Regal is *ok* for searing but I'd like something that gets just un-Godly hot.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
Interesting, but IMO he burned the crap out of every steak except the one on the BBQ sear station.

Still looking for anecdotal feedback from people here.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
Tapout123 wrote: Interesting, but IMO he burned the crap out of every steak except the one on the BBQ sear station.

Still looking for anecdotal feedback from people here.
I disagree, since the purpose of a sear is to get the maillard reaction. I have a sear burner on my weber which works okay. If searing steak on a bbq, I prefer using cast iron and the side burner. Overall, my preference is to reverse sear on charcoal. I've sous vide steak, it's my least preferred method for steak.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
AirTimid wrote: I disagree, since the purpose of a sear is to get the maillard reaction. I have a sear burner on my weber which works okay. If searing steak on a bbq, I prefer using cast iron and the side burner. Overall, my preference is to reverse sear on charcoal. I've sous vide steak, it's my least preferred method for steak.
A sear is one thing, he was re-cooking them. As stated in the video, the malliard reaction begins at about 300 degrees, he had the pan at 500, which is great, but he left the steak in for far too long. The whole point is to sear the outside without the heat reaching the already perfectly-cooked inside , thus very hi heat for a very brief time. I sous vide regularly, it's my most preferred method for cooking a steak (when done properly), reverse-sear is something I use for a thicker cut of meat, like a Prime Rib roast.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: The worst kind of feedback.
I'm looking for feedback from real people who have actually used a BBQ sear station for finishing sous vide steaks, if that kind of feedback (which is completely relevant to this thread) doesn't interest you, then I'm not sure why you would bother posting about it.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Sep 23, 2014
192 posts
186 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
GSD wrote: Good idea to post a budget for better recommendations
Which BBQ do you recommend for under $1k?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I've ordered a Regal 590 PRO LP which doesn't have the searing side burner but a regular one, I was considering buying the replacement part to sear however, would you advise skipping it then? I was reading on it and it seemed the BTUs were less on the Broil King than the Napoleon but wasn't sure if it's worth dropping $200 on a searing burner that isn't great...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
LoANeal wrote: I've ordered a Regal 590 PRO LP which doesn't have the searing side burner but a regular one, I was considering buying the replacement part to sear however, would you advise skipping it then? I was reading on it and it seemed the BTUs were less on the Broil King than the Napoleon but wasn't sure if it's worth dropping $200 on a searing burner that isn't great...
My Broil King doesn't have a sear station at all, so if the one you're looking at offers it as an option, I'd definitely consider it. Also, since yours is propane, it will get hotter than my LNG model, which will also work in your favour. Apart from the lack a searing station, my Broil King (and the others I have owned) has been a very good unit, and recently, when I discovered a crack in the stainless steel that holds the burners in place on my 8-year old unit, they replaced the entire cast-aluminum base and the burners with no questions asked.

*EDIT* They confirmed my unit was under 10 years old (via serial number) before they replaced the burners and base, the warranty for both at the time I bought it was 10 years, they have since reduced it (I think it's now 2).
Last edited by Tapout123 on Mar 30th, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Tapout123 wrote: I'm looking for feedback from real people who have actually used a BBQ sear station for finishing sous vide steaks, if that kind of feedback (which is completely relevant to this thread) doesn't interest you, then I'm not sure why you would bother posting about it.
So salty 🤣. Maybe you didn't like the answer however Cast iron pan beats searing station for what you asked for. Enjoy whatever route you decide onThumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
Tapout123 wrote: A sear is one thing, he was re-cooking them. As stated in the video, the malliard reaction begins at about 300 degrees, he had the pan at 500, which is great, but he left the steak in for far too long. The whole point is to sear the outside without the heat reaching the already perfectly-cooked inside , thus very hi heat for a very brief time. I sous vide regularly, it's my most preferred method for cooking a steak (when done properly), reverse-sear is something I use for a thicker cut of meat, like a Prime Rib roast.
I do see your point. I tend not to cook a steak less than 1.5-2 inches thick, which is probably why I don't love it on the BBQ. Also to get alot of heat on the propane, I need to let the thing run 5-10min on full, which seems like a waste of propane, at least in the winter. I would think the Napoleon with the IR sear station would work well.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: So salty 🤣. Maybe you didn't like the answer however Cast iron pan beats searing station for what you asked for. Enjoy whatever route you decide onThumbs Up Sign
Not intentionally.....I thought I had reacted in-kind, if not I apologize.

I don't disagree that pan-sear is likely the way to go, however I'd prefer not to fill my kitchen up with smoke every Sunday!
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
AirTimid wrote: I do see your point. I tend not to cook a steak less than 1.5-2 inches thick, which is probably why I don't love it on the BBQ. Also to get alot of heat on the propane, I need to let the thing run 5-10min on full, which seems like a waste of propane, at least in the winter. I would think the Napoleon with the IR sear station would work well.
Yeah, I could see how a 2" steak would reverse-sear nicely, I'll have to give that a shot. I buy the striploin roasts for just that reason, you can cut them as thick as you like to make great steaks. It's true about the pre-heat, I let my LNG grill warm up for at least 30 minutes to get the kind of sear I'm after. I actually liked the look of the sear the guy in the youtube video got on the BBQ, I'm also now thinking about trying my Lodge cast-iron griddle on the grates of the BBQ for a sear (it would be outside so the smoke wouldn't be an issue).
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Tapout123 wrote: Not intentionally.....I thought I had reacted in-kind, if not I apologize.

I don't disagree that pan-sear is likely the way to go, however I'd prefer not to fill my kitchen up with smoke every Sunday!
No problem we're all here to help eachother. The cast iron pan would heat up on the BBQ. Another option is grill grates or metal pizza plate.
Sep 23, 2014
192 posts
186 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
GSD wrote: Some HD's were letting these go for $799
Maybe I'm missing something here, but letting what go?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)