Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Jun 12, 2007
860 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
For a price point of about $700-800, which brand is a better value - Napoleon or Broil King?
Jan 9, 2011
988 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
NuclearBlast wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:21 am
For a price point of about $700-800, which brand is a better value - Napoleon or Broil King?
broil king

napoleon's proper grills are in a higher budget
Jan 9, 2011
988 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
redkulat wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 3:10 pm
What do you guys think of the hybrid gas + coal BBQs?

https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/cha ... 53870.html
I recall reading a lot of reviews of clogged burner holes. The coal tray is really shallow and really close to the cooking grids, so at best you can do a short direct sear, which is pointless because short cooks don't get much smokey flavour. Or you're going to just have undercooked blackened burgers. It doesn't look like the coals will last if you wanted to cook a whole chicken indirect for 20+ minutes.

Just read some reviews, and the biggest complaints seem to the poor quality (not surprised, you pay for what you get), the closeness of the coals, and i only saw one complain about clogged burners. (which I still believe will be a major factor for long term use)

If you want to start coals by ignition, you could consider the weber performer deluxe.

Otherwise, get a 18" jumbo joe for coals, and get a gas bbq for convenience.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2003 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
Sypsy wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 3:52 pm
I recall reading a lot of reviews of clogged burner holes. The coal tray is really shallow and really close to the cooking grids, so at best you can do a short direct sear, which is pointless because short cooks don't get much smokey flavour. Or you're going to just have undercooked blackened burgers. It doesn't look like the coals will last if you wanted to cook a whole chicken indirect for 20+ minutes.

Just read some reviews, and the biggest complaints seem to the poor quality (not surprised, you pay for what you get), the closeness of the coals, and i only saw one complain about clogged burners. (which I still believe will be a major factor for long term use)

If you want to start coals by ignition, you could consider the weber performer deluxe.

Otherwise, get a 18" jumbo joe for coals, and get a gas bbq for convenience.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I can't seem to find a decent deal right now, I thought most BBQs would be on clearance but maybe I missed it.
Jan 9, 2011
988 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
redkulat wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 4:11 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I can't seem to find a decent deal right now, I thought most BBQs would be on clearance but maybe I missed it.
Yeah, I don't think there is actually a "fall sale" time for bbq's. The sales that start in July (like Lowe's no tax event) seem to be as good as it get as far as nation wide deals. The rest are just local stores getting rid of stock, or one off things.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2003 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
I'm thinking of getting this Huntington. I'm just looking for a cheap BBQ to last me 5 years and from what I've heard from you guys the Broil Mate / Huntington line are fairly decent for being built in North America.

I tried price matching this with Home Depot to get the 10% difference (which would have been about $17) but Home Depot said they can only match it, they won’t do the 10% difference because it is an online only order and not avaialble in stores.

What are people's thoughts on this BBQ? $160, doesn't seem too bad for 3 burners.

https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/hun ... erm=632354

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3-bu ... 57904.html
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11990 posts
1825 upvotes
London
I think Lowes has 10% off in-store for Weber and Broil King until Oct 11. This was on a sign in Mississauga Heartland
Feb 6, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Dundas st Home Depot in London Ontario has the Weber Genesis II E-410 for $898.00 only in the Crimson colour though, I picked on up and for the same price as the 3 burner it was well worth the money
Images
  • IMG_1423.jpg
Oct 27, 2012
181 posts
67 upvotes
Shwa
BenjaminL153835 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:52 pm
Dundas st Home Depot in London Ontario has the Weber Genesis II E-410 for $898.00 only in the Crimson colour though, I picked on up and for the same price as the 3 burner it was well worth the money
Picked up the same one today. Hopefully it'll last as these ones are now made in China. Hard to resist at a 25% discount though
Jun 2, 2004
421 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Lowes currently has 10% off all grills in store. Till Oct 18th

Wondering of it is worth puckinf up a Broil King Regal 590 Pro 1449 -10% about 1470 taxrs in for the nat gas version

Thoughts?

EDIT: Nevermind i will wait till next spring. I've seen lowes offer 15% plus 10% with a lowes credit card (in the past based on rfd) , effectively 25% off
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5441 posts
1243 upvotes
I just spent a week at a timeshare resort in Cape Cod MA where 3 gas BBQ's were provided for the use of guests. 2 were NexGrill and 1 was a Dyna-Glo,
I used each brand once during my stay. (A great opportunity for a test drive) - the grills looked to be a year or so old.
Here's my evaluation (I realize they are lower in price than Weber/Broil King, Napoleon - I own a Made in Canada Napoleon and my winter beater is a Weber Genesis S320):
  • The temperature of the grilling surface varied wildly from super hot to barely warm.
  • The lid on both grills had virtually no weight and the entire BBQ was flimsy - as though things needed to be tightened (but all the bolts were tight)
  • The temperature gauges on both grills did not work - the indicator needle flopped around.
  • There were obvious signs of rust on the side table of one of the grills.
My conclusion - no surprise - you get what you pay for.
Mar 1, 2017
54 posts
4 upvotes
Just curious what makes the Napoleon so much better than the weber - that the weber would be your 'beater' grill.
plymouthhater wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 8:52 am
I own a Made in Canada Napoleon and my winter beater is a Weber Genesis S320):
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5441 posts
1243 upvotes
mikefly wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 2:39 pm
Just curious what makes the Napoleon so much better than the weber - that the weber would be your 'beater' grill.
My Napoleon is a Prestige 750 - MSRP $3,400 (2 cooking chambers - 1 has 2 infrared burners the other has 3 bottom burners + rotisserie burner + a side burner). - I picked it up at a contents sale for $300 and sunk $300 into it replacing the 2 infrared burners and the grease tray that had rotted out). https://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/p ... scontinued

It's worth a bit more than the Weber Genesis S320 that I picked up on Kijiji for $200.