[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
15611 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
Ferocious12 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 7:56 am
so now you did the burn off with the lid open... lol I've read so many ways to do this now..

I'm thinking of just following the manual and ignoring the csr and just doing it with the lid closed, and the grates/warming rack out
There is nothing special about doing a burn in on a Broil King BBQ. All BBQs are the same. Ditto for gas fireplaces. The metal parts have some sort of coating that gives off a noxious fume when heated up the first time. I don't want whatever is being burnt off to accumulate inside the cook box or come in contact with the cooking surfaces. It is for this reason I do the burn in with the lid open. Since the lid can also contain this coating, I do close the lid for the final part of the burn in cycle. Most of the cycles is done with lid open. Common sense over manufacturers manual in this case.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Feb 2, 2017
193 posts
153 upvotes
You can buy a Broil King Sovereign (or any other grill) from ebay.ca for $130 off TODAY ONLY with PICKDADSGIFT coupon.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1353 posts
532 upvotes
Quebec
jaydubz wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 1:30 pm
You can buy a Broil King Sovereign (or any other grill) from ebay.ca for $130 off TODAY ONLY with PICKDADSGIFT coupon.
Unfortunately, there are not many choices.
Oct 11, 2016
162 posts
70 upvotes
Thoughts on the quality and durability between broil king baron and weber spirit 2 line up?
Mar 24, 2011
207 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
What do you guys think of portable bbqs for home/camping/beach for these two comparisons?
I am thinking either the Weber Q 1200 Portable BBQ (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.q-12 ... 04685.html) or the Coleman Camping Road Trip Grill LXE (https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Camping-R ... dtrip&th=1)

There's a promo at Home depot for 10% off if I get the Weber with the cart, it will be like $80 more than the Coleman but I want to make the right choice.. what you guys think? Coleman doesn't have the temperature gauge though which is kind of a bummer. Looking for the better quality, durability and portability.

Actually it's either the Weber Q1200 for me or the Napoleon Travel Q cart.. both seem like the best options but hard to choose. TravelQ has two burners and output to 12000 BTU ..isn't that more long lasting n efficient than what Q1200 can do at 8500BTU n 1 burner?
Last edited by pentexplorer on Jun 6th, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2014
83 posts
37 upvotes
jamieee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 6:47 am
how often (if ever) are you guys cleaning your grates, flavorizers and other moving parts? by clean i don't mean brush it before and after usage, i mean taking it apart and soap, water, scrub it down kind of thing?
One time a season, I just cleaned it last month.
I bbq 3-4 times a week, in the winter, 2 times.
When it begins to get cold, November, I'll take it apart, give everything a scrape down and continue to use it during the winter.

I've got an older Broil King Crown 2, I think it's 14 years old.
https://www.grill-parts.com/broilking/m ... 943-24.htm

Very easy to clean, it has:
figure 8 burner
flavourWav
cast iron grill
Images
  • image.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5702 posts
1588 upvotes
pentexplorer wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 11:23 pm
What do you guys think of portable bbqs for home/camping/beach for these two comparisons?
I am thinking either the Weber Q 1200 Portable BBQ (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.q-12 ... 04685.html) or the Coleman Camping Road Trip Grill LXE (https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Camping-R ... dtrip&th=1)

There's a promo at Home depot for 10% off if I get the Weber with the cart, it will be like $80 more than the Coleman but I want to make the right choice.. what you guys think? Coleman doesn't have the temperature gauge though which is kind of a bummer. Looking for the better quality, durability and portability.

Actually it's either the Weber Q1200 for me or the Napoleon Travel Q cart.. both seem like the best options but hard to choose. TravelQ has two burners and output to 12000 BTU ..isn't that more long lasting n efficient than what Q1200 can do at 8500BTU n 1 burner?
I have an older Weber Q (Q200)- bought it on Kijiji for $25 - even came with the matching cart and the adaptor for full size propane tanks.
It's easy to transport (though a bit large to schlep to the beach).
It lights easily using the built in lighter and it's easy to clean.

The Coleman has a design flaw on some of the older models where the latch that holds it closed won't stay closed. - I don't know if they fixed it in the newer models.
May 1, 2013
391 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
So after burn off (cleaned grids + warming rack), my flav-r waves turned rainbow coloured like the other poster here.

Should I do something about this?

Also.. is it normal for my stainless steel grids to get stained up and look like ass after the first use??

Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
15611 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
Ferocious12 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 7:28 am
So after burn off (cleaned grids + warming rack), my flav-r waves turned rainbow coloured like the other poster here.

Should I do something about this?

Also.. is it normal for my stainless steel grids to get stained up and look like ass after the first use??

This is normal.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Jan 16, 2005
649 posts
174 upvotes
After using my Weber S-310 with stainless grills for a while I now and experimented with cleaning the grills. The brush was doing OK but decided to put grills, flavorizers (love that name, pure marketing) and lower grease pan and bars into dishwasher. Took off the chunks first. Everything turned out great but grills still needed an sos pad or green scotch pad to clean up. Then I remembered I bought the Weber spray and black grill pads. After using a while longer I tried these. Sprayed, waited a couple of minutes and they clean up really good. Highly recommend if you have stainless from any brand.

UPDATE: YIKES, I may have used the exterior cleaner. Have to check when I get home. Was going to post links to bottle and discovered this. Not like I haven't ingested worse, just don't need a regular dose.

UPDATE 2, It was Stainless Grate Cleaner.
Last edited by FrozenPegger on Jun 8th, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1347 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
the seasoning on the stainless steel is perfectly fine. It's interesting that for cast iron and carbon steel, the seasoning is desired, but for stainless steel cookware & grates, it's undesired.
Mar 24, 2011
207 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
plymouthhater wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 5:36 am
I have an older Weber Q (Q200)- bought it on Kijiji for $25 - even came with the matching cart and the adaptor for full size propane tanks.
It's easy to transport (though a bit large to schlep to the beach).
It lights easily using the built in lighter and it's easy to clean.

The Coleman has a design flaw on some of the older models where the latch that holds it closed won't stay closed. - I don't know if they fixed it in the newer models.
I been reading about the Coleman design and cart wheel durability issues so I think I am staying clear of it. I want something built to last so it's either the Weber Q1200 or the Napoleon Travel Q 285.. though the TravelQ seems more portable I think. if anyone had both before, please let me know of your thoughts!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1347 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
pentexplorer wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 2:07 pm
I been reading about the Coleman design and cart wheel durability issues so I think I am staying clear of it. I want something built to last so it's either the Weber Q1200 or the Napoleon Travel Q 285.. though the TravelQ seems more portable I think. if anyone had both before, please let me know of your thoughts!
I have the Napoleon Travel Q 285 Pro (larger black lid) from their first year (2014) and a Weber Q1200 that I recently bought.
The T285Pro worked really well while I used it. I like that it has two zones to allow for indirect cooking. Even heat, heated quickly. Or if you're only cooking a few burgers or a single rack of lambs, you just use one zone. I'm pretty sure all the 285's are larger than the Q1200 and are closer to the size & price of the Q2200. So you're not really comparing apples to apples.

Unfortunately, after three years of use, I left the 285 Pro uncleaned and neglected sitting under a deck, so when I went to clean it, I learned a burner got clogged and the porcelain coating was chipping off, with some rust spots on the grates. I attribute all this to my poor maintenance, including the stuck screw holding in the clogged burner. (So I can't easily get in and clear the burner.)

Anyway, the long and the short is this:
a) make sure you keep the burner holes cleared, none of these have tent burners so are more susceptible to clogging, Maintain things well and keep the screw clean so you can check the burners years down the road.
b) if you never plan to cook indirect, get a Weber Q. (Well, I guess you can cook indirect, you just have to use a roasting foil to deflect the heat, but it's very half ass.
c) The red napoleon Q should come with a griddle, so that's a nice throw in. which would be extra with the weber q.
Mar 24, 2011
207 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 2:53 pm
I have the Napoleon Travel Q 285 Pro (larger black lid) from their first year (2014) and a Weber Q1200 that I recently bought.
The T285Pro worked really well while I used it. I like that it has two zones to allow for indirect cooking. Even heat, heated quickly. Or if you're only cooking a few burgers or a single rack of lambs, you just use one zone. I'm pretty sure all the 285's are larger than the Q1200 and are closer to the size & price of the Q2200. So you're not really comparing apples to apples.

Unfortunately, after three years of use, I left the 285 Pro uncleaned and neglected sitting under a deck, so when I went to clean it, I learned a burner got clogged and the porcelain coating was chipping off, with some rust spots on the grates. I attribute all this to my poor maintenance, including the stuck screw holding in the clogged burner. (So I can't easily get in and clear the burner.)

Anyway, the long and the short is this:
a) make sure you keep the burner holes cleared, none of these have tent burners so are more susceptible to clogging, Maintain things well and keep the screw clean so you can check the burners years down the road.
b) if you never plan to cook indirect, get a Weber Q. (Well, I guess you can cook indirect, you just have to use a roasting foil to deflect the heat, but it's very half ass.
c) The red napoleon Q should come with a griddle, so that's a nice throw in. which would be extra with the weber q.
Ok thanks for your feedback! I guess constant maintenance is always needed. What you mean by larger though? It seems like both have the same cooking area. My thought is the single 8500 BTU on the weber is better for direct cooking. The Napoleon only has 6000BTU but two burners. I think the TravelQ seems more portable imo but about $30 more than the Weber with the cart. I am going to check at Home depot n Cad tire for offers.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1347 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
pentexplorer wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 3:22 pm
Ok thanks for your feedback! I guess constant maintenance is always needed. What you mean by larger though? It seems like both have the same cooking area. My thought is the single 8500 BTU on the weber is better for direct cooking. The Napoleon only has 6000BTU but two burners. I think the TravelQ seems more portable imo but about $30 more than the Weber with the cart. I am going to check at Home depot n Cad tire for offers.
q1200 is 189 sq inches & 8,500 btu
q2200 is 280 sq inches &12,000 btu
q 285 is 285 sq inches & 12,000 btu (both burners)

The q1200 is the smallest of the bunch. But reviews of q1200 vs q2200 that I have seen say the q1200 is hotter. I have found that it does indeed get quite hot. But I was never left wanting with the Q 285 either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)