Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
3644 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Somewhat BBQ related, but question for those without a natural gas lines in their back yard. Where do you guys get your propane tank refilled? I'm probably going to buy my own 20lb tank.
Aug 27, 2004
610 posts
42 upvotes
Cyberspace
Geologic wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 8:52 pm
Somewhat BBQ related, but question for those without a natural gas lines in their back yard. Where do you guys get your propane tank refilled? I'm probably going to buy my own 20lb tank.
Costco.
I think it cost me $20 to fill two 20 lb tanks.
Former Know-It-All
Feb 18, 2014
83 posts
37 upvotes
Ferocious12 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 12:12 pm
So the grids can be rainbow coloured but the flav-r waves can't?
no, they'll both be rainbow.
6 months from now flavour wave will look even worse, it won't be nice and shiny.

It seems this BBQ is stressing you out?

Are you sure you want a BBQ?
May 1, 2013
391 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 10:07 pm
no, they'll both be rainbow.
6 months from now flavour wave will look even worse, it won't be nice and shiny.

It seems this BBQ is stressing you out?

Are you sure you want a BBQ?
I'm a noob and was wondering why it was okay for the grids to rainbow as opposed to the flav-r wave
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1347 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
Ferocious12 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 10:16 pm
I'm a noob and was wondering why it was okay for the grids to rainbow as opposed to the flav-r wave
honestly, it's all okay to be rainbowy, just someone did not want, so we were discussing steps to remedy it, but after cooking for a while, it's no big deal. Just because we were helping them in their desired goal doesn't mean it's an important thing.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1347 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
betercallsaul wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 4:42 pm
I have the option of buying a broil king baron SS 320 for 500$ or a Weber spirit 2 SS e310 for 600$. The size difference isn't that big of a deal, but what would you recommend between the two?
BK is made in canada, Weber Spirit is made in China, but weber's got a good reputation & warranty. difficult to say. but you do pay a premium on weber's typically.
callmebob wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 5:13 pm
Another option I am considering is the Napoleon LEX 485. It has 4 burners, side and rear burners and backlit knobs for $1199 at Lowe’s. Any thoughts or recommendation on this particular model or Napoleon in general?

https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/nap ... 67229.html
LEX is made in China and i've seen a fair amount of reviews talking about rust in the long long term (like multiple years in), but my friend has it and is happy. The Broil King Sovereign is a similar price but made in Canada. Read the last few pages about users who discuss and purchase it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
15611 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
Ferocious12 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 12:12 pm
So the grids can be rainbow coloured but the flav-r waves can't?
Depending on the material composition, the grills may avoid the discoloration due to high heat. The heat shield is right on top of the flame, it's virtually impossible to avoid the discoloration. The sovereign grills have not discoloured so far. I don't expect them to because they are non magnetic stainless steel which should resist the heat adequately. I have had stainless steel grills on a previous BBQ that was magnetic and discoloured. It even developed a thin layer of rust, not the loose rust. In spite of this, it was very durable. Each time I used the grill, I would take a paper and rub down the grill with oil before turning on the heat.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Dec 19, 2010
385 posts
30 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 10:25 pm
LEX is made in China and i've seen a fair amount of reviews talking about rust in the long long term (like multiple years in), but my friend has it and is happy. The Broil King Sovereign is a similar price but made in Canada. Read the last few pages about users who discuss and purchase it.
After a lot of research, I decided to purchase the Napoleon LEX 485 4 burner grill with rear and side burners over the Weber as I really wanted the searing feature and the rear burner and backlit knobs were a nice plus. Most stores are sold out in store and online, however The Bay still carried these online AND had a FRIENDS 10% off promo code which expired tonight. Plus I got ebates.ca 5% cash back. The grill came to $1079 + tax less the ebates.ca rebate with free shipping.

I'm quite pleased with the purchase and look forward to putting the grill through its paces over the summer. I'll keep a watch for rust, hopefully that's something the warranty will be able to address. I'll be purchasing a BBQ cover to keep it protected when not in use.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1457 posts
263 upvotes
My "Presidents Choice" stainless steel BBQ bought from Loblaws atlast gave up after 10 years of extensive use under all weather conditions.
Spent only 30 $ during all these years and even now it was just the brackets of burners that rusted and fell, otherwise it never ever gave any issue.

Saved money all these years and bought Weber Summit ( after reading 100's of reviews and people swearing over qlty). It was painful to spend amount spent, but after preparing my first dinner, I now know why it costed what it costed. Could not be happier. Now on a hunt for its cover at a reasonable price.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5216 posts
2024 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 2:09 pm
Define "medium"? 3 burners?

Anyway. Broil King Soverign series. Comes in "medium" and XL. With or without a rotisserie & side burner. Made in Canada. All stainless steel grates. Last few pages of this have multiple users considering and buying it.

https://barbecuesgalore.ca/pages/search ... _order=asc
Thanks, I was originally thinking burners, but 3 will be enough.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
15611 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:11 am
Lowes has 20% off select BBQ brands today. What's the consensus on Char-Broil, specifically this one: https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/cha ... 02505.html

On sale for $520.

Char Broil uses tin foil construction on their BBQs. I bought one six years ago. Everything has through wall failures.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Jan 23, 2007
107 posts
121 upvotes
GTA
I'm considering the BK Sovereign, and went to Lowe's to compare the Weber E-310 with the Broil King Signet. I'd get the Sovereign elsewhere, but just wanted a side by side comparison and from pictures, it looks like the Sovereign is more similar to the Signet than the Baron/Regal. Anyway, it feels like the E-310 is better built. Lid and handle are all metal construction, whereas there are plastic parts on the Signet. Opening and closing the lid, the Weber also felt more solid.

Because of this, the wife prefers the Weber. To be honest, without this thread and reading about the stainless steel grates, and how the E-310 is made in China, I may have gone with the Weber as well.

For those that own the Sovereign, is there anything else I can use to help convince her? And also help other readers on the fence?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5216 posts
2024 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:18 am
Char Broil uses tin foil construction on their BBQs. I bought one six years ago. Everything has through wall failures.
Thanks, I think I'm going to stick with @Sypsy suggestion and go with the BK Sovereign 20. It's only $200 more and for what seems to be built much better.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)