Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Jan 16, 2005
641 posts
171 upvotes
Was at Home Depot on Regent store and they have bbq stuff on clearance on end of aisle by lights. See prices in pics.
Images
  • 4D4E17C9-2337-4B7A-84B9-56AD15313851.jpeg
  • 8F0556F6-F344-4B5A-97E5-2E392D54A50A.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1252 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
noodlesoup wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:11 am
I'm considering the BK Sovereign, and went to Lowe's to compare the Weber E-310 with the Broil King Signet. I'd get the Sovereign elsewhere, but just wanted a side by side comparison and from pictures, it looks like the Sovereign is more similar to the Signet than the Baron/Regal. Anyway, it feels like the E-310 is better built. Lid and handle are all metal construction, whereas there are plastic parts on the Signet. Opening and closing the lid, the Weber also felt more solid.

Because of this, the wife prefers the Weber. To be honest, without this thread and reading about the stainless steel grates, and how the E-310 is made in China, I may have gone with the Weber as well.

For those that own the Sovereign, is there anything else I can use to help convince her? And also help other readers on the fence?

Thanks.
Spirit II or Genesis II?

The spirit line has a terrible lid to me. Seems so loose and wobbly with a cheap grating sound when opening/closing. That would be a deal breaker for me as it's a $600 bbq.

If you were looking at the Genesis II E-310, and since you seem to have wife approval, I would upgrade to the SE-310 at the least to get stainless steel flavorizer bars & grates.

E-310: https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collections/ ... 10-propane
SE-310: https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collections/ ... -se-310-lp

or jump up to the LX ones which are made in North america, but it's a big jump. I would take the full jump to the one with 9mm grates, only sold in bbq stores, the CSE-340: https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collections/ ... 40-propane

If you like the stainless steel finish, it can be had for a few bucks more on some of the versions mentioned.

(I have the CSE-340, I love it)

edit: okay i completely got side tracked. With respect to the sovereign, you are getting a north american made bbq at a cheaper price. Going up to the 90 (side burner and rotisserie) means you're getting features at a great price compared to a north american weber/napoleon. If you got a weber genesis (non-lx), it's not that bad given weber's reputation for good warranty service, so with that you can be assured some peace of mind. But they're so new no one's had the new lines for multiple years. But I haven't seen anything consistently negative yet.

So if your wife forced your hand for a genesis II se-310, there's probably no downside for bbq experience, just a bit more $ spent over a sovereign 20.
Last edited by Sypsy on Jun 12th, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1252 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
9394 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:28 am
Thanks, I think I'm going to stick with @Sypsy suggestion and go with the BK Sovereign 20. It's only $200 more and for what seems to be built much better.
If you want the features of the char-broil infrared, just get grill grates. Work the same, easy to clean and can be used on any bbq. (juicy chicken wings with no flare-ups, amazing)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2924 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
noodlesoup wrote:
Because of this, the wife prefers the Weber. To be honest, without this thread and reading about the stainless steel grates, and how the E-310 is made in China, I may have gone with the Weber as well.
I got the sovereign over the genesis II because my person feelings were that the $200ish difference gave the sovereign the better value for money, not necessarily that it was "better" overall. For example a plastic handle can't rust and if something is going to go on your bbq it's not going to be the handle. So assigning any value to a shiny metal handle just didn't do it for me.

But in your situation i will refer to one of my favorite saying. Happy wife, Happy life. I'd pay $200 if it means the wife will feel more secure. Luckily mine had no interest in being part of the decision :-)

Happy BBQing
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14953 posts
4029 upvotes
Toronto
noodlesoup wrote:
I'm considering the BK Sovereign, and went to Lowe's to compare the Weber E-310 with the Broil King Signet. I'd get the Sovereign elsewhere, but just wanted a side by side comparison and from pictures, it looks like the Sovereign is more similar to the Signet than the Baron/Regal. Anyway, it feels like the E-310 is better built. Lid and handle are all metal construction, whereas there are plastic parts on the Signet. Opening and closing the lid, the Weber also felt more solid.

For those that own the Sovereign, is there anything else I can use to help convince her? And also help other readers on the fence?

Thanks.
The porcelain-enameled flavorizer bars, porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates and porcelain-enameled lid are 3 good reasons to go with the sovereign. The sovereign comes with non metallic staineless steel grates, stainless steel heat shields and cast aluminum cook box all 3 of which should last longer.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5671 posts
1564 upvotes
I am confused - those who seem to have experience and knowledge have posted several times in this ongoing thread with recommendations of:
Weber, Broil King (and the other Onward sub brands of Broil Mate, Huntington, Sterling) and Canadian made Napoleon (excluding the Made in China Napoleon products), and explanations and advice to specifically avoid Box Store Made in China BBQ's...yet this thread continually gets posts asking "What do you think of this?" and a link to a Made in China Box Store - 2-3 year lifespan BBQ.

There's no magic - spend the extra money - buy one of the recommended or buy a new Made in China Box Store wonder that will last you 2-3 years with uneven heat, a wobbly cart and rust.

There's a reason why suburbia is full of old BBQ's put out on the curb every Spring - yet you will rarely spot a Weber, Broil King or Napoleon (other than one that's 25 yrs old) out on the curb on garbage day.
Jan 13, 2004
633 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
noodlesoup wrote:

Thanks.
If you really want to know which will last longer, go on Craigslist and compare the old used Weber Spirits with the side-to-side burners to the used signets for sale. The spirits are always in very good condition vs mediocre/poor on the signets.

Weber has been making the Spirit line in China for many years and they still last
Last edited by turbo_slug on Jun 12th, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1252 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
from my times on rfd and reddit, I have learned that most people who do read in depth don't post these types of questions, and the one's who end up posting them are the ones who skim or can't be bothered to read text. Then you have the minority who post and can actually focus enough to research a topic well enough.

You'd think a gaming subreddit where young teens play (and don't think) would be different from a thread about bbq's that only adults with money will look at. But it looks like teens will become adults and not much else changes.
Dec 26, 2006
442 posts
198 upvotes
Couple of things,

Lowes has coupons in store that give you 10% off regular price Broil King BBQ's. I think expiration is till end of Jun. Also if your cast iron grates have failed (or you want stainless) for your BK, call up OMC. I spoke to the rep and was told they would offer a deal where you could buy stainless grids for $15 per grid if you tell them your cast iron grids have rusted or flaked within warranty period of the grids.

Had a Crown 90 and has lasted 10 yrs. Now grids need replacing and starter doesn't work, so bought a Baron 440s. Am big fan of BK. Firebox and burners are still great after 10yrs.

My question is whether anyone uses rotisserie with BBQ that doesn't have rotisserie burner? My Crown had it and worked great. The Baron doesn't but found that my rotisserie spit/motor fit the Baron so I just had to buy a replacement bracket for the motor. Cost me all of $7 from OMC shipped so will give the rotisserie a try without the rear rotisserie burner. Wanted to see if anyone has used this way to rotisserie.
Dec 19, 2010
357 posts
25 upvotes
So the Bay called me to advise the Napoleon LEX 485 grill I ordered is going to take a few weeks to deliver. I dont want to wait that long and may end up buying somewhere else.

For around $1000 before taxes, whats my best bet? I’m looking for 4 burners, propane, stainless steel grate, searing station or side burner for searing, preferably rotisserie rear burner. Based on what im reading it seems the Sovereign 90 XLS is the most comparable and it’s made in North America. I would’ve gone Weber but can’t find one with a searing station anymore.

Any advice?
Nov 18, 2006
34 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 4:58 am
Couple of things,

Lowes has coupons in store that give you 10% off regular price Broil King BBQ's. I think expiration is till end of Jun. Also if your cast iron grates have failed (or you want stainless) for your BK, call up OMC. I spoke to the rep and was told they would offer a deal where you could buy stainless grids for $15 per grid if you tell them your cast iron grids have rusted or flaked within warranty period of the grids.

Had a Crown 90 and has lasted 10 yrs. Now grids need replacing and starter doesn't work, so bought a Baron 440s. Am big fan of BK. Firebox and burners are still great after 10yrs.

My question is whether anyone uses rotisserie with BBQ that doesn't have rotisserie burner? My Crown had it and worked great. The Baron doesn't but found that my rotisserie spit/motor fit the Baron so I just had to buy a replacement bracket for the motor. Cost me all of $7 from OMC shipped so will give the rotisserie a try without the rear rotisserie burner. Wanted to see if anyone has used this way to rotisserie.
Just wondering if you can elaborate on the 10% coupon for Broil King? Any chance you could scan it? Do you know if they have an equivalent offer for Weber?

Thanks
Dec 26, 2006
442 posts
198 upvotes
Xzibition wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:00 am
Just wondering if you can elaborate on the 10% coupon for Broil King? Any chance you could scan it? Do you know if they have an equivalent offer for Weber?

Thanks
I just saw it in their seasonal dept. Will grab one next time I'm there, but applied to any regular price BK BBQ's and couldn't be stacked with other offers, clearance etc. Didn't see one for Weber. Will grab one for scan later this week.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1252 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
callmebob wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:24 am
So the Bay called me to advise the Napoleon LEX 485 grill I ordered is going to take a few weeks to deliver. I dont want to wait that long and may end up buying somewhere else.

For around $1000 before taxes, whats my best bet? I’m looking for 4 burners, propane, stainless steel grate, searing station or side burner for searing, preferably rotisserie rear burner. Based on what im reading it seems the Sovereign 90 XLS is the most comparable and it’s made in North America. I would’ve gone Weber but can’t find one with a searing station anymore.

Any advice?
the BK soverign 90 xls seems to fit the bill the best

when a bbq doesn't have a searing station, the manufactuer will say their bbq gets hot enough to sear. Like with Weber's Genesis II's GS4 system (it has an extra hot mode) but i find it works only okay for searing. I've never personally tried a searing station, but the idea of it sounds very nice.

North american Weber's (Genesis II LX & Summit) as well as North American Napoleons (Prestige & Prestige Pro) start at $1250, but if you want additional features, you need to pay. So the Broil King will be the only thing that can fit the bill.

If you were willing to raise your budget, a good one would be the Napoleon Prestige Ambiance Edition, which has an upgraded stainless steel grate over the infrared side burner
https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collections/ ... on-propane

I know, it's difficult to keep within budget while getting all the bells and whistles.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5172 posts
1991 upvotes
frugalcanuck wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:58 am
I just saw it in their seasonal dept. Will grab one next time I'm there, but applied to any regular price BK BBQ's and couldn't be stacked with other offers, clearance etc. Didn't see one for Weber. Will grab one for scan later this week.
Wow...I need to go check that out...too bad the website doesn't have the Sovereign line.
Dec 19, 2010
357 posts
25 upvotes
I went to a BBQ Galore store and took a look at my options.

Broil King Sovereign 20 vs Napoleon Prestige 500?
Basic cook box, no extra side features
$700 vs $1249

Broil King Sovereign 90 vs Napoleon Prestige 500RSIB?
Both include side burner and rear burner (although the prestige side burner is infrared for searing)
$900 vs $1549

So tempting to get the Napoleon Prestige series but can’t reconcile why the delta is upwards of $500 in both cases on on both highly recommended, Canadian made grills?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)