[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1349 posts
603 upvotes
Vancouver
callmebob wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:07 pm
I went to a BBQ Galore store and took a look at my options.

Broil King Sovereign 20 vs Napoleon Prestige 500?
Basic cook box, no extra side features
$700 vs $1249

Broil King Sovereign 90 vs Napoleon Prestige 500RSIB?
Both include side burner and rear burner (although the prestige side burner is infrared for searing)
$900 vs $1549

So tempting to get the Napoleon Prestige series but can’t reconcile why the delta is upwards of $500 in both cases on on both highly recommended, Canadian made grills?
Broil King Sovereign (XLS) 90 + hot cast iron skillet on the direct side for when it's time to sear can substitute the lack of infrared burner if you find the grill itself isn't hot enough.

Did the fit & finish of the napoleons look better than the BK?

Even worse, I have read that some parts (side shelves) of the prestige & prestige pro are be made in China. (As per this thread) and another user has mentioned a spot weld coming loose after 5 years or so.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1644 posts
75 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 10:27 pm
My "Presidents Choice" stainless steel BBQ bought from Loblaws atlast gave up after 10 years of extensive use under all weather conditions.
Spent only 30 $ during all these years and even now it was just the brackets of burners that rusted and fell, otherwise it never ever gave any issue.

Saved money all these years and bought Weber Summit ( after reading 100's of reviews and people swearing over qlty). It was painful to spend amount spent, but after preparing my first dinner, I now know why it costed what it costed. Could not be happier. Now on a hunt for its cover at a reasonable price.
Which Summit did you get? I’ve read online that part of the Summit firebox is made of painted steel and its prone to rust. The lower part of the cabinet is also prone to rust out prematurely. I’m having second thought about it but I might still end up getting one eventually Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2068 posts
731 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:11 am
Lowes has 20% off select BBQ brands today. What's the consensus on Char-Broil, specifically this one: https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/cha ... 02505.html

On sale for $520.

I have the 2-burner version of this. It's 3 or 4 years old and the entire bottom of the flamebox rotted out and is sitting on the stand.

The BBQ cooks great, and the TRU-Infrared grill almost totally prevents flair-ups, but don't expect it to last more than a few seasons. Also, the grill design is a PITA to clean - moreso than any other BBQ I've owned before.
Feb 11, 2007
27 posts
3 upvotes
Where is the best place to buy the Broil King Sovereign?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5702 posts
1588 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:56 pm
when a bbq doesn't have a searing station, the manufactuer will say their bbq gets hot enough to sear. Like with Weber's Genesis II's GS4 system (it has an extra hot mode) but i find it works only okay for searing. I've never personally tried a searing station, but the idea of it sounds very nice.
My Napoleon Prestige 750 has a 2 infra red burner searing station. It puts out a tremendous amount of heat - steaks and burgers get a nice crust on the outside that the regular section of the grill simply can't create. The unexpected benefit of the searing station is the ability to cook completely (and very quickly) using only the searing section by turning the heat down to medium.
The only downside to the searing station is the fact that the burners are somewhat fragile - the infra red burners are basically ceramic bricks with hundreds of holes - covered with a stainless steel mesh to protect them.
Aug 23, 2012
11 posts
Ottawa
Forgive me for not reading back in the thread, but have there been any deals on Webers lately? I assume they don't often go on sale and the best likelihood of savings are through store coupons such as no tax events, am I correct? Or should I wait patiently for a straight up sale?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2957 posts
586 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Atlas77 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:38 pm
Forgive me for not reading back in the thread, but have there been any deals on Webers lately? I assume they don't often go on sale and the best likelihood of savings are through store coupons such as no tax events, am I correct? Or should I wait patiently for a straight up sale?
Few weeks ago lowes had a no tax even that specifically excluded weber and broilking. but if you went in store and purchased a weber/broilking all the sales associates were applying the discount no questions asked.
At the same time the Bay had straight up sale of 15% on a bunch of webers.
Both of those were rather unique.

Otherwise yeah sales are hard to find.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5221 posts
2032 upvotes
frugalcanuck wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:58 am
I just saw it in their seasonal dept. Will grab one next time I'm there, but applied to any regular price BK BBQ's and couldn't be stacked with other offers, clearance etc. Didn't see one for Weber. Will grab one for scan later this week.
Xzibition wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:00 am
Just wondering if you can elaborate on the 10% coupon for Broil King? Any chance you could scan it? Do you know if they have an equivalent offer for Weber?

Thanks
So I dropped by my local Lowes and the CSR confirmed that there was a 10% off coupon but it expired a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned it started in like Dec until recently. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1463 posts
265 upvotes
I got this one : https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.summ ... 89153.html

If you are looking for propane version of it, I MAY be able to get you around 700 $ or more off on it.
EL820 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:39 pm
Which Summit did you get? I’ve read online that part of the Summit firebox is made of painted steel and its prone to rust. The lower part of the cabinet is also prone to rust out prematurely. I’m having second thought about it but I might still end up getting one eventually Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3291 posts
94 upvotes
Hubby purchased a Napolean Prestige 500 Series (natural gas), with an upgraded ss side grill for the infrared burner. With the shish kabob addition to the rotisserie, and a ss vegetable grilling wok, the total came to around $1,450 (taxes in), thanks to a generous discount from a friend. He's thrilled and I'm happy to have him cook for a change! Absolutely loves it - upgraded from a Broil King. Thanks for all the advice and recommendations from this thread!
Dec 19, 2010
386 posts
30 upvotes
Split between the Broil King Sovereign 20 ($699) or Napoleon Rogue R425SIB ($849 on promotion).

Note this particular Rogue model is Made in Canada. The great thing is this comes with a side infrared burner which is a nice feature (albeit lower BTU than other Napoleon side burners). Stainless steel grates, tented flavourizer bears and overall the build seemed better than the Sovereign.

With this said, the Sovereign outputs at a higher BTU, larger warming tray and from what I understand has better heat retention. Both grills have a cast aluminum cook box although the Rogue has a double walled steel lid.

Given both are Canadian made, which one would you go with: Rogue R425SIB or the Sovereign 20?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1349 posts
603 upvotes
Vancouver
callmebob wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:09 pm
Note this particular Rogue model is Made in Canada.
Actually, it's not made in Canada. At most, It's assembled in Canada. I also thought the SIB was made in Canada for a while. I think it's just rumours.

I'll paste this from a previous post:

I thought some of the rogues are made in Canada, I forget where I read that, but now I don't think so. This website does a good job of explaining napoleon's line and they emailed napoleon to find out exactly. http://lovethatbarbecue.com/thinking-of ... _in_Canada
It makes sense, since the China made LEX is placed above the rogue, so why should the rogue be made in Canada when the LEX (mirage) isn't. At most, they are assembled in Canada with imported parts, and as usual, every company claims to have a lot of supervision of their china factory to ensure the highest quality, but up to you on how much that holds water.
Dec 19, 2010
386 posts
30 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:38 am
Actually, it's not made in Canada. At most, It's assembled in Canada. I also thought the SIB was made in Canada for a while. I think it's just rumours.

I'll paste this from a previous post:

I thought some of the rogues are made in Canada, I forget where I read that, but now I don't think so. This website does a good job of explaining napoleon's line and they emailed napoleon to find out exactly. http://lovethatbarbecue.com/thinking-of ... _in_Canada
It makes sense, since the China made LEX is placed above the rogue, so why should the rogue be made in Canada when the LEX (mirage) isn't. At most, they are assembled in Canada with imported parts, and as usual, every company claims to have a lot of supervision of their china factory to ensure the highest quality, but up to you on how much that holds water.
Thanks for sharing the link. I read the entire page and I read was at the bottom that one of the commenters claimed they contacted Napoleon who confirmed the Prestige, Prestige Pro and this specific Rogue R425SIB is manufactured in Canada. With this said, I’m going to call them myself today to find out for sure!
Hello Alex,
If you were looking for Canadian made product in our lines you would want to restrict your search to our Prestige and Prestige Pro line of grills as well as our R425SIB (Rogue 425 with side infra red burner).
These are made here in Barrie, Ontario, the birthplace of Napoleon. All of our grills are engineered, designed, quality controlled and warranty parts are stocked in Ontario.
Our LEX, and Triumph lines are manufactured in our completely owned and operated plant overseas.
Dec 19, 2010
386 posts
30 upvotes
callmebob wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 7:43 am
Thanks for sharing the link. I read the entire page and I read was at the bottom that one of the commenters claimed they contacted Napoleon who confirmed the Prestige, Prestige Pro and this specific Rogue R425SIB is manufactured in Canada. With this said, I’m going to call them myself today to find out for sure!
Update: I called Napoleon and they confirmed the manufacture of the Rogue R425SIB was recently moved from Canada to OVERSEAS. That settles that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

the_norm