Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Feb 2, 2017
205 posts
183 upvotes
If anyone knows a good BBQ sale going on right now please let me know. I have a BBQ on Sunday with friends.

I got a Broil King Sovereign 90 (natural gas) and I am 100% dissatisfied with it. I was burning off the grease and it felt wrong because the flame was so high. I turned it off and was greeted by a melted rotisserie and basically destroyed cook box. The rep said the regulator was broken and told me they can replace part by part. I think I'm just going to return it to the store.
Images
  • MVIMG_20180629_164802.jpg
  • MVIMG_20180629_165128.jpg
  • MVIMG_20180629_165304.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1367 posts
611 upvotes
Vancouver
@jaydubz holy shit that sucks

Is charcoal a consideration? If you're hosting friends it usually means you have time, and it tastes great. you could even smoke a pork shoulder and have pulled pork ready if they come over in the late afternoon.. or a brisket if time is really permitting.

I don't see any hot sales online, but kettles (premium or master touch, with the ash bucket) are relatively cheap and it can tie you over until you get a deal on a gas grill you want. If you go to the stores, there may be some clearances like how the other fellow saw one at rona. they're usually not advertised online.
Feb 2, 2017
205 posts
183 upvotes
I went to Rona and they had the Genesis E-310 stainless steel for $950. It's the propane version though. Aside from that, there were some Spirit models for sale as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5724 posts
1605 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 8:29 pm
@jaydubz holy shit that sucks

Is charcoal a consideration? If you're hosting friends it usually means you have time, and it tastes great. you could even smoke a pork shoulder and have pulled pork ready if they come over in the late afternoon.. or a brisket if time is really permitting.

I don't see any hot sales online, but kettles (premium or master touch, with the ash bucket) are relatively cheap and it can tie you over until you get a deal on a gas grill you want. If you go to the stores, there may be some clearances like how the other fellow saw one at rona. they're usually not advertised online.
One of the biggest drawbacks of charcoal for most people is the time it takes to get the coals hot enough to cook.
There are couple of simple ways to shorten the lag time from lighting to cooking - use a charcoal chimney - or - I use a propane roofer's torch (the kind they use to torch down roofing materials) - I have the charcoal ready for cooking in 5 minutes - it's also great for burning off the weeds between my interlocking brick patio.
https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
Mar 8, 2006
264 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the info on the Ss grates, ended up picking up the signet, from Rona in richmond. Was missed priced and then put on clearance.
Nov 18, 2006
59 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
For anybody in the GTA looking for a Weber Genesis II S310 natural gas unit I saw a display unit at HD Stockyards on sale for $800.

It wasn't with the rest of the barbecues but instead towards the back of the store near the lights.
Jan 13, 2004
640 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
Balzard wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 2:51 pm
I need your help: I recently bought a new BBQ and I would like to sell the cast iron grids of my last BBQ (I have only used them for one season). The problem is that they are slightly rusted, and I can't manage to get rid of the rust in order to season them properly. I have tried putting them in my self-cleaning oven (twice!) as well as letting them soak in a vinegar + baking soda solution, but it's no use.

What options do you recommend? Using chemical solutions, like C.L.R.? (Is it even safe, since it will be used to cook food afterwards?)
How rusted are they? If it's just light surface rust, citric acid powder + light scrubbing will get off all the rust. Bar Keepers Friend will also work.
Jan 13, 2004
640 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
jaydubz wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 8:11 pm
If anyone knows a good BBQ sale going on right now please let me know. I have a BBQ on Sunday with friends.

I got a Broil King Sovereign 90 (natural gas) and I am 100% dissatisfied with it. I was burning off the grease and it felt wrong because the flame was so high. I turned it off and was greeted by a melted rotisserie and basically destroyed cook box. The rep said the regulator was broken and told me they can replace part by part. I think I'm just going to return it to the store.

I'd return it for another one. It's not impossible to fix, but you're basically going to have to go through a lot of trouble replacing the parts one by one.

How long did you do the burn off with the lid down? Even if the regulator was defective, didn't you keep an eye on the temperature when you did the burn off? The thermometer must have been pinned to get the BBQ hot enough to crack the casting.
Oct 22, 2004
484 posts
92 upvotes
What's the best option for a BBQ in the <$200 range? Going on a balcony.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1367 posts
611 upvotes
Vancouver
Stabwound wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 11:42 am
What's the best option for a BBQ in the <$200 range? Going on a balcony.
weber Q series.

Q1000 for $219 @ full price. or get the q1200 or q2200 used on craigslist, or be lucky with a sale (hard to come by)
Get a hose to connect it to the large propane tanks and it'll be a cheaper way to get gas vs the tiny green propane tanks.
Nov 16, 2007
52 posts
10 upvotes
Bought a second hand Signet, but realized the natural gas line outside is not set up for a quick connect, just a cap and shutoff.
Is this something I can do myself? Or do I need a licensed technician for insurance purposes?
Apr 8, 2007
511 posts
62 upvotes
Spoke with a dealer here and was told they are not likely to order any broil kings till 2 months after when it is the low season. ( In early Sep)

I asked for a special order for the sovereign bbq, was told I have to wait for 3 weeks and plus a handling fee of $149 .. I told them to fuxx off.

From the conversation, I may have to drive up island to get one… will post final receipt when I get it.
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16262 posts
4939 upvotes
Toronto
jaydubz wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 8:11 pm

Wow, that is a pretty nasty hot spot! So it was the rotisserie burner that went out of control? I have the propane edition of this BBQ and have done a number of roast chickens with good success. The rotisserie burner can get the thermostat to 450F even at the lowest heat setting. The thermostat needle goes off scale high at the higher settings. I have never had to use the high setting when cooking anything as doing so would char the meat pretty quick.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

gagigagu