Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Merged] BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5758 posts
1640 upvotes
pulsar123 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 2:08 pm
We just got this stainless steel 4-burner BBQ + a side burner from walmart (it was the last one in our store, but more are coming this week):

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-g ... 0197476057

It is only 200$ on sale, but it looks a feels like a quite a bit more expensive model. The total weight is almost 40 kg, and most of the parts are thick and sturdy (the grill, the stainless steel cover etc). The only spot they cheaped out was the plastic knobs. We haven't tried it yet (I just assembled it). This is exclusive to walmart, so very few reviews can be found. (The one on walmart.com with lots of reviews was discontinued in 2014, and looks quite a bit different from our model.)
Another low end made in China 3 year lifespan BBQ.
Aug 6, 2014
720 posts
188 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
pulsar123 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 2:08 pm
We just got this stainless steel 4-burner BBQ + a side burner from walmart (it was the last one in our store, but more are coming this week):

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-g ... 0197476057

It is only 200$ on sale, but it looks a feels like a quite a bit more expensive model. The total weight is almost 40 kg, and most of the parts are thick and sturdy (the grill, the stainless steel cover etc). The only spot they cheaped out was the plastic knobs. We haven't tried it yet (I just assembled it). This is exclusive to walmart, so very few reviews can be found. (The one on walmart.com with lots of reviews was discontinued in 2014, and looks quite a bit different from our model.)
let me know how it works! contrary to the comment above, i wouldn't be suprised if it lasts a lot longer than 3 years. i bought the cheapest crappy tire propane bbq they had (i think it was the master chef 280), it was $100, and it has lasted 8 years now, and that's leaving it out exposed over winter. this is it's last summer but i would totally go buy another one, and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a lot of money and wants a small bbq.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1627 posts
640 upvotes
Indeed - my much crappier previous BBQ (150$ from Canadian Tire) lasted well over 5 years (stored outside; no cover) until it succumbed to rust. My relative's 1000$+ BBQ also developed serious rust issues over the same time span (they do use cover). The new BBQ looks and feels much better than my previous one, but of course only time will tell. I got a cheap cover from Walmart this time - only 12$, and is a good match to the BBQ.
Apr 8, 2007
511 posts
62 upvotes
HomeDepot@Victoria BC is clearing out e210 NG bbqs. ( down from 669 to 425??) there are about 4 units left in the garden center.... good luck
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
Sep 18, 2011
85 posts
17 upvotes
Guy who bought $1500 Weber here. I had a Sunbeam (?) BBQ from Canadian Tire. Lasted 12 years with at least once a week use throughout the year! It had a $10 cover from Superstore. The metallic burner cover rusted after first year so I bought some ceramic tiles with holes from Superstore for $20 (never found them again). Then using a smaller grate I covered the burners. Heating it took a bit longer but it made fantastic steaks, pizzas and kebabs and the heat was quite even throughout. Burner rusted last year and then the cookbox fell out when I was moving it in the spring.

Given that, I do expect the Weber to outlast me.
Aug 20, 2015
115 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
Out of Weber & Napoleon, which warranty program do you guys have the most faith in? Which is less hassle for getting warranty related replacement? 3 burner grill is enough for me I think, unless 4 burner is not much more and worth it. NG probably better cuz it's cheaper per use I guess? I have a line outside, don't know what I need to connect to it though...

Weber Genesis 2 have 10 years warranty for EVERYTHING supposedly?? Though they now are made in China... But if everything is covered under warranty, then it should be fine for at least 10 years right? Anyone have experience with Weber NOT covering something under warranty?

Napoleon rogue 425rsib (or some 525 model I saw somewhere online) says 15 years for base (so the cart?), lid, SS cooking grids, 10 years for SS burners, and 5 for infrared burners, BUT only 2 years for everything else... I believe these are the only 2 rogues made in Canada right?

The premium models might be at the very limit of my budget... But come with same 10/5 years warranty for almost everything but has 50% off parts after that for life... But ppl will probably change BBQ anyways after 15 years I'm thinking? Base/lid/SS grids are for life too. Yet again ONLY 2 years for all other parts...

Napoleon: what are the parts that only have 2 years warranty coverage? they don't even have 50% off those parts either?

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1491 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
@elitekillah Rogue isn't made in Canada anymore, at least one person called recently and reported it in this thread. But they are made in China under Napoleon's supervision. Up to you on what that's worth.

Weber Gen II non-lx is made in China, again under Weber's supervision. Gen II LX is made in North America.

Weber warranty: https://www.weber.com/CA/en/service/war ... 31692.html

Napoleon warranty: https://www.napoleongrills.com/Support/ ... nformation

I've only used weber for a warranty, but was satisfied with the service I got.

If you have a NG line already, it is cheaper and very nice not having to worry about tanks.
Jul 11, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
YMMV - The Bay is having a clearance of their BBQs (Weber and Broil King). 20% extra on top of clearance price (suppose to start on 13th, but the sales associate gave it to me)
Images
  • 6157C2B6-3D1B-4096-9E20-E81E29715526.png
  • 238769F6-3C76-441E-8AE8-17CD9D23CDBA.jpeg
  • FA596066-1B07-4A50-8366-8789726893D4.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1491 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
crystal119911 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:20 pm
YMMV - The Bay is having a clearance of their BBQs (Weber and Broil King). 20% extra on top of clearance price (suppose to start on 13th, but the sales associate gave it to me)
Good for price matching at home depot! Did that for the Q1200 last time the bay had a sale and got an extra 10% off the difference without having to wait for the bay to ship.

edit: oh, this most likely won't be posted online, so showing it to HD may be more difficult.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1648 posts
75 upvotes
rpakdel wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 5:37 pm
The Weber II LX e-440 does come with the SS grates and yes, it’s the thinner ones (compared to BROil King and Napoleon). The next model up Genesis was in the mid $2000 range ... way out of my range.

I
The Weber Genesis II LX CSE-340 (black lid) and the CSS-340, both, come with the thicker 9mm SS grates vs the standard 7mm SS grates. They cost an extra $100 though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5344 posts
2280 upvotes
Just want to mention the customer service and Broil King has been amazing. I have a Baron 440 and ever since I got it installed, it has taken more than 20mins to get up to 400 and when food is on the grill, it hovers around 300. When I turn on the burners sequentially, I can hear the (natural) gas well in the first and second burner but can barely hear anything when I tried to light the third and fourth. I called Broil King and they asked what the WCP was set to (needs to be 7) and I said that I'd have to pay out of pocket for a gas tech to check. CSR said he'll send me a control assembly first (free - under warranty) and if that didn't work, then suggested I call in the gas tech. Thanks @Sypsy for recommending them!
Aug 6, 2012
307 posts
409 upvotes
AURORA
crystal119911 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:20 pm
What Hudson's Bay is this?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6019 posts
1003 upvotes
Rather than start a new thread somewhere, this seems likes the best place to ask.

I would love to get a Kamodo grill or. Pellet grill. I have enough points on my AMEX to get the Broil King Keg 5000. Would this be a good option for essentially is a free BBQ? I am not experienced with a Kamodo nor with charcoal, but I am sure I can pick it up quick.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1491 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
Gutty96 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 2:45 pm
Rather than start a new thread somewhere, this seems likes the best place to ask.

I would love to get a Kamodo grill or. Pellet grill. I have enough points on my AMEX to get the Broil King Keg 5000. Would this be a good option for essentially is a free BBQ? I am not experienced with a Kamodo nor with charcoal, but I am sure I can pick it up quick.
Check out the various forums for way more info:
https://www.kamadoguru.com/forum/14-big ... bubba-keg/
http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php? ... &board=3.0

One good thing is that you can use charcoal or lump without worrying about any binders leaching into ceramic (since it's all steel. And whether it's a legitimate concern is up to debate). Typically kamado users use lump though.

Free is free, so telling you to spend more for an alternative makes no sense. As for pellet vs kamado, you can also find people on either side of the debate. Does AMEX have a pellet grill available for essentially free too?

Youtube is a great resource. Let's find some stuff you could cook on it:
Ribs:

Brisket:

Pulled pork / pork shoulder butt:

Anyway, have fun.