Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Mobility - Retentions/Customer Care Deals

Mar 14, 2007
444 posts
120 upvotes
Brunswich

[Bell] Bell Mobility - Retentions/Customer Care Deals

Not sure if a previous post has been made about this (I did a search and found nothing).

Last week I called and cancelled my iPhone (due to issues I was having with Bell). I asked a supervisor to speak to Retentions, and he said he could cancel my phone right there. He called my bluff, and wouldn't cut me a discount even though Bell has made a major boo boo with iPhones in my region.
So my phone was set for cancellation 30 days from telling them I wanted to cancel. Fine.

Next day I call back in and decide to "un-cancel" my phone and plan.

One week later I get a card in the mail saying they are sorry I decided to terminate my account with them, and to contact their Customer Care line for exclusive offers and discounts. I called for the heck of it. The CSR knew I called in and reactivated, but just for coming back to them, Bell gave me free Call Display for 3 years ($7/month).

I don't have the exact customer care phone # on me since I'm at work, but I will post it later. For a 3 minute phone call to receive over $250 in savings isn't all that bad. Probably if I kicked up a fuss I could have got more in savings.

Just wanted to inform people of this just in case they call retentions who won't budge and do cancel your phone. Wait for the Customer Care Card in the mail and call away.
2770 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
That is a pretty sad business model to make a customer cancel and then offer them a good deal.

Ideally, the retention department should start with "I see you have been a loyal customer for xx years. What can we do to keep your business?"

11 years with Telus and I never have had the Bell approach yet. I just call to renew my phone and they offer me retention deals to save both of us the time.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2007
444 posts
120 upvotes
Brunswich
hightech wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 9:40 am
That is a pretty sad business model to make a customer cancel and then offer them a good deal.

Ideally, the retention department should start with "I see you have been a loyal customer for xx years. What can we do to keep your business?"

11 years with Telus and I never have had the Bell approach yet. I just call to renew my phone and they offer me retention deals to save both of us the time.
I couldn't agree more with you on that. The Supervisor I talked to was a gigantic a$$ who wouldn't cut even a $5 a month off discount because people are unable to call my phone. I can only do outgoing calls. It's a "known issue" in my region, but they had no ETA when it would be resolved. The supervisor was so sarcastic and wouldn't do crap and just straight out cancelled my phone when I asked. Getting the Customer Care card in the mail is better than nothing, but then again, this is Bell, and their customer service is down right horrible.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1467 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about call display being worth anything to bell. All their prepaid plans come with it free LOL.
May 14, 2008
488 posts
60 upvotes
Montréal
I call in december to upgrade my phone to the iphone.
The guy offert me right away the 50$ iphone plan + 10% off for 3 years + free call display + free voicemail + free iphone activation (35$)

So i have an iphone for 50.79, tx included for 3years
Sep 20, 2005
951 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Bell will always cave in if you sign on for three years. The key is to try to get a good deal on a month to month or a 1 year contract.

With all the new carriers coming on the market, I would be hesitant to sign a three year contract.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2852 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
Last week Bell reneged on a contract about half way through the plan essentially doubling the monthly cost.

Still waiting for a call back from a Bell Mobility manager.

Is there a direct number through to retentions?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1399 posts
61 upvotes
toronto
hightech wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 9:40 am

+1...i remember cancelling my bell internet..after 4 yrs of being with them and they didnt give a crap lol..
Sep 7, 2009
267 posts
1 upvote
Home
Is there new customer deals like they have for Rogers?
Nov 24, 2009
608 posts
73 upvotes
Fergus, ON
not much of a deal if you ask me. i believe wind mobile offers free call display. and my plan with bell incudes voicemail and caller id.

i cannot wait until my contract with Bell is finished. i do see many profits for this company when all these bogus contracts run out.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Nov 24, 2009
608 posts
73 upvotes
Fergus, ON
JonJubeTube wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 10:07 am
Last week Bell reneged on a contract about half way through the plan essentially doubling the monthly cost.

good luck, i tried this when they added 10 cents to every incoming text. turns out there is a clause in your contract that states "We reserve the right to alter the terms of your contract at any point during your contract given 3 months notice". so i called and told them they didnt give me 3 months notice and they said they did 3 months before they added the new charges, they put in the part of the paper bill that nobody reads. WHAT A JOKE!!!

i have never heared of a contract that allows somebody to alter the contract at free will. the only way i'd go back to bell is if they through in a new car with whatever garbage retention plan they offer.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1088 posts
71 upvotes
JonJubeTube wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 10:07 am

Check out this link from the CWTA on the new code of conduct policy: http://www.cwta.ca/CWTASite/english/codeofconduct.html. Unfortunately this came out after the SMS fee debacle.
Protect our customers’ rights when we must change contract terms

We do not change the material terms of our contracts with customers, without giving them at least 30 days’ notice. In the case of such material changes that are unfavourable to customers, we either give them the right to terminate the contract without any additional fees for early termination, or allow them to remain on the unchanged contract. This does not apply to changes that are required by law or regulation or changes to those services and features that do not have a fixed term commitment.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2852 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
The 'independent' agency paid for by the telecommunication firms responsible for addressing consumer complaints has made public only 9 decisions in 2 years... out of more than 70,000 odd complaints (3-40% wireless related)!

Accountability inaction. ;)

link
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1088 posts
71 upvotes
JonJubeTube wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 11:19 am
The 'independent' agency paid for by the telecommunication firms responsible for addressing consumer complaints has made public only 9 decisions in 2 years... out of more than 70,000 odd complaints (3-40% wireless related)!

Accountability inaction. ;)

link
That's actually because the companies will do anything to settle the complaint before it gets to the arbitration stage, where the cases are published. I know from experience, as I used the CCTS to complain about a bad experience with Bell and Bell eventually gave me what I wanted (in response to my CCTS complaint) once I told them I'd be willing to go to the arbitration stage. I personally believe the CCTS helped in my case, as my complaints to Bell directly went absolutely nowhere.
× < >