[Merged] Best Peacoat

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2014 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2009
759 posts
131 upvotes
ReganFire wrote: Anyone got any recommendations for peacoats for around 200 to 250? I am around 5'6" I was thinnking about getting a schot 740 then I saw how hard I would get dinged by duties and shipping and pushing my cost to $400. I was okay with it being around $345.
Check out Spiewak in your search...
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: I bought it in NYC so yes directly from them however since I bought it in the US I can't comment on shipping in Canada. I can comment on the fitting of the 740c though; it's a "slim" fitted peacoat so if you're a bit more square/athletic in build, might want to size up one. I'm a 34-36 suit jacket size and I got a 34 and it fits snugly but that's what I wanted. I can layer 1 sweater comfortably under the coat.
Thanks. I was told this one is heavy. The wool is pretty stiff and takes time to break in. It said the colour is navy but the picture shows it is almost black. Is it a really really dark blue?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Schott makes very good peacoats and jackets.

I have three (one for sale in BST) Schott jackets, a 740 peacoat and a wool car coat were purchased in NYC, at Nick & Son clothings ( https://www.nickandsonclothing.com/ ). They gave me a pretty good deal for two jackets.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zinc5212 wrote: Thanks. I was told this one is heavy. The wool is pretty stiff and takes time to break in. It said the colour is navy but the picture shows it is almost black. Is it a really really dark blue?
It's 32oz wool so yes pretty heavy but also really warm (I overdressed twice with it last week because I underestimated how warm it was lol). I haven't had much issue with it being stiff though. There's also a red lining inside which feels really nice compared to the linings on previous wool coats I've owned.

And yeah, it's practically black despite the description saying dark blue (you'd really have to scrutinize to see any hint of blue).
Mar 30, 2011
280 posts
65 upvotes
Are there any major differences between the Schott 740c and DU753? They look quite similar to me...can't decide which way to go.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tofueater wrote: Are there any major differences between the Schott 740c and DU753? They look quite similar to me...can't decide which way to go.
The 740c is slimmer in profile (both shoulders and chest) and it has leather trims (on the arms and behind the collar).
Mar 30, 2011
280 posts
65 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: The 740c is slimmer in profile (both shoulders and chest) and it has leather trims (on the arms and behind the collar).
One more question...I can't seem to find the materials. The 740c, for example, says wool blend, but I can't find the exact breakdown of wool vs other materials.
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: It's 32oz wool so yes pretty heavy but also really warm (I overdressed twice with it last week because I underestimated how warm it was lol). I haven't had much issue with it being stiff though. There's also a red lining inside which feels really nice compared to the linings on previous wool coats I've owned.

And yeah, it's practically black despite the description saying dark blue (you'd really have to scrutinize to see any hint of blue).
Thanks. Appreciate the information.
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
hOrnizuka wrote: FYI SchottNYC now has a Canadian online store.
Link? What I'd like is a chance to buy their Canadian made jackets direct from the factory and save on shipping and tax.
Dec 20, 2011
64 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Wow, this thread is still going haha.

In case anyone is wondering, I STILL haven't bought a peacoat!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2975 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
some reason color doesn't sit right with me as it looks more suited got a shirt rather than a jacket. but then again I got a camo wool parka so I shouldn't even comment...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)