Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Big Green Egg $899.99 at Costco Markham East Location

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2014 5:47 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2008
68 posts
24 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] Big Green Egg $899.99 at Costco Markham East Location

Hello RFD'ers

For those of you who are interested.. I just saw the Big Green Egg $899.99 at Costco Markham East Location yesterday . I believe that's the lowest price I've seen for it in Canada so far.

Happy BBQ'ing
793 replies
Jan 9, 2012
44 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
A mutant version of little green footballs, I suppose ...
Mar 26, 2006
433 posts
89 upvotes
Yeah, it's the large.. (the "Not This") in the picture... It's in BC too..
I've heard Costco in the US is selling mediums, and are getting in trouble for it since they're not BGE authorized resellers.
BGE is saying anyone who buys from Costco US doesn't get the BGE warranty....
Apr 8, 2007
872 posts
337 upvotes
I"d disagree with the above post. Large is the best size. XL is HUGE. Large looks small, but with a 2nd rack you can cook in layers. I'm made wings for 15 on the large.
This is a great product, very well built, and completely backed by the company.
I've stopped ordering steaks at restaurants.... with costco beef and my big green egg, I'd prefer a steak at home over Ruth's Chris any day --- no joke --- and I'm a meat and potatoes guy!

I paid over $1,000 without the stand 6 years ago. This is a good price (in Canada).
Alternatively, buy it in the states and drive it over duty free (made in USA -- Texas I believe) -- should be ok to import duty free under NAFTA.

The large weighs 140 lbs if I remember correctly. It fit in the back seat of a sedan. I seat belted it in. It was kind of fun driving around with an egg in the back seat.
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
ipassgas wrote: I"d disagree with the above post. Large is the best size. XL is HUGE. Large looks small, but with a 2nd rack you can cook in layers. I'm made wings for 15 on the large.
I've stopped ordering steaks at restaurants.... with costco beef and my big green egg, I'd prefer a steak at home over Ruth's Chris any day --- no joke --- and I'm a meat and potatoes guy!

I paid over $1,000 without the stand 6 years ago. This is a good price (in Canada).
Alternatively, buy it in the states and drive it over duty free (made in USA -- Texas I believe) -- should be ok to import duty free under NAFTA.

The large weighs 140 lbs if I remember correctly. It fit in the back seat of a sedan. I seat belted it in. It was kind of fun driving around with an egg in the back seat.

My sister in-law saw the large (18.5" diameter) at another GTA Costco but she said it was $799. She confirmed with the floor manager that they were legit and he said they aren't making a dime on them - just trying to create some buzz in the store. These things NEVER go on sale, so $300 off the best size to get ("not this one"??? wtf?) is a steal.

I found a medium one on Kijiji a year ago for $600 and I had to drive 1.5 hours in a ferocious storm to get it that day. I had a Google alert setup and it was the first time all year for someone in the region to sell theirs. The guy had two mediums and wanted an XL - the only reason he would part with them. And as fast as I was to pounce, someone beat me to the first one he had.

I barely know what I am doing still, but I've had plenty of people say my burgers are the best they've ever tasted. Everything tastes amazing when cooked on the Green Egg. This will last forever, and save you WAY more money in mediocre restaurant food. And if you like entertaining...prepare to do more of it!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1056 posts
370 upvotes
As much as I would like one of these, I am just going to make my own knockoff with big terracotta planter pots for like $50.
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
That's hilarious...gotta protect your eggs.

Did you have any idea how much it is at Costco USA?

While duty-free - I imagine that HST will have to be applied, when you declare...highly doubt anyone is going to try to smuggle this behemoth.
ipassgas wrote: I"d disagree with the above post. Large is the best size. XL is HUGE. Large looks small, but with a 2nd rack you can cook in layers. I'm made wings for 15 on the large.

Dec 13, 2003
526 posts
436 upvotes
Ok.....a few questions for the newbies here.
I understand that it is charcoal, and they talk about how easy it is to light (no lighter fluid), so....... How do you light this thing?

Found a video on how to start - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b_wQQTu ... re=related

Is it easy to control the temperature?
Are you now using this instead of a BBQ?

All in all sounds a bit complicated......
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1495 posts
746 upvotes
London Area
I was lucky enough to win a large egg a few years back in a backyard makeover contest.

Knowing nothing about BigGreenEgg or even that it existed, I would NEVER have spent $1500 on one myself. Now I won't grill in the summer without it (it can take a bit to light and in the winter you'll freeze your butt off....so I still use gas in the winter). That said I would find the money to buy another if mine ever broke or something happened to it!

There are tons of resources online to help you grill/smoke better too - even an excellent online community. After only having it for 4 months, I tried our Thanksgiving turkey on it. Filled up the charcoal, sprinkled in flavor chips and put it in for 6 hours. It barely fit but the end result was a great tasting turkey!

[QUOTE]Ok.....a few questions for the newbies here.
I understand that it is charcoal, and they talk about how easy it is to light (no lighter fluid), so....... How do you light this thing?
Is it easy to control the temperature?
Are you now using this instead of a BBQ? [/QUOTE]

Overall it's pretty easy to light (there will be days that you'll want to toss it off the deck though) and it can sometimes take a bit to get up to temp. Once there though, the temp control is the best I have ever seen. I can drop or raise the temp by 5 degrees with a small adjustment in the venting. I still own my propane BBQ but that's for when I'm mainly in a rush and for winter time. I've finally got to a stage where I can light the thing and have it ready to go within 10-15 minutes. It all depends on the lighting technique and charcoal used.

IMO it's one of, if not, the best BBQ/Smokers on the market - This is an amazing deal so if it's in your budget BUY BUY BUY!
Mar 26, 2006
433 posts
89 upvotes
antihero wrote: That's hilarious...gotta protect your eggs.

Did you have any idea how much it is at Costco USA?

While duty-free - I imagine that HST will have to be applied, when you declare...highly doubt anyone is going to try to smuggle this behemoth.
The medium is $579 at Costco USA...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1402 posts
250 upvotes
Must resist purchasing $900 item I didn't even know existed 5 minutes ago... :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
I hope this makes some killer green eggs and ham.
Nov 27, 2004
54 posts
9 upvotes
I've owned one for 3 years now. I use it year-round, in Ottawa. It sits outside, sometimes covered in snow. It is built like a Sherman tank.

By far, the greatest cooking purchase I've made. The reasons, you ask?

First: Flavour. It makes anything taste better. I make homemade, wood-fired pizzas on it, Thanksgiving turkeys, burgers, beer can chicken, amazing ribs, pork, and unbelievable steaks (750deg F searing).

Second: Ease. Once you figure out the butterfly vent and bottom vent, and the principles of controlling oxygen to increase / reduce fire, you will have no issues. I had it mostly figured out by the 3rd time I used it.

Third: Variety. I use it as a smoker, oven, and grill. I can cook cedar-plank salmon at 400 deg F for 20 minutes, and then within 3-5 minutes have it fired up to 600-700 deg F to sear some steaks while the salmon is still plenty warm for big BBQ dinners.

Fourth: Consistency. Once you set the vents to the right opening for your temperate, you can leave it for as much as 20 hours or so (some can get 24 hours) on a full load of wood charcoal. That means you can smoke the hell out of a brisket at a low temperature without having to babysit your BBQ.

The only drawback is that it is not as quick as a gas BBQ to get to the desired temperature at just the click of a starter. But the extra 10-15 minutes of pre-cook time is well worth it, and I just adapted my other cooking to deal with it.

You will not regret this purchase. Everyone who buys one turns into an evangelist for it, and everyone will rave about your BBQ'd meals.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
I'm seriously considering buying this, but is it covered under warranty if purchased from Costco Canada?
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1269 posts
14 upvotes
London
Can someone post the SKU if they get a chance. I'd love to grab one if they are in London.
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."