Group Deal Discussion

[Merged] The Butchers AKA Marlon Meats Organic Meat - Feedback/Discussion

Feb 1, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
I just thought i would start this thread to let you know what happened as i did get all my money back from buytopia. In december they gave me the royal run around. They offered to give me a credit for the 100 dollars i spent. i told them to forget it. I spoke to a manager named peter. they told me to speak to marlon. i spoke to marlon and they promised to give me my money back. they were totally full of it as they claimed they needed their accountant to send the cheque as they did not like to keep cash in the store and it would be in janaury.
in january the did not return calls and e-mails and they were now refusing even to honour the coupons.
i spoke to peter and told him i would just would sue them if they did not give me my money back. he told me they were going to sue marlon. i told him i did not care and i would sue them. (i am a lawyer).
he then told me they actually had just scheduled a meeting with marlon for that friday. when i persisted he agreed that if marlon did not agree to give me money back by friday he would make a special exception and refund my money.
i confirmed this in an e-mail to him.
i guess the meeting with marlon did not go well as when i next spoke to peter he agreed to refund my money.
that process took a little while as he claimed they did not have money in their paypal account or something.
last week they did refund my money.

here are a few tips.

1. be persistent. they are all very good at buytopia at giving you the runaround. don't accept their excuses.
2. demand to speak to peter the manager. you will get a whole song and dance about what it is about etc. etc.
3. threaten to sue them and do sue them in small claims court if you do not get your money back.
4. remind them you made a deal with them and not the butcher or merlin.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9455 posts
3850 upvotes
Toronto
Do not feed the trolls.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 4, 2011
1 posts
2 upvotes
I too received a refund through my credit card this week. It took months of threats including filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch but I got the money back.

Peter knows that the contract is between Buytopia and the customer and that's why he will give you a refund in the end.

The Consumer Protection Branch staff are very much aware of this issue. If you want to file a complaint they will become involved but you first need to send Buytopia a demand letter.

Here is a link to the Consumer Protection Branch's complaint process:

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/C ... _File.aspx

Don't give up.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
devilsknight wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 12:41 pm
I think it's just really sad that "Organic" meat was just meat 25 years ago. What was wrong with "free range" before ?! Wasn't all this crap that makes "organic" meat expensive the way things used to be done forever and requires actually less work and maintenance ?! How the industry has forced such change to flip the process to what it is now.

Think of "organic" meat as being the regular price and the non-organic as discount meat.

It costs less to produce non-organic meat. Personally, I buy from a local organic place (it better be!) and the chicken meat is much tastier and the sausages are much better than the local supermarket.

According to this person the sausages from Marlon's are NOT organic and low end compared to most supermarkets. It was an interesting read:
http://trueler.com/2011/04/09/the-butch ... -dealfind/
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
Now I have no chance of buying anything from Marlon's. I also took a look on the web......I would not buy those sausages even if they were 50 cents a pound.

According to this person the sausages from Marlon's are NOT organic and low end compared to most supermarkets. It was an interesting read:
http://trueler.com/2011/04/09/the-butch ... -dealfind/

To bad they do not put tattoos on scammers so they are easier to identify.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stuntman wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 3:42 pm
To bad they do not put tattoos on scammers so they are easier to identify.
The Scarlet Letter "S" - best idea I've heard in ages!
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Dec 8, 2006
386 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough
After quite a long runaround I just finally got a credit from buytopia for the amount of what I paid for the Butchers scam. No one is coming out a winner here but I am dismayed at the lack of investigation or action by authorities. Clearly consumers are on their own
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Irridion wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 6:09 pm
I am dismayed at the lack of investigation or action by authorities. Clearly consumers are on their own
Nothing will ever happen on their end, until something big enough happens to the voter base to make it an issue they can't ignore. Until then, service cuts, health care, (violent) crime, and transit infrastructure are the big issues and nothing else is going to happen.

The Butchers and Aubrey's may have been big insofar as group deal scams go, but we're still talking about a relatively small subset of the population being affected by stuff like this, and while it's true that a small group can often have a voice and influence disproportionate to their actual numbers (Tea Party, anyone?), they have to be organized and active enough to make that happen.

So, can we get politicians to act on group deal scams? Yes we can! ( :lol: ) - but only if you (we) want it enough to take action on it.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
661 upvotes
North York
Irridion wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 6:09 pm
After quite a long runaround I just finally got a credit from buytopia for the amount of what I paid for the Butchers scam. No one is coming out a winner here but I am dismayed at the lack of investigation or action by authorities. Clearly consumers are on their own

You guys are lucky to get your money back. I have called them a few times now and they said it's impossible to fo a refund since the Butcher took all the money. What should I do???
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Aritzia wrote:
Feb 5th, 2012 12:01 am
You guys are lucky to get your money back. I have called them a few times now and they said it's impossible to fo a refund since the Butcher took all the money. What should I do???

What about Buytopia's cut of the spoils? Let's see what they say if you ask for a partial.
May 18, 2011
530 posts
71 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I got all my money back from Webpiggy and Buytopia in the end but it took a few months of threatening and yelling at them to finally convince them to do it. Unfortunately, I have friends that I recommended this deal to that have not been able to get their money back. The complaint that Webpiggy uses such as 'OH we would go out of business if we gave back your money' is such a joke. No offence, but I don't care. If you steal someone's money you should give it back and face the consequences. If they need to recoup that money from the butchers, then they need to sue the butchers for damages. They would probably win, but this passing the buck back and forth is a joke. And that another deal company allowed the deal in Ottawa to happen and did not learn anything from the previous butcher deal just shows me that these companies are reckless and know that there is no accountability. I would be very careful with your money.
Feb 5, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
tammydbarrett wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 3:16 pm
I too received a refund through my credit card this week. It took months of threats including filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch but I got the money back.

Peter knows that the contract is between Buytopia and the customer and that's why he will give you a refund in the end.

The Consumer Protection Branch staff are very much aware of this issue. If you want to file a complaint they will become involved but you first need to send Buytopia a demand letter.

Here is a link to the Consumer Protection Branch's complaint process:

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/C ... _File.aspx

Don't give up.
Thanks for the info! i just sent in my complaint letter to Buytopia to see if they'll give me a refund before I file the complaint w/ the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. I remember seeing the segment that was on the 6 o'clock news last year on The Butchers, and when I think about it, if they sold over 10,000 vouchers and took in say $50/voucher, that's 1/2 a million dollars w/o having fulfilled many orders...that's quite a lucrative situation Marlon got himself into. It makes you kind of wonder...
anyhow, fingers crossed Buytopia does the right thing and refunds their customers b/c they entered into the agreement w/ Marlon, The Butchers.
Apr 7, 2011
128 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Almost hit page 2.... I don't think so!

***Bump!***

:D